PDA

View Full Version : Thesis Spell

Darth Stabber
2009-02-12, 09:52 AM
At a certain point my CN Soulcaster(wizard3/incarnate1) is going to take Arcane Thesis on one of his offensive spells. I'm trying to decide which one. It must be a spell between lvls 4-6(although i would consider a 3rd lvl spell since i have heighten spell to bring it up to snuff, and third spell level is just full of goodies). Current thoughts include: Enervation, Disintegrate, chain lighning, feeblemind, Cloudkill, and Black tentacles. Books readily available: Core/SRD, HoH, HoB, MoI, ToM, PHB2, and Dragon Compendium. If you suggest a spell not in those books, please include the text of the spell, because I probably don't remember it.

Kaiyanwang
2009-02-12, 10:19 AM
At a certain point my CN Soulcaster(wizard3/incarnate1) is going to take Arcane Thesis on one of his offensive spells. I'm trying to decide which one. It must be a spell between lvls 4-6(although i would consider a 3rd lvl spell since i have heighten spell to bring it up to snuff, and third spell level is just full of goodies). Current thoughts include: Enervation, Disintegrate, chain lighning, feeblemind, Cloudkill, and Black tentacles. Books readily available: Core/SRD, HoH, HoB, MoI, ToM, PHB2, and Dragon Compendium. If you suggest a spell not in those books, please include the text of the spell, because I probably don't remember it.

Just a question.. why not spell compendium or complete arcane/mage? For availability or there are other reasons?

Darth Stabber
2009-02-12, 12:04 PM
It is primarily a question of availability.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-12, 12:11 PM
Arcane Thesis is best if you have a lot of Metamagic. Damaging spells and Enervation are usually good, since they benefit the most from repeated castings(through Quicken, Twin, and Split Ray). Save-or-X is much more limited(no Empower/Maximize/Split Ray)and battlefield control almost never benefits from Metamagic. The Orb spells are usually well-liked(no save, no SR, no AMF, yes metamagic), and Enervation is usually pure Evil when Meta'd up to the level of 44 negative levels out of one turn, but immunity to Neg Energy is too common for it to really be Thesis'd, IMHO.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-12, 04:05 PM
My main thought is disintegrate, it benefits from Metamagic reduction and from the caster lvl increases I can get from Arcane Investment, it has damage on both ends and deals enough on a failed save that it is pretty much save or die. The feats that I want to use Are primarily Heighten and Quicken, both of which benefit save or X spells quite well.

Example
lvl 14(caster lvl 13)
Disintegrate
Base Save 16
Assume 24 int with items + 7
arcane investment +2
Midnight metamagic(2 essentia invested) and Arcane Thesis reducing metamagic cost to Highted spell by 4 lvls to 1 spell lvl(now takes a 7th lvl slot) + 4
Spell Focus(trans) +1
Fort save 30
and through arcane investment i gain +2 to caster lvl for a total of 15
So save or take 30d6

Any better spells for this build?