PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Pratchett Books?

Teela-Y
2009-02-14, 11:45 AM
Personally, I love the first, The Color of Magic, and my top favorite is Going Postal, along with its sequel Making Money. I haven't read every Pratchett books yet, though, so this may change with time.

I've read a good amount of them, but I have a good amount to still read as well. Feel free to discuss why you like the books so much too. Anyone have an interesting moment to mention with a Pratchett book?

Cubey
2009-02-14, 01:05 PM
My favorites would have to be, in roughly the order as presented in, Reaperman, Small Gods and Night Watch. The first is full of character development and general great moments for Death, the next is one of the deepest but nevertheless very funny Discworld books, and the last is basically a vehicle to show how awesome Vimes is, which works because he really is that awesome.

I generally like all of them, however. Only the few first books have a rather lukewarm reception from me. That generally includes only Color of Magic and Light Fantastic, but when I'm feeling particularly sceptical I throw everything up to and including Sourcery into the mix.

Spiryt
2009-02-14, 01:15 PM
Personally I love first ones, though Equal Rites are meh.

Light Fantastic and Sourcery are supreme as well as Soul Music and Small Gods.

Z-dan
2009-02-14, 01:24 PM
Interesting... in my experience of being a Pratchett fan the first books always tend to be people's least favourites...

Personally, my favourite is Good Omens (co-written with Neil Gaiman), but if we're talking pure Discworld then my favourite is Night Watch. Followed closely by Maskerade, Feet of Clay, Going Postal, Thief of Time, and most of the others :smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2009-02-14, 01:33 PM
Good Omens, Night Watch, Going Postal, Hogfather. I quite liked Pyramids and Thud! as well.

I haven't really all his books yet, though, so. :/

TengYt
2009-02-14, 04:53 PM
Good Omens.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-14, 04:54 PM
I'm a big fan of the Watch, so Men-at-Arms might be my favorite, though I really enjoyed Going Postal as well.

Cespenar
2009-02-14, 05:08 PM
Good Omens, Going Postal, Small Gods, among a whole lot.

eidreff
2009-02-14, 05:20 PM
I have been a Pratchett addict from the late eighties I think... when my mother initially banned me from reading the colour of magic because she thought the cover meant it was a "rude" book :smalltongue:

I can't really pick one that stands out... for me they all show different stages of maturity.... I love the parody in the early ones which pick up on a huge number of different author's stereotypical characters, I find the witches hugely entertaining. Death... well 'nuff said. I have however found myself re-reading the books with the watchmen in more-often... maybe those are my favourites then... or it could just be that I am too lazy to put them back on the shelf where they belong.:smallyuk:

Cheesegear
2009-02-14, 05:20 PM
Night Watch, Maskerade, Reaper Man, The Last Continent, Sourcery, Hogfather, Wyrd Sisters.

In that order.

Haruki-kun
2009-02-14, 05:42 PM
I've only read 4. My favourite out of those 4 so far is Jingo.

Broler
2009-02-14, 05:52 PM
i like mort and small gods :smallsmile:

Teela-Y
2009-02-14, 05:54 PM
Oh my goodness! I forgot about Soul Music! Susan is one of my absolute favorites.

I love the moments where Death appears throughout the novels. x3

DraPrime
2009-02-14, 05:56 PM
I have always really loved Pyramids. It saddens me that Pratchett will probably die without ever making a sequel or something.

Drascin
2009-02-14, 06:05 PM
I love the moments where Death appears throughout the novels. x3

"YOU ARE UNDERGOING A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE. THIS, LOGICALLY, MEANS I MUST UNDERGO A NEAR VIMES EXPERIENCE. PLEASE CONTINUE, DO NOT MIND ME. I BROUGHT A BOOK"

Discworld's Death is the most awesome personification of Death ever.

Da King
2009-02-14, 06:15 PM
My personal favourites are Guards, Guards!, The Truth, Going Postal, and Making Money.

