PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]What's that one half-celestial/half-fiend monster?

Whiplord
2009-02-15, 12:58 AM
I can't seem to remember it's name or where it's from. It's a combination of holy and unholy, and is something like a bounty hunter. I know I've seen it mentioned on the forums before.

theMycon
2009-02-15, 02:17 AM
A few ideas, all probably wrong, pop into my head.

The first is Inevitables- basically bounty-hunting robots. Beings of pure law who hunt those who violate the natural order of things. There're 3 from the Monster Manual, all of which are fairly cool and mid-high level challenges (CR 9-13, I think). Being MMI, they should be in d20srd.org

The second is the succubus paladin. She's mechanically poor, since being a paladin prevents her from using most succubus powers, but still interesting fluff-wise. You can google her.

The last is a bunch of prestige classes, almost all from Complete adventurer. their names are all nightsong this or vigilante that. Basically, they look like batman, get fluff & powers that make then seem like violent sociopaths, and are required to be good (or maybe lawful).

Any of those strike your fancy? I can tell you more, or at least where to look more up, if you'd like to hear some depth about 'em.

TheCountAlucard
2009-02-15, 02:17 AM
Concordant Killer, I think you mean. It's either in MMIV or MMV.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-02-15, 02:26 AM
The second is the succubus paladin. She's mechanically poor, since being a paladin prevents her from using most succubus powers, but still interesting fluff-wise. You can google her.

It does? Wow. How? I can see not being able to use Summon Demon, but that's it. All other abilities seem perfectly fine. In fact, a kiss attack seems like it would jive nicely with some of the abilities and spells for paladins of Sune from Champions of Valor. And that extra +8 to all saves is sweet.

Actually, I think the bardadin would work even better. Pile on the full compliment of Snowflake Wardance, Divine Might, etc. - you've got turning attempts out the wazoo already with that Charisma...

Thurbane
2009-02-15, 04:50 AM
Concordant Killer, MM IV, p.34

http://guerrerosdesingularidad.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/concordant-killer-by-wayne-reynolds.jpg

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 06:12 AM
They make a reappearance in 4th ed Open Grave as an undead Abomination- created when celestial beings like couatls try to bind fiends and something goes wrong- they merge, and we get this monster.

Given that the Voice of the Silver Flame in Eberron apparently consists of a bound fiend, couatl, and paladin, makes me wonder if this will be an Eberron story arc- with them merging completely to produce said monster.

Thurbane
2009-02-15, 06:45 PM
Also, in the 1E Fiend Folio, there was a creature called (from memory) a Forlarren. It was 1/2 devil, 1/2 good fey - it would act evil, and then be remorseful if it killed anyone. Not sure if it ever got a 3.X update...

theMycon
2009-02-15, 11:14 PM
It does? Wow. How? I can see not being able to use Summon Demon, but that's it. All other abilities seem perfectly fine. In fact, a kiss attack seems like it would jive nicely with some of the abilities and spells for paladins of Sune from Champions of Valor. And that extra +8 to all saves is sweet.
Technically the "summon demon" is the only one that doesn't work (as a paladin), but the Kiss & mind-affecting spells are begging for a fall.

The kiss is "sucking some of their essence (soul)", and intended for when she lured them into an act of passion & worldly desires. It technically works as just any old peck on the cheek, but that ain't in the spirit of it. Also, while sucking the soul out of an "evil" creature is DnD good act... she's still technically one of them.

The SLAs are usable, but many player & DMs get queasy about a paladin using mind-affecting abilities. Doing anything more than "DC20-some will save OR calm down enough to talk it over" violates the spirit of it all.

Original Article here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a).

BRC
2009-02-15, 11:19 PM
The SLAs are usable, but many player & DMs get queasy about a paladin using mind-affecting abilities. Doing anything more than "DC20-some will save OR calm down enough to talk it over" violates the spirit of it all.

