PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS 4E] Help designing a swordswoman

InaVegt
2009-02-13, 02:35 PM
Okay, I'm going to be playing a swordswoman in low magic fantasy world. I don't want to have any magical abilities, at all.

I'd prefer her to be able to deal a reasonable amount of damage, as well as for her to be a mobile warrior.

The following are game specs:

TL 4
Base starting cash: $2000
120 points, max -50 disads, max -5 quirks.
I can use the basic set and martial arts, I could technically use magic as well, but I don't think that fits the concept.

As she is a woman, Social Stigma [Second-class citizen] is mandatory, otherwise, I'd like to have her remaining disadvantages take on the form of some sort of vow.

For advantages, I'd like combat reflexes, a high DX, and high basic speed and basic move.

For her weapon, I think I'd like her to use something akin to a rapier, though I'm open for other suggestions.

lisiecki
2009-02-13, 02:38 PM
Okay, I'm going to be playing a swordswoman in low magic fantasy world. I don't want to have any magical abilities, at all.

I'd prefer her to be able to deal a reasonable amount of damage, as well as for her to be a mobile warrior.

The following are game specs:

TL 4
Base starting cash: $2000
120 points, max -50 disads, max -5 quirks.
I can use the basic set and martial arts, I could technically use magic as well, but I don't think that fits the concept.

As she is a woman, Social Stigma [Second-class citizen] is mandatory, otherwise, I'd like to have her remaining disadvantages take on the form of some sort of vow.

For advantages, I'd like combat reflexes, a high DX, and high basic speed and basic move.

For her weapon, I think I'd like her to use something akin to a rapier, though I'm open for other suggestions.

you mean [4th Ed Gurps] Right?
Cause that REALLY sounds like gerps

InaVegt
2009-02-13, 02:40 PM
you mean [4th Ed Gurps] Right?
Cause that REALLY sounds like gerps

Yes, I do.

If the DnD players leave out the system, why shouldn't I do the same?

Artanis
2009-02-13, 02:47 PM
Because the vast majority of threads around here are about DnD, and only...well, only one that I can think of is about GURPS.

lisiecki
2009-02-13, 02:53 PM
Yes, I do.

Because...
Its a forum of a web comic that is, at least in part, about 3.X DandD, so it can safely be assumed that, unless stated other wise, that any given topic is about DandD

Also, because, as i was feeing helpfull today, when i clicked on the 4th ed topic i assumed that you were refering to 4th Ed D&D.
Not 4th Ed Gurps
Not 4th Ed shadow run
Not 4th Ed Vampire (requiem)

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-13, 03:02 PM
Yes, I do.

Because giving your post a deliberately misleading title with malice aforethought in order to waste other people's time seems like kind of a nasty move, regardless of how often it's been done before.

Look how many people have tried trolling on this board! Why shouldn't I do that?

EDIT: Also, the tag [4e] is generally assumed--even on non-D&D-centric forums--to refer to the fourth edition of D&D. Sorry if that offends your sense of justice, but that's the way it is.

InaVegt
2009-02-13, 03:13 PM
Happy now?

lisiecki
2009-02-13, 03:48 PM
Happy now?

I wasn't unhappy to begin with.
what im kind of mystified about is why you see upset people wanted to help you.

Honestly im not sure if you were posting for real help, or just to make a statement about 3.X players

Satyr
2009-02-13, 05:36 PM
I don't have my books with me, but this could be used as a raw skeleton:

STR 12 [20] DEX 13 [60] IQ 10 [0] HT 11 [10]
HP 12 [0], FP 11 [0], Perception 10 [0], Will 10 [0], Move 6,25 [0] Speed 6

Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15], 15 or so points for additional qualities, trying to get one of the martial arts schools; that is mostly a question of
style which one you favor.

Disadvantages: Second Class Citizen [-5], Sense of Duty (Friends and Family) [-5] (always a nice one, as it is a good disadvantage for teamwork), overconfidence (12-) (this is a swashbuckler campaign, right?) [-5], significant Vow [-10] (there are so many possibilities; the cliché would be "proves to be as competent as a fencer as every man"), skinny [-5], Code of Honor (Gentleman or Soldier) [-10], plus additional ones; you should make the full fifty points.

Quirks: Only dull people don't take all five quirks [-5]

Skills: That leaves you with only 45 points for skills, which is a bit meagre; You should take the obvious ones like: Local Lore (World) and (Homeland/Hometown), Savoir Faire, Streetwise, First Aid with 1 CP each; take the appropriate skills for your school (and remember that you want your primary combat skill on an even skill level).

Mando Knight
2009-02-13, 07:39 PM
Don't have GURPS... but I do have a picture for you to use...

http://serenesforest.net/media/fe10illust/l/L_Mia.jpg

...especially if your character likes duels at dawn.

Knaight
2009-02-13, 08:38 PM
Elincia and Marcia are cooler. You might want to take some sort of reputation disadvantage, due to people getting pissy about a woman getting in sword fights, in addition to a vow.

Townopolis
2009-02-13, 09:28 PM
I don't have 4e, but in 3e (I think that's what I'm playing) High Pain Threshold is almost required for any melee character worth their salt.

But that may have been done away with.

Cybren
2009-02-13, 09:44 PM
Because giving your post a deliberately misleading title with malice aforethought in order to waste other people's time seems like kind of a nasty move, regardless of how often it's been done before.

Look how many people have tried trolling on this board! Why shouldn't I do that?

EDIT: Also, the tag [4e] is generally assumed--even on non-D&D-centric forums--to refer to the fourth edition of D&D. Sorry if that offends your sense of justice, but that's the way it is.

