PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Villain IX! (3.X) [Voting Closed, Villain Complete!]

Pages : [1] 2 3

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:12 AM
The time has come for the ninth iteration of my neverending poll! This contest aims to create a D&D villain, complete with fluff! Please bold your vote.

The resultant villain, Tsartajius, has been posted.

Contests that have gone before (or are currently running):
Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #1 by Zeta Kai
Result: the Gatekeeper

Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #2 by Zeta Kai
Result: the Deus ex Machina

Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #3 by Zeta Kai
Result: the Ectoplasmic Swarm

Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #4 by Zeta Kai
Result: the Polymental

Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #5 by Zeta Kai
Result: the Spirit Dragon

Vote Up a Monster (3.X) #6 by Zeta Kai
Result: Pending

Vote Up a Monster (4E) #1 by Shadow_Elf
Result: the Songbird Spirit

Vote Up a Monster (4E) #2 by Shadow_Elf
Result: the Pandora's Paradox

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #1 by afroakuma
Result: the Maiden’s Weeping/Swain of Varrone

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #2 by afroakuma
Result: the Caillteanas

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #3 by afroakuma
Result: Dandag the Quiet

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #4 by afroakuma
Result: the Augmoha

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #5 by afroakuma
Result: the Silver Hellstar

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #6 by afroakuma
Result: Prince Meridius

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #7 by afroakuma
Result: the Thief King's Palace

Vote Up a Villain (3.X) #8 by afroakuma
Result: the Omenwrath

Vote Up A Campaign Setting by Zeta Kai, Shadow_Elf and afroakuma (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96183)
Result: Pending

Several others that I am aware are not here, but which I am not at the moment inclined to run around finding.

Currently Voting On: Voting Closed, Villain Complete

1. Type: Monstrous Humanoid

{table=head]Type|Votes
Aberration|1
Animal|-------
Construct|
Dragon|
Elemental|7
Fey|
Giant|
Humanoid|
Magical Beast|3
Monstrous Humanoid|17
Ooze|
Outsider|1
Plant|
Undead|
Vermin|
[/table]

2. Race/Species: Unique (Horrific)
Vote for any Monstrous Humanoid monster from any 3.X WotC source. The current table contains only monstrous humanoids from the Monster Manual. If you vote for a creature in another source, please list that source with your vote.

{table=head]Monstrous Humanoid Race|Votes
Annis|
Centaur|
Derro|
Doppelganger|1
Gargoyle|1
Green Hag|
Grimlock|1
Harpy|1
Kuo-Toa|
Medusa|2
Minotaur|5
Sahuagin|
Sea Hag|
Unique (Degenerate)|
Unique (Facade)|5
Unique (Horrific)|11
Unique (Tauric)|1
Unique (Zoomorphic)|2
Yuan-Ti Abomination|3
Yuan-Ti Halfblood|
Yuan-Ti Pureblood|[/table]

2b. Class: None
You may vote for other classes, but please bear in mind that certain classes have been disallowed. Non-core classes are italicized.

{table=head]Class|Votes|Class|Votes
Artificier||Ninja (new)|
Barbarian||Paladin|
Bard||Psion|
Beguiler|2|Psychic Warrior|
Cleric|2|Ranger|
Crusader||Rogue|
Druid||Samurai (new)|
Duskblade||Scout|
Favored Soul|6|Sorcerer|1
Fighter||Swordsage|
Healer||Warblade|
Hexblade|1|Warlock|6
Matador (new)|4|Wilder|
Marshal|1|Wizard|
Monk||None|7
[/table]

3. CR: 12

{table=head]CR|Votes
1|
2|
3|
4|
5|
6|1
7|5
8|
9|6
10|1
11|
12|9
13|
14|
15|
16|
17|
18|
19|
20|
[/table]

4. Alignment: Lawful Neutral

{table=head]Alignment|Votes|Alignment|Votes|Alignment|Votes
Lawful Good||Neutral Good|1|Chaotic Good|1
Lawful Neutral|9|Neutral|4|Chaotic Neutral|
Lawful Evil|4|Neutral Evil|1|Chaotic Evil|5
[/table]

5. Primary Motivation: Depression

{table=head]Motivation|Votes
Ambition|
Anarchy|2
Arrogance|3
Curiosity|5
Depression|6
Entertainment|
Envy|1
Greater good|2
Greed|
Hunger|
Insanity|
Justice|1
Logic|3
Love|1
Malevolence|
Order|
Punch-clock villainy|3
Rage|
Revenge|3
Selfishness|
Self-loathing|
Spite|2
Survival|
[/table]

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:14 AM
By the way, it has been suggested (by me) that Elemental, Magical Beast or Monstrous Humanoid might be really great choices for Type this time around... :smallwink:

Limos
2009-02-15, 12:15 AM
Monstrous Humanoid!!!

I must have it!

Thane of Fife
2009-02-15, 12:21 AM
Wow. You just don't let up.

And, my apologies, but I'm going to continue voting Outsider.

Username
2009-02-15, 12:33 AM
Elemental, those are always fun. Remember, we're not strictly restricted to the classical elements as far as elementals are concerned!

Zeta Kai
2009-02-15, 12:35 AM
Animal Monstrous Humanoid.

Juhn
2009-02-15, 12:57 AM
Well, afro, since you're determined to bend the vote to your will this time around I'll go with Monstrous Humanoid. Let's see us a minotaur or something.

Hopefully I'll get my Nightwalker for VUAV X.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-02-15, 02:54 AM
Monstrous Humanoid

Adumbration
2009-02-15, 03:00 AM
Magical Beast.

Mercenary Pen
2009-02-15, 03:04 AM
Elemental, for that is the only path to awesome.

UnChosenOne
2009-02-15, 03:22 AM
Monstrous Humanoid.

The Tygre
2009-02-15, 03:37 AM
Animal.

I kid. Elemental.

Atelm
2009-02-15, 05:25 AM
Monstrous Humanoid, it, like magical beast, constains so many excellent potential candidates for a villain.

Lord Mancow
2009-02-15, 05:45 AM
Let's have a Magical beast.

Rockbird
2009-02-15, 05:50 AM
Monstrous Humanoid

arguskos
2009-02-15, 06:57 AM
Elemental!!! We needs moar of them!! I want to see a Time Elemental in 3.5 that doesn't fail really badly!

InsiderTrading
2009-02-15, 07:16 AM
Elemental! I think it's time we get something that matches up with Zeta's Polymental.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-15, 07:56 AM
Monstrous Humanoid. We haven't had class levels in awhile.

Vonotar
2009-02-15, 08:12 AM
Monstrous Humanoid sounds like a good idea.

lesser_minion
2009-02-15, 08:26 AM
Monstrous Humanoid, easily. Mainly because I still want a Bio-mage or a Harrowed villain.

vegetalss4
2009-02-15, 08:28 AM
Monstrous Humanoid the option that can have (a) class

Frog Dragon
2009-02-15, 09:05 AM
Monstrous Humanoid

Saint Nil
2009-02-15, 09:13 AM
Elemental Please.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 09:41 AM
Well, it seems people are generally supportive of that idea that was had by someone who was probably me. :smalltongue:

Debihuman
2009-02-15, 09:55 AM
You know, I think I'll listen to that little voice in my ear and vote for Monstrous Humanoid.

Debby

DracoDei
2009-02-15, 10:14 AM
Monstrous Humanoid

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 10:18 AM
You know, I think I'll listen to that little voice in my ear and vote for Monstrous Humanoid.

Debby

I'm in your ear? :smalleek:

evil-frosty
2009-02-15, 10:22 AM
well it looks like my vote doesnt matter now but here is it anyway, Monstrous Humanoid looks like we are denying Juhn his nightwalker once again

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 10:40 AM
The number of hoops he'd have to jump through to get a nightwalker is pretty high at any rate.

Pronounceable
2009-02-15, 10:55 AM
Alas, the bandwagon has run over the magical beast. Though I am cool with monstrous humanoids.

I wonder if someone (who may or may not be Afro) has an idea about the fluff as well. And if there is such a thing, maybe a not voted up critter be posted to leave vote up threads unskewed...(Disclaimer: This is an attempt to extract even more stuff out of Afro, any pretense of concern over democracy is merely a farce designed to garner sympathy.)

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 11:53 AM
I actually loved the last villain. See my post there. So: Animal!

Then again, I also like the idea of a Monstrous Humanoid. A lot.

Then again, I REALLY want an Elemental villain. VUAV X: Elemental you shall be.

Sorry Juhn!

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:15 PM
I wonder if someone (who may or may not be Afro) has an idea about the fluff as well. And if there is such a thing, maybe a not voted up critter be posted to leave vote up threads unskewed...(Disclaimer: This is an attempt to extract even more stuff out of Afro, any pretense of concern over democracy is merely a farce designed to garner sympathy.)

Yes, because that's worked so well in the past. It's not like I've prepared three upgrades for a single villain, or pulled a Rita Repulsa on a hideous vermin, or crafted upwards of six new monsters, two additional villains and an entire dungeon as well as a rough campaign outline as bonus features. I would never do anything like that. :smallwink:

I was actually thinking of something along these lines: I still have most of my prep notes from the previous villains, and I'd be willing to release them.

Then again, I REALLY want an Elemental villain. VUAV X: Elemental you shall be!

:smallamused: We'll see about that. I has a flavor awesome plan.

watsyurname529
2009-02-15, 12:20 PM
Hmm... Does it really matter what my vote is seeing Monterous's huge lead?

I'll go with Monsterous Humanoid anyway just to get to the next round quicker.

Juhn
2009-02-15, 12:21 PM
The number of hoops he'd have to jump through to get a nightwalker is pretty high at any rate.

