PDA

View Full Version : Need Warblade Help within the hour!

loopy
2009-02-13, 09:47 PM
Hey all, leaving for a game in an hour, thinking about playing a Warblade, but I've never played one before, what do I need to know? What starting feats should I take? I'll be playing a human, for the extra feat (and also to keep it simple). Where should I focus my stats? Where should I be looking to go with my char in the future?

Anywy, any help would be great, thanks all!

Keld Denar
2009-02-13, 09:54 PM
What level?

For stats, go Str > Con > Dex > Int > Wis > Cha in that order.

For maneuvers, you really can't go wrong with little Diamond Mind and a little Iron Heart. Especially at really low levels (1-2), Steel Wind + Punishing Stance is brutal. Sudden Leap is another gem at 1st level, and continues to be very valuable forever. If you grab something like Wolf Fang Strike, you can retrain it to Sudden Leap at level 4 (your first maneuver swap) and never have to take another Tiger Claw maneuver. Also, try to get something in White Raven before level 5, and pick up White Raven Tactics as your level 5 maneuver. Its REALLY GOOD for giving a team mate an extra action if they have already acted in combat. Allowing your friendly caster to get 2 spells off in the first round of combat is pretty sick.

Also, I'd use a 2handed weapon. Either a Greatsword or a Glaive, if you want a little more damage or reach. I'd highly recommend the Glaive though, since Reach is killer at low levels, even without Combat Reflexes.

Hope this helps. If you give the starting level, I could probably whip up a maneuver list, depending on what combat style you want.

SurlySeraph
2009-02-13, 09:58 PM
Your most important stats are Strength (so you can bash things), Intelligence (for your class features), and Constitution (so you donŽt die). For feats, pretty much any Fighter feat will work. Combat Expertise to get Improved Trip is a decent option.
For maneuvers, IŽll defer to what Keld Denar said.

NEO|Phyte
2009-02-13, 09:58 PM
How do you want to take your warblade? Leader-ish guy that bolsters his allies, half-feral guy, really really skilled guy? You can go a few ways with a warblade, depending on which disciplines you focus on. Feats can vary a bit from this, though the stats are mostly the same, strength/con as normal for a fighty man, plus int for your class abilities. If you can afford it, a half-decent dex isn't a bad idea to go with your medium armor, since you aren't proficient in heavy.

Dhavaer
2009-02-13, 09:59 PM
The feat that heals you when you recover maneuvers is good. Can't remember what it's called, though.

loopy
2009-02-13, 09:59 PM
Level 1, for your information, unfortunately I don't know the method of stat generation until I arrive at the game.

I'll probably be using a greatsword, due to basic unfamiliarity with the reach rules. So a couple levels worth of feats and stances would be excellent. :)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-13, 10:08 PM
Here's what you do:

Str is your prime stat. It's beating on stuff, which is what you do.

Int is your second stat, because you get some fun bonuses with it (like to your Initiative)

Con is on the same tier as Int, because it is hit points. Fortunately, you have the largest hit die in the game (d12), so it doesn't matter if it isn't really awesome

Dex comes next, basically you want it somewhere within shouting distance of 16 (i.e. you could reasonably hit 16 with Gloves of Dex), anything more is just a waste since you're going to want Mithral Full Plate

Wis and Cha are, for the most part, dump stats.

Now, I know what you are going to say, Wis is your Will Save, which already sux! Yes, but you get Concentration as a class skill, and pick up as a maneuver a counter that lets you make a Concentration skill check in place of a Will save... it's a 1st level Diamond Mind maneuver. So Will is irrelevant.

As for your feat, it's called Adaptive Style. Lets you switch out your Maneuvers Readied in combat, which is very nice.

Grab a two-handed sword and go to town.

Knaight
2009-02-13, 10:09 PM
Sword and Board is actually pretty good, as is a dexterity based warblade. As a first feat you can't go wrong with taking another maneuver, so keep that in consideration. You might want to go Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, as they synergise decently with both a sword and board style, or a two handed weapon style. Just take a long sword, and use it in both hands sometimes. The reach rules are pretty simple, so feel free to refresh on them and pick up a long spear or glaive, warblades work really well with reach weapons.

Draz74
2009-02-13, 10:51 PM
OK, Human with Greatsword.

Max Concentration and Jump. You'll want to have them as strong options sooner or later.

At level 1, Punishing Stance is indeed brutal, but Bolstering Voice is worth considering too. Your own Will save will not be impressive, and your party might appreciate the help too. Depends whether you think the DM might throw critters with magic abilities at you early on. If your party is melee-heavy, Leading the Charge could be good too.

Steel Wind is indeed great at early levels, unless your DM likes to stick with solo-monster encounters. Moment of Perfect Mind is a great idea, though you probably don't want that and Bolstering Voice. Will Saves aren't that important.

Sapphire Nightmare Blade is nice.

People say Stone Dragon isn't good, but unless you're planning to be off the ground a lot (and flying does tend to be important at higher levels in some campaigns), it's got some gems. Everyone agrees that Mountain Hammer is a good choice when you get to Level 3, but at Level 1, you could do a lot worse than Charging Minotaur.

Basically, as long as you avoid a couple pitfalls like the Stance of Clarity, you can't go too far wrong! Heavy investment in Tiger Claw will kind of commit you to keep fighting with a particular (non-greatsword) style from now on, though.

Darrin
2009-02-13, 11:21 PM
As for your feat, it's called Adaptive Style. Lets you switch out your Maneuvers Readied in combat, which is very nice.

Adaptive Style isn't really necessary for Warblades. They have a recovery mechanic that lets them full attack and recover at the same time. At low levels, with so few maneuvers, it's not all that likely you won't have the right maneuvers readied.

You'll need to decide if you want to go TWF or two-handed. At 1st level, they aren't all that different... you still want to start with Punishing Stance or Leading the Charge.

Recommended maneuvers, 1st level:
TWF = Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Moment of Perfect Mind
THF = Steel Wind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Moment of Perfect Mind

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-13, 11:23 PM
You'll need to decide if you want to go TWF or two-handed. At 1st level, they aren't all that different... you still want to start with Punishing Stance or Leading the Charge. Or Sword&Board. Warblades and Crusaders are some of the few classes that can pull that off.