PDA

View Full Version : [Minor Artifact] Cradle And All...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-21, 08:47 PM
Sleepinglass

A sleeping glass appears as a large, elaborately crafted hourglass made of deepcrystal and darkwood. Within the lower section of crystal lies a mound of slumber sand (see Sandstorm, p. 26). The sleeping glass is said to have been made by a powerful psion studying the affects of the subconscious mind. It is said he delved too deeply and was unable to awake, that he remains permanently in a coma, his body neither aging or suffering from lack of food and drink.

The wielder of the glass instinctively detects the presence of sleeping creatures out to 100 feet, though cannot pinpoint their exact location.

All living creatures within 60 feet of the glass automatically become drowsy and inattentive, taking a –5 penalty on Listen and Spot checks and a –2 penalty on Will saves against sleep effects while in range of the sleeping glass.

Once per day, all those that sleep or meditate within 20 feet of a sleeping glass gain rest at an incredibly accelerated rate. For each hour they would normally require only a minute passes. This allows those in range to regain spells or powers requiring a good night's sleep and regain lost hit points as if they had just had a night of rest. While within this slumber those that sleep are in such an intensely deep state of unconsciousness that no known method besides death can awaken them. Not even a Wish spell or similiar spells and powers are capable of bringing them out of this sleep until their time is through. While the others rest, the sleeping glass goes out of phase with the time stream as the Temporal Acceleration power.

Alternatively, the wielder of the glass can cause all living creatures within 20 feet that are not immune to sleep to collapse into unconsciousness if they fail a DC 30 will save. Those that sleep do so very, very slowly, going more into a coma as their bodies and minds shut down. For each hour they would normally sleep instead takes a day. Those within heal at this new rate, and do not suffer from hunger or dehydration any more than they would normally during a night's sleep. These sleepers may be awakened by rigorous shaking or by taking any ammount of damage, though there is a great shock to their nervous system that deals 1d4 intelligence drain. The hourglass likewise shifts out of time.

The wielder of the glass can choose to be affected by the abilities above if he or she wishes.

Strong Telepathy; ML 20th; Weight 5 lbs.

NullAshton
2006-09-21, 08:54 PM
So... spellcasters regen all their spells in an hour and 8 minutes, instead of 9 hours???

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-21, 08:57 PM
So... spellcasters regen all their spells in an hour and 8 minutes, instead of 9 hours???
Actually, 8 minutes instead of 8 hours. Unfortunately you are also completely and utterly helpless for those eight minutes, but hey...

(this IS an artifact)

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-21, 09:15 PM
Wow, I really like this artifact, VT. This is the rare item that's not only very useful, but beautifully simple. Great job. I've got to ask though, could a four-person party theoretically be completely rejuvenated in 32 minutes by passing the glass around? Or is it only usable one person at a time?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-09-22, 12:47 AM
I think it works faster than that; you just need to sleep within 20' of it. That implies that an entire party can gain its benefits.

Very nice, flavorful artifact.

What happens if you need no kind of rest, but are a spellcaster (such as a Lich), and get the accelerated sleep effect? Does the time it takes to clear your mind get accelerated, or does it only affect sleep/trance?

martyboy74
2006-09-22, 08:17 AM
How deep do you go if you trance in it's area? After all, the trance is a deeper sleep than normal sleep.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-22, 11:31 AM
What happens if you need no kind of rest, but are a spellcaster (such as a Lich), and get the accelerated sleep effect? Does the time it takes to clear your mind get accelerated, or does it only affect sleep/trance?
" Once per day, all those that sleep or meditate"

A lich doesn't sleep so gains nothing from this.

How deep do you go if you trance in it's area? After all, the trance is a deeper sleep than normal sleep.
I'm not sure I understand the question...

Triaxx
2006-09-22, 02:46 PM
This always assumes that one sleeps within twenty feet of the crystal. I can send my fighters to stand or sleep twenty feet away. After eight minutes my wizards waken the fighters, who come and sleep while the wizards watch. In sixteen minutes we're completely restored.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-22, 02:51 PM
This always assumes that one sleeps within twenty feet of the crystal. I can send my fighters to stand or sleep twenty feet away.
And the dragon flames the power users into char from above and wings it away.

In sixteen minutes we're completely restored.
Nuh uh, this works 'once' per day.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-09-22, 03:53 PM
My favourite part is the part that says, "...no known method besides death can awaken them."

I imagine that this could have been a mistake, but for those who feel death is, yes, an awakening into a new form of consciousness, this statement is perfectly accurate. ;)

fangthane
2006-09-22, 04:25 PM
Heheh I noticed that too... my thought was simply that it seemed a pretty ineffective way to wake someone, given that you save the 8 minutes of sleep only in order to spend 10 minutes on resurrection ;)

Triaxx
2006-09-22, 07:28 PM
And the dragon flames the power users into char from above and wings it away.[\quote]

Only if the GM is a jerk.

[quote]Nuh uh, this works 'once' per day.

True, but it doesn't have a time limit listed. It should work for exactly eight minutes. Otherwise they'll simply awaken and be replaced.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-22, 09:39 PM
Actually, 8 minutes instead of 8 hours. Unfortunately you are also completely and utterly helpless for those eight minutes, but hey...

(this IS an artifact)
The hour is for prepping spells. A Sorcerer or Bard would need 23 minutes (8 resting plus 15 concentrating), a Cleric, Druid, Ranger, or Paladin is out of luck until the designated time tomorrow (except for natural healing, eliminating fatigue, recovering ability damage, and the like, of course).

Umm.... how long do the effects last? Do they persist if the creatures are removed from the area of effect? I could see someone turning the "hour's rest per minute's slumber" effect on, then just grinning while they aged to death in their sleep over a period of a few years......

Oh yeah, and that's a fun Will save to make everybody in range a CdG target.