PDA

View Full Version : DMing with a blind player

Proven_Paradox
2009-02-13, 10:08 PM
So, I'mma be starting up an in-person game sometime soon--whenever the planets happen to align and the schedules of the players manage to sync up properly, but that's a topic for another thread.

Anyway, it's an old group with a couple of new players, and one of them is blind. I'm curious if anyone else around here has played in a similar situation, or if anyone might have suggestions on how I might make the game more accessible to him. He's told me that he used to play a lot of casters before he lost his vision--sorcerers and wizards mainly--but after he went blind, he found keeping up with spells too difficult, and has thus gone to playing simpler classes. He'll be running a barbarian//dragon shaman in this game. I'm not going to give him special privileges or anything like that, but I'd still like to try to make this easier on him if I can.

I'm already trying a fairly tactile form of mapping--I'm too cheap to buy mats and figurines, but I've been wanting to try mapping things by printing out a grid and using thumbtacks and coins on a piece of cork board even before I got this guy in my group. That this happens to be something he can feel out to get a picture of the battlefield just happens to be a happy side effect.

Anyway, any advise or experiences to share?

Flickerdart
2009-02-13, 10:11 PM
What edition? You could not use visual representation for battles at all in 3.5, but 4th would be more crippled by that.

Proven_Paradox
2009-02-13, 10:15 PM
The game's DnD 3.5. I've got some fairly spacial traps in mind, and not having a map would make them difficult to implement properly, so that's still an issue.

Krrth
2009-02-13, 10:18 PM
One of my regular gaming group is blind, so I've got some experience. What did you want to know?

BRC
2009-02-13, 10:19 PM
With minatures, or some sort of clearly identifyable by touch marking system (Chess and game pieces maybe), things may work.

Reinboom
2009-02-13, 10:35 PM
Mind, you need a way of identifying push pins in such a situation between each other by feel.

I, personally, would recommend an inset board (such as the old acquire board games, not the new edition, though, or the older scrabbles).

For doing complicated actions, set up a physical system to read such.
Spells use two containers, for example, series of 'sticks' with different lengths for range, and different additions for various information. Effects must still be memorized.

Since he wasn't always blind, how well is he with braille? Does he have a way of pressing in new type?

valadil
2009-02-13, 10:39 PM
The pushpins sound like a good idea. I think a lot of it will be trial and error. The biggest problem I can see will be dealing with his character sheet. He might be able to get away with memorization.

Proven_Paradox
2009-02-13, 10:47 PM
He's got a laptop that's set up with blind users in mind, and he can get me a standard character sheet with that; this part isn't a problem at all. No idea if he's able to read braille, but said laptop has some functionality that lets him read books as needed. It'd be kind of nosy to pry into that I think so I don't know details, but he gets along just fine with it so that part isn't an issue. Since he's not playing a spellcaster, dealing with spells won't be a big deal; the only daily resource he has with this one is rages, which aren't hard to figure out. Identifying the pins by feel is something I hadn't though about though; I'll have to think on that one.
One of my regular gaming group is blind, so I've got some experience. What did you want to know? Essentially, what kind of issues came up that needed to be dealt with from the DM's perspective? I'd like to be able to adjust to that quickly.

Krrth
2009-02-13, 10:54 PM
He's got a laptop that's set up with blind users in mind, and he can get me a standard character sheet with that; this part isn't a problem at all. No idea if he's able to read braille, but said laptop has some functionality that lets him read books as needed. It'd be kind of nosy to pry into that I think so I don't know details, but he gets along just fine with it so that part isn't an issue. Since he's not playing a spellcaster, dealing with spells won't be a big deal; the only daily resource he has with this one is rages, which aren't hard to figure out. Identifying the pins by feel is something I hadn't though about though; I'll have to think on that one.Essentially, what kind of issues came up that needed to be dealt with from the DM's perspective? I'd like to be able to adjust to that quickly.

Right. Well, as you know, character sheets can be a little hard to handle. Usually, the GM holds the sheet during play and refers to it as needed. We'll go over the character at the beginning of each session, so it usually runs fairly smoothly.

