PDA

View Full Version : (spoiler) Gnomes-100 Dragons -0 (Bakers in D&D)

pendell
2009-02-13, 09:56 AM
Not without precedent (http://www.waynesbooks.com/DragonlanceAccessories.html) I point to the 1st Edition book "Gnomes-100, Dragons-0" -- in which a nonmagical baker's apprentice saves Mt. Nevermind from the dragon armies, which include *multiple* dragons, as well as draconians, goblins, human mercenaries, etc.

Heh. Good times.

1) Anyone wanna bet Rich has read this book?

2) In the story, the protaganist

Wandered throughout the mountain enlisting allies and collecting gadgets for the showdown

and succeeded in seeing of whole flights of dragons with humorous effect.

Are there any other precedents for this sort of thing in D&D campaigns?

Or what about a roll your own: How would *you* beat an ALD with a commoner, assuming a lenient GM? That is, one who will enforce the letter of the rules but will rule in your favor if there is any ambiguity? And best of all, do it in a funny way?

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-13, 10:36 AM
Step 1: Use a variant rule that with a skill check, a natural 20 allows you to reroll and stack that onto the 20, repeatable as many times as you roll a 20.
Step 2: Use said variant method to achieve a DC 150 diplomacy check to get the Dragon on your side.

Eloel
2009-02-13, 12:06 PM
Step 1: Use a variant rule that with a skill check, a natural 20 allows you to reroll and stack that onto the 20, repeatable as many times as you roll a 20.
Step 2: Use said variant method to achieve a DC 150 diplomacy check to get the Dragon on your side.

Or;
Step 1: Use a variant rule that if you roll 20 on crit-confirm check, you reroll the dice. If that's also a 20, you kill the enemy
Step 2: Attack the dragon with banana nut cakes.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

pendell
2009-02-13, 10:21 PM
Thank you both.

Followup question.

The imp can transport 50 pounds of unliving material.

What sort of stuff would be useful to a D&D baker? It occurs to me that 50 pounds of material could translate to all kinds of ingredients.

How about this: V give the instructions on how to make a potion of thermonuclear DOOM! or whatever the equivalent in SRD is. Then that and the instructions are teleported to zir mate.

Another thought: It suddenly occurs to me that scrolls, wands, rings, amulets and other paraphernalia are also non-living. What magic items could V reasonably send to ze mate that zir mate might be able to use?

In a way, this reminds me of V's introduction in Origin of the PCs

Ze appears on iron mage , is given bat guano, and told to scribe as many spells as Ze can in the time allotted. Ze is disqualified for destroying the stadium.

It occurs to me this is the exact same type of puzzle: Do as much as you can with the material on hand in a limited amount of time. In this case, the 'material' is 50 pounds of nonliving material.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Borris
2009-02-14, 06:12 AM
"Gnomes-100, Dragons-0" was awesome in its own way, but where will V's mate get his hands on a steam-powered exoskeleton power-armor?

hewhosaysfish
2009-02-14, 09:52 AM
"Gnomes-100, Dragons-0" was awesome in its own way, but where will V's mate get his hands on a steam-powered exoskeleton power-armor?

The children will make one out of macaroni!