PDA

View Full Version : How can I screw with the party even more?

Shotaro
2009-02-14, 09:05 AM
Ok, so I DM a group on a Friday night - we have various players that come and go so the party is rather large (needless to say it becomes incredibly confusing when everyone is there.) The party consists of:

LG Paladin of Torm
LG Cleric of Torm
NE Cleric Wizard (complete with Amulet of Undetectable Alignment)
CN Halfling Rogue
Half-Orc Barbarian
Dwarven Fighter
Human Monk
Dwarven Cleric
Human Bard
Elven Ranger
Human Sorcerer

They are all 4th/5th level (thanks to a 1000XP bonus for going along with it when I messed up the map and had to move a room to give space for an extra corridor.)

Anyway the bard was possessed by an epic level CE sorceress who could take control at any time (she has effectively the same stat-line as the person she is posessing and can only trade spells like for like) with a 10+spell level% chance of taking over. The Cleric is also an apothecary and mixes potions of varying uses and usefulness (last week he attempted to make a potion to restore lost ability points - I gave it DC25 to succeed and DC30 to succeed with no side effects. He gave the potion for which he rolled a 26 to the Halfling Rogue who rolled 99 on a d100 to determine the ferocity of the side effects (he ended up having to roll a d100 everytime he used spot/listen/search to avoid going blind or deaf). The cleric rolled over 30 for a potion to undo the negative effects of the previous potion and so made one with no side effects. Step in the Bard. Eyes faintly glowing red she cast suggestion on the cleric (who passed his will save by 1) to hand him a different potion instead - Dex poison - The cleric then wondering what was in the bottle he was just handed analyses the contents and knows exactly what it is - Evil bitch takes over and starts flinging spells at people, when they do enough damage to the bard to knock her out EB moves out of the body and manages to sucessfully take over the sorcerer.

The sorcerer is the result of not one but two polymorph spells - the first from a human baby to an adult, that one the player IS aware of (kinda). The second, totally unbeknownst to the player is a permanent Polymorph Any Object on him that made him from a high level Axe that acted as a phylactery to an ancient red dragon. The axe just happens to have been made by the Dwarven Fighter's father with components (specifically magical rods) stolen from the Monks monastery.

The rogue and the cleric/wizard are working together for an evil wizard from Thay who have been tasked with retrieving the crown of horns. The c/w died this week and met a Lich who offered him the chance to live if he agreed to betray the wizard in Thay. The Lich and the Thay Wizard are both also trying to find the Rods and the Rogue has a Geas on him to retrieve them (along with one to protect the C/W and another to return the Crown of Horns to Thay).

The Half-Orc only joined the group this week after being saved by the Rogue - the half-orc is female and the halfling is male. Her pet name for him is "Squishy".

My party are heavily tied into a set of groups within the world that all want to take it over and the other characters are essentially along for the ride (for now.)

The question I ask to Evil GMs everywhere is - how can I make the party EVEN MORE screwed.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-14, 09:22 AM
Ok, so I DM a group on a Friday night - we have various players that come and go so the party is rather large (needless to say it becomes incredibly confusing when everyone is there.) The party consists of:

LG Paladin of Torm
LG Cleric of Torm
NE Cleric Wizard (complete with Amulet of Undetectable Alignment)
CN Halfling Rogue
Half-Orc Barbarian
Dwarven Fighter
Human Monk
Dwarven Cleric
Human Bard
Elven Ranger
Human Sorcerer

You have alot of players.

Anyway the bard was possessed by an epic level CE sorceress who could take control at any time ... and manages to sucessfully take over the sorcerer.

Why is a Epic caster going after the party? Doesn't she have better things to do.

The sorcerer is the result of not one but two polymorph spells - the first from a human baby to an adult, that one the player IS aware of (kinda). The second, totally unbeknownst to the player is a permanent Polymorph Any Object on him that made him from a high level Axe that acted as a phylactery to an ancient red dragon. The axe just happens to have been made by the Dwarven Fighter's father with components (specifically magical rods) stolen from the Monks monastery.

Make sure no one uses Greater Dispel magic around the Sorceror (Polymoprph any object is permanent so dispellable though with a Dragon Lich caster level is at least 16 +).

The question I ask to Evil GMs everywhere is - how can I make the party EVEN MORE screwed.

Rust Monsters could attack the party... at least 6 people use metal objects. Maybe a Rust Monster Swarm (if they exist)

Shotaro
2009-02-14, 09:29 AM
You have alot of players.

Why is a Epic caster going after the party? Doesn't she have better things to do.

bad luck more than anything else - the Bard was in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up possessed. She is looong dead and it is her spirit that she trapped in a painting that is moving from one human to the next.

Make sure no one uses Greater Dispel magic around the Sorceror (Polymoprph any object is permanent so dispellable though with a Dragon Lich caster level is at least 16 +).

The spell has caster level 22 - the guy who did it has been statted out since the players are likely to eventually meet up with him later in the story

Rust Monsters could attack the party... at least 6 people use metal objects. Maybe a Rust Monster Swarm (if they exist)

nice, like the idea of that, I was thinking more with their backstories and the likes but robbing them of their armour, weapons (magical and not magical) and if they get in real trouble money will cause them some real problems.