Dice is a tricky issue. Some dice, like six-siders, can be easily read. Others require a "spotter". Have someone sit close enough that they can look over and read the die.

As for battle maps, we basically just gave up using them. If you want to use them, your either going to have to do one of three things:
1) Put a large amount of effort into the map, with pins, locking pieces and the like.

2) Go ahead and use the map as normal, and just do your best to describe it. Sometimes miniatures can help with facing and distance, but be prepared for confusion.

3) Give up on the map and just wing it.

Alcopop
2009-02-14, 12:43 AM
I'm pretty sure there are dice rolling programs with a "speak" function. as he has a labtop that could work quite well. (just hotkey the dice to the keys he knows and the computer will do the rest)

I say eleminate the grid all together, even with pins or whatever i think things will just get too frustrating. and although it's nice to have in dnd 3.5 you really dont need it. (hell i prefer gaming without one.)

Triaxx
2009-02-14, 06:48 AM
On the map front, something as simple as string will give you the tactile feel.

Just don't assume that blind means stupid or hypersensitive. If he has to roll the die, he'll probably ask someone what it says. If on his computer, he'll probably have it read.

UserClone
2009-02-14, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I want to try using a flexible measuring tape with minis instead of a grid in order to get more organic movement.

For area spells, try the steel sqwire spell templates or similar. This is a wire template in the shape of a spell area. Obviously if you aren't using a grid, you can just use wire or pipe cleaners to similar effect, the important thing is a visual/tactile boundary for persistent spell area. I would think that would be helpful.

On a personal note, I'm kind of jealous. I think my players could learn a whole lot from a blind gamer. They are very tactical and second/third guess-y, whether it's combat or walking down the hallway in the king's castle. They have a hard time forgetting it's a game and just role-playing. I would think it's easier to visualize for a person whose eyes aren't busy feeding them other less pertinent information. I find that I do better as a player when I close my eyes during DM descriptions of any considerable length.

Good luck!:smallsmile:

elliott20
2009-02-14, 08:34 AM
Right. Well, as you know, character sheets can be a little hard to handle. Usually, the GM holds the sheet during play and refers to it as needed. We'll go over the character at the beginning of each session, so it usually runs fairly smoothly.

Dice is a tricky issue. Some dice, like six-siders, can be easily read. Others require a "spotter". Have someone sit close enough that they can look over and read the die.

As for battle maps, we basically just gave up using them. If you want to use them, your either going to have to do one of three things:
1) Put a large amount of effort into the map, with pins, locking pieces and the like.

2) Go ahead and use the map as normal, and just do your best to describe it. Sometimes miniatures can help with facing and distance, but be prepared for confusion.

3) Give up on the map and just wing it.

I would suggest against 2, mostly because nothing kills tension and immersion like, "you step into a room that is 20 feet by 20 feet".

Knaight
2009-02-14, 09:32 AM
Go ahead and switch to a system that isn't D&D, where a map isn't as necessary. That way you could describe the aforementioned room as a "medium sized room" rather than giving dimensions, which always helps. As for dice, you need a spotter, or a computer that reads them out loud, which can work. Then there are character sheets. A large one could be made using braille, but again this would work better in a map less system, as those are usually simpler.

UserClone
2009-02-14, 09:54 AM
I don't really see that as necessary, Knaight, when the guy has been playing D&D both before and since becoming blind. He knows his way around a charsheet for sure, and he probably has his own ways of dealing with most of these items.

@OP: Have you considered just asking the player in question if he would like any special accommodations or have certain preferences and/or helpful suggestions? Fact is, he probably better knows how to deal with playing blind than you do, or anyone else here, possibly excepting Krrth. And anyhow, since it is his condition to deal with, the onus is not entirely on you to make it work smoothly; his input is at least as important.

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you about addressing his blindness openly. I'm pretty sure he is well aware of his lack of vision, so I doubt it will offend him if you ask questions. If anything, it's likely to make him feel more comfortable (provided you don't start bombarding the poor fellow with questions, that is:smallwink:).

