PDA

View Full Version : V's fall and Qarr's Commission

kusje
2009-02-15, 05:02 AM
In #380 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html), Sabine was promised a 10% finders fee for anything that might tip the scale between good and evil and it might be logical to assume that Qarr would also have a similar scheme for his part in V's faustian bargain.

What do you think Qarr's reward will be? 10% of V's soul? 10% of whatever V gets (Ultimate arcane power?)? Whatever it is, I doubt he will still be looking for evil chalices after this big deal goes down.

Discuss.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-15, 05:21 AM
That is an interresting question. I'd guess that it would be 10% of whatever V gives in order to get the power looking at Sabine's wording.

Totally Guy
2009-02-15, 05:24 AM
Medium Sizededness.

Cúchulainn
2009-02-15, 05:29 AM
I see Qarr getting screwed out of it because V was pre-approved and it was likely to happen anyway, I'm sure a lawful evil devil will be envolved.

Ignoring that Qarr will probably get a promotion or more of whatever evil outsiders get 'paid', most likely virgins.

Tempest Fennac
2009-02-15, 05:32 AM
Wouldn't Qarr only become medium sized if V became Colossal because of the power increase?:smalltongue: I'd say Qarr should stll be entitled to commission due to how he was able to convince V to accept the offer. The fact that it was preapproved suggests some Devils had their eye on V for while, though.

kusje
2009-02-15, 09:05 AM
Medium Sizededness.

Do imps get to grow larger?

jindra34
2009-02-15, 09:14 AM
Do imps get to grow larger?

No eventually after enough time and approval they become other bigger demons.

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 10:08 AM
though, in theory, you could have an Advanced Imp (or an imp with class levels) if you wanted- rules do permit it.

Dunamin
2009-02-15, 11:49 AM
I don't think its unlikely that Qarr can get promoted for his part in this, becoming a more powerful devil. That would certainly be interesting for a possible later return in the comic.

Kubota-Vaarsuvius arc: Qarr the Imp
Future arc: Qarr the Barbazu? (aka bearded devil)

Optimystik
2009-02-15, 12:02 PM
Actually, Steel Devils (Bueroza) are next in line - that's what Qarr would be promoted to if he's granted advancement for brokering V's transaction.

An imp’s advancement to the next rank (that of steel devil) is not necessarily tied to collecting a particular number of souls. An imp might win advancement after corrupting a single, highly coveted soul, or it might advance for performing other services of great value to its superior.

He'd become medium-sized with swords, of all things.

kusje
2009-02-15, 12:04 PM
Actually, Steel Devils (Bueroza) are next in line - that's what Qarr would be promoted to if he's granted advancement for brokering V's transaction.

He'd become a medium-sized

Isn't it possible that V is either powerful or important enough for Qarr to skip a grade?

Dunamin
2009-02-15, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I considered that option but suggested barbazu since Rich usually sticks to core material only.

Of course, if you consider Planescape lore to possibly apply, Qarr would not even be in the promotion scheme since imps are not baatezu.

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 02:13 PM
i can vaguely recall that Devilish Promotion goes way back, but its latest iteration is Fiendish Codex 2.

Which is the first source in 3.5 to have official Make Pact With Devils rules- maybe Rich has read it or similar source.

Imps apparently get promoted from bearded devils- may be a reduction in power, but its an increase in influence.