For this vote? Absolutely. For next vote? We'll see, unless you decide to continue blatantly tampering with democracy into next round. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:27 PM
I meant for any vote. First you have to get them to agree on a "cliché" type, then you have to surmount the allure of the Uniques, then the allure of the write-ins, and lastly get them to rally behind your specific pick of one creature from one of the most well-represented types in the Monster Manual.

Hoops galore!

And wait until you see next round, anyway. Remember what happened on the last round divisible by five?

puppyavenger
2009-02-15, 12:38 PM
monstrous humanoid.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 12:43 PM
And wait until you see next round, anyway. Remember what happened on the last round divisible by five?

*Swoons* YEERRRSS!

I was actually thinking of something along these lines: I still have most of my prep notes from the previous villains, and I'd be willing to release them.

That... would be awesome.

:smallamused: We'll see about that. I has a flavor awesome plan.

:smallamused:

This?

The time has come for the TENTH iteration of my neverending poll! This contest aims to create a D&D villain, complete with fluff! Please bold your vote. I haz an awesome plan.

Contests that have gone before (or are currently running): Honestly, they pale in comparison to this.

{table=head]Type|Votes
POWER|
[/table]

2. Race/Species:

{table=head]Type|Votes
POWER|
[/table]

2b. Class:

You may not vote for other classes.

{table=head]Class|Votes
POWER|
[/table]

3. CR:

{table=head]CR|Votes
50,000|
POWER|
[/table]

4. Alignment:

{table=head]Alignment|Votes
POWER|
[/table]

5. Primary Motivation:

{table=head]Motivation|Votes
POWER|
Awesomeness (Pure, 1337 H4x)|
Afroakuma|
[/table]

Juhn
2009-02-15, 12:45 PM
I meant for any vote. First you have to get them to agree on a "cliché" typeI saw quite a few votes for Undead in that last one, and chances are those could carry over into the next vote that doesn't come with "suggestions".
then you have to surmount the allure of the Uniques, then the allure of the write-ins, and lastly get them to rally behind your specific pick of one creature from one of the most well-represented types in the Monster Manual.

Nightwalkers are pretty unique as far as undead go. When was the last time you saw one of those used?

Oh... oh my. That may not bode well, or that may bode awesomely. Probably the latter.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 12:54 PM
Of course this is fairly off-topic (READ: utterly off-topic), but as I posted my impression of VUAV 10, :smallbiggrin:, I thought of something. What type is Afro? Is he a Humanoid, as he leads us to believe? Or is he an Outsider (Deity)? A Construct? (Witness his VUAx schedule...) Is he Undead? (Does he sleep?) [/random, sickness-induced rambling]

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:56 PM
I saw quite a few votes for Undead in that last one, and chances are those could carry over into the next vote that doesn't come with "suggestions".

I was actually trying for reverse psych. Guess it doesn't carry well in a forum setting. :smalltongue:

Nightwalkers are pretty unique as far as undead go. When was the last time you saw one of those used?

I was referring specifically to "Unique (thingy), Unique (something worse)" etc. as options.

Oh... oh my. That may not bode well, or that may bode awesomely. Probably the latter.

How could it not bode well?

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 12:59 PM
Of course this is fairly off-topic (READ: utterly off-topic), but as I posted my impression of VUAV 10, :smallbiggrin:, I thought of something. What type is Afro?

Neither Plant nor Animal, thankfully.

A Construct? (Witness his VUAx schedule...) Is he Undead? (Does he sleep?)

Oddly, I've gotten this question before (re: whether or not I sleep.) While I have in the past implied when I am off to bed, some of my posting times would seem to call those implications to question.

Maybe I don't sleep. Maybe... I wait. /Chuck Norris joke

Juhn
2009-02-15, 01:05 PM
I was actually trying for reverse psych. Guess it doesn't carry well in a forum setting. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I've found that sarcasm tends to require emoticons. Hopefully you didn't interpret that last post of mine to be as derisive as it might have come off as.

I was referring specifically to "Unique (thingy), Unique (something worse)" etc. as options.

Yeah, I figured. I was just trying to point out that, with the Undead type, there are so many monsters that see little enough use as to effectively be new and unique as villains.

How could it not bode well?

I'm not sure, really. It's mostly a question of usability: for example, if you do the "Epic" thing again, I dunno how I'd work in a CR 30 Nightwalker.

lesser_minion
2009-02-15, 01:32 PM
Of course this is fairly off-topic (READ: utterly off-topic), but as I posted my impression of VUAV 10, :smallbiggrin:, I thought of something. What type is Afro? Is he a Humanoid, as he leads us to believe? Or is he an Outsider (Deity)? A Construct? (Witness his VUAx schedule...) Is he Undead? (Does he sleep?) [/random, sickness-induced rambling]

Erm... that is actually potentially entirely mundane. Epic level humanoid with the POWER!? You don't have to be some abomination of the darkness in order to go without sleeping.

Owrtho
2009-02-15, 02:36 PM
I vote Aberration.
The only creature type that any setting needs
Owrtho

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 09:40 PM
:sigh:

Hallo.

Just, checking in. Being random. Turnover--soon? Yay. Case you didn't notice, BUMP.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 09:43 PM
Two hours and 17 minutes.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 09:48 PM
Two hours and 17 minutes.

:smalleek: You watch your thread... closely!

I am disappointed that you do not count the seconds. I expected better.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 09:53 PM
:smalleek: You watch your thread... closely!

Of course. :smallamused:

I am disappointed that you do not count the seconds. I expected better.

It was 0 seconds at the time I posted. I felt it unnecessary to include it.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 10:27 PM
It was 0 seconds at the time I posted. I felt it unnecessary to include it.

You... you didn't wait to click 'Submit Reply' until it had reached 0 exactly, did you? As in, posted the current minute and 0 seconds, and then posted at that second? Of course you did. I would've.

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 10:37 PM
I went one second prior and added the processing time.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-15, 10:55 PM
Elemental, though it's a losing battle. =p

We just had an animal, I'd rather see something more different before we drift back to the magical beast, though I'll be very interested to see what afro does with that rich-of-potential type.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 11:03 PM
I went one second prior and added the processing time.

:smalleek: *Gasp* Inconceivable!

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 11:13 PM
I am very much looking forward to next round now.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-15, 11:36 PM
I am very much looking forward to next round now.

You probably could have just skipped this one, really. Maybe Vote Up a Villain works in base nine.

It's not like the number nine ever did anything for anyone, anyway.
Other than be the number of letters in your screen name.
Looking over the types, it intrigues me that Monstrous Humanoids don't have good Fortitude saves. Why do you think that is?

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 11:47 PM
Because I like poisoning them.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 11:50 PM
May we turnover now? You'd need 10 votes to overturn the leader... Motion for early turnover?

afroakuma
2009-02-15, 11:53 PM
Technically no, since I have to go prep the table; and this is the stage that actually requires creative input from me. Wait your seven minutes. You'll survive.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 11:53 PM
Technically no, since I have to go prep the table; and this is the stage that actually requires creative input from me. Wait your seven minutes. You'll survive.

I... will... survive.

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 12:01 AM
Alright, the votes are in, and the type is Monstrous Humanoid!

Now, this anthropomorphic adversary needs its Race selected!

Begin!

Oh, just to sort things out for the Uniques:

Degenerates are discernably bestial in behaviors or comportment, seemingly warped into a lesser thing from a true humanoid race. People who vote Animal Grimlocks are Degenerates.

Facades can outwardly pass for some other humanoid race, usually due to some special ability. Dopplegangers are Facades.

Horrifics have an appearance that is quantifiably unnatural, in such a way as to inspire dread. Medusas are Horrifics.

Taurics fuse a humanoid torso with the body of a beast. Centaurs are Taurics.

Zoomorphics blend humanoid and animal characteristics strongly. Minotaurs are Zoomorphics.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 12:01 AM
Doppelganger. Because that would make an awesome villain.

EDIT: Although normally I love Uniques, I'd like to point out that a Doppelganger is just as flexible as a unique... for obvious reasons.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-16, 12:03 AM
A doppleganger could be neat, but I've always really liked Grimlocks.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 12:06 AM
A doppleganger could be neat, but I've always really liked Grimlocks.

Grimlocks are indeed really cool, but I didn't vote for them because I feel that usually anything but uniques is too constraining.

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 12:07 AM
http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/thumb/c/c5/Doppelganger442px.jpg/440px-Doppelganger442px.jpg
Yes, I do make an awesome villain.

However, read my dissertation on the Uniques before you make up your mind.

MageSparrowhawk
2009-02-16, 12:09 AM
I say Unique (Horrific), but with the tacked on request/requirement that it have a (moderate to very) high Cha.

Limos
2009-02-16, 12:16 AM
Yuan-ti Abomination

I would go with Anathema if it was an option. Because Yuan-Ti Anathemas are super sweet.

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 12:17 AM
So make it an option.

It is from a WotC source.

Lay down a formal vote, and I'll add it.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-16, 12:29 AM
There's so many good choices here. Can I just vote Unique (Any)? =p

Since I assume the answer's no, I'll cast for Unique: Zoomorphic, but I may change my mind.

blackspeeker
2009-02-16, 12:32 AM
Unique degenerates sounded compelling.

Falconer
2009-02-16, 12:32 AM
I propose a good ol' fashion Minotaur.

C'mon, don't tell me that this...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG189a.jpg

wouldn't make an awesome villain.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-16, 12:33 AM
Unique: Facade

InsiderTrading
2009-02-16, 01:35 AM
Unique (Horrific). Go wild, Afro.

Juhn
2009-02-16, 01:37 AM
Strangely enough, by the definition posted Minotaurs don't actually count as taurics, which you noted. Considering the "taur" suffix is in Minotaur, I find this odd. I'll vote for them anyway.

UnChosenOne
2009-02-16, 01:43 AM
Unique (Horrific).

