PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds- Warhammer 40k

Guinea Anubis
2009-02-13, 07:43 AM
So after playing Dark Heresy two or three times none of my players really like it. They still want to play a 40k game but DH is not what they want.

Some of they things they did not like was they did not like how bloated the skill system was. They where not very happy with the combat system and how hard it was to hit something. They also did not like the lack of Space Mariens. So they more or less wanted a game with a lot more combat and less investigating.

So since I know they like the Deadlands Reloaded and the Savage Worlds system, I was going to use that and convert/make my own 40k setting. From what I can tell it should not be to hard to do, but I am sure there are pit falls I may be over looking. So anyone have any experience with making there own SW setting?

Kiero
2009-02-13, 07:59 AM
No experience whatsoever. But I can guarantee that within a few hours this thread will have disappeared.

In all honesty, you'd be better off asking this question on RPGnet, there's a pretty sizeable and active Savage Worlds crowd there.

bosssmiley
2009-02-13, 08:06 AM
SW + science fantasy? Tales of the Rambling Bumblers' Espers and Elves campaign (http://webamused.com/bumblers/?cat=3) has a couple of interesting SW additions (Cyborks, Zombots, hive cities, new character classes, etc.) that could be retrofitted to WH40K.

Guinea Anubis
2009-02-13, 12:05 PM
if anyone cares I found a good 40k setting for savage worlds

http://mancipiumds.blogspot.com/2009/01/warhammer-40k.html

Matthew
2009-02-13, 09:07 PM
Heh, heh. Don't let Kiero put you off entirely from posting here; he is right, of course, that the majority of people frequenting this forum are primarily interested in D20/3e/4e, but the only way to increase diversity is to post different topics, even if they sink to the bottom in a day.

The original Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader rulebook was part adventure roleplay game, part skirmish war game. It never quite managed the former, though, at least for me. I had plenty of marines and chaos stuff, but they never really produced enough "none military" models to use with the RPG element of the game.

A lot depends on which part of the canon you are deferring to when trying to produce a Warhammer 40,000 campaign. Savage Worlds should work great, but marines are still going to be contentious to stat out.

An isolated outpost adventure seems like the best sort to go with if you are looking for heavy combat. If the players want to take the part of space marines, then it is going to have to be pretty self contained. Perhaps they have been dispatched to investigate the sudden silence of a listening post, but their ship suffers damage, knocking out communications and warp drive or something. Hard to come up with something plausible that won't just default to them calling in backup and it becoming a wargame.

Here is the index of Savage Worlds Conversions (http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm)