View Full Version : firestorm (spell)

vanyell
2006-09-20, 08:45 AM
firestorm
level 9 sorc/wis, 5 apy (homebrew prc)
duration instantanious
range 1 fire over 100' radius within 100'
components M,V,S

turns any fire with a radius of over 100' into a firestorm.

firestorms, in addition to 2d6 fire damage per round, do the following:

AIR BURNING- firestorms are hot enough to burn the very air you breathe. anyone caught within the firestorm takes fire damage, AND is treated as if drowning.

STORM- firestorms suck you into them. when you are within 50' of the flames, the winds from the flames pull you in. strength check to avoid being pulled into the flames are as follows:

bigger than large: not affected by storm
large: 15 DC
medium: 20 DC
small: 25 DC

on a failed check, you are dragged 10' closer to the center of the flames. a successful check means that you may stay at the same distance from the fire. in order to move away (or out) you must make the first check, and then a second to move away.

a firestorm can not be extinguished by normal, or most magical means (other than limited wish, wish, or miracle) and generaly burns out in 1d6 days per 50' radius of the flame.

vanyell
2006-09-20, 10:14 AM
will no one comment?

Jack_Simth
2006-09-20, 10:44 AM
Not usually worth a 9th level spell slot.

Seriously - how often are you going to find a fire over 100 feet in diameter?

Resist Energy will mostly make the damage effects go away; a 3rd level Wizard with the spell can travel through the area, taking 1-2 damage on unlucky rolls, for 30 minutes. A 7th level Wizard casting Resist Energy gets to ignore it essentally completely. Of course, a Necklace of Adaptation is required for anything more than a few rounds.

Okay, it's interesting for BBEG NPC's. That's about the only time I can see it in use, really.

fangthane
2006-09-20, 03:33 PM
Might I suggest a slight adjustment to the name (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsFtoG.html#fire-storm) of the spell? :)

Usually the DC should be based on the caster's stats and feats and the level of the spell; as a level 9 spell it'd require a minimum 19 casting stat which means that its DC as calculated is a minimum of 23 (which is generally associated with medium creatures) so you might want to adjust the DCs to DC-4, DC and DC+4 calculated as normal for the spell (and potentially feats such as Focus: Evo). I'm assuming of course that the spell IS evo, though it could be transmutation or conjuration depending on your desired flavour.

In any case, you can't have the name; it's my absolute favourite Clerical damage spell. My DM made me waste 'em on orcs prior to their friends assaulting our keep's walls, but that's ok, it was satisfying to imagine the shrieks of the dying. :)

Air burning - if they're treated as if drowning, they go unconscious the first round and die the second. 2d6/round, not bad. Drowning without a save or ability to avoid it, not good. I'd rewrite that to indicate that they're able to hold their breath as if swimming but when their fortitude runs out (as with swimming) they suffer drowning effects thereafter. That'd make a lot more sense, to me. :)

Storm - That's a fairly harsh check for a small character to make, given that such a character has already taken a penalty just for being small; by the same token, a large character will have very little trouble with this - I'd recommend making it a flat DC for anyone at 20 (or 23); larges will still find it easier, smalls more difficult, but not in quite such a lopsided fashion. Perhaps have characters get pulled 5 feet further per size category smaller than medium, and 5 feet less if large or larger?

It's also unclear just where the boundaries begin and end; does the fire damage occur only within the original fire, or within 100 feet of it, or within 50 feet of it, or something else?

It seems a trifle unfair in terms of requiring two consecutive saves to move; many effects (i.e. web etc) allow a save to travel at 1/2 movement - something similar might be more appropriate here, or allowing a 10 foot move maximum - again, this depends on the flavour of spell you're seeking.

It should also allow things like climb checks, to 'climb' horizontally away from the bonfire - or at the very least, a bonus to the strength check if tied off/using climbing gear. (why am I getting a flashback to Monty Python's Flying Circus?)

Another question... Distances are often measured from the center of an object. If the fire must be within 100 feet, and must have a radius of at least 100 feet, doesn't that mean the caster must stand in the fire to cast the spell? :)
@Jack - that's a radius of 100 feet - the diameter needs to be over 200 :)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-20, 03:57 PM
Storm - That's a fairly harsh check for a small character to make, given that such a character has already taken a penalty just for being small; by the same token, a large character will have very little trouble with this - I'd recommend making it a flat DC for anyone at 20 (or 23); larges will still find it easier, smalls more difficult, but not in quite such a lopsided fashion. Perhaps have characters get pulled 5 feet further per size category smaller than medium, and 5 feet less if large or larger?
Actually, Fang, i'm pretty sure those are close to, if not the same as, the Str check DCs required for a certain wind speed...

Edit: Okay, I was wrong there. But lemme take a stab at this thing...

Dread Inferno
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard Action
Duration: Instantaneous
Target: One fire 100 ft. or more in diameter within range
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No

Dread inferno causes a normal fire to intensify and grow into a terrifying conflagration. The flames now deal 2d6 + your Int (or Cha) mod points of fire damage per round to anyone in the area. The flames also burn away the air in the area, forcing anyone within the area of the fire to hold their breath or begin drowning. See the Drowning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#drowning) rules for more info.
Also, the fire draws air in continually to replace the air it has burned away. This produces tornado-force winds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#winds) that draw creatures toward the flames. Creatures within 100 ft. of the fire must make DC 30 Fort saves or suffer various effects as per a tornado. Creatures that enter the area of the fire are considered to have come into contact with a tornado's funnel cloud. They continue to take fire damage while being whirled around.

fangthane
2006-09-20, 04:53 PM
Dang, you're on a tear Iames... If I didn't know better I'd almost think you really were psionic ;)

I had completely forgotten the weather rules and was thinking in terms of how to migrate things to a fort save rather than a strength check; that's perfect from my perspective of balance so long as it jives ok with Vanyell's vision for what the spell should accomplish

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-20, 05:15 PM
Yeah but I should really be doing my homework. :P

Fax Celestis
2006-09-20, 11:29 PM
Yeah but I should really be doing my homework. :P
Homework, schmomework.