Rockbird
2009-02-16, 01:50 AM
Unique (Horrific)

Pronounceable
2009-02-16, 02:09 AM
Medusa would be nice. Though I wonder why they, and we can say it for unique(horrific) as well, aren't abominations...

The Mentalist
2009-02-16, 02:19 AM
Unique (Horrific) I'm looking for good horror villains, besides they're always fun.

Lord Mancow
2009-02-16, 02:25 AM
Unique (Tauric) though its looking like a bit of a lost cause.

Atelm
2009-02-16, 02:36 AM
Medusa, my latest Nethack character just slashed her to pieces. The woman with a gaze of ston(e/ing) would make an awesome villain in Afro's hands, I'm sure. :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2009-02-16, 03:00 AM
Actually, I rather like Harpy.

Debby

P.S. not really in my ear...just figuratively speaking.

vegetalss4
2009-02-16, 03:50 AM
Yuan-ti Abomination cause they rule.

arguskos
2009-02-16, 04:15 AM
Hmm, so Monstrous Humanoid won did it? That's cool, that's cool. I think that a Minotaur would make an awesome villain, by the way, as long as we give him a good twist on the whole "hurrhurrhurrgoodguyfalldown" mentality of most Minotaurs. :smallwink:

lesser_minion
2009-02-16, 06:10 AM
Unique (Facade) - I mean, what else? Although that implies a sinister malice that may be difficult to convey with the classes I want to see on this thing.

Feeling up to a challenge? (assuming that everyone votes in my favour)

Mercenary Pen
2009-02-16, 08:16 AM
I'm not certain that a properly villainous gargoyle has ever been done... I'm sure it would be worth seeing.

Vonotar
2009-02-16, 09:35 AM
So many interesting options to choose from :smalleek:
Make mine a Yuan-Ti Abomination please.

Zeta Kai
2009-02-16, 09:35 AM
Unique (Horrific).

The Tygre
2009-02-16, 10:19 AM
Well, can't think of any reason to swim against the stream as of now.

Unique (Horrific).

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 11:02 AM
Still a pretty weak stream. The votes are all over the place.

watsyurname529
2009-02-16, 11:16 AM
I'm going to have to say Unique (Horrific) because that just sounds like awesomeness already.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 12:07 PM
-1 Doppelganger
+1 Unique (Facade)

How can you guys not vote Facade? They can be any appearance... even HORRIFIC muwhahaha. *twirls around* But, I

LucyHarris
2009-02-16, 12:27 PM
*Hops into thread*

I vote Minotaur.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-16, 12:38 PM
I'm not certain that a properly villainous gargoyle has ever been done... I'm sure it would be worth seeing.

Check out Libris Mortis.

I will again - it seems I do this fairly often, don't it? - state that voting non-unique is a waste of Afro's power. Do not waste the power, people.

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 12:42 PM
I will again - it seems I do this fairly often, don't it?

Indeed it does. It strikes me as ironic that you, the greatest cheerleader for Uniques, have also yearned for a return of class levels, which are the enemy of Uniques.

Also, where's the bold? And the caps?

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-16, 12:48 PM
I felt that the POWER would not wish to have its full majesty revealed while the discussion was related to it being wasted.

And class levels are NOT the bane of unique villains. They're the bane of racial hit die, and quite frankly, I dislike racial hit die to begin with. Try taking a peek at my homebrews for races with minimal LAs that are still, to me at least, fairly unique.

And I do believe you should bring back class levels and add a few homebrew classes - feel free to use any of mine if you're so inclined.

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 12:53 PM
I felt that the POWER would not wish to have its full majesty revealed while the discussion was related to it being wasted.

True enough. The POWER concurs.

And class levels are NOT the bane of unique villains. They're the bane of racial hit die, and quite frankly, I dislike racial hit die to begin with.

No, I meant they were the bane of Unique species, since it means I have to scale down their top-level Unique powers to conform with CR if de-leveled.

And I do believe you should bring back class levels and add a few homebrew classes - feel free to use any of mine if you're so inclined.

I do plan to; I think you lampshaded that one when I mentioned Monstrous Humanoid. I think by now it's easy to guess what factors into whether there are class levels or not.

As for homebrew classes, three of my own are already up there, and one has even been used. I won't add anyone else's to the permanent table, but as the rule explains, "You may vote for other classes, but bear in mind that certain classes have been disallowed." So it's case by case. If someone wants to vote for one of yours, I'll be glad to look it over.

puppyavenger
2009-02-16, 12:56 PM
unique horrific

Alteran
2009-02-16, 12:58 PM
Let's see a doppelganger.

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 12:59 PM
http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/thumb/c/c5/Doppelganger442px.jpg/440px-Doppelganger442px.jpg
Here I am!

lesser_minion
2009-02-16, 01:17 PM
As for homebrew classes, three of my own are already up there, and one has even been used. I won't add anyone else's to the permanent table, but as the rule explains, "You may vote for other classes, but bear in mind that certain classes have been disallowed." So it's case by case. If someone wants to vote for one of yours, I'll be glad to look it over.

I mentioned last round that I wouldn't mind seeing a Harrowed villain if we got class levels this time. Would you accept that as an option for the class vote?

Juhn
2009-02-16, 01:44 PM
voting non-unique is a waste of Afro's power.

*cough*Dandag the Quiet*cough*

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 02:13 PM
*cough*Dandag the Quiet*cough*

Lord Gareth doesn't believe in Dandag.

lesser_minion: Part of the determining factor on class selection is race selection. It's a good class, and I can see the dramatic possibilities, but I'm a bit leery about where the line would fall on which one is the actual villain. That said, when the vote comes around, try it and I'll see how my opinion lies then.

Juhn
2009-02-16, 02:52 PM
Lord Gareth doesn't believe in Dandag.

Dandag was awesome, and pretty much the reason why I'm convinced a Nightwalker could work.

:/

Owrtho
2009-02-16, 02:57 PM
Unique (Facade), so it can blend in among the people as it hunts them.

Owrtho

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 03:22 PM
Just to clarify, I switched my vote from Doppelganger to Facade because I wanted something with Doppelganger abilities that was new, unique, and more awesome. I was going to vote for Horrific but I thought the Doppelganger could transform into it.

Ovaltine Patrol
2009-02-16, 03:24 PM
Unique (Zoomorphic), I'm hoping for something that would fit in well with Minotaurs, Yak Folk, and Goat Folk.

thegurullamen
2009-02-16, 05:49 PM
Afro I'm insulted; I lose internet access for three days and you don't postpone these threads? So disappointed in you.

Unique (Horror) bandwagon!

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 05:51 PM
Guru I'm insulted; you'd lose Internet access for three days even though I'd had a villain almost done? For shame.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 05:54 PM
Afro I'm insulted, you've forgotten about my incredibly witty and riveting post on page two. Specifically part two. The answer to "I will post my old plans."

*Swoons* YEERRRSS!

That... would be awesome.

:smallamused:

This?

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 05:56 PM
Oh, I see. You want those.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 05:57 PM
Whenever we vote for Doppelganger, Afro posts a special picture. Afro... do you want that to win? Hmm... Dun dun dun.

BTW, Afro, I have an idea for a better race voting system... I think... that will... I think... get results that more people support.

Juhn
2009-02-16, 05:59 PM
Unique (Facade), so it can blend in among the people as it hunts them.

Owrtho

Didn't Dandag effectively do this already?

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 06:04 PM
Oh, I see. You want those.

:smallconfused: --> :smallmad: --> :smallfurious: -->

:smallsigh:

But... wait... :smalleek:

Afro, Afro. :smallannoyed: --> :smalltongue: --> :smallbiggrin:

@Juhn: However good an Ogre's blending abilities are, they do NOT compare with a Unique Doppelganger's villainous capacity. Even Afro wants them to win! (Don't talk, Afro. You know you do.)

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 06:16 PM
Whenever we vote for Doppelganger, Afro posts a special picture. Afro... do you want that to win? Hmm... Dun dun dun.

Not necessarily. Alteran specifically said "I want to see a Doppelganger" so I posted him a Doppelganger. The Doppelganger, to be specific.

BTW, Afro, I have an idea for a better race voting system... I think... that will... I think... get results that more people support.

PM it to me.

Also, I think you wanted this:

Notes from Vote Up A Villain I: The Maiden's Weeping
Plant's the clear leader. Should offer new homebrew kinds too; the list in the MM is pretty short. Can't go through other books; don't have time.

Plant

Okay, so they'd better not go for Violet Fungus or Shrieker, no screaming mushrooms.

What kinds of plant are there?

• Flowers
• Trees
• Molds (2e throwback? could be fun)
• Mushrooms
• Vines
• ...grains? Crops? What would I even call that?

Flowers in. No doubt.
Trees in. Treants make that obvious.
Molds... same as mushrooms, puffballs etc. I guess they're all fungus anyway, so
Vines, I think would they roll into another "class?"

Unique homebrew plants can be Floral, Fungal or Arboreal, then. And if they want another plant, they can do a write in.

I think no class vote; I don't feel like getting into that.

Flower. Something scary. It's got to posess people. What about fire?

Could do immunity.

Better idea: main bloom, like a giant chronolily or something, hidden on the Ethereal plane. Sends shoots into the Prime.

Or seeds, could launch a seed into someone. I like the big flower better.

Rafflesia? Giant rafflesia or lily. Rafflesia is just damn creepy, though, so I think that, maybe.

Hmm, only middling CR either way. What if it were a template monster?

It has to be smart, to be choosy. It needs resources and placement, if it's going to work.

Good is close... would a rose be too obvious? A giant rose of peace and order, preseving using a poison pollen spread? Or no, taking over like a yellow musk creeper, or having infesting vines? Zerg Queen thing, going. Thorn whips.

