PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Advancing from Blackguard

Narmoth
2009-02-12, 04:07 PM
So, I'm a lvl 7 blackguard. I'm not really getting any more abilities except for improvement of sneak attack, so I think I should find a new class for the next level. Any suggestions?

I'm focusing on dealing massive amounts of melee dmg by means of spells that increase dmg and attack bonus (divine sacrifice, masochism and so on)
I'm a bit short on hp, and fight with a greatsword.
I'm planning on taking the diehard feat as next feat
My ECL is 13, due to 6 lvls of paladin

Person_Man
2009-02-12, 04:26 PM
It's a shame that you didn't go Paladin 11 before your fall. That way you'd be a Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10, minimizing the useless Fallen Paladin levels.

Anywho, your best bet is probably Hexblade. This will get you Mettle and your Cha to Saves. Buy a Ring of Evasion, and you're 95%ish invulnerable to magic that allows Saves.

Darth Stabber
2009-02-12, 04:45 PM
Good options include
Duskblade - can channel touch spells into melee attacks, full bab, d8 hitdie
Warlock - 3/4 BAB, d6 hit die, incantation that allows you to add eldritch blast damage to melee attack(but not full attack)
Psychic Warrior - 3/4 BAB d8 hitdie, Several good powers to help the aspiring melee'r
Dread Commando - if you can get dodge and mobility, 5 lvl prc, full bab, d10 hitdie, sudden strike, reduce armor check penalties, reduced penalties for doing things while hiding and Give you and your party initiative bonus,
Warmind
Soulborn - use incarnum to fuel you hate
Paladin variants from Unearthed Arcana

AslanCross
2009-02-12, 05:48 PM
If you're allowed to use ToB, taking Crusader helps your tanking. Half your class levels also stack with any Crusader levels afterward, so you can qualify for higher-level maneuvers.

Stephen_E
2009-02-12, 07:55 PM
As mentioned Hexblade is strong.

You don't mention your Fendish Servant, but if you want to boost that you could see if your DM will allow you to use the Leadership/Cohort=special mount Paladin option with your Fiendish Servant. Nightmare Fiendish Servant with class levels could be fun (although you might have people asking the Nightmare why he/she's hanging with the dweeb, given that he'll be gaining HD faster than you)

Having a big nasty fiendish servant/cohort as a meat shield will help some with your low hps.

I have a current Druid/Blackguard PC who's working on having an Animal Companion/Fiendish Servant/Cohort who'll be getting HD at over twice his rate.:smallbiggrin:

Stephen E

woodenbandman
2009-02-12, 08:00 PM
Hexblade is probably your best bet. After your 3 level dip into hexblade, go Crusader. It'd be nice if you could get in 7 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator, maybe via retraining, but don't count on it.

You probably don't have the Tome of Battle. This is a problem which you should solve. By buying the Tome of Battle.

Teron
2009-02-12, 08:56 PM
It's a shame that you didn't go Paladin 11 before your fall. That way you'd be a Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10, minimizing the useless Fallen Paladin levels.
You don't get the fallen paladin abilities for levels you trade in, though. Granted, they're not all that great, but it's something... I guess.

Narmoth
2009-02-13, 03:53 AM

I'm hiding in a rather good group, and hellish servants would kind of tip them of
Also, this way I get sneak attack on flanking much higher than with full paladin level.

I'll look into the UA stuff. Hexblade doesn't seem the right choice as I usually charge in where the fight is thickest, and then discover that I have little hp left and could use a better armour as well

Stephen_E
2009-02-13, 05:38 AM
OK scratch the Nightmare, but if you grab the Paladin advanced Special Mount list (pg 202? DMG) that gives you the basis for a wide scope of non-obvious Blackguard Fiendish Servants. Basically a fighting mount or companion who charges in with you will take the heat of you.

I'd still recommend the Hexblade since it gives d10 HD and doesn't take away any armour advantages (I can't think of any classes offhand that are going to boost your armour in any relevant way). Use the Dark Aura? familiar replacement from PH2. Also look at the fix around that gives you more curses based on your Cha bonus (I assume you have a Cha bonus). The Dark Companion stacks with your Blackguard Aura of Despair ability and gives a reason for your casters to target those a round you with "Save or Suck/Lose/Die" spells. The Curse will also decrease the enemies ability to damage you.

If you're looking for a class at this point that will allow you to charge into combat without thinking and not find yourself low on hp's and over your head, well I don't think there is one. The problem is your tactic, not your class. Best hope I can think off is Frenzied Berserker which will require 1 Barb level and a feat from memory. And it should be noted that there are fewer groups who'll adventure with a Frenzied Berserker than there are that'll adventure with a Blackguard. With the exception of Paladin group even good groups are probably going to be less unhappy finding out you're a Blackguard than a Frenzied Berserker.

Stephen E