PDA

View Full Version : Anarch Champion PrC: Peach, Draft

The_Shaman
2006-09-21, 03:33 PM
I have been intrigued by the concept of paladin-ish classes, such as the Holy liberator or the alignment champions from Dragon 310, and have tried to present a non-idiotic, non-insane version of a champion of the chaotic neutral alignment. Contrary to others, I do not see it as either completely unpredictable or irresponsible; for me, being chaotic neutral means valuing your independence more than anything else. The anarch champion extends this moto further - and is willing to fight and die for anyone's independence.

Anarch Champion

“Damn it, you lot! Will you have it this way forever? Start living before you die!”

Anarchs are often considered little more than annoying troublemakers who tear down the established order without replacing it with anything. Derided as rebels without a cause, scoundrels without purpose, and marauders without vision. Yet among them there are some that are anything but. There are those rare few that truly can not accept domination, neither of body nor soul, and abhor it to the point that they fight it whenever they see it, in whatever form. Individualists to the bone, they consider anything that would chain one’s will an anathema – and fight it with flaming zeal. The ultimate revolutionaries, these few sometimes become leaders for a time, and are capable of great deeds, but usually just disappear the day after their success. They tend to constantly crusade against one thing or another, but have a special place in their hearts for those who dominate the mind of another, either through magic or psychological tricks. Their devotion to their goal rivals that of the most pious cleric, or the most loyal paladin, and often chaotic outsiders bless them with powers in a similar matter. Not unlike them, they are also icons of their creed, and while they sometimes employ stealth in dire situations, they typically carry themselves with dignity and honor, making a stand for all to see. While they often leave havoc with their passing, their ideals need not be accomplished through violent means, and are just as often just. Still, they are as likely to oppose loyalty to a good king than to a bad one, and are used to being viewed with distrust. However, their distaste for order is proportional to how authoritarian the regime is. As they often appear where the domination is most dire, at times they are hailed as saviors as well - as the old saying goes, sometimes it takes a storm to clear the clouds away.

Alignment: Chaotic neutral
BAB: Good progression
Saves: Good fort, will.
Skill pts: 4+int.
Skills – similar to paladin, with the following exceptions: include hide, move silently, knowledge (local), gather information, escape artist and bluff. Possibly remove knowledge (religion) and ride.

Requirements:
BAB: +5 or more
Base will save of +3 or more
Skills: Diplomacy 5 ranks, Gather information 2 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks
Feats: Iron Will
Special: must have been dominated by either magical or mundane means (i.e. slavery) and killed or caused the demise of the one who had dominated him.
- must follow a particular code of conduct (still working on it. It will definitely include no use of charm/dominate related powers, no accepting positions of power, and probably always - or almost always - aiding those who have been denied their freedom.)

Abilities per level

1. detect domination, smite law 1/day, Aura of Chaos.
2. Mettle, voice of the titan
3. Aura of resolve, Break enchantments 1/week
4. Indomitable
5. Renown, smite law 2/day
6. Break enchantments 1/day
7. Unbowed, aura of vengeance
8. Mind blank 1/day
9. Legend, Anarchic weapon
10. Larger than life, smite law 3/day

Detect domination: At will, the anarch champion may detect domination (including, but not limited to, charm, domination, or geas spells, as well as resulting from successful intimidation) in any creature less than 30 feet away from him. If the originator of this domination is also within that area, the anarch can pinpoint him as well.

Smite law: the anarch adds his charisma bonus to the attack and his class level to damage. If the champion has seen the creature use intimidation or compulsion magic on another, the bonus to damage is doubled.

Mettle: spells or effects that have partial effect on a successful will or fortitude save do not affect the anarch champion on a successful save.

Voice of the titan: an anarch champion can rekindle the lost fire of struggle in even the most docile folk, and impress even the most jaded cynic. For all charisma-based checks, the anarch champion receives a bonus equal to half his level, and can take 10 on any diplomacy check.

Aura of Resolve: an anarch champion of level 3 or above is immune to all charm and compulsion effects. All allies in a range of 5 feet per anarch champion level get a +4 morale bonus to resist charm or compulsion effects
Break Enchantments: at level 3, the anarch champion can use break enchantments 1/week. From level 6 on, he can use it once per day.

Renown: Ironically, the feats of the anarch champion have inspired many others to emulate him, and his name is like a banner for all who chafe under authority. The anarch champion effectively receives the benefits of the Leadership feat, or gains a +3 to his score if he already has it. He can, however, attract a cohort or followers of only chaotic alignment; however, he can attract any chaotic creature with an intelligence of 3 or more, regardless of race.

Unbowed: The anarch champion’s body and mind rebel against any unwanted influence. The anarch champion can reroll any failed save against a spell, spell-like ability or supernatural effect that has a duration other than instantaneous 1 round after the immediate effect, and once per every point of charisma bonus every other round afterwards.

Aura of Vengeance: allies of the anarch champion under the effects of his aura of resolve gain a +1 bonus to saves, attacks and damage for every charm or compulsion effect they have resisted for a number of rounds equal to the anarch champion’s charisma bonus (minimum of 1)
Mind blank: an anarch champion of level 8 or more can cast a mind blank on himself once per day as a caster of twice his class level

Legend: when an enemy of the champion misses him from within the range of his aura of resolve, he must make a will save of (10+Anarch Champion’s level+the champion’s charisma modifier) or be shaken for 1d4 rounds. Also, all chaotic creatures with an intelligence of 3 or more have their starting disposition towards the champion improved by one category if they know of his identity and have seen him in the last week.

Anarchic weapon: Once per day, an anarch champion can infuse a melee weapon with the essence of power. This weapon becomes anarchic in addition to any other properties it may possess, but only as long as it stays in the anarch champion’s hand. This effect lasts for a number of minutes equal to the anarch champion’s charisma modifier.

Larger than life: at level 10, the anarch champion becomes immune to fear or any other mind-affecting condition, and becomes a chaotic outsider. He also gains damage reduction of 5/lawful, and his unarmed attacks or natural weapons are treated as chaotic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, he can be raised and resurrected normally.

I toyed with giving the class the spellcasting abilities of the holy liberator with some minor changes in the spell list, but would like to hear more opinions on the class' balance issues before I did so.

pyrefiend
2006-09-21, 05:43 PM
That sounds awsome. The only suggestion I can think of is maybe extending the alignment preresquite to chaotic good as well as chaotic neutral. I hate how C.N. gets a bad name, some people consider it the closest thing to evil.

The_Shaman
2006-09-22, 10:27 AM
I thought about CG, but that's already holy liberator territory, and the two classes are close enough as it is. Maybe I could extend it to cover all chaotics, but I'm not quite sure. How about a CG/CE ex-champion gets to keep his abilities, but can not progress further in the class? Keep in mind this is very much an unfinished work.

Spells are another problem. Now, I want this class to be a form of paladin-like champion, which may eventually include spells. Say, the anarchic weapon could become a spell, similar to "holy sword," and the like, but it's a lot of hassle. Still, if I do include spells, what lists would be closest? Or do I give "caster levels per level"?

Another feature I liked (but might not include), is the ability to motivate people by a diplomacy or bluff check, which would result in them getting a morale bonus to attack and will saves. Kinda like the bard abilities, I suppose, but without the performance bit. The rationale is that the character is very good in motivating people and is, in a way, the perfect rabble-rouser. Actually, that might mean that a few ranks in perform (oratory) or profession (orator) could make it in the requirements. As they are right now, this is essentially a liberator-clone, but without the "holy" bit.