If it's evil... perfect. Like a corruption. I'm still thinking individual takeover instead of masse, though. Picture a moody swain with a rose curled over his ear, thorny vines creeping from holes in his palms... I like it. Better weapon grip, vine whips, and just creepy when he gets revealed. Maybe a soul-stealer. Give a flower, it steals your soul. Vampire? No.

Arcadian rose, maybe if good wins. Eventually takes the area into one of the most axiomatic areas

Neutral Evil! YES! Okay, so let's look at the vine whips. The flower should go over one ear, so that it can be noticeable. Other physical changes... natural armor.

Love... obvious. It steals souls. Through love. It is devoted to love, and Sailor Moon bing bang there we go. Engenders obsession, wasting sickness, but it needs to actually care about the love. Takes on human form? Maybe no go back to the first idea. Takes over a mortal body for the seduction. It's going to need a disguise.

I want it to spread itself. Maiden's lament. Maiden's despair. Like a flower with little teardrops on it. Dew? Markings I think are better. Maybe recolor for the inert blooms in its wake? Leaves a trail.

PCV. Love it. Different kind of flower necessary, though. Okay. Orchid tulip poppy peony pansy sunflower I like sunflower.

Hold this sunflower for me while I stream of consciousness some more

black-eyed susan iris galliardia belladonna there it is

Nightshade. A poisonous, seductive assassin, summoned by nymphs and druids. Class levels? Could do, but maybe only a couple of rogue, I only have CR 13 to use. Needs to be vastly different from Poison Ivy, blasty and bebother. Young, dark, sensuous, sleep-inducing balls of flame and ashes this is tough. Blast you person who invented Poison Ivy.

Robert Kanigher, Sheldon Moldoff, you both die now.

Alright, needs to be a more active character. Roguelike. Stealthy. Creeps into the bedchamber with a poison kiss ready. No plant control, extremely poisonous. Remember from Ninja to have variant poisoning abilities; higher DC to make her a threat. Extrude claws? Still like the thorn whips; retractable. Lose the name. In a big way.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 06:37 PM
PM it to me.

Meh. Abridged version: I find that with so many race options, and many wanting a write-in, people can be dissatisfied with the result because of vote splitting. Most options are similar: indeed, in your 'Unique' options you seem to sum up the entire spectrum of a Type.

I propose a system where in some way we first vote for 'type'. Placeholder name, not the Type which we already voted for, but for Magical Beast the vote would be Zoomorphic, Facade, Tauric, Horrific, etc; in the Animal vote it would have been Avian, Reptile, Digitigrade, etc.

When we decided that, we could move on to the subset. Minotaur would be Zoomorphic in this vote, Grimlock Horrific, Doppelganger Facade. At the bottom, you could put in a Unique option, or perhaps one or two slightly different unique options. If Degenerate were voted in, (Degenerates are discernably bestial in behaviors or comportment, seemingly warped into a lesser thing from a true humanoid race. People who vote Animal and Grimlocks are Degenerates.) then for example we could have Grimlocks, People Who Vote Animal, Medusa?, Other Standard, Unique (Once Normal), and Unique (Innate).

...my example sucked.

I think this would create less vote-splitting. Canada knows vote-splitting! :smallsmile:

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 06:38 PM
:smalleek: Afro's thought processes?!

MOAR!!!

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 06:40 PM
Le flaw (see, I speak French!) is that I would have to organize monsters by appropriate classification, censor write-ins based on whether or not I felt they fit the descriptor and be debated endlessly and heavily about why monster X is/is not in-spectrum.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 06:47 PM
Le flaw (see, I speak French!) is that I would have to organize monsters by appropriate classification, censor write-ins based on whether or not I felt they fit the descriptor and be debated endlessly and heavily about why monster X is/is not in-spectrum.

Votre français, c'a mad skills.

I suppose. I considered this, and I suppose it all comes down, in the end, to a cost/benefit analysis. Like everything. :smallsigh:

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 06:52 PM
Twelve debates on every race vote is not a simplification, sadly.

What did you think of the development notes?

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 06:57 PM
Twelve debates on every race vote is not a simplification, sadly.
*Preaches* There is no perfect solution...

What did you think of the development notes?

:smalleek: Afro's thought processes?!

MOAR!!!

It was a very interesting read. It was very cool to tap into your thought process through the VUAx like that. However, as I read along my main thought became stronger and stronger: "More! More!"

I can't wait until #4. That's when I got to them.
...er. You are releasing them all, right? Right?

MammonAzrael
2009-02-16, 07:17 PM
Hmm, while it looks like a unique Horrific will win, I'm gonna have to go with minotaur.

blackspeeker
2009-02-16, 07:18 PM
I think I'll be changing my vote from unique degenerate to unique facade

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-16, 07:45 PM
Gogo facade! YOU CAN DO IT!

And Afro, you expressed some concern as to which being would be the villain with a Harrowed villain; that's actually sorta the point. A Harrowed villain is meant to be very morally awkward for the players to deal with, especially considering that they're going to reincarnate when slain (this is assuming the players KNOW THAT, of course)

Saint Nil
2009-02-16, 07:47 PM
Unique(Horrifc)

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 07:50 PM
Unique(Horrifc)

*cries*

Afro? May I haz one free homebrew? Please?

LucyHarris
2009-02-16, 08:36 PM
Oh, poo. C'mon, folks, where's the minotaur love? Not that, you pervs.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-16, 08:41 PM
It's as I suspected: nobody else likes grimlocks. Sigh.

But don't worry, you cute little xenophobic horrors, you, in the campaign I'm running, you'll show the surfacers the folly of ignoring you! The wrath of the grimlocks is as blind as the purest of love!

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 08:57 PM
It's as I suspected: nobody else likes grimlocks. Sigh.

But don't worry, you cute little xenophobic horrors, you, in the campaign I'm running, you'll show the surfacers the folly of ignoring you! The wrath of the grimlocks is as blind as the purest of love!

They want... uniques.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-16, 08:59 PM
Oh, poo. C'mon, folks, where's the minotaur love? Not that, you pervs.

We want unique monsters. If you want a minotaur villain then, in my humble opinion, you should make it your own damn self. Afro's POWER is for homebrewing.

(And Dandag, while nifty, was not a use of the POWER, but rather a combination of existing elements with a nifty backstory.)

LucyHarris
2009-02-16, 09:01 PM
Ah, but Gareth, the reason why I participate in these things is because I don't have the time for such craftiness. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 09:02 PM
Though I did homebrew the class he used, which...

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-16, 09:06 PM
...had the POWER of V-V-V-V-Void PALM!

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 09:12 PM
Gods, that playtest was mad fun. Greater dispel magic? V-V-VOID PALM!!!

Except that he didn't say it audibly, so the poor PCs had no clue what had happened.

Also, he figured out one of the few ways to royally wreck true seeing for someone. "I sunder his bow" indeed. :smallamused:

Thane of Fife
2009-02-16, 09:16 PM
Now that I think about it, were Gibberlings ever converted to 3.x?

Because one of those could have been worth voting for, too....

lesser_minion
2009-02-16, 09:23 PM
V-V-V-VOID PALM!!! was the one that blocked rays, lines and magic missiles wasn't it? I don't remember all of the Ninjutsu abilities.

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 09:23 PM
Also shut down dispel magic and its big brother.

lesser_minion
2009-02-16, 09:25 PM
Nice... where did the whole True Seeing thing come in then?

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 09:34 PM
Dandag keeps immense weaponry in gloves of storing, which use a transmutation effect. Since true seeing sees the truth instead of the magical effect, he seemed to have a bow and an axe in his hands. The fighter tried to Sunder a bow that wasn't there. Then he caught an axe to the face.

lesser_minion
2009-02-16, 09:37 PM
Remind me to stick with Greater Arcane Sight if I ever play in one of your games... Although that is a pretty cool effect. I was under the impression that you saw a wispy outline of whatever true seeing was countering though. *goes to check SRD*

EDIT - Seems to imply that it shows the true form of polymorphed, transmuted or changed creatures. Ouch... that can be pretty nasty if abused.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-16, 09:38 PM
Fighter - "Hey, I've got magic too. I can cast Summon Axe to Faces unlimited times a day."

afroakuma
2009-02-16, 09:43 PM
That fighter was badly outclassed, though. Employing fly against a native flyer with a bigger weapon, a high AC and unknown abilities, without any reinforcement, and at least three levels on him.

lesser_minion
2009-02-16, 09:46 PM
Ouch... On the flip side, I think I'd just go with the Greater Arcane Sight route - that way, I know whwn something has been transmuted.

Why were they so careful to stop True Seeing being augmented anyway? There is a lot of other stuff that they missed that could have used a 'no mortal magic can further enhance this'

LordZarth
It wasn't Dandag that was the awesome. He was merely awesome.

No, the POWER! recognizes that V-V-VOID PALM was the awesome.

afroakuma
Why were they so careful to stop True Seeing being augmented anyway?

I don't follow.

lesser_minion
2009-02-16, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I just answered my own question. It would basically make everything pointless if a True Seeing combined with other magic. It would literally be a case of:

Cast True Seeing
Cast spell that could be fooled by an illusion and massively augments detection abilities
Profit

Limos
2009-02-16, 09:54 PM
Afro, is there a link to where I can read the Dandag playtest? It sounds hilarious.

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 07:27 AM
The winning species: Unique (Horrific)!

Now, this nightmarish nemesis will have Class levels. So get voting!

arguskos
2009-02-17, 07:31 AM
The winning species: Unique (Horrific)!

Now, this nightmarish nemesis will have Class levels. So get voting!
DO YOU EVER SLEEP?!?!?!- *ahem* I mean, why hello there afro, you may wish to get some shuteye whatwhat. :smallwink:

Oh, and as for the Class, I want to see your Matador class, since it might mean the flavor is sorta Spanish Conquistador-esque, which would be awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Atelm
2009-02-17, 07:36 AM
Hmm, Marshal.

