PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Race] Lizardfolk

Fax Celestis
2009-02-14, 02:53 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83018.jpg

Lizardfolk look like a crocodile on its back legs: they have long snouts full of vicious teeth, mottled green scales, and long tails. A lizardfolk is usually 6 to 7 feet tall and weights between 200 to 250 pounds. Its tail is used for balance and is 3 to 4 feet long.

Lizardfolk speak Draconic.

-2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom
Medium size: Lizardfolk, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Reptilian: Lizardfolk are humanoids with the (Reptilian) subtype.
Speed: A lizardfolk's base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision
Natural Weapons: Lizardfolk possess vicious natural attacks. They have two claw attacks that each deal 1d4 damage. They also possess a bite attack that deals 1d6 damage. A lizardfolk's bite attack is its primary natural attack.
Balancing Tail: Lizardfolk receive a +4 racial bonus on Athletics checks due to their tail
Natural Armor: Lizardfolk have a +1 natural armor bonus. This bonus improves by 1 every four levels (to +2 at 4th, +3 at 8th, +4 at 12th, +5 at 16th, and +6 at 20th).
Hold Breath: Lizardfolk are natural-born swimmers and can hold their breath for twice the normal duration underwater.
Natural Talent: A lizardfolk has a small pool of reserve energy they may tap into daily. A lizardfolk has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following abilities as an immediate action or to power a feat with the [Lizardfolk] descriptor:
Burst of Speed: +10' insight bonus to land speed for a number of rounds equal to his Dexterity modifier.
Solar Channeling: +2 racial bonus to Strength or Constitution for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution modifier. This power can only be used while in direct sunlight.
Sunlight Claws: the lizardfolk's natural attacks are treated as magical weapons and receive a +1 enhancement bonus. This enhancement bonus increases every five levels (to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 10th level, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 20th level). This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the lizardfolk's Constitution modifier.
Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Common, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Druid.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-14, 05:29 PM
Nice. I like that they're heavy-hitting bruisers.

Stats, size, type, speed, and vision look good.
Natural Weapons: How much of their strength modifier applies to the claws and bite? Considering the renowned strength of crocodile jaws, perhaps 1.5 STR on the bite?
Balancing Tail looks good. Since it's such a large tail, perhaps a tail slap is in order? Perhaps through a feat? Also, Swim is covered under Athletics, right?
Natural Armor looks good. Again, I love that it scales with HD.
Hold Breath looks good.
Nature's Fury feels a bit weird to me. While the selected spells make sense, it just feels strange for them to have any innate SLAs. Perhaps in keeping with their more martial focus, they get an extra point of Prowess ever level?
Favored Class: Maybe it's just the picture and the stat mods, and maybe it's because we haven't seen your d20r Druid yet, but I feel that Barbarian would be a more fitting favored Class.

On the favored class note, do you have anything against them having multiple favored classes? Or all your races? Maybe they can choose between two favored classes at creation (like a human can with any class), one martially focused, the other magically focused?

Fax Celestis
2009-02-14, 05:38 PM
Natural Weapons: How much of their strength modifier applies to the claws and bite? Considering the renowned strength of crocodile jaws, perhaps 1.5 STR on the bite?Actually, bites always carry 1.5*Str when used as primaries, and secondary naturals always use .5 STR.

Balancing Tail looks good. Since it's such a large tail, perhaps a tail slap is in order? Perhaps through a feat? Also, Swim is covered under Athletics, right?Tail slap will be through a feat, and Swim is under Athletics.

Nature's Fury feels a bit weird to me. While the selected spells make sense, it just feels strange for them to have any innate SLAs. Perhaps in keeping with their more martial focus, they get an extra point of Prowess ever level?Possibly. Not sure on that. I kinda wanted a 'daily expendable' racial feature so I could power other racial feats with it.

Favored Class: Maybe it's just the picture and the stat mods, and maybe it's because we haven't seen your d20r Druid yet, but I feel that Barbarian would be a more fitting favored Class.The d20r Druid will probably look like the binder from ToM, so it'll be very, very different.

On the favored class note, do you have anything against them having multiple favored classes? Or all your races? Maybe they can choose between two favored classes at creation (like a human can with any class), one martially focused, the other magically focused?I'm really not even sure what I'm going to do with the favored class mechanic at the moment. Right now, I'm considering changing it so you get +1 skill point and +1 prowess per level when you're in your favored class, but I'm uncertain on that.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-14, 05:50 PM
Possibly. Not sure on that. I kinda wanted a 'daily expendable' racial feature so I could power other racial feats with it.
I can understand that, and I could get behind it. Just feels a bit odd to me is all. Maybe if they were Ex bonuses instead of SLAs? Kind of like Rage, but more utility.

