PDA

View Full Version : Haley's Intellect

Kronski
2009-02-13, 01:56 AM
Is there any reason that Haley's Intellect has pointy elf ears (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0382.html)?

I know this a *really* old strip, but I was reading and this caught my eye.

bluewind95
2009-02-13, 02:03 AM
I have heard that it may be because she respects Vaarsuvius's intellect and V has pointy ears. So perhaps Haley associates the concept with the elf.

Shpadoinkle
2009-02-13, 02:30 AM
Probably V rubbed off on her.

Sotharsyl
2009-02-13, 02:31 AM
That or she's actualy Vulcan

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-13, 02:38 AM
Elves are stereotypically wiser and smarter than we stupid, filthy, unwashed humans.

Brauley
2009-02-13, 02:50 AM
Elves are stereotypically wiser and smarter than we stupid, filthy, unwashed humans.

Now I feel filthy and unwashed

Optimystik
2009-02-13, 03:11 AM

Yet they neither get a WIS nor an INT bonus. Hippies.

Nimrod's Son
2009-02-13, 03:18 AM
Please! This is a family-friendly board!

Jural
2009-02-13, 03:24 AM
That or she's actualy Vulcan
That was my guess first time through. Although why the pink hair? No idea!

StrykerX
2009-02-13, 03:25 AM
Yet they neither get a WIS nor an INT bonus. Hippies.

Well, some Elf subraces do get an INT bonus... Gray Elves, for instance.

Underground
2009-02-13, 03:57 AM
Yet they neither get a WIS nor an INT bonus. Hippies. Sunelves, Greyelves and Darkelves all gain +2 Int.

Interestingly there is no D&D elf subrace that gains +2 Wis.

And theres elven subraces that get -2 Int: Woodelf and Wildelf.

Sotris
2009-02-13, 04:48 AM
On a somewhat unrelated note, I just noticed that Haley's side that is "sick of all this emo crap and wants to get back to comedy" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0319.html) looks exactly lke Haley does now!

I guess that has probably been pointed out already, but still. Foreshadowing?

Boogastreehouse
2009-02-13, 06:32 AM

No no! It turned out those were just Haley's two gemstones!

EDIT: D'oh! Failed my spot check! Didn't notice the ninja!

Snake-Aes
2009-02-13, 06:41 AM
On a somewhat unrelated note, I just noticed that Haley's side that is "sick of all this emo crap and wants to get back to comedy" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0319.html) looks exactly lke Haley does now!

I guess that has probably been pointed out already, but still. Foreshadowing?

I originally associated it with Haley's early days. She mentioned that she had cut it shorter than that when she gave up dying her hair black, which marked the end of her emo-teen stage. The "haley that wants to cut this emo ****" is probably the one from when she was, like, 16 or 17 and the emo thing got old.

Kroy
2009-02-13, 09:08 AM
I have heard that it may be because she respects Vaarsuvius's intellect and V has pointy ears. So perhaps Haley associates the concept with the elf.

This. Since V has the highest int of everybody we've seen Haley meet, it seems logical to associate h** to intelligence.

Adeptus
2009-02-13, 12:02 PM
They are "Spock ears", for the logical side of Haley's personality.

You are all so young :smalltongue:

Estovus
2009-02-13, 02:36 PM

Oh, sweet mother of all that is holy in this world, I haven't laughed this hard for months. Thank you so much.

DBear
2009-02-13, 06:06 PM
I originally associated it with Haley's early days. She mentioned that she had cut it shorter than that when she gave up dying her hair black, which marked the end of her emo-teen stage. The "haley that wants to cut this emo ****" is probably the one from when she was, like, 16 or 17 and the emo thing got old.

If that were true, then GothHaley should've recognized ComedyHaley, but she didn't.

Dixieboy
2009-02-13, 06:31 PM
If that were true, then GothHaley should've recognized ComedyHaley, but she didn't.

Offcourse not, she was new :smallredface:

Even if she knew how she had cut her hair after her emo period, i highly doubt anyone wouldn't have a "Who the hell are you" like reaction when another figment suddenly appears out of nowhere and tells you to shut up

Then again i have never been a figment in my entire life, atleast i don't think so

Optimystik
2009-02-13, 06:45 PM
Sunelves, Greyelves and Darkelves all gain +2 Int.

Interestingly there is no D&D elf subrace that gains +2 Wis.

And theres elven subraces that get -2 Int: Woodelf and Wildelf.

All of which are minority elves, and vastly outnumbered by Moon Elves outside of their home communities. So the inconsistency remains.

Good one :smallbiggrin: