PDA

View Full Version : Advertising webcomics

falconire
2009-02-12, 05:08 PM
I've been considering advertising my webcomic to increase hits, but I'm not sure where to go yet. I know there are quite a few people here with their own webcomics, so I'd like to hear what they've (you've) experianced with advertising, and what you would recommend.

TheDeeMan
2009-02-14, 01:24 PM
Hi Falconire. I'd suggest you try getting one of those $.70 Project Wonderful button ads on Girl Genius because both your comic and GG are steam punk and I think it's audience would enjoy reading your comic. :)

The jury is still out for me on which kind of ads work best (Project Wonderful or traditional banner impressions), so give them both a try. But I'd say target a like comic that is successful like Girl Genius.

Good luck. :)

Dee

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/6194/header01sqj2.jpg
THE CONTINENTALS. Murder, mystery, intrigue, and adveture.
www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/continentals/series.php

Jigsaw Forte
2009-02-15, 02:58 PM
If you have to think about where to spend your money on advertising, you're doing it wrong.

It's really best to note that your webcomic IS advertising in and of itself -- that is to say, advertising for eventual merchandising and books -- and take it from there.

The ideal advertising is convincing other people to do it for you, from forum signatures to blog posts and webcomic reviews. Costs you nothing, gets reasonable amounts of traffic. Barring this, paid advertising involves:

Project Wonderful Ads, which pay off better on similar sites and if your site is good enough to stand alone.
Convention Appearances, which you can really only do cheaply if they're close to home, but tend to work well the more you do of 'em
Other Paid Stuff, like flyers and business cards.

The best statement is to start cheap and work from there. Gets your feet wet without expecting a ridiculous ROI and provides a gradual increase in readers.

Beyond this, get on Twitter. Really. It broadens your profile and provides you a new medium to announce new pages and offers from, as well as collaborating with other artists.

Fri94
2009-02-15, 07:20 PM
Hey I have a new site myself, increasing contacts and getting link exchanges seems to be working well for me. I think if you want the big traffic you need to take every oppertunity available to get your comic out there. (but it is alot of work!)

I may look into twitter myself later this week.

TheDeeMan
2009-02-19, 07:22 AM
The ideal advertising is convincing other people to do it for you, from forum signatures to blog posts and webcomic reviews. Costs you nothing, gets reasonable amounts of traffic.

Truer words were never spoken. I had a guy just recently start posting around scifi forums about GAAK because he liked it and wanted to turn other folks onto it.

And a better example? If you check Girl Genius' Project Wonderful stats, it gets 400-500 views a day from the Girl Genius threads right here in this forum. So word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Dee

Jigsaw Forte
2009-02-21, 03:51 PM
And a better example? If you check Girl Genius' Project Wonderful stats, it gets 400-500 views a day from the Girl Genius threads right here in this forum. So word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Now to figure out how to get a discussion thread started about Last Resort here without having to do it myself, 'cause, well, it just looks pathetic if I have to plug my own comic. >_>