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 07:37 AM
DO YOU EVER SLEEP?!?!?!

The word "no" comes to mind.

arguskos
2009-02-17, 07:39 AM
The word "no" comes to mind.
Damn. That does bite. Then again... it's sorta like the pot calling the kettle black, since it's 6:38 AM here, and I'm awake. Oh, and I'm unemployed, not in school, and less than broke. Go me. :smallannoyed: No wonder I don't sleep.

At least you're bringing us delicious delicious Villain votes. I'm just a glorified troll who wears nice clothes. :smallbiggrin:

UnChosenOne
2009-02-17, 07:50 AM
I vote for Marshal.

Ratzinkaiser
2009-02-17, 08:02 AM
Voting for a Favored Soul

Zeta Kai
2009-02-17, 08:19 AM
Beguiler; horrific Beguilers are by-default, ready-to-go creepy. :smalleek:

Pronounceable
2009-02-17, 08:20 AM
Cleric would be interesting. We haven't ever had one, have we?
(not that we've had plenty of other classes, but last time I used that sentence it triggered a bandwagon that caused much hilarity to ensue).Let's see if there's something subliminally suggestive with that sentence.

lesser_minion
2009-02-17, 08:26 AM
Well, you already know my vote. Harrowed. And if not, Bio-Mage.

You get a whole pile of interesting moral dilemmas, and both of those could interact pretty nicely with the idea of a Nameless Terror Of The Dark.

Interestingly, we don't seem to have had any female villains so far. Unless you count that vermin thing.

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 08:55 AM
For the moment, I'm afraid I am going to decline both. I've PM'd you my reasons.

Mercenary Pen
2009-02-17, 09:11 AM
Hmm... Unique (Horrific)- that sounds like a wonderful base for a Warlock.

but just you wait until the motivation vote

InsiderTrading
2009-02-17, 09:35 AM
Soceror! Lets see some fireballs!

BTW, Are you still doing CR for this poll?

watsyurname529
2009-02-17, 10:34 AM
Beguiler! They need some love too.

LucyHarris
2009-02-17, 10:42 AM
Horrific, eh? Why not make something horrific a Hexblade? A curse upon you all!

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-17, 11:41 AM
Warlock is my vote. I'm also curious as to why Harrowed and Bio-Mage have been nixed.

puppyavenger
2009-02-17, 11:45 AM
Matador please.

The Mentalist
2009-02-17, 12:06 PM
Cleric please

Debihuman
2009-02-17, 12:09 PM
I'm liking the Matador because it's different.

Debby

LordZarth
2009-02-17, 12:27 PM
Beguiler for awesome factor.

lesser_minion
2009-02-17, 12:39 PM
In that case, I'll go with Psion. Telepathic horrors for the win!

Scratch that, if possible. Can I go with Favoured Soul?

Lord_Gareth: I'll forward you the PM.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-17, 01:00 PM
I'll vote for No Class.

MageSparrowhawk
2009-02-17, 01:35 PM
put me down for Favored Soul for now...though I'm feeling iffy at this point...

MammonAzrael
2009-02-17, 01:44 PM
I'll join the wagon of the Warlock. :smallsmile:

LordZarth
2009-02-17, 01:47 PM
-1 Beguiler
+1 NO CLASS

Top-level unique abilities FTW!

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 02:20 PM
+1 NO CLASS

Top-level unique abilities FTW!

I completely forgot that was an option. :smallredface:

lesser_minion, did you understand my reasoning? Even if you don't perchance agree?

lesser_minion
2009-02-17, 02:21 PM
Yeah, it's OK. I went for Favoured Soul in the end.

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 02:23 PM
Yes, I caught that. Just didn't want any hurt feelings. :smallsmile:

Maybe in some future round we'll reopen that idea.

Limos
2009-02-17, 02:24 PM
No Class

Let's get something weird and crazy.

Owrtho
2009-02-17, 02:26 PM
My first choice would be Harrowed, however as you said that is not an option at this time I'll vote for No Class. If however you change your mind and allow Harrowed I request my vote be changed to that.

Owrtho

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 02:32 PM
I'll not be changing my mind this round.

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 03:00 PM
This was really straightforward; the votes were mostly fast bandwagons. Someone might want it, though.

Notes From Vote Up A Villain II: The Caillteanas
Clear-cut. It's going to be Fey. Unseelie, definitely.

Made-up name or real Celtic?

Dan'selladh

Daoin sidh

Thirna slainte if it's good? Can't be unseelie, really... think more later. Do a class this time; fighter or specialist levels would be okay; bard would be cliché but easy to work with, probably. Fey ninja? I so would. :D

Banshrae... now I want bard. Not winning. Verdant prince I expected. Definitely some places I could go with that.

Unique humanoid... easiest of all? Simple disguise, blends in; do I make it a halfling, elf or human? Human I think is best this time. Disguise lets it... kill babies or something. Already murdered virgins.

Stealing babies. Yes. Give me evil and it will be stealing babies.

Changelings. Stealing babies for changelings. God yes.

Irish...redhead? yep. I like it.

Heheh... ninja indeed.

Hexblade, eh? I don't know it. Complete Arcane?

Complete Warrior.

...PHB2? Yes

Long-range curses, lousy spell selection... have to see what level I get to play with.

Weak. Don't need that. Hmm... see how many pixe-esque powers I can slip in and still keep it low. I need Haxblade's curse as good as possible.

Better. 14, okay, I can do a fair number of levels and some justified powers for unclassed.

CN, alright that's close. Stealing babies. Now I just need to know why.

Maybe he's the "adoption agency" of the fey world. :P

A quarterstaff to give him that Odin feel. Still need a name. Like "The Morrigan"

something Celtic and isolationary. Bloody lack of translators. Board post? Could work.

Doom? Loss? Dread? Sorrow?

Got a parser. Looks like it has... none of these and how is that logical or fair?

Loss, there's like ten thousand here. Um..."Caillteanas?" That's pretty damn weak next to "Morrigan" and it starts with a C. Hmm. I'll wait for an actual Celtic helper.

Woot, found one.

Couriousity. Simple. I want your baby because... it's small and pink and I want to besure it's a baby. Now that I have it, in with the bathwater it goes.

Idea: water. Spill the water, I take your baby. Put the water somewhere unavoidable.

Mythological link: get it off your property. Superstition. Pot of water. There we go. What's special about the water?

Use bestow curse. Drians people to see what it'll do, stores the curse-swept luck in the water. Trades a pot of liquid luck for your baby. Then what?

That Celt isn't getting back to me, and I need a name!!!! GRR!!!!

LordZarth
2009-02-17, 03:05 PM
This was really straightforward; the votes were mostly fast bandwagons. Someone might want it, though.

Notes From Vote Up A Villain II: The Caillteanas
Clear-cut. It's going to be Fey. Unseelie, definitely.

Made-up name or real Celtic?

Dan'selladh

Daoin sidh

Thirna slainte if it's good? Can't be unseelie, really... think more later. Do a class this time; fighter or specialist levels would be okay; bard would be cliché but easy to work with, probably. Fey ninja? I so would. :D

Banshrae... now I want bard. Not winning. Verdant prince I expected. Definitely some places I could go with that.

Unique humanoid... easiest of all? Simple disguise, blends in; do I make it a halfling, elf or human? Human I think is best this time. Disguise lets it... kill babies or something. Already murdered virgins.

Stealing babies. Yes. Give me evil and it will be stealing babies.

Changelings. Stealing babies for changelings. God yes.

Irish...redhead? yep. I like it.

Heheh... ninja indeed.

Hexblade, eh? I don't know it. Complete Arcane?

Complete Warrior.

...PHB2? Yes

Long-range curses, lousy spell selection... have to see what level I get to play with.

Weak. Don't need that. Hmm... see how many pixe-esque powers I can slip in and still keep it low. I need Haxblade's curse as good as possible.

Better. 14, okay, I can do a fair number of levels and some justified powers for unclassed.

CN, alright that's close. Stealing babies. Now I just need to know why.

Maybe he's the "adoption agency" of the fey world. :P

A quarterstaff to give him that Odin feel. Still need a name. Like "The Morrigan"

something Celtic and isolationary. Bloody lack of translators. Board post? Could work.

Doom? Loss? Dread? Sorrow?

Got a parser. Looks like it has... none of these and how is that logical or fair?

Loss, there's like ten thousand here. Um..."Caillteanas?" That's pretty damn weak next to "Morrigan" and it starts with a C. Hmm. I'll wait for an actual Celtic helper.

Woot, found one.

Couriousity. Simple. I want your baby because... it's small and pink and I want to besure it's a baby. Now that I have it, in with the bathwater it goes.

Idea: water. Spill the water, I take your baby. Put the water somewhere unavoidable.

Mythological link: get it off your property. Superstition. Pot of water. There we go. What's special about the water?

Use bestow curse. Drians people to see what it'll do, stores the curse-swept luck in the water. Trades a pot of liquid luck for your baby. Then what?

That Celt isn't getting back to me, and I need a name!!!! GRR!!!!

That was cool. Was more straightforward than the last, though. Still interesting.

...more? Are you having to edit these, Afro?

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 03:09 PM
I'm tearing out the crunchy bits.

The Tygre
2009-02-17, 03:10 PM
Let's get crazy here: I vote for Matador.

LordZarth
2009-02-17, 03:14 PM
I'm tearing out the crunchy bits.

Oh but why?

watsyurname529
2009-02-17, 03:28 PM
Let's get crazy here: I vote for Matador.

Where might I find this Matador?

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 03:36 PM
This Matador? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90521)

Right here. :smallamused:

lesser_minion
2009-02-17, 03:37 PM
Where might I find this Matador?

It's one of afro's homebrew classes - I'm pretty sure there's a link somewhere.

EDIT: Aagh! It's the POWER!? of the V-V-VOID PALM! Damn ninjas...

thegurullamen
2009-02-17, 03:38 PM
I vote up a Warlock and would like to express a preference for either an otherworldly or natural flavor. New invocations if you've got the courage time.

Saint Nil
2009-02-17, 04:41 PM
Cleric please. Seems to have the most potential in my opinion.

watsyurname529
2009-02-17, 04:59 PM
This Matador? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90521)

Right here. :smallamused:

Thanks. Hmm... The class is interesting... I'm not sure I'm going to change my vote at the moment though.

vegetalss4
2009-02-17, 05:34 PM
i vote for Warlock

afroakuma
2009-02-17, 06:04 PM
Notes From Vote Up A Villain III: Dandag the Quiet
Giant, eh? Not a lot pof people voting... hope they're not sick of it. :(

Alright, what can be done: Gargantua, less the Insectoid cause that's silly. So that boils down to Humanoid and Reptilian... any, really. Huge monstrous humanois. So, Humanoid and Monstrous.

Probably get one of the main giant races, so let's make a BIG bad. :) Allow a class for sure. I'm picturing a siege, a smart siege. Weapons that are giant-scaled. Catapult stones destroying cities from afar. Sky Emperor? Hmm... there could be some potential.

Fire Giant would... skew it. Ashen King? Volcano King? you know, these corny names are no good in the least. Fine, but he gets fire elementals as pets. Or a half-fire elemental template? Merit? The world is reduced to ash by the spreading onslaught of the Someone.

OGRE MAGE?!!??!?!! that's not a giant. Aaaand there's the comments that say "I quit." Well,m this is good for morale. Happy happy.

Could still work with sorcerer, but why are they voting ninja? I can't do that... it needs STEALTH and would take a penalty to its most important skill! A HUGE penalty! :| Well, Large... Not to mention it's unfinished. Ugh. Hatred SEEPS. FLARES.

*sigh* At least they gave me some CR to play with... but not enough to make him something to be reckoned with; bloody LA. Alright, to get that power level, I'll need help. Optimizers? Will they work with a homebrew class?

Revenge indeed. PCV; easy enough. Hired assassin. *groan*

Okay, non-associated class levels may yet save my bacon on this. Here's hoping.

Juhn
2009-02-18, 01:33 PM
And again, it seems you worried when there was no need to.

Although, I do agree that an Ogre Mage is barely a giant. Dandag still turned out awesome, though.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-18, 01:49 PM
Afro, Minion kindly forwarded me your PM regarding the Harrowed and I've got a bone to pick with you.

The Harrowed is, as I mentioned before, intentionally morally murky. However, the character is in control of themselves most of the time - they are, after all, the "can" portion of the "sealed evil in a can" and it would be really retarded if they could be stepped on 24/7 by the Monster Within. A Harrowed's motivations, therefore, don't necessarily come from the monster itself, and pressing questions like, "Who am I?" "What did I do to deserve this?" and "Am I really a person?" often define them.

Yes, the class itself does shape a lot of how the Harrowed views the world, but can any different be said of, say, the wizard? Monk? Warlock? I feel that the Harrowed can make a legitimately interesting villain without being utterly restrictive.

I'd make an argument for Bio-Mage, but I haven't read it. Cheers!

afroakuma
2009-02-18, 02:22 PM
Afro, Minion kindly forwarded me your PM regarding the Harrowed and I've got a bone to pick with you.

I find myself incredibly unsurprised. :smallamused:

A Harrowed's motivations, therefore, don't necessarily come from the monster itself, and pressing questions like, "Who am I?" "What did I do to deserve this?" and "Am I really a person?" often define them.

That right there is what I was trying to avoid. That bolded part.

Yes, the class itself does shape a lot of how the Harrowed views the world, but can any different be said of, say, the wizard? Monk? Warlock? I feel that the Harrowed can make a legitimately interesting villain without being utterly restrictive.

I don't deny it; I stated that I felt it would limit my overall latitude in personality and motivational design, as well as overall character design, much more so than a more admittedly generic class.

As I said, the class vote is not about personality. The class vote is about class abilities. When there is a leak-over, then I have to begin considering how that might impact the villain itself. Had it not been a Unique, I would probably have allowed it.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-18, 02:35 PM
Goddamnit, now you've forced me to choose between seeing what you can do with Harrowed and sticking to my policy of only voting for Unique villains. DAMN YOU, AFRO! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

*Cries in a corner*

Vonotar
2009-02-18, 02:45 PM
Favoured Soul

Limos
2009-02-18, 02:48 PM
Hooray! The forums back!

afroakuma
2009-02-18, 11:14 PM
Alrighty, so: The cheerful state of our dilapidated forums has prompted me to double-extend this round of voting.

Voting for Class will be kept open until 1200 EST, Thursday February 19 or sometime thereabouts when I actually have a chance to close the round.

Pronounceable
2009-02-19, 01:53 AM
I completely forgot that was an option. :smallredface:

Me too. -1 Cleric, +1 None. Much as a cleric'd be awesome, forcing him to go nuts with special abilities seems it'll extract more awesome out of Afro.

blackspeeker
2009-02-19, 02:42 AM
favored soul please.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-19, 09:28 AM
You know what? I'll cast a vote for None as well.

As I talked about in Prince Meridius' round...we can always add class levels ourselves to raise him if we need to.

vitorgas
2009-02-19, 09:31 AM
I vote for None, the fact that the villain don't have class make him more remarkable.

Abbott
2009-02-19, 10:20 AM
My vote is on favored soul as well. He went mad because of the inherent class MADness.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-19, 10:29 AM
Folks, I would like to point out that, just as animals are more or less defined by being normal, humanoids (BOTH types) are defined by their possession of class levels.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-19, 10:43 AM
Folks, I would like to point out that, just as animals are more or less defined by being normal, humanoids (BOTH types) are defined by their possession of class levels.

Centaurs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/centaur.htm), Derros (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/derro.htm), Doppelgangers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/doppelganger.htm), Gargoyles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gargoyle.htm), Grimlocks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm), Hags (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hag.htm), and Harpies (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/harpy.htm) would like to disagree with you...and that's just going up through the Hs.

Humanoids (both types) are defined by their ability to take class levels, I'd say....except not even that, I'd say they're defined roughly by a vaguely related body shape, sort of (meaning yes, I disagree with that some of the creatures labeled as such are actually humanoid...). All of those monsters listed above have stat blocks for the base creature without classes; many have "X as characters" entries below, but not all; some have additional stat blocks with class levels stacked on the base creature, but not all. And many things that aren't monstrous humanoids have additional, classed stat blocks as well (Outsiders - Hound Archons - come to mind offhand).

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-19, 10:56 AM
I didn't say other types HAVE to lack a class, merely that humanoids and monstrous humanoids almost always do - hell, their advancement is NEARLY ALWAYS "by class" rather than anything else.

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 11:01 AM
Goddamnit, now you've forced me to choose between seeing what you can do with Harrowed and sticking to my policy of only voting for Unique villains. DAMN YOU, AFRO! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

*Cries in a corner*

You seem to have remembered that I am, and remain, the ultimate villain.

:amused:

Now figure out how to work it so that you get your way next time.

UnChosenOne
2009-02-19, 11:04 AM
I change my vote from Marshal to Warlock.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-19, 11:11 AM
I didn't say other types HAVE to lack a class, merely that humanoids and monstrous humanoids almost always do - hell, their advancement is NEARLY ALWAYS "by class" rather than anything else.

Alright, I understand what you're saying now. When you said
...just as animals are more or less defined by being normal, humanoids...are defined by their possession of class levels it sounded, to me, like you were saying
Just like animals must have <3 Int and no magic abilities or they're not animals, humanoids must have class levels to be humanoids.

Ergo, miscommunication, sorry.

Still; like you say, their advancement is by class. I say we give afro free reign to craft a creature without having to curb its power because of class levels, and we can advance it with class levels ourselves all we want later, if we so desire.

Think about it. If we chose a predefined monster, sure, class levels - That way, we choose a CR 5 creature and use class levels to bring it up to whatever CR we choose later. But since this is a unique monster, if we choose class levels, we're basically limiting the strength of the base creature to CR (Whatever we choose - X number of class levels). This way we'll get a creature whose base power is fully equal to the CR we choose.

-E- On a similarly unrelated note - afro, I'm really enjoying these "thought process" note releases for previous contests. Thanks for releasing them.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-19, 11:16 AM
See, what I'm worried about is the opposite situation - that we vote for NO class levels, then give Afro something like CR 15 or 45 or some other crazy thing. Now we have a humanoid that is, quite frankly, personally powerful to an absurd and obscene degree. I'd find such a creature patently rediculous, wouldn't you?

Why not vote for a class, then give a mid-to-high CR (like 10-18) so that there's room for both uniqueness AND the class? That way neither scenario - restriction on creativity or absurdity - takes place.

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 11:35 AM
-E- On a similarly unrelated note - afro, I'm really enjoying these "thought process" note releases for previous contests. Thanks for releasing them.

Glad you like them. I'll be posting the fourth one shortly. It's... rather colorful, considering.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-19, 11:47 AM
See, what I'm worried about is the opposite situation - that we vote for NO class levels, then give Afro something like CR 15 or 45 or some other crazy thing. Now we have a humanoid that is, quite frankly, personally powerful to an absurd and obscene degree. I'd find such a creature patently rediculous, wouldn't you?

Why not vote for a class, then give a mid-to-high CR (like 10-18) so that there's room for both uniqueness AND the class? That way neither scenario - restriction on creativity or absurdity - takes place.

