PDA

View Full Version : Pandemonic Silver

Person_Man
2009-02-13, 12:24 PM
OK, crazy little special material I just noticed in Complete Warrior, pg 136.

When drawn, weapons made of Pandemonic Silver force everyone within 30 ft to Save vs Fear. Failure means that they Cower for 1d4 rounds. The Save DC is based on the strength of the wind around you, topping out at DC 28 if you can get tornado (175 mph+) wind.

So is there any way to get Control Weather or some similar effect in a fashion that doesn't take 10 minutes to cast? Gust of Wind would work, but then the Save DC would only be DC 19 (which would still work with a debuff build).

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-13, 12:26 PM

When drawn, weapons made of Pandemonic Silver force everyone within 30 ft to Save vs Fear. Failure means that they Cower for 1d4 rounds. The Save DC is based on the strength of the wind around you, topping out at DC 28 if you can get tornado (175 mph+) wind.

So is there any way to get Control Weather or some similar effect in a fashion that doesn't take 10 minutes to cast? Gust of Wind would work, but then the Save DC would only be DC 19 (which would still work with a debuff build).

Friendly Fire Isn't... make sure your party is immune to Fear effects before doing this, or it could loose you the encounter.

Edit: Summon an Air Elemental on top of you as you pull your sword. Insta-Wind!

Fax Celestis
2009-02-13, 12:38 PM
D'hin'ni (man I love those guys) from Dragon #350 get gust of wind as an SLA 1/day, and are only ECL 1. If you can find a way to get extra SLAs, then you're golden.

Also, isn't there a Least Dragonfire Adept invocation that mimics gust of wind? *checks* There is. Scalding Dust. Might be right up your alley. Just center the invocation on yourself and go.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-13, 01:21 PM

Shadowcasters use mysteries as Standard actions.
Dark Water or Air is Control Wind or Water. It requires 9th level Shadowcaster though (as it is a 5th level mystery). (or 9th level Druid to cast Control Wind)

Every 3 caster levels increase Wind Strength by 1 level. So +3 levels mininum possible.

Ready an action to cast Control Wind when someone cast Gust of Wind = Tornado.

Darrin
2009-02-13, 02:31 PM

When drawn, weapons made of Pandemonic Silver force everyone within 30 ft to Save vs Fear. Failure means that they Cower for 1d4 rounds.

Gnome Quickrazor? Free action to draw/stow.

The Save DC is based on the strength of the wind around you, topping out at DC 28 if you can get tornado (175 mph+) wind.

An air elemental or djinni has whirlwind... anyone have any idea what the wind speed is on that? Instrument of the Wind (Magic of Faerun, p. 161) might help there, 11000 GP, summon large air elemental whenever you like with a Perform DC 15 check.

Wind Walk provides winds up to 60 mph... but takes you 600' straight up, I think, so staying within 30' of your targets might be problematic. There might be several ways to pick up wind walk.

Boreal Wind (Frostburn) says it's stronger than Gust of Wind, but doesn't specify how strong... probably safe to assume 51 mph, so DC 22.

Flaywind Burst (Sandstorm) goes up to 70 mph, so DC 22 again. Does damage, you might need an immunity to earth-based effects.

Sandblast (Lost Empires of Faerun) is a cone-shaped burst, instantaneous, earth damage again, but it does specify that it is hurricane-force. 75 mph minimum, so DC 25. I'm not sure how you'd combine it with drawing a weapon.

Greater Whirlwind (Complete Divine) is the only thing I can find other than Control Weather that creates Tornado-level winds.

Suedars
2009-02-13, 03:21 PM
Control winds can also cause tornado strength winds. You'd have to be an 18th level caster to go straight from no wind to tornado strength, but by using a quickened gust of wind (probably from a rod of lesser quicken) you can do it as early as level 9. Since you're a druid, you could also potentially use a hovering large animal companion to create wind beneath it.

Deth Muncher
2009-02-13, 04:23 PM
Buy a Dust Twister as a mount. It's in Sandstorm, costs 1500GP. It's a type of Air Elemental native to the desert. Does not, however, say how fast the winds are.