Turcano
2009-02-14, 06:35 PM
Interesting... in my experience of being a Pratchett fan the first books always tend to be people's least favourites...

I feel the same way. I've read about three-quarters of the series (the exceptions being Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids, Faust Eric, Reaper Man, and Maskerade), and I don't think that Pratchett found his voice until Small Gods.

Thufir
2009-02-14, 06:43 PM
Good Omens and Nation spring to mind. The discworld books are also excellent, but I'm not sure which ones I'd pick out as favourites.

bosssmiley
2009-02-14, 06:56 PM
Discworld: Reaper Man ("A CROWN? I NEVER WORE A CROWN!"), Small Gods, Feet of Clay, Fifth Elephant, Moving Pictures and - believe it or not - the Tiffany Aching series (Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith).

Non-Discworld: Carpet People, The Dark Side of the Sun, Good Omens

Semi-Discworld: all three of the Science of Discworld books

El Tel: probably the best British humourist since Wodehouse. :smallcool:

The_Snark
2009-02-14, 07:30 PM
In no particular order, I rather like Small Gods, The Last Continent, and Hogfather. I've restrained myself to a small list, because there are plenty of others I really enjoyed, but those are the ones that stand out.

Trying to pick apart my reasons... I like both Death and Susan, and I think Hogfather is the book that features both most (Reaper Man and Mort have no Susan, Soul Music's Death spends much of the time offscreen, and Thief of Time simply didn't read as well to me), plus the premise of that book was funny. The Ecksians are hilarious, as are the UU faculty wizards (another point for Hogfather). I can't explain Small Gods; I just really liked it.

I also like the three/four witches, and the Night Watch, but while the characters there are great no single book jumps out at me.

Honorable mention also to Good Omens and the Tiffany Aching/Nac Mac Feegle books.

Icewalker
2009-02-14, 07:39 PM
I've only read two of them so far. The Color of Magic, and then The Light Fantastic.

When I finished The Light Fantastic, I couldn't figure out how I could read his other books, because it could only go downhill from that ending. So absolutely epic. My friends insist it isn't even one of his best, and I'll get back to reading more eventually...

chiasaur11
2009-02-14, 07:45 PM
I've only read two of them so far. The Color of Magic, and then The Light Fantastic.

When I finished The Light Fantastic, I couldn't figure out how I could read his other books, because it could only go downhill from that ending. So absolutely epic. My friends insist it isn't even one of his best, and I'll get back to reading more eventually...

Those two...

they are pretty near the worst of Pratchett's work. Yes. He is that good.

Me, I like Hogfather, Night Watch, and the half of Reaper Man about Bill Door best, although all the Watch books and Pyramids are also topnotch.

Tengu_temp
2009-02-14, 07:46 PM

Pratchett's books after the first six get less epic. They also get funnier, smarter, and create their own identity instead of being a general parody of fantasy cliches.

puppyavenger
2009-02-14, 07:52 PM
Going Postal, Small Gods, Thief of Time and Pyramids for me.

A Rainy Knight
2009-02-14, 09:44 PM
I liked Reaper Man, Hogfather, and Mort the best, but I also happen to be a huge fan of Death. Any of the books that prominently feature Death are a big hit with me.

littlebottom
2009-02-14, 10:28 PM
I CANT CHOOOOSE :smallfrown: but i think a few that stand out in my mind at the moment are guards guards and the last continent, the wizards on the beech, that was priceless :smallbiggrin: (i love rincewind hes just amazing :smallbiggrin:) i just liked the one bit with ridcully and ponder (proberbly spelt the names wrong, im tired and have been reading through the gaurds books recently)

(not word for word sorry)
Ridcully: ill just cast a fireball then, its perfectly safe!
Ponder: how safe?
Ridcully: it works 9 times out of 10
Ponder: and how many times have you used it?
Ridcully: 9 why?
Ponder: and it worked every time?
Ridcully: yes...