Krrth
2009-02-14, 10:30 AM
In our case, the player in question specifically doesn't like the battle board, so we don't use it. We also tend to gravitate towards games other than DnD for that very reason. White Wolf is a favorite.

As others have stated, just ask your player what (if any) help they need. Everyone is different.

Knaight
2009-02-14, 10:57 AM
I don't really see that as necessary, Knaight, when the guy has been playing D&D both before and since becoming blind. He knows his way around a charsheet for sure, and he probably has his own ways of dealing with most of these items.

A large braille character sheet is necessary unless he has totally memorized the location of all the skills, all the stats, etc. etc. Considering that there are several versions of the character sheet, and people often switch around this is unlikely. I GM and still haven't quite memorized a simpler character sheet, although my players do use about four different versions. As for a battle board, putting pins in it only helps so much unless you have something to mark off every square. Although having settlers of catan style tiles for squares, with tactile dots on them could work, and would be awesome. D&D is pretty map intensive, and not being able to see the map makes things much more difficult, although its not as bad as in 4e, where not being able to see the map would make combat virtually impossible. As for a simpler game, it would make things easier, as the character sheet isn't as dense, and with no map its more imagination based anyways. D&D is still an option, but its not quite as easy, unless a tactile battle grid can be developed well, without necessarily using colors. Thats pretty hard to do. Not impossible by any means (squares with pins in clusters in them, possibly lettered using braille letters, ie A is normal, B is light rubble, C is heavy rubble, D is shallow water, E is deep water, for a dungeon, mentioned by the GM before a battle comes up, then enemy tokens with braille dots on them(also a lettering system). A 3d grid would also work, and it makes the braille easier for enemies (so for light rubble take some sand, and put it on the board, heavy rubble would be gravel, with shallow pools for shallow pools, and deep pools for deep pools. Although containers for the water could be a bit of a pain, it would hep everyone).

Now for background info. I'm not blind, but occasionally(once or twice a week) I get migraines, which are usually just headaches and nausea, but sometimes I get really mild headaches and nausea, which would normally be no issue at all. However, in both cases I sometimes get these weird phantom lights, that sort of form as object outlines when I look at something, then move if I move my gaze. Meaning that vision becomes really difficult, and reading anything is impossible. So having a tactile system for keeping track of stuff is really helpful. I can keep my eyes shut, and still describe stuff, read dice, etc, and I don't have obnoxious phantom lights following wherever I look. And trust me, they are obnoxious. Your reading something, look up, and this green fuzzy rectangle is now moving across the wall, making anything near it look really dark. Trying to use a battle map when these phantom lights are going on, even a tactile one, would be really difficult. But, I have nowhere near as much experience dealing with this as someone who is actually blind 24/7, meaning that they will be better able to deal with it. Still, more description, and less visual map stuff can only be a good thing.

Krrth
2009-02-14, 01:47 PM
One thing I forgot to mention: Be aware that there may be difficulties when dealing with size and distance. Someone who hasn't seen a tiger may know what one is, and what it looks like.....but they may not know just how big it is.

I've got a game tomorrow, so if you want I'll ask what he recommends.

Vonriel
2009-02-14, 02:33 PM
One thing I forgot to mention: Be aware that there may be difficulties when dealing with size and distance. Someone who hasn't seen a tiger may know what one is, and what it looks like.....but they may not know just how big it is.

I've got a game tomorrow, so if you want I'll ask what he recommends.

Remember that the OP's player hasn't been blind from birth, the blindness has happened sometime between then and now.

Personally, the two best suggestions I've read are: 1) Ask him what he needs in order to be able to play properly, and 2) consider switching to another system. Like Knaight has said, D&D in both 3.5 and 4 can be rather map-intensive.

Satyr
2009-02-14, 02:40 PM
I think Steve jackson Games offers a free version of Gurps in Braille for blind people. Gurps would also offer the other advantage that you don't need miniatures and maps for the game (and it is coincidentally one of the best RPGs around).

Proven_Paradox
2009-02-14, 03:04 PM
Let me give some context here.