The d20r Druid will probably look like the binder from ToM, so it'll be very, very different.
Sounds very cool, can't wait to see it.

I'm really not even sure what I'm going to do with the favored class mechanic at the moment. Right now, I'm considering changing it so you get +1 skill point and +1 prowess per level when you're in your favored class, but I'm uncertain on that.
I like this idea very much. An actual bonus for being in your favored class, instead of just negating a potential penalty. Of course, that begs the question, would humans effectively always get the bonus?

Glyphic
2009-02-14, 05:55 PM
Someone else came up with this for Favored classes.. I like the theory, but I think it makes favored class too desirable (actually, I think it was because play started at level 5 and I really needed another feat..). Prowess per level seems the same way..

Every level you take in your race's class gives you +1 HP. Additionally, when a character's levels in their favored class reach 5 and 10, they gain a bonus feat from the core rulebooks only.

UserClone
2009-02-14, 06:59 PM
The SLAs make sense in a way, but Lizardfolk just shouldn't have an innate magic. It somehow doesn't feel right. Perhaps something more organic, like acidic spittle or something, maybe some poison with uses per day?

Anyhow, my other issue with the SLAs is the fact that their Favored lass is Druid. In what way would they be wanting for those particular spells? Seems like unnecessary overlap to me.

[/2cp]

Lappy9000
2009-02-14, 10:54 PM
The SLAs make sense in a way, but Lizardfolk just shouldn't have an innate magic. It somehow doesn't feel right.Indeed. Magic Fang and Longstrider make perfect sense to be given to a lizardfolk, but just the fact that they have spells seems off. All I think it needs is a little fluff. Lizardfolk have always been awfully shamanistic and nature-loving. Is the pool of energy granted by them becoming one with nature?

Ooh, instead of the generic "natural divine energy," why not rely on some of the vaguely mentioned reliance that lizardfolk have on the sun? Their abilities could actually be powered through the sun's energies. Not only is it a break from the standard druid spell-like abilities, it's also a goldmine of fluff; sun gods, importance of pyramid-like ziggurats, cultural significance of sunbathing, emphasis on minimal clothing, weakness and fear through solar eclipses, giant, unsophisticated reflectors used as primal laser cannons.......Holy crap, if you’re not going to go with this idea, then I am :smallbiggrin:

Limos
2009-02-14, 11:00 PM
Lappy, you should totally stat up some stuff for sun worshippers. That sounds amazing.

Bandededed
2009-02-14, 11:20 PM
Of course, that begs the question, would humans effectively always get the bonus?

Isn't it mentioned that a human's favored class is the highest level class he has? If so, then single classed humans would always get it, but not anyone who multiclasses

Lappy9000
2009-02-15, 12:15 AM
Lappy, you should totally stat up some stuff for sun worshippers. That sounds amazing.Thanks :smallcool:

I'll glady write up something for Fax, if'n he likes mah ideas. If he's just doing his own thing (which is totally cool), this is going in LoM faster than a Hasted hummingbird drinking a Vault.

UserClone
2009-02-15, 09:12 AM
Actually, they already have a bite. Why not just give them Dex-poison for it, the DC and dice of which increase with level. You could also give them the option of spitting it at an opponent, blinding them for a round, the duration/distance of which and the DC of which increase with level. That sounds pretty fitting to me, unless it overlaps with a race of which I am not aware.

blackspeeker
2009-02-15, 01:45 PM
Indeed. Magic Fang and Longstrider make perfect sense to be given to a lizardfolk, but just the fact that they have spells seems off. All I think it needs is a little fluff. Lizardfolk have always been awfully shamanistic and nature-loving. Is the pool of energy granted by them becoming one with nature?

Ooh, instead of the generic "natural divine energy," why not rely on some of the vaguely mentioned reliance that lizardfolk have on the sun? Their abilities could actually be powered through the sun's energies. Not only is it a break from the standard druid spell-like abilities, it's also a goldmine of fluff; sun gods, importance of pyramid-like ziggurats, cultural significance of sunbathing, emphasis on minimal clothing, weakness and fear through solar eclipses, giant, unsophisticated reflectors used as primal laser cannons.......Holy crap, if you’re not going to go with this idea, then I am :smallbiggrin:

I know you're considering converting to this system, and I wanted you to know you had me at primal laser cannons.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-15, 02:55 PM
With the race being so massive, it just seems that Powerful Build would be something they might be able to get ahold of, either as a Racial Feat or perhaps in trade for some of the other things... not sure how to make it all balanced but it just seems like it could fit...

