PDA

View Full Version : Lay About [Feat]

Triaxx
2006-09-22, 03:27 PM
Most wizards are not the greatest hand to hand combatants, but probably have some experience flailing their weapon about. Rouges would have a better knowledge.

Lay About (Wizard)

Prereq: Base Attack Bonus +1, Combat Reflexes

If the wizard is flanked during an AoO, he or she may strike at all opponents. Lay About does 1d4 damage, with the Wizards BAB.

Lay About (Rouge)

Prereq: Base Attack Bonus +2, Combat Reflexes

A Rouge may use Lay About during an Attack of Opportunity. This applies the effects of a sneak attack to the regular attack. If the Rouge is flanked, he strikes both opponents, but does not attack as a sneak attack. Lay About does 1d6, with Rouge's BAB.

InaVegt
2006-09-22, 03:30 PM
Minor nitpicks, it's called BAB nowadays (not THAC0) and you spell rogue rogue

Were-Sandwich
2006-09-22, 03:33 PM
I really don't see what those feats actually do. Maybe the wodings just a bit awkward?

fangthane
2006-09-22, 04:16 PM
It looks like the flavour might be intended as a sort of weakened whirlwind attack or something, but you're right, it's not all that clear what the actual intent is.

It also doesn't appear to make any allowances for skill, weapon bonus, or the like, and other than damage (which could be specified in a single feat) I can see no good reason 1) why it should be multiple feats, 2) why it requires weapon finesse where a wizard is as likely to use a non-finesse weapon (staff) as a finesse weapon (dagger) and often (elf) uses something far superior anyhow, or 3) why the wizard receives 1d4 (dagger) damage while the rogue receives 2d6 (greatsword) damage from what is effectively the same feat. I'd have thought BAB progression would cover the wizard-as-melee angle amply.

It does give me an interesting idea for a feat of my own though...

Flail Wildly
Prerequisites: Base attack +6, Combat Reflexes
Benefit: When any foe you threaten provokes an attack of opportunity, you may use additional attacks, up to the limit provided by Combat Reflexes, to make an attack of opportunity on that foe in addition to any other foe you threaten. No opponent may be attacked more than once for each such provocation.
Normal: When a foe you threaten provokes an attack of opportunity, you may make a single attack of opportunity on that opponent only.

Triaxx
2006-09-22, 07:18 PM
Too much time playing with the 2E rules, THAC0 sticks with me better than BAB.

It should require Combat Reflexes, not Weapon Finesse. I play with a GM that doesn't like undead, but loves waves of foes, so we end up mixing it up pretty close, and the fighters hate getting nailed by fireballs and DoT spells.

The Rogues tend to run ahead, and get into trouble. It should be 1d6, not 2d6.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-22, 09:58 PM
A rouge laying about, eh...

Otherwise, not bad.

Triaxx
2006-09-23, 06:49 AM
*evil grin* That's what Lightning is for.