PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Feats?

UserClone
2009-02-14, 01:35 PM
So I am playing a Beguiler, starting at level 7.
My DM has OK'd a single level dip into Mindbender, which I'll be taking.
I'll probably take Shadow Conjuration for my Advanced Learning, for utility.
My problems are twofold: Originally, I was going to play a Changeling, but it seems redundant with my illusory abilities and my plan to be a disguise whore in the first place.

So, what race should I be? What feats (besides Versatile Spellcaster and Master Linguist, which I already want) should I take?

If there is nothing better than Human/Strongheart Halfling, what bonus feat should I take?

Most books are allowed, though very little in the way of Campaign-setting specific material and no Dragon Mag stuff, not even Compendium.

EDIT: It's a ranger now.

Animefunkmaster
2009-02-14, 01:47 PM
I still think changeling is a good deal, why waste spells when you can do your disguise self at will. This also might stack with the spell, as the SRD has disguise self as a typeless +10 to disguise while the changling ability is +10 circumstance bonus. Also the changeling ability does alter the tactile/touch and maybe audio of you (unlike the spell).

Also, can't go wrong with the Changeling Recaster... might not work so well with beguiler, but there is two "expanded knowledge" in there and better than sudden metamagics.

Otherwise, strong heart halfling?

Chronos
2009-02-14, 01:53 PM
To points to consider re: Changeling. First, depending on your interpretation of the rules, the disguise bonus from the Changeling's ability might or might not stack with the bonus from Disguise Self. Ask your DM about that. Second, Disguise Self is only visual, so you might still be found out by touch, while the Changeling's ability is an actual physical change.

For the rest, what are you planning on doing with the character? It sounds like your primary focus will be social skills/spells, but beyond that, will you be putting a greater emphasis on offensive spells, dungeoneering/treasure finding skills (Open Locks, Disable Device, Sleight of Hand, etc.), or recon skills (Hide, Move Silently, Listen, Spot)?

If you want to be stealthy, then there's no better choice than Whisper Gnome (Races of Stone), since they get huge bonuses to Hide and Move Silently and spell-like abilities to match. The downside is that they get a Cha penalty, which will affect your Disguise and other social skills. Another option is the Dark template (Tome of Magic)-- The LA 1 is well worth it for a primarily skill-based character, though it might not be for a spellcaster (unless LA buyoff rules are allowed).

If you want to focus primarily on your spellcasting, Grey Elf is a solid choice, with a bonus to Int (and Dex, too). The biggest downside is that they're perhaps a bit over-used by optimizers, so you can look like a munchkin using one. A few DMs will also allow Lesser Tieflings, who get more ability score bonuses than penalties (though I think one of their penalties is Cha), and being of the Outsider type can be a benefit.

For the bonus-feat races, Strongheart Halfling (assuming your DM allows it) is probably better than Human, since dex is much more important to you than strength, and small size is an advantage to anyone who's not built for melee combat.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-14, 01:53 PM
Strongheart Halfling is probably your best bet, unless you can wrangle a creature with amazing SLAs or a bizarre type and an Int bonus.

As far as feats? I'm a fan of Invisible Spell (Cityscape) for my beguilers. Invisible Spell is a +0 adjust that makes your spell invisible. I don't recall where I saw this or if it's a house rule, but I seem to recall that since it's a total +0 mod, it doesn't increase the casting time even though you're a spontaneous caster.

UserClone
2009-02-14, 02:26 PM
Well, I think that's a houserule.

As it turns out, I am going in a wildly different direction at this time, as I've been told there is now going to be a rogue on board, and I was mostly doing the Beguiler for the social/skillmonkey aspect, with the utility of the magic as a bonus, so I don't want to step on the Rogue's toes.

At this point, I am playing a Woodling (MM3) Half-Orc Ranger, with the CChamp variant that gives you bonus feats instead of spells.

What are we thinking is a must-have for this guy? I am not particularly interested in TWF at all, and only mildly so in ranged combat, so if there is anything other than Wildshape (which has been disallowed) that I can get for my Combat Style, I'd like to see it. I am also considering the Distracting Attack feature, since I can't be bothered to muck around with a pet.

Any nice ACFs/Feats I am going to want down the road? I am mainly looking to be a frontliner who helps others get a flank and eats damage. Like a meatshield, only made of wood. So, like a heavy wooden shield, I guess. A walking one, though.

Also, should I take 18, 15, 14, 13, 12, 10 or a 36-point buy? If the point buy, how would they best be distributed?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-14, 02:33 PM
FWIW, you can easily have a party with 2 skillmonkeys. In fact, 2 skillmonkeys really opens up both of their options, since so many skills are vital to the skillmonkey's job but only one of you needs. Let him have traps, locks, and hiding, and you take hiding and social skills. In combat, he does damage while you buff the party and SoD the enemies.

UserClone
2009-02-14, 02:38 PM
I think I'll stick with the Ranger, if only for ease of use. It's pretty much a matter of run towards the bad guy and then kick stab him in the nads head, versus spells, which I am typically not good at selecting, especially in the heat of the moment. Anyway, they are in more need I think of frontliners.

EDIT: is Improved Natural Attack worthwhile? Seems like not, since it only goes up an average of one point.

monty
2009-02-14, 06:23 PM
There needs to be a class that gets bonuses against enemies with nads.

UserClone
2009-02-14, 06:45 PM
A class with bonuses against enemies with nads, you say??
Eureka! The Women's Self Defense Expert PrC!

Darrin
2009-02-15, 12:26 AM
EDIT: is Improved Natural Attack worthwhile? Seems like not, since it only goes up an average of one point.

Depends if you're going into Fist of the Forest and are trying to maximize your unarmed damage. If you can get up into multple d8's, then yes, it's worth it.

UserClone
2009-02-15, 09:24 AM
Well, since my unarmed Strike wouldn't be considered a Natural Attack until I actually TOOK FoF, I was talking about my 1d6 Slam attack.