Original Article here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a).
Because while Paladins have no trouble bashing an evildoer's skull in with a greatsword, using a Charm Person to stop them fighting, or Suggesting that they surrender peacefully is Bad.
Mind you, I'm of the firm belief that every paladin should take levels in Grey Guard, then go smite some puppies.

Prometheus
2009-02-15, 11:24 PM
And of course there is the "Memonor", a half-fiend Astral Deva (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060407a).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-15, 11:25 PM
Because while Paladins have no trouble bashing an evildoer's skull in with a greatsword, using a Charm Person to stop them fighting, or Suggesting that they surrender peacefully is Bad.So killing is to you less evil than tearing away someone's free will, mentally violating them, and then imprisoning them for years? Not trying to be snarky, but I do find Paladin with a sword to be somewhat less objectionable than Paladin/Beguiler.

Vexxation
2009-02-15, 11:48 PM
Technically the "summon demon" is the only one that doesn't work (as a paladin), but the Kiss & mind-affecting spells are begging for a fall.

I'd almost argue that Summoning a Demon is fine. Perhaps not by RAW, but it makes sense. Fluff it as "ripping" the demon from its home plane to serve you until the time runs out or it dies. That's waaaay better than sending in a Celestial Badger. Using Evil creatures as cannon fodder should be allowed, even encouraged

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-16, 12:11 AM
I'd almost argue that Summoning a Demon is fine. Perhaps not by RAW, but it makes sense. Fluff it as "ripping" the demon from its home plane to serve you until the time runs out or it dies. That's waaaay better than sending in a Celestial Badger. Using Evil creatures as cannon fodder should be allowed, even encouragedComplete Scoundrel, Malconvoker. That's the class, in a nutshell. It be epic.

TheCountAlucard
2009-02-16, 02:11 AM
Also, while sucking the soul out of an "evil" creature is DnD good act...

Err, no, it's not. Doesn't matter what alignment the victim is, harming souls is an evil act, by the rules.

Of course, given how messed-up the rules of what constitutes a good/evil act are (I'm looking at you, Ravages!), feel free to take that with a grain of salt.

Thurbane
2009-02-19, 02:51 AM
I found a 3.0 (unofficial) conversion of the Forlarren (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/fey/forlarren.htm) over at the Enworld Creature Catalog. :smallwink:

Telonius
2009-02-19, 08:28 AM
A unique monster from Shackled City,
Adimarchus, a fallen angel and the BBEG, can shift between his good and evil forms.

Magnor Criol
2009-02-19, 09:49 AM
They make a reappearance in 4th ed Open Grave as an undead Abomination- created when celestial beings like couatls try to bind fiends and something goes wrong- they merge, and we get this monster.

Given that the Voice of the Silver Flame in Eberron apparently consists of a bound fiend, couatl, and paladin, makes me wonder if this will be an Eberron story arc- with them merging completely to produce said monster.

The Concordant Killer isn't really that, though. They're a creature actually sort of born of celestials and devils working together to create an arbiter that's resistant to both...a "best of both worlds" warrior. They're usually Neutral (if I recall correctly, I'm AFB right now) and so they aren't "monsters" in that sense at all.

Person_Man
2009-02-19, 11:28 AM
Err, no, it's not. Doesn't matter what alignment the victim is, harming souls is an evil act, by the rules.

Of course, given how messed-up the rules of what constitutes a good/evil act are (I'm looking at you, Ravages!), feel free to take that with a grain of salt.

Bah.

A Paladin can be many things. If your PC considers destroying souls Evil, so be it. But a medieval crusader archetype Paladin would have no trouble destroying the soul of a heretic, knowing that its just going to end up in the underworld anyway. Anyone who stands in the way of my holy quest has forfeited their soul, the wheat must be separated from the chaff, and so on. And I could see a Chaotic Good Paladin of Freedom who worships Aphrodite using her feminine wiles to defeat the enemies of beauty and love.