PDA

View Full Version : Barding and Proficiency

D-naras
2009-02-12, 03:57 PM
I'm in the process of stating my Unicorn animal companion and i can't seem to find if barding requires a proficiency feat like normal armor....
SO I turn to you, great seers of the playground, for help!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-12, 05:35 PM
It does. However, proficiency penalties are based on ACP. Masterwork Studded Leather is perfect for this.

D-naras
2009-02-12, 06:32 PM
And that handles that. Thank you Sstoopidtallkid.

So much for my Full Plated Horned Horse of Love....

LibraryOgre
2009-02-12, 06:47 PM
FWIW, I allow a variety of creatures (including fey) to substitute levels of NPC classes for their HD. Thus, a Unicorn might have a few levels of Warrior, giving it less skill points, but proficiency with armor.

D-naras
2009-02-12, 06:58 PM
Well, then i might as well give him Greatsword horseshoes and Power Attack...

But how would he swing it two-handed(footed?hooved?)?:smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2009-02-12, 08:32 PM
Well, then i might as well give him Greatsword horseshoes and Power Attack...

But how would he swing it two-handed(footed?hooved?)?:smalltongue:

Hilarious. However, it explains animals that are set to be warriors, or skilled, or mixed (aristocrats), and replaces the lackluster racial HD.

D-naras
2009-02-13, 07:12 AM
Hilarious.
I wasn't making fun of your houserule, I was just having a funny image. Sorry if that offended you...:smallmad:

LibraryOgre
2009-02-13, 04:45 PM
I wasn't making fun of your houserule, I was just having a funny image. Sorry if that offended you...:smallmad:

No problem; I can get having a posting in response to a funny mental image.

Fhaolan
2009-02-13, 05:20 PM
It does. However, proficiency penalties are based on ACP. Masterwork Studded Leather is perfect for this.

You know, all the years I've been playing 3.x D&D, and I never bothered to look up what the penalty was for wearing armor non-proficiently. Huh, how about that.

hamishspence
2009-02-14, 08:16 AM
should any creature with "war" in its name get proficiency? If not, does that mean paladin warhorses have to carefully pick feats as they level up?

Glimbur
2009-02-14, 09:00 AM
There's a Warbeast template in MMII. Not so relevant to critters like unicorns or paladin mounts, but it gives proficiency in all armors, more Str, some Con, and other goodies. All at the low low cost of one racial hit die. Worth considering if you're playing an Awakened Dire Bear in an epic game or some such.

Fhaolan
2009-02-14, 12:43 PM
should any creature with "war" in its name get proficiency? If not, does that mean paladin warhorses have to carefully pick feats as they level up?

In 3.0's Masters of the Wild, they go into more detail about the Handle Animal skill's list of tricks you can train an animal to do. One of those tricks is to wear armour. I think there's even more detail somewhere else, where they package up 'wartraining' as a collection of tricks.

I don't know what they did in the transition to 3.5.