PDA

View Full Version : Help Me with a Build

Another_Poet
2009-02-13, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

I am rolling up a replacement character for a really tough campaign. This thing is a meat grinder; we're up against Tucker's kobolds here, along with Tucker's Kobolds with Monk and Paladin Levels and Tucker's Gnolls.

I would like to build a very effective first-level warrior type, who focuses on mounted combat. I'm just not good enough at optimising to build something that I feel is survivable, especially since I'm not super familiar with all of the allowed books. Please help me make something powerful!

Here are the allowed sources:
DMG, PHB, PHB2, Complete Adventurer, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior and UA class variants (no other UA material).

Here are the house rules:
Magic is nerfed
Rangers get an animal companion at Level 1
No Druids allowed
No Alignment
Paladins can smite anyone
No gnomes (nor half-orcs as I recall)

Some initial thoughts
A halfling may be the best choice, since the riding dog can be trained to trip like a wolf does, and can enter dungeons more easily (though almost all of the campaign has been outdoors so far). But I'd really like that human bonus feat and larger weapons damage die, so I'm a bit torn here.

Obviously a mounted lancer is cool, but what about a mounted sniper or TWF'r? I could take the feat that lets me use a 1-hander in offhand as if it were a Light weapon and go for two scimitars with improved critical. Mmm.

Does being mounted make Scout worthwhile? Personally I've found Scout mostly worthless since you can't get your iterative attacks and get Skirmish damage, but if you're charging around on a mount you're not getting those extra attacks anyway.

Thoughts? Any and all suggested builds within the allowed sources will be considered.

Thanks,
ap

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-13, 12:12 PM
Errata says mounted scouts do not work. It's dumb, but that's what it says. Your DM may rule otherwise, though, in which case a Halfling Charger is fairly nice. Scout is fine without being mounted, though. Belt of Battle, Pounce, Greater Manyshot, Sparring Dummy of the Master, generally the Scout can get all attacks and bonus damage with a bit of forethought.

How exactly was magic nerfed?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-13, 12:38 PM
Strongheart Halfling. Trades the +1 to all resists in for a Bonus Feat. Small race so you can ride your dog through halls, in fact letting you get into places that only Kobolds can fit into, but you still get your bonus feat.

"Onward, Ambrosious!"

Another_Poet
2009-02-13, 12:48 PM
Strongheart Halfling. Trades the +1 to all resists in for a Bonus Feat. Small race so you can ride your dog through halls, in fact letting you get into places that only Kobolds can fit into, but you still get your bonus feat.

"Onward, Ambrosious!"

For some reason, I thought Stronheart was from Eberron CS or something? If it isn't in one of he sources I can't use it.

Likewise, how can I gain Pounce using the sources allowed?

Draz74
2009-02-13, 12:55 PM
and UA class variants (no other UA material).

Good thing Gestalt is in the Class section, huh? :smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2009-02-13, 02:18 PM
Ha! I wish that counted :(

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-13, 05:23 PM
For some reason, I thought Stronheart was from Eberron CS or something? If it isn't in one of he sources I can't use it.

They're not from Eberron or CS, but I think they may be from FR. Check with your GM.

Pounce? Going to be tough. Since SRD and CompPsi aren't listed, you can't get it via Psionic Pounce. You're not allowed ToB, so no help there. You don't have Complete Champions, so no one-level dip in Lion-Totem Barbarian.

Oh, wait! Wand of Lion's Charge (It's in the Ranger spell list, I'm thinking PhB II has it) will get you 50 charges, with sufficent UMD check, unless you're wanting to go heavy into Ranger to get it.

Another_Poet
2009-02-13, 06:37 PM
Oh, I'm sorry, I should've said anything SRD is allowed. I thought that was assumed, my apologies.

However the SRD lion totem barb does NOT get the much-sought Pounce. It gets this lame slop bucket of abilities:
* At 1st level, a lion-totem barbarian gains Run as a bonus feat.
* A 2nd-level lion-totem barbarian gains a +2 bonus on Hide checks.
* A 5th-level lion-totem barbarian gains a +2 bonus on damage rolls whenever he charges.
* A lion-totem barbarian always agrees to buy a bridge if one is offered, sight unseen, and will spend his last cent to do so

How much does the wand of LC cost?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-13, 06:52 PM
Oh, I'm sorry, I should've said anything SRD is allowed. I thought that was assumed, my apologies.

However the SRD lion totem barb does NOT get the much-sought Pounce. It gets this lame slop bucket of abilities:
* At 1st level, a lion-totem barbarian gains Run as a bonus feat.
* A 2nd-level lion-totem barbarian gains a +2 bonus on Hide checks.
* A 5th-level lion-totem barbarian gains a +2 bonus on damage rolls whenever he charges.
* A lion-totem barbarian always agrees to buy a bridge if one is offered, sight unseen, and will spend his last cent to do so

How much does the wand of LC cost?

I believe you mis-read my post. The method using the SRD was Psionic Lion's Pounce, the lion-Totem Barb from complete champion has pounce at1st level.

The wand will cost you 4,500 (since it's a 2nd level spell). If you want to do it yourself, you'll need PsiWar4 (which will net you some bonus feats that can lead up to Deep Impact, which lets you resolve an attack as a touch attack).

If you're wanting to do some kind of an UberCharge build, here's what you can do:

Ranger1/Fighter2/PsiWar4/Slayer10

Ranger at first to get 4 ranks in Knowledge (Dungeoneering) and the Track feat as prerequsites for Slayer (which is 9/10 manifesting and full BAB and nets you immunity to mind-affecting).

If you're worried about lots of little guys, you can take the Spiked Chain, which is a two-handed weapon, do the whole Leap Attack (complete adventurer), Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior) combo with Psionic Lion's Pounce to dish out some obscene damage. The only problem is that it isn't mounted...

Stormageddon
2009-02-13, 09:43 PM

Strongheart is in the DMG. Towards the back, under subraces.

d13
2009-02-13, 11:49 PM
If you can manage your DM to allow Strongheart Halflings, then go for it.

If so, I'd go for Strongheart Halfling Fighter 1/Paladin X/Grey Guard X/Paladin the rest.

You get a better-than-regular mount, Smite Whatever (you already have this, due to your housrule) and a lot of other uses of Paladin abilities thanks to Grey Guard, and have a SHORTER stick in your arse than the Paladins have.

1st. level feats would be Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack and Spirited Charge (IIRC)... Then, cheese the hell out of it (at least, if you can xD).

Another build I recall was an uber-mount, that rends your horse (or whatever) effectively unstoppable, but I don't remember if I saw it here or in the CharOp boards x)

Eldariel
2009-02-14, 02:59 AM
Strongheart is in the DMG. Towards the back, under subraces.

I know they're in Player's Guide to Faerun, but DMG? Can you cite a page; a cursory glance through didn't allow me to find 'em and I can't recall them from the book either.