Ascension
2009-02-13, 05:01 PM
Buy a Dust Twister as a mount. It's in Sandstorm, costs 1500GP. It's a type of Air Elemental native to the desert. Does not, however, say how fast the winds are.

And then, while mounted, you can draw and sheathe your gnome quickrazor with free action swiftness until everything has failed its save. :smallamused:

Person_Man
2009-02-13, 05:20 PM
And then, while mounted, you can draw and sheathe your gnome quickrazor with free action swiftness until everything has failed its save. :smallamused:

Ha! So I guess the Save DC doesn't even matter. Unless your enemies are immune to Fear effects, they're screwed. You can make them have infinite Saves per round, and eventually they'll eventually roll a one. Of course after you do that, you'll have to dodge the DMG that your DM will throw at you...

Zeful
2009-02-13, 05:32 PM
Ha! So I guess the Save DC doesn't even matter. Unless your enemies are immune to Fear effects, they're screwed. You can make them have infinite Saves per round, and eventually they'll eventually roll a one. Of course after you do that, you'll have to dodge the DMG that your DM will throw at you...

Yes the save matters because a Nat 1 is only auto-fail for attacks, when a variant rule is in place. If you have enemies that can beat a DC28 on a 1 then they don't have to be fear immune.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-02-13, 05:44 PM
Eye of the Hurrican is a 4th level Druid spell from Spell Compendium (wandable), it creates a Hurricane around you. :smallwink:

Knaight
2009-02-13, 05:49 PM
No, natural 1 is attacks and saves. Its skills that it doesn't apply to.

Zeful
2009-02-13, 07:14 PM
No, natural 1 is attacks and saves. Its skills that it doesn't apply to.

I just looked through my DMG and PhB and didn't find any mention of a Nat 1 auto-failing a saving throw. Can you provide an excerpt or page number that states such?

Avor
2009-02-13, 07:30 PM

**** I WANT THAT!

Anyways I think you could get an amulet or rinh that can cast guet of wind X times a day

olentu
2009-02-13, 07:37 PM
I just looked through my DMG and PhB and didn't find any mention of a Nat 1 auto-failing a saving throw. Can you provide an excerpt or page number that states such?

PHB page 136 right before the section on initiative.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-13, 07:52 PM

Here you go.

Saving Throws
Generally, when you are subject to an unusual or magical attack, you get a saving throw to avoid or reduce the effect. Like an attack roll, a saving throw is a d20 roll plus a bonus based on your class, level, and an ability score. Your saving throw modifier is:

Base save bonus + ability modifier

Base Save Bonus
A saving throw modifier derived from character class and level. Base save bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes. Base save bonuses gained from different classes, such as when a character is a multiclass character, stack.

Saving Throw Types
The three different kinds of saving throws are Fortitude, Reflex, and Will:

Fortitude
These saves measure your ability to stand up to physical punishment or attacks against your vitality and health. Apply your Constitution modifier to your Fortitude saving throws.

Reflex
These saves test your ability to dodge area attacks. Apply your Dexterity modifier to your Reflex saving throws.

Will
These saves reflect your resistance to mental influence as well as many magical effects. Apply your Wisdom modifier to your Will saving throws.

Saving Throw Difficulty Class
The DC for a save is determined by the attack itself.

Automatic Failures and Successes
A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on a saving throw is always a failure (and may cause damage to exposed items; see Items Surviving after a Saving Throw). A natural 20 (the d20 comes up 20) is always a success.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-13, 08:02 PM
You still have a problem with friendly fire, unless you also find some way of making all allies immune to fear...

Flickerdart
2009-02-13, 08:31 PM
Bring a bunch of Paladins along, or Bards that Inspire Courage. In fact, you could be the bard that does that, flavouring the gale as created by your music. Not a bad concept.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-13, 08:34 PM
You still have a problem with friendly fire, unless you also find some way of making all allies immune to fear...

Hero's Feast: Lasts all day (12 hours is almost all day)
Magic Item Compendruim has a horn that creates this spell 1/day. Only 12K

So around level 10, you are assumed to be able to have it (assuming no more than 1/4th Wealth on one item).