In a world where a human in his mid-twenties can be calling bizarre creatures from other dimensions to fight from him; spray bright, colorful light from his fingertips that causes people to fall unconscious; or cause a bit of rope to start moving and wrap itself around me…I find very little ridiculous anymore. :smallamused:

Seriously, though, I don't find the idea of a monstrous humanoid ridiculously powerful of its own inherent self that absurd. Remember, it'll be unique, so that means there'll only be one of it; it's not like he's creating a new race of monsters (that's Zeta's job (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104782) =p ). And I think it's unlikely that the CR will get voted to an absurd level, too. Usually these things are...somewhat moderate, and besides, we've got Round X to think of...personally I plan to vote middle-road CR for this guy, and try and bust out something high next time.

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 11:54 AM
besides, we've got Round X to think of...personally I plan to vote middle-road CR for this guy, and try and bust out something high next time.

Good...use your aggressive feelings, boy!

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 01:13 PM
Since these seem to be enjoyed... (this was a bad one, as I'm sure the voters remember)

Notes From Vote Up A Villain IV: The Augmoha
Hey look! Even Krimm showed up for this round!

Hiss... swarms AGAIN. ...and Heliomance earns a stabbing.
Ditto UnChosenOne. I will Finnish Him.

Thank you Frigs for the deciding vote. Vermin.

Types, quickly. Rats, bugs, worms and super-creepies, like pill bugs, millionthousandpedes and the sickly onychophoran. Platyhelminthes? OOH: Doom Tapeworm.

So, Rodent, Insect and... Arachnid? Still kinda close. Something worse than that... Something Worse it is. See if that inflames their imaginations.

And Swarm. They're gonna bug me (pun!) if I don't, and it'll outflank them. Also: distinct.

Er... rodents are animals. Weird. *sigh* roll with that.

OK, so: Mindless to get around. Parameters of the type indicate that I could get around that... but then I can't play fast and loose with the good stuff. So, to be crafty.

Non-resident brain? Perhaps a literal hive mind, carried in a distended ovipositor? Human brains knotted via immature metaganglial tissues, vascularised and held in resin? Mmm, resin.

Mmm, massive overwhelming bandwagon. Inflaming SUCCESS! Now, Mindless still means it has no native intelligence, so no alignment. No class, obviously, because vermin have no class. (Pun!) Post that, and hey, the round will go faster too.

Ignoring the debate. Okay: What's worse? Need a basic body structure, something established as vermin-y. Assassin-bug sorta thing? No... something festering, something basic gone absolutely mental...poisonous, clawed, WINGED...

Big bee. Massive bee. Masive bloated six-legged, denuded, resin-slick bee-thing. Keep pulling the lever, add more until it stops being a bug and starts being Something Worse... brain-cracking-open parts to the mouth? Hollow, cavernous bubbles all over the barely-covered exoskeleton? Ovipositor defended in a clutch by two hind legs (ten total!) that contains the "hive mind!" The hive directs the creature in its goals, conferring an intelligence that it lacks. Being that it's a lower-biological exofunction, the creature remains mindless and without alignment, and ignores Int-based attacks since neither it nor its butt-head have anything to lose.

This is awesome. What if the bee, the regular bee, became territorial? And acquired the knowledge and understanding of a whole city simply to further its bee goals? Would it gain a fundamental understanding of its actions through the eyes of its victims? How would it feel about being driven by instinct despite tapping higher reasoning processes? How would it feel about being able to feel?

Hehehe, now imagine a hive mind of hivemindy bees. That would be messed beyond recognition. "We are going to eat your entire civilization and puke it out onto our butts, to build a giant hive that behaves like a twisted, honey-loving, instinctual, unspeaking mockery of human achievement and accomplishment throughout all of time." Bit much; I'll save it.

Uh oh, we haz debates. On the bright side, "Oh look! A City! OM NOM NOM"

Durg. Long debates. Apiforme antagonists must be put on hold briefly.

Alright, so brainstealing. Core ganglion. Where do I put the stinger? More than one? Beedrill sort of thing?

Discouragement. Ohhhhhhhhhhh so very not happy at this momentt. Ummm., I do not want to cencel thisd contest

ARGHHHHHHHH I'm furtsrated now stabbings flames wrath. WHY@! What is wrong with trying this it should work. It should work. Should be able to make it work. I'm good enough to make it work why must I be tolde that I can't amke it work!!!!

Calmed. Alright, this one just... I can't do it. It doesn't fit. It's got

Bee doesn't work. Needs to have Int or else it isn't a villain. There goes the bee. New idea. Too tired to think of one right now. Some worm? I don't don't have it in me tonight. Let them know what it was. Can't use it anyway.

Beast, was the other type. Grr. Alright, well, Int score. We have an alignment again.

Keep the crowd entertained, rotate the vote, bed. thining is for tomorrow

Ugh i feel insulted and i feel depressed and now i want sleep

worm thing i guess australian glue worm velvet skin work thing and maybe thats a good start

where the flip did they hide the good uvudaum? I want one.

ELH: Bad one
LOM: no
MM? wasn't in the mm
Google Images: there we go. What book? its too late, i just am in no mood to care. have an uvuudaum folks.

hooray, i win. can i win at sleep? NO

Okay, back on track, what do I have. Velvet worm... Australian glue worm, that's what, onychophoran? Eew, gross wiki pic. I like it already,

Well, the thing from Alien was verminesque. Xenomorph drool-ology, carapace, smooth cowl, no eyes for that added WTF factor. Those stubby pointy creepy legs

I can't keep that thing on my screen, it messes me up. The god of Australia had like - goatmadness or something, making up that sort of shudderness.

Pointy creep legs, no. Tentacles!!! Body split at the bottom like a cheesestring thing. No antennae, because those suck. Claws! Hellish number of them. Hooray for claws!

Now, glue... web? Web effect? Could probably make it Ex, which keeps me in type.

Heliomance goes two for two on the Stab meter today.

Agh HEADS CUT OFF AGAIN

Okay, ignoring the boards. Creepiness factor... how do you make a Something Worse a threat? Has to be a demonstrably comparative threat to the world.

It's a botworm.

Okay...now...

Dragon botworm.

There we go. Now, add some Zerg factor... it slowly grows more dragonish, gets bigger, stronger, smarter. Has to have an ability to ward off the dragons that could actually kill it. Gross pheromones? Ten points. Burrowing. It needs distractions so it can get to the eggs. It is its own best distraction, mind...

Dragons vs. Humans, refereed by the gross doom thingy. But how do the dragons know where to look? Stink?

IT EATS CITIES. Under we go. OM NOM NOM. Baits dragons, leaves, sneaks in and botwormizes an egg or two. Out of time, bloody early shift. CE, though, so I totally get away with this.

Alrighty, and it will be able to infest THE WORLD!!!! except CR 8, so only a few mini-swarms, but still: THE WORLD!!!!

Now, if greater good wins, I am simply going to FLAY THEM ALL ALIVE. it had better not win, I can't junk it all again, I'll go ballistic. Now, survival fits. It's not just out to be a jerk, it's selected dragon egg as its nutritional supplement of choice. Better yet, it wants to assimilate draconic traits. Rudimentary, icky wings? Why thank you, I think I will. Serve the Hive. Feel the groove.

Survival winning...

Name, fast, name,

a
arg agh aghmalga argmola ashgola mola mora remora no no moga moa moha agmoha augmoha argmoha ahrgmoha aghmoda agmoha

AUGMOHA go to press

Survival!

Magnor Criol
2009-02-19, 01:25 PM
Good...use your aggressive feelings, boy!

I plan to. :smallamused:

I...find myself glad I wasn't around for the Augmoha competition. Doesn't seem to have been a very happy round. Turned out alright in the end, though.

Also: The pics for velvet worms aren't that creepy...actually I think the little guys are kinda cute.

LucyHarris
2009-02-19, 01:37 PM
Wow...the Augmoha sounds suitably horrifying.

Where can I find the stats? :smallbiggrin:

ETA: Never mind, found it.

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 01:39 PM
Just one of those things that sets me off, and I'm never sure why. Weirdest things freak me out.

Lucy: in my sig, through my full homebrew, or go to the first page and pop open the first Spoiler. The link is in there.

LucyHarris
2009-02-19, 01:56 PM
Wow...this is the first time I've had an edit get ninja'd. But thanks for the pointer nonetheless!

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 02:21 PM
I switched over to my dark ninja POWER!

Just for you!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled POWER!

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 02:26 PM
*facepalm* I forgot to post it.

Despite offering to give this monster a Class, you have thrown this offer back in my face, telling me in no uncertain votes that there shall be No Class.

So, this vulgate villain now needs its Challenge Rating. And since this is the boring part, we're going to sacrifice its day in the sun (snow...) for the purpose of regaining some lost time.

You have until 0000 EST (0500 GMT) to file your vote.

lesser_minion
2009-02-19, 02:33 PM
Well, with no character class, I think I'll have to go with a CR7.

thegurullamen
2009-02-19, 02:41 PM
CR 12 Right in the middle. To the right.

Pronounceable
2009-02-19, 03:00 PM
Six. My favorite number is six. Sometimes I spend the whole afternoon sitting around and singing a tune about six...

Limos
2009-02-19, 03:07 PM
CR 12 thanks.

arguskos
2009-02-19, 03:08 PM
*sigh* This villain already seems... special. Anyways, let's go with CR 7.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-19, 03:29 PM
Hmm, two for CR 12 and two for CR 7. I think I'll split the difference and for for CR 9...and a half.

Juhn
2009-02-19, 03:43 PM
Your posting of the Augmoha notes makes me want to see what that first idea would have ended up like.

