PDA

View Full Version : How to make the PC's rebel

StickMan
2006-09-19, 08:09 PM
So my plan for my next game is to have my players start out in a world where there is only one major faith that rule all else. Its going to be a LN culture and will be some what opressive to the people. For example if you do not work for the goverment you can not practice magic. Now my goal with this is to see how long it takes my players to go aginst the goverment and there orders. My plan is to make them do a number of adventures that slowly escalte in how bad the goverment can be. For the first I think I'll have them doing the normaly go after the evil necro, zombies and all. Then a spell caster who wants to explore magic out side the eye of the state. After that I think I'll have them hunt down and kill a younge warewolf who does not understand whats happening to him. Finaly if they do not abanded there orders they will be sent to a town full of sick people just and just when the cure is in sight they will get new orders to burn down the village before the sickness spreads. Does any one have any advise on

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 08:32 PM
Arrrrrrr. Sounds like ye've got it pretty well planned out.

This may be more of a Gaming type thing, but I be not sure.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-20, 12:09 AM
Here's the thing: Tyranny is not Lawful Neutral. It is Lawful Evil.

Lawful Neutral is "The letter of the law states this." Lawful Evil is "The letter of the law states this, and I can get around them this way."

paddyfool
2006-09-20, 05:13 AM
Tyranny is not Lawful Neutral. It is Lawful Evil

Personally, I find it easy to imagine an oppressive Lawful Neutral state. I mean, most states are based on (1) trade (neutral) and (2) the rule of law (lawful neutral). And a perfect example of how focussing first and foremost on those two can be oppressive may be seen in any of the old European empires, from the Roman to the British (also, the Soviet Union had a slightly different focus, but I'd still put it in the LN camp, as at one time opposed by the USA in the CN camp). EDIT: I take this back, since I imagine some people might find it offensive, and because it's really only a little bit true.

To answer your actual question: it's easy! All your ideas are good; generally, just show up the heartlessness of cold, unfeeling authority and let it go from there. Perhaps your lawful neutral state could even have the odd lawful evil representative to really get the heroes backs up; and after they've done with him, and become proper rebel outlaws, you can really begin to mess with them. Say they get pursued by a lawful good person or two who doesn't know the full story... or then again, you could have the whole "harsh but fair" persona for a genuinely ambiguous opponent - such and such a lord really isn't a nice person, but he's a very competent administrator, and knows the benefits of keeping the people happy. Also, at any time they might be forced to ally themselves with really unscrupulous types for the "cause". Realpolitik is a fine way to mess with anyone's conceptions of morality ;) .

NullAshton
2006-09-20, 07:52 AM
This seems a lot like the Galactic Empire in Star Wars...

paddyfool
2006-09-20, 08:17 AM
Oh yes, I also recommend reading up on the "Tears of Blood" setting for a nicely LN sort of oppression in a Fantasy setting (the fading Feldarin empire).

NullAshton
2006-09-20, 09:03 AM
Ooo! Make sure you get a bunch of archers that can't hit the broad side of a barn! ;D

vanyell
2006-09-20, 10:16 AM
unless it adds to the story for them to hit

StickMan
2006-09-20, 05:23 PM
Tyranny is what I would call a goverment bent on getting rid of all evil in the land at any cost. All of the quests I am going to send my players is to get rid of evil and things that can harm the people. This goverment is trying to make there land better for there people at any cost and absoute order must stand for it to work in there view. Its true that many mebers of this goverment will be LE but as a whole they try to destroy evil and maitain order, but they can go to far. There is no true hate or i'll will to any one but those who are evil or touched by evil.

endoperez
2006-09-20, 06:04 PM
If you make every mission more morally ambiguous, the players might quess what you want them to do. I'd suggest throwing in some slaughter of an evil goblin tribe every now and then, except if your players are familiar with the Goblins comic. In that case, replace Goblins with human bandits.

You shouldn't make the situations two clear, either. It shouldn't be a choice between following orders and doing the right thing, but between doing the sure way or giving others a chance, with a risk included. Remember to have the players hunt down a renegade party or two, preferably long before they get to the morally ambiguous stuff.

fangthane
2006-09-20, 08:31 PM
Two words:

Adventure Tax.

StickMan
2006-09-20, 08:53 PM
Two words:

Adventure Tax.

Nice. But I think im going for a diffrent kind of rebeling. But hey if I need to push them off the edge....

krai
2006-09-20, 11:31 PM
I dont mean to be rude to all of oyu who have used the word but a tyrant is some1 whos took power illeagly the word now seems to imply evil. I would not call what your doing tyreany i would more call it why noone wants paladins as their leaders

Fax Celestis
2006-09-20, 11:49 PM
I dont mean to be rude to all of oyu who have used the word but a tyrant is some1 whos took power illeagly the word now seems to imply evil. I would not call what your doing tyreany i would more call it why noone wants paladins as their leaders
Er, "tyranny" is "forcing lower-level subjects into supporting the upper classes without due compensation," or "running a government that has no care for the common man, just the economy/war machine/elite," or even "I rule this land with an iron fist, and you all should know it."

Tyranny is evil, and a tyrant is someone who does terrible things.The root of tyranny is "tyranos", which (if you know your latin/dinosaurs) means "terrible". Tyrants are terrible leaders.

Meanwhile, what you've described--someone claiming a throne that is not their own--is not a tyrant. Rather, they are an usurper, which has its own roots in Latin: from "ursus", for "trade" or "exchange." You can see its use in the world today when someone commits the crime of "usury," also known as "money laundering."

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-20, 11:54 PM
Tyranos is Greek.

Fax Celestis
2006-09-21, 12:01 AM
I always mix up Greek and Latin roots. The point stands.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-21, 12:18 AM
Yes, it does. And it's all the scientists' fault anyway, mixing their Greek and LAtin together. T.T

paddyfool
2006-09-21, 02:12 AM
I like this idea. You don't have to be cruel to be oppressive enough to invite rebellion, just a little bit unfeeling. Remember, the opposite of love is not hate, but apathy.

StickMan
2006-09-21, 08:27 PM
Think the american revolution, to be fair england was never evil. In fact we payed lower taxes at the time in america then the english did in england.

krai
2006-09-22, 12:03 AM
i hope i never feel the need to correct anyone again The Greek Tyrants who you have decided were the poeple who came up with the root of the word were just people who took power in an illeagal way and eatablished democracys (those evil men ending the times of oppersion)