PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate weapon

Avor
2009-02-15, 02:57 PM
I get board and start searching for stuff, like how to make a weapon that can over come any DR.

Silver for lycans
Holy or blessed for Evil things
Ghost touch for ghosts
blindsighted for the invissible
morphing for DR based on piercing/bludg/slash
Adamantium for constructs and crap

Am I missing anything?

Flickerdart
2009-02-15, 03:02 PM
Cold Iron against some fiends, fey and Warlocks.

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 03:05 PM
the epic item Mace of Ruin- "ignores hardness or damage reduction of any object or creature it strikes"

and the Vile Darkness major artifact Angelwing Razor can do this, and cut through Wall of Force spells or effects as well.

the Mountain Hammer series of manuvers in Tomb of Battle also works in a similar way.

Avor
2009-02-15, 03:13 PM
Cold Iron against some fiends, fey and Warlocks.

I looked over the demons and devils, they all say DR/good OR silver/coldiron

What else realy has DR for cold iron?

the epic item Mace of Ruin- "ignores hardness or damage reduction of any object or creature it strikes"

and the Vile Darkness major artifact Angelwing Razor can do this, and cut through Wall of Force spells or effects as well.

the Mountain Hammer series of manuvers in Tomb of Battle also works in a similar way.

those sound cool, but epic is a ways off

Vonriel
2009-02-15, 03:21 PM
Dryads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dryad.htm), for one. Though I believe most other fey share that particular DR type.

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 03:23 PM
"Sure striking" covers the alignment types
"Metalline" covers the metal types.

Executioner's Axe from Dungeon Magazine (two striking surfaces, one bludgeoning+piercing, the other bludgeoning+slashing, all on the same head) covers the slash/pierce/bludgeon types well.

So a +1 metalline, sure striking, Executioner's Axe would do very well.

Arbitrarity
2009-02-15, 03:24 PM
Shadow Striking (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060303a&page=7).

/thread

Avor
2009-02-15, 03:27 PM
Dryads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dryad.htm), for one. Though I believe most other fey share that particular DR type.

I didn't realise, but I think Adamantium wins out over cold iron. Good thing fey like dryads are CG.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-02-15, 03:30 PM
The ultimate weapon exists only in the hand of the of perfect wielder, whose intents and skills are in perfect harmony behind it.

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 03:31 PM
true- but it only "emulates" a material for the purposes of punching the DR- metalline actually changes-

meaning, on the plus side, you can smash objects like it was real adamantine, but on the minus side, you do less damage when its turned silver, like it was real silver.

Avor
2009-02-15, 03:36 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention I was thinking along the lines of ancestrial weapons, samurai, kensai, ancestrial relic kind of thing.

Where can I find the rules for Metalline?

Shalizar
2009-02-15, 03:39 PM
There is no "True" Ultimate Weapon. Sure you can use tons of rules to go around things, but in the end there will be someone who will think of a way around it. Personally all my character needs is a War Hammer (1d12 19-20/x4) with Deep Impact (equal to Vorpal on a slashing weapon) and as high of a plus he can get, also Unerring works too (+15 enchantment allows only a miss on a natural 1) also lets not forget all the fighter feats to go with it. I personaly say forget damage reduction and just blow them away with damage, because 10-15 damage reduction wont be well if you are doing 10x that damage with a full round action.

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 03:40 PM
Magic Item Compendium (Underdark was first version, MIC is updated version)
(MIC has a massive list of good items)

Tome of Magic for Shadow Striking

Player's Guide to Faerun for Sure Striking

Which sources are Deep Impact and Unerring in?: +15 is pretty high considering Epic handbook properties only go up to +8.

RTGoodman
2009-02-15, 04:46 PM
All you need is the transmuting weapon property from MIC.

Transmuting (a +2 bonus) says "When you score a successful hit with a transmuting weapon against a creature that has damage reduction, that attack is resolved normally. At the start of your next turn, however, the weapon transforms, taking on the properties required to overcome that creature's damage reduction."