AND! good omens. its not a discworld book, but it made me laugh more than once a page, and i mean proper laughs (where when you read it in a library, you get some weird looks)

of course, what i realy want to say is ALL OF THEM (including the non discworld ones)

The Bookworm
2009-02-14, 10:35 PM
I've read all (in publication order) up to Lords and Ladies. My favorites are Witches Abroad, Reaper Man, and Wyrd Sisters!

Vonriel
2009-02-15, 01:55 PM
My favorite Pratchett books would have to be those ones. You know, the ones that he wrote?

Really though, I can't answer the question. I like every book he's written nearly equally well, though I suppose some of the ones that beat out the others are: Men at Arms, Lords and Ladies, Thud!, Small Gods, Good Omens, and Reaper Man, in no particular order.

One of my favorite exchanges in any of the books, though, happened between Bill Door and his landlady. She tries to tell him he can cut more than one plant at a time, and he looks back, shocked that she could even suggest such a thing. I know, not as iconic as some of the others, but I like to think it's one of the most defining things about DEATH that we ever read.

In Thud!, the entire book was made for me with one sentence: "THIS! IS! NOT! MY! COW!"

And, I know exactly what Cheery (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5776531&postcount=26) is talking about, I read every book in a local bookstore, and man, did I get some weird looks. Even got a conversation or two :smalltongue:

Bouregard
2009-02-15, 07:18 PM
I have always really loved Pyramids. It saddens me that Pratchett will probably die without ever making a sequel or something.

Pyramids, Good Omen and The last Continent.
Last Hero was also pretty cool and don't let me start with Interesting Times.

Best author ever for me.

My favourite quotes are those barbarians.

Cohen the brabarian, tryed to buy an apple.

Lights Fantastic and Color of magic are the two worst books. Trust me.
There are much much better.

Nah, we don't wanna attack up front. It would take days to kill them all
(Cohen talking about a good million enemy soldiers)

chiasaur11
2009-02-15, 07:22 PM
Oh, forgot about good omens.

Aces, that one.

littlebottom
2009-02-15, 07:33 PM
In Thud!, the entire book was made for me with one sentence: "THIS! IS! NOT! MY! COW!"

And, I know exactly what Cheery (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5776531&postcount=26) is talking about, I read every book in a local bookstore, and man, did I get some weird looks. Even got a conversation or two :smalltongue:

haha, the one thread i can count on someone to understand my name :smallwink::smallcool:

Teela-Y
2009-02-15, 09:51 PM
Oh my goodness! I want to read the children's book he actually helped to make for "Where's My Cow."

It *is* an actual book, you know! Really! I want to read it, but I don't know a library that has it. :P

Thud! was amazing.

chiasaur11
2009-02-15, 11:02 PM
Oh my goodness! I want to read the children's book he actually helped to make for "Where's My Cow."

It *is* an actual book, you know! Really! I want to read it, but I don't know a library that has it. :P

Thud! was amazing.

I read it. Alright enough.

Bookstore near me had it.

Vonriel
2009-02-17, 02:54 PM
Nah, we don't wanna attack up front. It would take days to kill them all
(Cohen talking about a good million enemy soldiers)

Cohen is freakin' amazing. Definitely one of the better characters in the series.

Corporal, I've read the Watch books far too many times to not catch so subtle a reference. :smallwink:

Z-dan
2009-02-17, 05:17 PM

Thud! was amazing.

Got that :smallwink: it's a good book, if a bit of a rip-off... then again name a childrens book that isnt...
Either way, when we have kids that's gonna be the book they're raised on :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-02-17, 05:44 PM
Got that :smallwink: it's a good book, if a bit of a rip-off... then again name a childrens book that isnt...
Either way, when we have kids that's gonna be the book they're raised on :smallbiggrin:

There's a monster at the end of this book is literary perfection.

Worth every penny.

Zain
2009-02-21, 09:27 PM
Amen Brother:smallbiggrin: