PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 double dipping paragon half-orc

JackQ
2009-02-12, 07:22 PM
I made a build that I have not seen posted and wondered if the forum readers would comment. Mostly I found the build fun and just wanted to share. As a non-full caster it's not optimum Power but it does allow a lot of options and fun play. At mid levels 8-10 he rocked; but I'm not sure where to take it for the next few levels.

TOB was not allowed. Completes, Unearthed some limited other material were. There was no option of a LA or non-basic creatures in the campaign so please don't comment about Minotaur/Full Orc builds.

The key feature was strength: At 8-9th level the walking around strength is 26 boosting to 34 in one round (Bull's Strength + Rage) or 36 with Enlarge. This allowed a base damage output of +14 that made most damage resistances futile. A lot time I just used MW weapons with power attack and blew through resistances; with keen falchion and a critical most CR equivalents monsters melted.

The human paragon levels add to cleric caster level so he casts as 2nd level clerical spells granting the essential spell Bull's strength (with pearl or wisdom boost 2x day). Also by taking Magic domain he has a CL for wizard allowing full wand use (divine and arcana) without UMD. This allowed for some major combat buffs like shield, displacement etc. This also enabled periodic "true strike" power attacks.

As trip master this guy tripped dragons, giants you name it. The spike chain weapon while Enlarged also enabled disarm attempts as well as heavy battle field control.

Half-orc 32 point buy (with +1 for low stat). I don't think I could do this on a <30 point buy.
Str-20 (26 at level 8)
Dex-12
Con-10
Int-13
Wis-11
Chr-7
Partial Feats listed:
Levels 1: Barbarian: Exotic WP-SC,
Level 2: half-orc paragon
Level 3: half-orc paragon (Rage) Combat Expertise
Level 4: half-orc paragon +2 str +1 str
Level 5: cleric (magic domain)
Level 6: human paragon (Power attack),
Level 7:human paragon ( Combat Reflexes) Took languages for skill. +1 CL
Level 8:human paragon +2 str, +1 str. +1 CL
Level 9: Fighter (Improved trip, Weapon focus SC)
Level 10: Exotic weapon master (Flurry feat)
Level 11: Haven't taken it further, could use advice

Skills: Max - Intimidate; appropriate craft for EWM; took many languages for roll play fun using Human paragon proficiency.

Dyllan
2009-02-12, 08:07 PM
It's not a perfect fit, but Streetfighter from Complete Adventurer might not be bad. Frenzied Beserker is always good, except for the part where you kill your allies.

The real question, though, is where do you want this guy going? Do you want more spellcasting, or just old fashioned better melee.

Honestly, advancing further in Barbarian or taking some Fighter levels wouldn't be bad either.

Also, if you wanted to roleplay a relationship with dwarves, there are some nice dwarven prestige classes you could qualify for after taking the 3 level class from Races of Stone that lets you qualify as if you were a Dwarf.

JackQ
2009-02-13, 11:22 AM
Thanks. I'll check out streetfighter.

I definitely could go fighter and pick up a feat (Leap Attack?).
I will keep going as a fighter with some gish.

One I'd like to do is take more advantage that level of cleric. I've got turn attempts but no CHR bonus to use most of the good options.

Eldariel
2009-02-13, 02:02 PM
Fist of the Forests from Complete Champion is always a good fit. While it would cut away your weapons, Bear Warrior from Complete Warrior would truly give you Str boost (Str +20 on level 10 while raging; effectively, you turn to Dire Bear but maintain your base statistics). It doesn't change your type so you could still Enlarge yourself into a Huge bear with 50s Str.

Other than that, taking Barbarian-levels with the Street Fighter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)-substitution levels could be good. They give you a variety of improvements when charging in exchange for DR, most notably:
Level 7: Increase critical threat range by 1.
Level 10: Make a turn during charge.

So that's a decent alternative. Then there's Ordained Champion in Complete Champion, which allows you lots of uses for your Turning and so on. You can adapt it to whichever deity you're serving; the only hard prerequisite is the "Weapon Focus in Deity's favored weapon"-part; you get that from War-domain though.

tyckspoon
2009-02-13, 04:08 PM
I would probably sub Cleric out for Psion, assuming you can get your DM to agree to the very modest change of letting Human Paragon advance it. Psion (Egoist) can access the same effects you want from the Cleric list, although it'll need a feat to grab Expansion, and you'd get more uses/day of your favored powers so you wouldn't have to rely so heavily on extra magic items to repeat your trick (11 base pp for level 3 manifester +1 bonus for Int= 4 Animal Affinities or 12 Expansions each day.)

If you do go that way, the obvious next step is the leading psi-gish class, Slayer. Full BAB, 9/10 manifest progression, an assortment of interesting and useful effects (and some utterly pointless ones.) Requires 5 ranks in Know (Dungeoneering) and the Track feat.

JackQ
2009-02-13, 05:10 PM
These are all really helpful ideas...thank you all.
1. I really like the Psion idea but can you tell me if there is a way to keep Arcane wand/scroll access?

2. I thought FoF was a Monk only thing. Can you describe a little better?
(I don't have complete champion but DM does so I'll take a look.)

Lycanthromancer
2009-02-13, 05:37 PM
The erudite variant psion from Complete Psionic has a net-enhancement that gives it the Spell-to-Power ability, which allows it to learn and cast spells as psionic powers.

Otherwise, take UMD (or research powers that do what spells do), and call it a day.