PDA

View Full Version : Metaphysical link between Roy and the Order

The_Void
2009-02-14, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but....

In this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0291.html) and this one here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0292.html), Eugene says that he cannot appear to Roy without the sword - the metaphysical representation of the family. With the sword absent, he is can't interact with anyone, just like Roy recently with Celia/Belkar/Haley. So I assume that there is a physical object somewhere that represents the Order, and that would allow Roy to speak to members of the Order. So, does anyone have any ideas as to what this object could be?

Optimystik
2009-02-14, 10:09 AM
In before Banjo :smallwink:

I think there's more to it than that - a blood relation might be required also (judging from the deva's comments to Eugene at the end of SoD.)

Janmorel
2009-02-14, 06:06 PM
Well... the Order is broken, just like the sword was. So, maybe they all just need to be together again for Roy to manifest?

(Although it would be funnier if the link was Banjo, and Roy just hasn't bothered trying to talk to Elan yet.)

Hands_Of_Blue
2009-02-14, 06:14 PM
It was that stick lying on the ground that they named themselves after.

Haven
2009-02-14, 06:21 PM
Wow, I hadn't thought about it like that, but it would be really perfect if the Order Of The Stick had to be whole again for him to be able to talk to them.

But then that would mean the Order Of The Stick would be together without him, which makes me sad.

The only way I can see that scenario working for me, in fact, is if the Order reunites, then shortly thereafter Roy's ghost appears to them, they're all perfectly happy somehow, Elan even says "Now that we're all back together, and Roy is soon to be resurrected without any consequences, things are going to turn out perfectly!"--and then while Durkon's casting Raise Dead, the Linear Guild ambushes them, and they have to go 10 rounds without Durkon or Roy. They hang on thanks to TEAMWORK, and then Roy comes back and kicks ass.

Except, you know...funnier. :p

Optimystik
2009-02-14, 06:23 PM
*snip*

Might want to spoiler that for people who haven't read OtOoPCs...

Janmorel
2009-02-14, 06:27 PM
Wow, I hadn't thought about it like that, but it would be really perfect if the Order Of The Stick had to be whole again for him to be able to talk to them.

But then that would mean the Order Of The Stick would be together without him, which makes me sad.

The only way I can see that scenario working for me, in fact, is if the Order reunites, then shortly thereafter Roy's ghost appears to them, they're all perfectly happy somehow, Elan even says "Now that we're all back together, and Roy is soon to be resurrected without any consequences, things are going to turn out perfectly!"--and then while Durkon's casting Raise Dead, the Linear Guild ambushes them, and they have to go 10 rounds without Durkon or Roy. They hang on thanks to TEAMWORK, and then Roy comes back and kicks ass.

I like that! Except that Elan is too genre-savvy to say that. It would be a perfect line for Celia, though, and Elan would be the one to point out that she'd just jinxed them.

xyzzy
2009-02-14, 08:00 PM

I like this theory. The Order working together again as the point when Roy is resurrected seems really likely.