First off, he's asked me to not change the game for him. He is very aware and very comfortable with his blindness. Hell, we crack jokes about it occasionally, him included. (For example, we were going Magic of Incarnum for a bit not long ago, and many comments were going around about how -horrible- the book's artwork was for the most part. He just chuckled and made some comment about how not being able to see wasn't always a bad thing. [As a side note, the art in MoI? What the hell WotC?]) He's said he's gotten by in games before, and he doesn't want the game's content to change to accommodate him.

I'm going to respect that and design the dungeons and such the same as I would in other circumstances. That brings me to maps. This is going to be primarily a dungeon crawl game, and to me dungeons mean traps. I love traps, and I've got a few ideas for what I think to be some pretty cool ones. However, they're going to be very spacially oriented, and won't make much sense without a grid. That these traps will be going off in the middle of battles further complicates matters. Just taking the map out is not an option here.

Next. I love DnD 3.5. It has flaws, but I like to houserule things to make those less noticeable (prepared primary spellcasters are banned (wizard, cleric, et. all), melee characters are encouraged to use the ToB, so on--in the end, fixing 3.5 isn't really that difficult). The mechanics are a big part of the experience to me; I enjoy the roleplaying and rollplaying portions of it equally. I'll play in other systems if that's what my friends are playing, but when I've got my choice, we'll be playing 3.5 with a large number of splatbooks available every time. I'm not going to switch to a different system to accommodate this guy. Not only would that make the game less enjoyable for me (and the other players, who all prefer 3.5) but that would leave this guy getting very pissed off at me; after being asked to not change the game content for him, I can only see going as far as switching to a different system as a massive slap in the face.

Next. This guy wasn't born blind. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have any problems with spacial reasoning. When I say "tiger" I'm pretty sure he'll have no problems figuring out what I mean.

Lastly, I trust my players. I've never been in a gaming environment where the DM is the one holding character sheets, and if a DM tried to take my sheet from me as a player, I would walk away then and there. In my games, players hold and control their own sheets, and I trust them to be honest with me about their contents. This is a case where the honor system works just fine; I have never had a problem with players trying to be sneaky with sheets. His laptop has a voice option of some sort and he can keep his sheet on that without any issues. His character sheet is a complete non-issue.

Now, of course I'm describing things with some detail. I'm not going to describe a room by saying "It's 50x50 feet." Entering that room in my game is something like, "You enter a large room, with bleach-white walls and a floor tiled with marble. It's roughly cubic in shape, with each side being about fifty feet in length. Like-wise, the high cieling is about fifty feet above the floor. The walls are supported by large, stylized pillars." Then comes the various crap in the room. On the grid, yeah, it'd only be a 50x50 square, but that's never sufficed for a description from me.

In the end, this may well end up being a moot argument, as some disagreements between me and some of the other players is putting this game's future in jeopardy at the moment. Still, a topic for another thread.

wadledo
2009-02-14, 03:15 PM
(For example, we were going Magic of Incarnum for a bit not long ago, and many comments were going around about how -horrible- the book's artwork was for the most part. He just chuckled and made some comment about how not being able to see wasn't always a bad thing. [As a side note, the art in MoI? What the hell WotC?])

Hey, I liked the artwork.
It wasn't brilliant, but it wasn't horrible, either.:smallmad:

Krrth
2009-02-14, 03:29 PM
I think there may have been a miscommunication somewhere. We don't take the sheet from him, he gives it to one of the players (or the GM) for quick reference. We normally don't have to do so, since he usually memorizes his sheets, but on the off chance we need to check something we can do so quickly. If you've got access to a computer or a reader that can do it for him, more the better.

Our player wasn't blind from birth either, and we assumed that he knew the same things we did. The tiger comment is born from an actual experience. Just be aware that the issue may come up from time to time.

Our group found it easier to play something other than DnD, but yours may not. Ironically, when we do play a d20 system, he usually runs it....

*shrug*

I wish you the best of luck. If you do get a chance to play, you may (or may not) be surprised at the differences.