PDA

View Full Version : To Frolic in Daydreams [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-09-21, 12:49 AM
Inspired by the Vorpal Tribble

Eua-ia
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast (Aquatic, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 8d10+24 (68 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: Swim 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +6 natural), touch 14, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+16
Attack: Slam +12 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: Slam +12 melee (1d6+4) and Tail Slap +7 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Calling of the dreamers, stuff of whimsy
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., born of dream, constant dreaming, darkvision 60 ft., listener for the song, low-light vision, whaletongue
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +5
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Listen +5, Lucid Dreaming +10, Spot +5, Swim +8
Feats: Weapon FinesseB, Dodge, Psionic Dodge, Psionic Fist
Environment: Any Aquatic or Plane of Dreams
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pod (1-6 Eua-ia and 1-3 orcas and/or 1 baleen or cachalot whale)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Good
Advancement: 9-14 HD (Large), 15-20 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: +3 (cohort)

The Plane of Dreams is said to be the most easily shaped of all the planes. Even something as minor as a daydream causes ripples to spread throughout the plane. Though daydreams tend to be fleeting, and do not last long, some find a way to live on. Unconsciously channeled by through the mysterious Whale Dream, these daydreams can be drawn into reality, given form and function. As it is the whales drawing them into reality, they take on the form of the whales’ lesser cousins–dolphins. The Eua-ia, as they are called, resembled shining, pearlescent dolphins with a long, almost serpentine tail clad in scales of every color. Naturally playful and inquisitive, Eua-ia roam the seas aimlessly, often in the company of whales, constantly dreaming. While they lack speech, Eua-ia can communicate with those tied to the Whale Dream by means of song.

Calling of the Dreamers (Ps)
Once per hour as a standard action, an Eua-ia may sing, calling for help. In 1d10 rounds, either another Eua-ia or an orca whale arrives to aid the Eua-ia. The Eua-ia has no control over the creature it calls, but the creature is always helpful towards the Eua-ia, and fights for as long as needed before departing.

Stuff of Whimsy (Ps)
As a standard action, an Eua-ia may project a 30 ft. cone of rainbow light, energy drawn from the Plane of Dreams. All creatures caught in the cone must make a DC 17 Will save or be charmed for 4d6 hours, taking on some of the inherent good nature of the Eua-ia and its dolphin cousins. In addition, all effects based on negative emotions cleansed from it. Effects such as a barbarian’s rage, fear effects, confusion effects, and moral-based penalties, such as from the crushing despair spell, are all immediately ended. A Eua-ia must wait 1d4 rounds before it can use this ability again. The save is Cha based.

Born of Dream (Ex):
As a being of dream, an Eua-ia appears hazy and out of focus, such that all melee and ranged attacks are assessed a 20-percent miss chance. This 20-percent miss chance is not the same as concealment.

Constant Dreaming (Ex)
An Eua-ia constantly exists in a dream-like state. Once per minute, it can make a Lucid Dreaming check in place of a Concentration check or Will save.

Listener For the Song (Ex):
An Eua-ia can feel the vibrations of whale song out to 1000 feet. This range increases to several miles if underwater.

Whaletongue (Su)
A Eua-ia can communicate with any creature possessing a tie to the Whale Dream, such as a whale, a seadreamt creature, or a both-th-th-in, through use of song.

Skills
An Eua-ia has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-21, 12:59 AM
:o OMG! Your creature, D1... It's so... so... harmless and not creepy in any way. What's up with that?

Fizban
2006-09-21, 02:10 AM
Hehe, never gets old seeing people ask that question.

Oh fine, I'll comment.
I like the stuff of whimsy and constant dreaming abilities, really helps give it that dreamy feel.

Side note: I'm thinking the plane of dreams is my second favorite plane, right after time.

The Demented One
2006-09-21, 07:15 AM
:o OMG! Your creature, D1... It's so... so... harmless and not creepy in any way. What's up with that?
Because the position of the baddest mother****er in the Whale Dream has already been taken up by the both-th-th-in, which ought to be getting a nuclear sidecar any day now. Anyway, what says I can't make a fun and harmless creature every now and then?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-21, 04:52 PM
My personal experience, that's what.

Anyway, I think I may have finally begun the healing process from your wombmother after seeing such goodness come from you. I'm not sure, though, how this is a CR 6. It's got AC 20, signle attack for 1d6+4 damage, though that does get up to 3d6+4 with psionic fist... Hrm, tough call. I'd actually put it between a CR 4 and a CR5, though I'm horrible at judging that. Also, if the Eua-ia calls a new creature, that creature adds to the challenge rating for the encounter, right?

The Demented One
2006-09-21, 06:01 PM
My personal experience, that's what.

Anyway, I think I may have finally begun the healing process from your wombmother after seeing such goodness come from you. I'm not sure, though, how this is a CR 6. It's got AC 20, signle attack for 1d6+4 damage, though that does get up to 3d6+4 with psionic fist... Hrm, tough call. I'd actually put it between a CR 4 and a CR5, though I'm horrible at judging that. Also, if the Eua-ia calls a new creature, that creature adds to the challenge rating for the encounter, right?
Summoned creatures don't add to the CR, which is why I made this a CR 6 rather than 5.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-21, 09:03 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Reinforcements always make a fight far tougher than it would otherwise be.