PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Kobold Elemental Sage (homebrew monster) NOW IN OOTS STYLE!

Person1123
2009-02-14, 03:14 PM
YAY! NOW LOVINGLY RENDERED IN OOTS STYLE BY YOURS TRULY!
http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/person_1123/kobosage.png

This creature is a kobold who has devoted his soul to a single draconic master and has gained some of its powers, in exchange for eternal servitude. However, this transition usually leaves them gibbering mad and ready to attack on sight.

They have different power keywords depending on the dragon they serve. The damage type chosen will be represented as "element".

Kobold element Sage

Kobold element Sage Level 2 Elite Brute
Small natural humanoid (element) XP 250
Initiative +2 Senses Perception +8, Darkvision
HP 80; Bloodied 40
AC 13; Fortitude 16; Reflex 15; Will 18; see also trap sense
Resist 5 element
Saving Throws +2
Speed 5
Action Points 1
Slam (standard; at-will;basic melee) * element
+5 vs. AC; 1d4+3 plus 1d4 element damage. If the attack beats the target's AC by 5 or more, make a secondary attack. Secondary attack: +3 vs. AC; 1d6+2 damage. If the secondary attack hits by 5 or more, make a tertiary attack. Tertiary attack: +2 vs. Will; ongoing 5 element damage, and 5 damage to the user.
Hand Crossbow (standard; at-will;basic ranged) * element
Ranged 20; +2 vs. AC; 1d4+2 damage plus 2 element damage.
Dragon's Fury (minor; recharge 5,6) * element
+7 vs. Reflex; 1d10+3 element damage plus ongoing 3 element damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to hit (save ends both).
Explosion (standard; recharge when first bloodied) * Element
Close burst 2; +3 vs. Reflex; 1d6+3 element damage.
Teleport (move; encounter) * Teleportation
The user teleports up to 15 squares.
Shifty (minor; at-will)
The kobold shifts one square.
Uncanny Dodge (immediate interrupt; when hit by an attack against AC or reflex; recharge 6)
The attack misses, and all damage from it is avoided.
Trap Sense
The kobold gains a +2 bonus to all defenses against traps.
Alignment Any Languages Common, Draconic, Telepathy with dragon overlord.
Skills Acrobatics +8, Stealth +8
STR - 16 (+4) DEX - 14 (+3) WIS - 16 (+4)
CON - 10 (+1) INT - 8 (+0) CHA - 8 (+0)
Equipment baggy pants, studded collar, hand crossbow w/ 20 bolts

Tactics: The Element Sage usually leads a group of weaker underlings (I usually use Kobold Minions) from behind, getting its enemies surrounded as it snipes with its hand crossbow and uses Uncanny Dodge to avoid damage. When its underlings begin to go down, it Teleports in, immediately using Explosion. It then proceeds to disable the most powerful melee adversaries with Dragon's Fury, before reverting to Slam attacks.

Description: (This is done for a Fire Sage) Ahead of you stands a kobold. It wears baggy leggings and a thick belt. Hanging from the belt is a small crossbow and a quiver of bolts. Around its neck is a heavy studded collar. Its chest is nearly covered by an enormous red tattoo of a twisting flame. Its face bears the expression of one who is insane, or a wild beast.

Mercenary Pen
2009-02-14, 03:37 PM
I'm wondering whether you've got too much going on with this kobold, considering he has as many abilities as a kobold 4 levels higher (having checked all the kobolds in the MM and Draconomicon 1).

In particular, 30 squares teleportation as a move action, even as an encounter power, is overkill- simply because it doubles as plot-shielding. By stating that the Elemental Sage can teleport 30 squares, you've given it an unbeatable means of retreat, and you've more or less told your players that they aren't supposed to ever defeat this monster. By comparison, 4e Warlocks, known for their teleportation, max out at teleporting 20 squares.

Person1123
2009-02-15, 06:08 AM
Yeah, that does seem a bit much now that I think back on it. I think I'm gonna change the teleport to 15 squares.

Oh, and the reason for the large amount of abilities is that I perceive a lack of monsters that can really make people have to do anything but mindlessly smack stuff at low level.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-15, 06:43 AM
I'd love to see some fluff and description; though I think the crunch of it's really well-done, I'm finding it very hard to visualise.

Person1123
2009-02-15, 07:35 AM
Hmf.

I suppose I can describe it.