PDA

View Full Version : Fun NPC Idea!!

arguskos
2009-02-12, 03:29 AM
So, imagine there is a lich. His name is Maradarsda the Wise, and he's neither one of the oldest lich's, nor the most powerful lich's, and in fact really isn't known for much of anything. Really, history would have glossed him over... if not for his one notable skill: binding outsiders.

See, Maradarsda was an amazingly skilled binder of demons, devils, angels, slaadi, modrons, whatever. If it wasn't from the Prime Material, he could bind it. Now, here's the wild thing: he never asked for a task, just a conversation. He wanted to learn about their lives, who they were, what they did, how they lived. Maradarsda was a collector of information for it's own sake. His library on the lives, ecology, and physiology of outsiders was among the most extensive known. And then, he simply vanished. For decades, people searched for him, but it was as if he simply disappeared, and so the search fell off. It was assumed Maradarsda ran afoul of someone who didn't appreciate his intrusion into their day, and his searchers left it at that.

However, nearly 600 years after Maradarsda's disapperance, a powerful vampire lord discovered the ruins of his tower, and found what had happened to the ancient lich. Apparently, he had discovered a cache of magical metal that served as a drain for other magic, preventing all spellcasting or spell-like abilities nearby it, and figured he'd try and recover some for protection, in case a planar binding spell went badly. However, much to the old lich's horror, a cave-in occured, and trapped him in the anti-magic metal of the dungeon (which had turned out to be made from lots of this material). To make matters worse, he hadn't brought his phylactery with him, so it was still in the safe chamber in his tower. However, he wasn't sure if he could destroy himself, and be assured of reforming there. Perhaps... the metal blocked that too. Maradarsda couldn't risk it. He'd just wait until he either dug himself out, or someone else did that he could bargain with.

The days stretched into weeks, the months blurred into years, and eventually Maradarsda lost track of himself in the endless decades. Eventually, he began his slip into madness, but like he himself, it was a harmless sort of madness. To drive it back, Maradarsda began doing anything and everything to sharpen his mental and physical agility: training with weapons he found in the dungeon; creating traps and statues and anything and everything to keep himself sane. He even went so far as to carve statues of friends and allies from days past to talk to, just for discussion and sanity.

Eventually, the vampire lord discovered the location of this cave, and more importantly, Maradarsda's phylactery. With this knowledge, and desiring the aid of the lich, the vampire lord traveled to the cave, and using his gaseous form, which was strangely unaffected by the metal's magic-draining powers, traveled through the cave-in and visited the lich. He proposed that he would free Maradarsda, and in return, the lich would bind several outsiders to his cause. Even in his addled state, Maradarsda was clever enough to think that perhaps there were other motives at work here, and declined. At this, the vampire became enraged, and produced Maradarsda's phylactery, threatening to destroy it. Even then, the lich still refused flatly, saying he wanted time to think things over. The lord fumed and swore, and then promptly left, vowing revenge on the lich.

Since then, Maradarsda has been busy, preparing for the vampire's return, laying traps and using his enhanced knowledge of the dungeon and his mastery of the blade to defeat and destroy the vampire on his return.

So, with the story over, I wanted to get some feedback on Maradarsda. Is this idea cool? Is he a neat NPC that players might like, esp. since the vampire lord in question is their enemy too, and he might be persuaded to ally with them. Mostly, I just wanted to share, since it was really awesome, and I thought ya'll might enjoy.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-12, 03:45 AM
I really like the idea. What is the Lich's alignment? I'm guessing it's some sort of good, but I wanted to check.

arguskos
2009-02-12, 03:47 AM
I really like the idea. What is the Lich's alignment? I'm guessing it's some sort of good, but I wanted to check.
Actually, he's Lawful Neutral. He was never Good, since ripping beings away from their homes and stuff to question them on their society doesn't seem to be that good of an act (at least, not in my mind). However, he's certainly a fairly decent guy.

Glad you liked it too. :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-12, 03:50 AM
You're probably right about it not being good (I wondered if he used the knowledge to help people). How long did he keep Outsiders for after summoning them?

arguskos
2009-02-12, 03:52 AM
You're probably right about it not being good (I wondered if he used the knowledge to help people). How long did he keep Outsiders for after summoning them?
At least a few hours, for a good long talk. If they wanted to stay longer to talk with him, he was willing, if they weren't, he sent them back, no harm no foul.

As for USING his knowledge, well, Maradarsda never really did anything with it. He collected and learned because he didn't know it, that's it.

Vizen
2009-02-12, 04:00 AM
That is a pretty neat idea actually. Kind of makes me think that just because he's a lich, doesn't mean he wants to kill you.

arguskos
2009-02-12, 04:12 AM
That is a pretty neat idea actually. Kind of makes me think that just because he's a lich, doesn't mean he wants to kill you.
Hey, glad you liked it.

To be honest, the idea grew out of a combo of me needing to find a foil to the really really evil Vampire Lord the party is fighting atm, and watching the movie Castaway (and the idea of a benign lich with statue "friends" was too hilarious to pass up).

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-12, 04:18 AM
I am going to steal this character at the first opportunity.

Very nice indeed.

(Kind of wish you had posted it to a more obscure forum, since I'm primarily running games here and I prefer to hide my creative sources as much as possible. :smallwink:)

Kyouhen
2009-02-12, 04:30 AM
That's definitely an interesting idea. I'm assuming the players will have to find their way past all the traps to discover the lich? Are you going to let them know beforehand that he's peaceful or will he attack them expecting them to be with the vampire? (Or would they attack him for being undead? :P)

arguskos
2009-02-12, 05:28 AM
Nothing like thievery. It's the sincerest form of flattery. Or was that imitation, I forget... :smallwink:

As for the PC's meeting him, first, they have to find out about him. Then, they have to dig out the dungeon (which is tough, since the anti-magic metal is harder than everything but adamantine, which doesn't grow on trees). Next, they must defeat his traps and tricks (many, varied, and all lethal). Lastly, they must meet Maradarsda himself, and convince him that they are there to help. If they can convince him of that, he'll join them to defeat the vampire and reclaim what's rightfully his. It's going to be AWESOME.

BobVosh
2009-02-12, 06:39 AM
Awesome sauce. In my game I have my players looking for a lich. This could be a fun guy to bother them with.

Overall he seems rather cool, but how are the players going to meet him?