That lasts 10 rounds or until you hit another creature with different damage reduction, so it's basically on from round two until the fight's over. It doesn't gain any other special properties, but it always deals normal damage (which I take to mean it won't do less damage if it's emulating alchemical silver).

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 04:51 PM
true, but sometimes doing the damage in the first round is really important.

Collin152
2009-02-15, 05:01 PM
true, but sometimes doing the damage in the first round is really important.

Like when, exactly?

hamishspence
2009-02-15, 05:04 PM
like fairly early on, when you can fit a lot of damage onto a single attack, so, take out the main threat in a single surprise strike. If DR is high enough though, that first strike with transmuting weapon, may not do the job.

Arbitrarity
2009-02-15, 05:14 PM
Hm. Is it worth the cash for Shadow Striking over Transmuting?
Shadow striking applies after 1 hit, rather than 1 round, and overcomes all DR, seemingly including /-, while transmuting affects all DR but /-. Transmuting is cheaper, +2 rather than +3.

RTGoodman
2009-02-15, 05:28 PM
Hm. Is it worth the cash for Shadow Striking over Transmuting?
Shadow striking applies after 1 hit, rather than 1 round, and overcomes all DR, seemingly including /-, while transmuting affects all DR but /-. Transmuting is cheaper, +2 rather than +3.

You know, I went back and re-read the transmuting property, and I'm not sure it DOESN'T overcome DR/-. I mean, it say that "Once so changed, the weapon overcomes the designated type of damage reduction for 10 rounds." Should we consider "/-" a type of damage reduction, or not? It doesn't say anywhere that it can only take on the alignment- or material-based DR. It might be an abuse of the RAW, but I'm inclined to think that it might overcome ALL the types including /-.

Arbitrarity
2009-02-15, 05:45 PM
You know, I went back and re-read the transmuting property, and I'm not sure it DOESN'T overcome DR/-. I mean, it say that "Once so changed, the weapon overcomes the designated type of damage reduction for 10 rounds." Should we consider "/-" a type of damage reduction, or not? It doesn't say anywhere that it can only take on the alignment- or material-based DR. It might be an abuse of the RAW, but I'm inclined to think that it might overcome ALL the types including /-.

That was my initial reaction to Transmuting as well, actually. I realized though, that nothing overcomes DR/-. So it's a "Irresistable Force vs. Immovable Object", and in D&D, specific trumps general. However, both are pretty general, though I bet the Transmuting "exception" beats the general DR/-. In that case, thanks for the 14K saved.

Avor
2009-02-15, 06:40 PM
I now feel like an professinal asshat

Effects like blindsight, ghost touch and binding can be easily obtained by orher magical items.

Swooper
2009-02-15, 09:09 PM
Like when, exactly?
Like "when you're an übercharger" comes to mind :smalltongue:

Albonor
2009-02-16, 11:38 AM
Ubercharger aside, charging and THEN full attacking should not pose a problem for Transmuting.

Flickerdart
2009-02-16, 11:50 AM
Like "when you're an übercharger" comes to mind :smalltongue:
Why does an Ubercharger care about DR when he's hitting for hundreds of points in damage? Even 15/- won't stop him.

hamishspence
2009-02-16, 01:54 PM
What about one of those multi-hit sneak attacking rogues? 15 points off every attack quickly mounts up.

I think, as written, Mountain Hammer maneuvers overcome DR/epic and DR/-. Not sure about shadow striking, or transmuting.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-16, 04:22 PM
What about one of those multi-hit sneak attacking rogues? 15 points off every attack quickly mounts up.One reason why TWF is terrible, and precision damage scales poorly.
I think, as written, Mountain Hammer maneuvers overcome DR/epic and DR/-. Not sure about shadow striking, or transmuting.Mountain Hammer does, which is one reason why it is awesome.