Well GURPS 4th edition is older. So nyaaa

Anyway. Get a hold of GURPS Martial Arts. It's awesome++. Something like Sword and Shield Fighting or Longsword Fighting is a good start point. 120 points isn't a lot of points though, even with disads, so i'd focus on an inexperienced low skill character and get good attributes. >=12 ST, DX, and similar HT, with any points left over going in to Per (or if there's a ton some how, IQ, as it also boosts will and a buttload of skills)

The two advantages you'd get the most bang-for-buck from are Fit (+1 on HT rolls for 5 points alone is good, but it also gives you more endurance) Combat Reflexes, with High Pain Threshold coming in as a close second.

Here's an example:

Fightin' Gal

120pts
Attributes [100]
ST 13 [30]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10[0]; HT 11[10]
HP 13 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 11[0];
BS 6.0 [0]; BM 6 [0];

Advantages [32]
Combat Reflexes [15]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Style Familiarity (Longsword Fighting) [1]*; Weapon Bond [1];
Disadvantages [50]
Social Stigma [-5]; [-45 more in quirks or other disadvantages];
Skills [38]
Brawling-14[2]; Judo-14 [8]; Knife-13 [1]; Two Handed Sword-16** [8]; [19 points in character relevant skills. Judo can be lowered to DX-1 if you want to but I like having at least 14s in my unarmed combat skills. Buying up the technique Close Combat (Two-Handed Sword) is also a good idea.]

*If you're using GURPS Martial Arts. Otherwise drop it but consider similar skill load out.
** With +1 from Weapon Bond when using your specific longsword

EDIT: I Didn't notice your specific mention of the rapier. In that case consider something more like this.

Sally Swordswoman

120pts
Attributes [82]
ST 11 [10]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10[0]; HT 11[10]
HP 12 [2]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 11[0];
BS 6.0 [0]; BM 6 [0];
Advantages [29]
Attractive [4];* Combat Reflexes [15]; Fit [5]; Rapier Wit [5];* Signature Gear (Fine Edged Rapier);** Weapon Bond [1];
Disadvantages [-50]
Social Stigma [-5]; [-45 more in quirks or other disadvantages];
Skills [57]
Acrobatics-13 [4]; Acting-12 [8];* Carousing-13 [4];* Jumping-14 [2]; Main-Gauche-14 [3]; Public Speaking-12; [8] Rapier-16 [8];
Counterattack (Rapier)-16 [6]; Feint (Rapier)-18 [3]; Flying Lunge (Rapier)-13 [3]; Grand Disarm (Rapier)-13 [8];
* Included only because I think the rapier is more of a swashbuckling weapon and warrants charm and good looks. These can be dropped if rapier wit isn't campaign appropriate or you want more skills and abilities but don't want the social skills
** Since your starting wealth is $2000, 4 points in signature gear gives you $4000 to spend on your special equipment. That's enough to buy a Fine Edged Rapier, which is a pretty fearsome weapon. This requires GURPS Martial Arts though so you can also opt for just a Fine Rapier, it'll cost less, too. Since it's Signature Gear, this still leaves you with the regular $2000 to buy armor, backup weapons, and other equipment

This leaves you with 2 points. If the GM requires you to, use them to get the perks Feverish Defense and Flurry of Blows. These are combat options that let you spend FP in a pinch to get better defenses or reduced Rapid Strike penalties respectively. If the GM allows everyone to use extra FP in combat by default, then spend them on more skills.

You have options in combat, from Flying Lunge to make rapid long distance strikes against enemies, or, if you're surrounded, you can try Grand Disarm to disarm the weapons of everyone surrounding you. Use Retreats and Acrobaitcs Dodges to boost your defenses, as well as your multiple fencing parry's. The edged rapier is heavy enough that optionally, it doesn't have the drawbacks of fencing weapons. After you defend and are still in range, you can follow with counterattack to help get past enemy defenses, or you can use feints. In addition, your higher feint score can help protect you from enemy feints (another optional rule)

lisiecki
2009-02-14, 03:45 PM
Well GURPS 4th edition is older. So nyaaa

What part of that is Nyaaa?

I have never been to a role playing board and seen 4ed, with out a system name, meaning thing other than D&D.

Yes, gurps is older.
So is SR4
the current WoD line
Hell
Call of Cthulhu 4th ed is 20 years old, was i supposed to think the OP was referring to that?

Artanis
2009-02-14, 03:59 PM
The fact that "4e" without a system refers to DnD is how things happen to work. It doesn't matter whether or not it makes sense. It doesn't matter whether or not it should be that way. In the end, when you say "4E" without a system, it will be assumed that it is about DnD. THAT is the part that matters, and getting angry instead of accepting that fact will do nothing more than make you look bad.

Cybren
2009-02-15, 03:23 AM
What part of that is Nyaaa?

I have never been to a role playing board and seen 4ed, with out a system name, meaning thing other than D&D.

Yes, gurps is older.
So is SR4
the current WoD line
Hell
Call of Cthulhu 4th ed is 20 years old, was i supposed to think the OP was referring to that?

Seeing as the thread title is changed perhaps this isn't worth further discussion.

Ellisande
2009-02-15, 04:23 AM
I've never seen GURPS Martial Arts (well, for 4th edition), but I found that Enhanced Dodge and Enhanced Parry were lifesavers for my light, mobile melee characters. So I'd strongly consider putting that on the advantage list with Combat Reflexes (which should be a no-brainer).

I would probably tend to put more into advantages and less into skills than the builds thus far in the thread, but I don't know how much advancement you expect in the campaign.

I miss playing GURPS! Have fun!

lisiecki
2009-02-15, 11:57 AM
Seeing as the thread title is changed perhaps this isn't worth further discussion.

Well, it did change BEFORE your Nyaaa thing.
So im still curious.
The oldest 4th Ed game i can think of is CoC.
Should I default to that when I see 4ed in a thread title?