PDA

View Full Version : [SWSE] Optimization Help

Jansviper
2009-02-12, 04:55 PM
My F2F DM may be starting a Star Wars Sage Edition game soon, and with absolutely no experience in the game I find myself looking for a bit of help from the community.

The setup of said game will involve 6 or 8 Jedi players. Half will be Level 7 (Knights, is Knight a class or a title?), and the other half will be their Level 3 Padawans.

As one of the better RPers in the group I'm almost guaranteed a Knight spot (unless the DM decides it will be more entertaining to let me drive my 'master' crazy.) and I have a general idea of what I want to do.

Specifically, I want to build a 'caster' type Jedi who focuses on Telekinesis. First, foremost, and always, with everything else coming second.

Of course, I have no idea how one would best do that. >>

Thoughts?

Mando Knight
2009-02-12, 05:30 PM
The setup of said game will involve 6 or 8 Jedi players. Half will be Level 7 (Knights, is Knight a class or a title?), and the other half will be their Level 3 Padawans.

Mechanically, Jedi Knight is a PrC. Your minimum level before taking a level of Jedi Knight is 7. (i.e. you have to have had a total of at least 7 levels in other classes before taking a level of Jedi Knight)

Specifically, I want to build a 'caster' type Jedi who focuses on Telekinesis. First, foremost, and always, with everything else coming second.

Of course, I have no idea how one would best do that. >>

Gain access to The Force Unleashed and KOTOR campaign guides. Maximize Wisdom and Charisma. Talents you'll want (from the Alter talent tree, available to anyone with Force Sensitivity):
Telekinetic Savant (Core): Extra uses of your Force Powers. Useful.
Telekinetic Prodigy (TFU): Free move object every time you take Force Training.
Force Flow (KOTOR): Gain Force Point when you roll a natural 1 while using a Force Power.

You can take Kinetic Combat (KOTOR, TFU) to let you telekinetically control your lightsaber and use Charisma rather than Dex or Str for attack rolls, and Force Blast (TFU) is your basic Not-Dark Force attack (other than throwing stuff at the opponent), and Force Repulse (TFU) lets you repel anyone who gets too close, potentially dealing damage. (Not as powerful as the SW Minis version of the power, though...) Force Whirlwind (KOTOR) is another damage-output-type Force Power, allowing you to lock down your opponent.

Ascension
2009-02-12, 05:38 PM
Off the top of my head...

Knight is a prestige class, though in this case it'll just be a title... you have to be level seven to qualify for it, you won't be able to take it until your eighth level. You actually probably won't want to take much of it, though. It's much better for saber fighters than "caster" types. You need a dip, IIRC, in Knight or at least Force Adept to qualify for Master, but you won't want to stay there from eight through... it's thirteen when you qualify for Master, isn't it? Like I said, I'm going off the top of my head.

For a telekinetic focus you'll want Telekinetic Prodigy (free Move Object with every Force Training) and maybe Telekinetic Savant (recover any TK power with a swift action once per encounter)... if you can talk your GM into allowing it, grab the Order of Shasa's Waveform talent too, it gives + Cha to damage with TK powers if you can spend a swift action to activate Waveform on the turn you use the power.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that defenses scale faster than skills do... against higher level foes you'll really start to run into trouble as a "caster" unless you can fulfill one or more Education Destinies to keep boosting your UtF checks. Skill Focus (UtF) makes you very powerful at low levels, but at higher levels you need more.

And that's just what I can think of immediately...

Jansviper
2009-02-12, 06:36 PM
He might bump us up to 8th knowing that, but w/e. I suspect it'll just be a title.

As for caster powers vs scaling defenses, my DM is very liberal to the idea of creative use of force (and Force, for that matter). I've already passed on the idea of taking a page out of Thousand Shinji's book (The Super Sonic I-Beam, for those who are unaware of what I'm talking about). This will not be a problem.

The same goes for the Education Destines I would suspect.

Opinions of Block/Deflect? If I'm doing my best to not focus on saber combat is this still worth getting it? Any style that I should be looking into? (Besides Dun Moch obviously)

Mando Knight
2009-02-12, 08:13 PM
Opinions of Block/Deflect? If I'm doing my best to not focus on saber combat is this still worth getting it? Any style that I should be looking into? (Besides Dun Moch obviously)

Shii-Cho and Soresu are useful styles for Block/Deflect, which are in turn useful for defending against enemy attacks. Best of all, those four talents work best with a high-Charisma character, which a caster-Jedi would be.

Jansviper
2009-02-19, 09:56 PM
Alright! Now that the forums are actually working in some sort of reliable fashion once again, time for the second part of this here question.

Though before we move onto business I'd like to thank ya'll for your help. >> I would be lost as hell just jumping straight into this one.

It will be highly likely that my Padawan will *cough* find his way into situations that may be potentially dangerous to his health. On a regular basis. So regular that he may start cursing my name for throwing him to the wolves at every opportunity. What can I say? I'm a big fan of hands on experience.

Where should I lead my impressionable little learner that will involve him staying alive as long as possible? Padawan is, I believe, simply a title as well. (Odds are we will have a Healer on hand asap)

NPCMook
2009-02-19, 10:37 PM
Mon CalamariIthorian is the only race that gains a bonus to Wisdom and Charisma(Yes I checked) So they make great Caster type Jedi, also wouldn't be bad to take a level in Scout for the Long Stride Talent(+2 Movement while in No armor or Light Armor) It would give you the upper hand in keeping out of Melee range.

Max your Charisma, Train in Use the Force, and Skill Focus: Use the Force for a nice +15 at level 1