PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Race] Satyr

Fax Celestis
2009-02-12, 07:52 PM
Satyrs are fey creatures who possess the upper body of a human, but have a goat-like lower body. Satyrs of both genders possess horns, though these horns are largely ornamental--that is not to say they're not a point of pride; rather, they're merely not useful in combat.

Satyrs are frequently accused of being debaucherous to excess. This is actually quite commonly the case. For this reason, most satyrs tend towards the chaotic alignments--and in some cases, towards evil.

-2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
Medium size.
Fey type: satyrs are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person. They are, however, susceptible to spells and effects that specifically target fey.
A satyr's base land speed is 30 feet.
Fey Resistance: A satyr has DR 1/Cold Iron. This DR improves by one for every four Hit Dice the satyr has (to DR 2/Cold Iron at 4th level, DR 3/Cold Iron at 8th level, DR 4/Cold Iron at 12th level, DR 5/Cold Iron at 16th level, and DR 6/Cold Iron at 20th level).
Arcane Spirit: A satyr uses their Charisma modifier as their casting statistic for arcane spellcasting classes that use Intelligence as their primary casting statistic.
Scent: A satyr has a strong sense of smell. Satyrs have the Scent ability out to 30'.
Darkvision usable out to 60'.
Woodland Stride: a satyr may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her. A satyr who gains this ability from a class feature gains a +2 bonus on any check or save required against such magically manipulated areas.
Natural Magic: A satyr has a small pool of magical charges they may tap into daily. A satyr has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following spell-like abilities or to power a feat with the [Satyr] descriptor: charm animal, charm person, prestidigitation. Caster level equals the satyr's class levels.
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Giant, Gnomish, Halfling.
Favored Class: Bard

MammonAzrael
2009-02-13, 12:54 PM
I like it. It's nice that it's no longer an ECL 7 race.

I like that Fey Resistance and Natural Magic are tied to your character level, so your racial benefits improve as you do.

Why do they get scent? It's not something the 3.5 version had, and maybe I just don't know much about goats, but their sense of smell never struck me as a notable feature.

Arcane Spirit is very cool, and while a Satyr Wizard doesn't seem as "natural" as a Sorceror, this lets the player choose without hindering power.

Darkvision good, but why no low-light vision?

Woodland Stride is fitting. Nothing else to see here.

Natural Magic is an interesting choice. 3.5 didn't give satyrs any SLAs, but I'm assuming this is a trade off with the headbutt, and to help them be more mystical fey creatures, and a little less physical..yes? Or was there another reason entirely for giving them some SLAs?

And by-the-by, I do like the way you have racial abilities powered by charges. An idea might be to have them gained at every even level, to help stagger them with feats, since otherwise you'll be getting a new feat and a new charge at the same levels...unless that was intentional?

Oh, and don't forget to update your main D20 Rebirth thread with a link to the satyr! :smallsmile:

Fax Celestis
2009-02-13, 01:08 PM
Why do they get scent? It's not something the 3.5 version had, and maybe I just don't know much about goats, but their sense of smell never struck me as a notable feature.

Consider thus: "*sniff sniff* I smell... *sniff* woman."

Arcane Spirit is very cool, and while a Satyr Wizard doesn't seem as "natural" as a Sorceror, this lets the player choose without hindering power.Yeah. It's something I liked as a mechanic when I tried it before.

Darkvision good, but why no low-light vision? Because I find the two to do pretty much the same thing, and I thought Darkvision fit better. I don't really like giving races both.

Natural Magic is an interesting choice. 3.5 didn't give satyrs any SLAs, but I'm assuming this is a trade off with the headbutt, and to help them be more mystical fey creatures, and a little less physical..yes? Or was there another reason entirely for giving them some SLAs?Nope, that's the reason.

And by-the-by, I do like the way you have racial abilities powered by charges. An idea might be to have them gained at every even level, to help stagger them with feats, since otherwise you'll be getting a new feat and a new charge at the same levels...unless that was intentional?Intentional. Also, if you saw the Racial Feats thread I posted earlier (which largely use the same "charge" mechanic), taking feats that improve your racial abilities give you extra charges. So if you're dedicated to being a paragon of your race, you get the ability to use those abilities frequently. If you're not, you get them less frequently.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-14, 05:39 PM
Swapped Str penalty for Wis penalty.