Same goes for the one you had to scrap in favour of the Hellstar.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-02-19, 03:47 PM
Hmmm... Cr 9 sounds about right to me.

vegetalss4
2009-02-19, 03:47 PM
ill go for nine too.

also afro thanks for showing us a glimpse of how your mind work, that was very cool.

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 04:13 PM
I like to think that my mind works in a more structured fashion. What's there is literally notes that I mash out on the keyboard while bored or when planning and able to commit to computer, rather than personal, memory.

I did strip most of the more important stuff from those, like the crunch shells, game mechanic thought processes, some concept links and any thought process that wasn't "ooh, shiny must play must play." The actual magic scaffolds of POWER are the real way my mind works, and won't be released.

The Mentalist
2009-02-19, 04:16 PM
Seven sounds appetizing

Alteran
2009-02-19, 04:45 PM
I agree, 7 sounds good.

watsyurname529
2009-02-19, 04:54 PM
I think I prefer CR 9 with this one.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-19, 04:55 PM
Hm...9, or 12?

I'll go with 9...lower is more accessible. And again...I wanna save up for next round.

Juhn
2009-02-19, 06:36 PM
I like to think that my mind works in a more structured fashion. What's there is literally notes that I mash out on the keyboard while bored or when planning and able to commit to computer, rather than personal, memory.

I did strip most of the more important stuff from those, like the crunch shells, game mechanic thought processes, some concept links and any thought process that wasn't "ooh, shiny must play must play." The actual magic scaffolds of POWER are the real way my mind works, and won't be released.

So, you deliberately strip out all of the useful stuff? What's the point of releasing these if you're doing your best to make sure we can't learn from em?

The Bookworm
2009-02-19, 06:37 PM
CR Seven! That seems about right...

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 06:39 PM
So, you deliberately strip out all of the useful stuff? What's the point of releasing these if you're doing your best to make sure we can't learn from em?

What do you mean, "the useful stuff?" I cut all of the numbers and left the formative info, for whoever wants to steal it and do it up in their own fashion. Sure, I only left the slush, but it's some darn good slush.

What specifically did you want salvaged?

watsyurname529
2009-02-19, 06:46 PM
What do you mean, "the useful stuff?" I cut all of the numbers and left the formative info, for whoever wants to steal it and do it up in their own fashion. Sure, I only left the slush, but it's some darn good slush.

We wanted the pure essence of said magical scaffolds of POWER so that we could see the workings behind the afro.

Mercenary Pen
2009-02-19, 06:50 PM
Now, despite a sudden, inexplicable hankering for a CR19.5 monster, I'll go for CR12 instead.

thegurullamen
2009-02-19, 06:55 PM
Afro's a real creator now; everyone's asking that question that let's you know you're there:

"Where do you get your ideas?"

I give it five years before afro buys a machete that he'll affectionately name "The Answer".

Juhn
2009-02-19, 07:08 PM

Ah. I'm sorry if that came off as rather harsh - my head's feeling a little off at the moment, for some reason. As such, please excuse any possible lack of tact in this post as well. It was mostly the "I did strip most of the more important stuff from those" and the "any thought process that wasn't 'ooh, shiny must play must play.'" that made it sound like you were cutting out most of "the useful stuff", as I put it.

puppyavenger
2009-02-19, 07:11 PM
well, highest that has a chance of winning CR 12

LucyHarris
2009-02-19, 07:16 PM
CR 12 for the win, baby.

Also: I like the postings Afro does of his notes. It's always interesting to see someone's thought process (and said notes made me curious about the monster, which resulted in me going and reading the entire Augmoha thread). If you have any moar, keep 'em coming! :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 07:29 PM
Ah. I'm sorry if that came off as rather harsh - my head's feeling a little off at the moment, for some reason. As such, please excuse any possible lack of tact in this post as well. It was mostly the "I did strip most of the more important stuff from those" and the "any thought process that wasn't 'ooh, shiny must play must play.'" that made it sound like you were cutting out most of "the useful stuff", as I put it.

Well, as I said, I removed important material, and lots of it, but I fail to see how the remainder isn't useful. I don't see what it is in particular that you'd want me to leave, apart from crunch shells.

Gorgondantess
2009-02-19, 07:32 PM
CR 12. Damn the 10 letter minimum post limit, damn the ten letter minimum post limit to hell!

Juhn
2009-02-19, 07:37 PM
...I don't know either, specifically. I don't know what important stuff you took out that you could leave in. You'd just said something like "I took out all the important stuff and anything that didn't consist of me going 'ooh shiny'," which I'd interpreted as you going "I took out all the useful stuff and left the amusing stuff". Unless you consider "ooh shiny" to be incredibly useful, that is.

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 07:58 PM
...I don't know either, specifically. I don't know what important stuff you took out that you could leave in.

I did give a small overview of what was removed.

You'd just said something like "I took out all the important stuff and anything that didn't consist of me going 'ooh shiny'," which I'd interpreted as you going "I took out all the useful stuff and left the amusing stuff".

Not at all. The basic development notes, how the plan of action changed, where the plan was at any given moment, the directions I was going in, they're all there.

Unless you consider "ooh shiny" to be incredibly useful, that is.

From an inspiration standpoint, I totally do. Did you read the augmoha one? I was this close to doing a god's tapeworm. Think about it. How messed up would that have been?

Notes From Vote Up A Villain 6: Prince Meridius
VUAV 6: This Time, It's Not Nearly As Awesome As VUAV 5!

Pull up the socks; it's going to be a tough sell after the last time.

Humanoid? Longshot, but does Tereza Marziale finally get to make an appearance?

There's only really two kinds. Done.

Apparently not. Githzerai, hmm... I wonder if a certain historical personage might be prompted to make an appearance? Could work rather nicely. Might lessen the letdown after El Hell

Merfolk instead. Stickfiddles. Alright, some sort of...

fish person. Fish person. Fish person.

Subrace? Rockfish-person, like the original Ursula? Poisonous? Is that cheating? I think it is. I still totally want to do that. What would go with that? White wine?

Angelfish-person? Hmm... I have an image of a mermaid with a long, flowing, diaphanous cloak, like additional fins swirling around her as she passes.

The villain will be more fun if she can chase the heroes on land for real. Need alter self somehow.

Druid would be verrrry interesting. Hmm... I wonder, something with brain coral... psionic underwater druidess? Fun possibilities: flesh out

Fav soul... dull.

Sorcerer. Alright, gender change, back to guy. Don't need Ursula comparisons. Ergh... weak caster... I can get alter self natively though; maybe abuse of something unusual. touch attacks would be nice, but I need better armor. Rather he just fling enervation constantly.

CR 4. Are they trying to kill me? Seething frustrations.

Okay, so: needs to have major resources to pose a notable threat. Double wealth somehow. Take back that cloak idea, make it a fancy cloak of resistance.

Gh. Not enough spells... underwater web would be just creepy, and no way out. Glitterdust would be fairly useless. Invisibility, mirror image, useless. Wow, lot of spells deemed actually useless underwater. Useful to know. No obscuring mist.

Alright, so I need web. But I need alter self. Charm, shocking grasp would hit hard at low level, and mage armor and shield for backup? Spell Focus?

Neutral Evil, so fun motivations. Webs of deceit. Treachery. Manipulation. Have to play political, because I'm simply broke on CR. Hope they vote ambition.

Wait they can't vote ambition. Why is that not on there? Oops.

And the crowd goes wild, like sharks smelling blood. Woot. Okay, so resources... a royal. Low on the heritance. King never speaks ot him, but he loves his mother. Twin sister, three older siblings, one infant sister. Primogeniture, no dowagers, mother would be next in line. So he removes the king. Touch of fatigue? 24 seconds, long enough to make someone feel off. Wizards would notice... civil war! Lose the brother and sister... other sibling. Expansion... locathah, sahuagin A MALENTI GIRLFRIEND ooh I like it. Concubines, too. A real player. Needs a style, I'm seeing navy, black, orange and gold. Some combination thereof. Also blue. Name. Need a name.

He's about borders, about boundaries. He's royal, Latin name, I want Meridius. Defining lines. Ancient relic. Advance him to make him a recurring pest, decent plotline. Won't move against his mom, but his machinations draw adventuers, he gets exiled. As a human. Sells his twin sister earlier on, to a human, so he has resources when exiled. The Heart of the Sirines, some sort of artifact that forces a merfolk into human form while... their scale is in it? Hair? something like that.

More spells; what about, if they were on his hands? He could have all of them, all the time. Wandring? Sounds like it takes off when you're not paying attention. Hope nobody calls me on that one.

Hunger is still there, and I'm not just going to convert it. Shark merman? No subraces. No cannibalism, I don't want to get on that playing field. Some sort of dark addiction... not dragon turtles, had the augmoha already. Hmm...

not a worry, it turns out. Meridius. Sister Meridiana, mother Meridia. Empire now is the result of... grandmother's work, establish the parity. Grandma can be a mer-mummy, and he'll release her while garnering the relic he owns from the ancient city, which is his. Exile, contract, lich, supreme ultimate power. Need help on other levels, but 4th is easy. Annnnnndd... new PrC? Can do...

Llama231
2009-02-19, 08:02 PM
it's better than 9.

Juhn
2009-02-19, 08:02 PM
I'm noticing a conspicuous lack of VUAV 5

afroakuma
2009-02-19, 08:14 PM
What a coincidence. So am I! :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2009-02-19, 08:20 PM
CR12.Blah.

Llama231
2009-02-19, 08:23 PM
We really need another epic one.

I wonder what a CR 100 viliain would be like:smallamused:...

LordZarth
2009-02-19, 08:32 PM
What is wrong with you people?! We need to give Afro the highest CR possible, so he can do as much as possible! Remember the Augmoha... CR 8? And Meridius--Afro was stifled. Stifled.

Sigh. 12.