Lappy9000
2009-02-15, 03:32 PM
With the race being so massive, it just seems that Powerful Build would be something they might be able to get ahold of, either as a Racial Feat or perhaps in trade for some of the other things... not sure how to make it all balanced but it just seems like it could fit...I don't think lizardfolk are quite large enough to qualify for Powerful Build. I mean, yeah, 6-7 foot is big for a medium creature, but half-giants can hit over 8 foot which could almost qualify them for Large size. Lizardfolk are 200-250 lbs, but half-giants are 250-400 lbs :smalleek:

Fax Celestis
2009-02-16, 12:14 PM
Sun worshippers amazing idea. I'll be refluffing those abilities (and possibly non-SLAing them with some alteration). Lappy, gimme whatcha got.

Lappy9000
2009-02-16, 05:57 PM
I know Semuanya's domains are Animal, Plant, and Water, but it sounds better than . Although, it'd be no problem to just add Sun to that list of domains. Tell me if I'm over-doing it :smallbiggrin:

[I]Despite the views of outsiders, who regularly cite the lizardfolk as boorish, animalistic, and crude, the greenscales have developed a unique and diverse warrior culture without straying away from their roots. Often staying to the warm marshlands out of which their race was born, lizardfolk form tribal societies, with these family groups living in encampments outside major worship centers. While the dwellings of most tribes normally consist of habitable caverns, both aboveground and submerged, the religious temples of the lizard folk are formed of massive stone cities where all tribes gather for days both special and mundane. Shrines take the form of multi-tiered stone ziggurats, positioned to always catch the sun’s rays, and are open to the public for the important daily tasks of prayer sun basking.

Such sun ceremonies, small as they may be, are vital to the lives of the lizardfolk, and these loyal sons and daughters of Semuanya venerate the radiant deity of the sun with great compassion. Both shamans and the masses weave the natural magic of their idol, and common lizardfolk principles denounce clothing and heavy armor, as they only help to separate Semuanya from his/her children. However, while cloth armor is common enough among warriors, jewelry, especially gold, are worn by almost all members of lizardfolk society in order to dutifully reflect Semuyana’s brilliance.

However, despite the love the lizardfolk bear for their creator, they fear the time when Semuyana sleeps, and many rituals and sacrifice accompany these days of darkness as the fearful lizardfolk try to awaken their slumbering deity. Even though the lizardfolk are weakest on their darkest days, an attacker on any other occasion would witness a mighty army formed of the strongest and bravest of the lizardfolk’s ranks. Alongside Semuyana’s warpriests and the dreaded Solacalli [or other Nahuatl-inspired word], or sun cages, that capture the rays of sun to be used against the lizardfolk’s enemies. Despite the inferior obsidian and bronze weaponry of the lizardfolk, their strength, cunning, and zeal make the sons and daughters of Semuyana a proud race not to be crossed.

For the Solacalli (aka lazor kannon) I'm thinking mirror reflectors mounted on something like a siege tower. Huge size, prolly 1,500 gp; operated by 10-20 (pushed/turn reflector). Sunray, 4-6d6 damage, minimum range of 20 ft, max range of 60-120 ft.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-26, 06:17 PM
Updated Natural Talent ability.

Lappy9000
2009-02-26, 06:30 PM
Updated Natural Talent ability.I helped inspire something :smallbiggrin:

MammonAzrael
2009-02-26, 06:40 PM
I like the update, the Sun feel is awesome. Perhaps, to help set them further apart from Half-Giants, change the +2 STR to +2 WIS? This would further reinforce a very religious society, with a heavier focus on Druids and Clerics.

I helped inspire something :smallbiggrin:

Indeed, that was an awesome suggestion!

Fax Celestis
2009-02-26, 06:52 PM
I like the update, the Sun feel is awesome. Perhaps, to help set them further apart from Half-Giants, change the +2 STR to +2 WIS? This would further reinforce a very religious society, with a heavier focus on Druids and Clerics.

Awesome. *does so.*

Magnor Criol
2009-02-27, 01:07 PM
So does "direct sunlight" have to be natural sunlight, or will spells that emulate sunlight provide light sufficient for it?

Fax Celestis
2009-02-27, 01:33 PM
So does "direct sunlight" have to be natural sunlight, or will spells that emulate sunlight provide light sufficient for it?

Emulation is sufficient.