PDA

View Full Version : A different breed

wippit
2006-09-19, 05:56 AM
Being that I DM games with a few certian individuals that have memorized every rulebook forwards, backwards, and in braille, I try to come up with creatures that are a bit more unique to throw them off. Of course, to appease these rules laywers (or, in laymens terms, to prevent hours of whining), I have to keep these things within the limits of approved d20 rules... otherwise, they just accuse me of trying to make stuff just to kill them. The nerve!

Anyways, figures I'd start up a thread to post some of these things, in case anyone wanted to give them a run in a game. it's all about taking existing creatures and giving them a little something to make them a challenge, and make them uniquie. These guys are a different breed.

----------

Fellslime
Advanced Fiendish Half-Dragon(Black) Black Pudding

Gargantuan Dragon (augmented ooze, extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 30d12+210 (405 hp)
Initiative: -1 (-5 Dex, +4 Improved initiative)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft, fly 40 ft (average)
Armor Class: 12 (-2 size, -4 Dex, +8 natural), touch 3, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +22/+46
Attack: Slam +33 melee (2d6+11 19-20 plus 3d6 acid)
Full Attack: 3 slams +33/+33/+28 melee (2d6+11/2d6+11/3d6+5 19-20 plus 3d6 acid on each hit)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, constrict 3d6+11 plus 3d6 acid, improved grab, smite good, breath weapon
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., split, ooze traits, dark/low-light vision 60 ft, immune to sleep, paralysis, and acid, damage reduction 10/magic, cold/fire resist 10, SR 25,
Saves: Fort +9, Ref -1, Will -2
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 1, Con 28, Int 2, Wis 1, Cha 3
Skills: Climb +34
Feats: Awesome blow, cleave, flyby attack, great cleave, hover, improved bull rush, improved critical(slam), improved initiative, power attack, wingover
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

The mere existance of such a creature has been a great debate among scholars who specilize in outer planes creatures. Most think it just a myth, while a select few believe them to be a product of the twisted mind of Juiblex, Lord of Slime. They would be surprised to know that these lifeforms are more numerous that you might expect, due to the fact that they can simply split in half to reproduce.

Fellslime at first looks like a typical, albeit much larger, black pudding. But looks in the case are definitely deceiving. Because of the dragonish blood running through it, fellslime has intelligence - no more than an animal, but it can think for itself. This allows it to come up with tactics when trying to overcome a foe. It can also manipulate it's body to grow wings, allowing it to fly, something no one would expect of an ooze creature.

Combat
Fellslime has three attack, 2 quick jabs slams and a follow-up larger slam. All 3 attacks cause additional acid damage as well as allow a grapple check.

Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage, and the opponent's armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 24 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a black pudding also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 24 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The pudding's acidic touch deals 21 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Constrict (Ex): A black pudding deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent's clothing and armor take a -4 penalty on Reflex saves against the acid.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a black pudding must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Smite Good (Su): Once per day the creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD total (maximum of +20) against a good foe.

Breath Weapon: Fellslime can breathe a 60 ft line of acid once per day, dealing 6d8 points of acid damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 34) reduces this damage by half.

Split (Ex): Slashing and piercing weapons deal no damage to a fellslime. Instead the creature splits into two identical puddings, each with half of the original's current hit points (round down). A fellslime with 10 hit points or less cannot be further split and dies if reduced to 0 hit points.

Skills: Fellslime has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened

cupkeyk
2006-09-19, 06:08 AM
what a coicidence

They have an ooze dragon on the wizards elite opponents too

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060818a

wippit
2006-09-19, 06:22 AM
Gelatinous template?

Bah...

bosssmiley
2006-09-19, 07:28 AM
I love the image of this little guy schlorking his way across the night sky like some bizarre Lovecraftian molasses.

"The pudding spits acid at you"
*meh*
"...and then sprouts wings and flies off giggling."
*AAAAAAAGH!*

The image of it using a Flyby Splattack or Awesome Blorph is priceless. Shame each half only gets one wing if you split it in half though (*ineffectual flap-flap-flap*). ;D

I hate to be churlish, but can can you apply the half-dragon template to an ooze? ???

Rigeld2
2006-09-19, 07:34 AM
augmented ooze,fly 40 ft (average)
Freaking awesome mental picture. Thxu.

Thomas
2006-09-19, 07:57 AM
I hate to be churlish, but can can you apply the half-dragon template to an ooze? ???

“Half-dragon” is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Oozes have Con scores, so they're living. They're corporeal. They can be half-dragons.

Jarlax
2006-09-19, 08:04 AM
ah i used to have the same problem one of my player a few weeks before the first game mouthed off about how he had memorsied the MM 1-3. having a quitet chuckle i threw at them:

War-Crocks - "dont worry there just animals with a lower CR than us"

Spellwarped White Dragon - "dont worry a white dragon at this level has no SR"

Feral Panthers - "god nooo, how do they have that much damage and that much HP"

Living Acid Arrow - "what is this thing, its not in any MM" (this was well before the recent wizards.com article, my batch were a CR higher)

nowadays i dont even need to put templates on monsters becuase my PCs are afraid to take opponents at face value, just in case that innocent looking troll is not only resistant to magic, it can regenerate more HP or increase its strength with each failed spell.

wippit
2006-09-20, 01:33 AM
Karth the Undying
Mummified Winged Feral Troll Fighter 4

Large Undead (augmented giant)
Hit Dice: 10d12 (65 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +10 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+24
Attack: Claw +20 melee (2d6+12) or slam +20 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack: 2 claws +20/+20 melee (2d6+12) and bite +15 melee (1d6+6) or 2 slams +20 melee (2d6+12) and bite +15 melee (1d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Despair, Improved Grab, Mummy Rot, Pounce, Rend (4d6+18 )
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/-, Darkvision 90 ft., low-light vision, fast healing 3, scent, undead traits, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 16, Con -, Int 1, Wis 17, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Flyby Attack, Hover, Iron Will, Power Attack, Track
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Some things just shouldn't be done, and even the smartest of people can make mistakes. The creation of Karth was such a mistake. A necromancer's whose name has faded from memory managed, though much time and selective breeding, to create what karth was in life. And then, to increase the problem, mummified him while he was still alive. He thought he could control Karth - he thought that the application of his will, and the threat of fire, would force the undead create into willing service.

Within 6 seconds, the necromancer was proved wrong. Karth destoryed his creator without thought (or very much exertion) and fled into the wilds. Acting on instinct alone, he has endured centuries, and woe to the unwary who stumble upon him.

Combat

Karth is a very 'immediate' kind of creature. His favorite tactic is to charge in on the wing and pounce. With a claw/claw/bite/rend attack, half the time the target is dead before it knows what's going on. If things go longer, his regeneration and damage reduction keeps him in the battle a long time.

And the first sign of fire of any time, Karth will immediately flee. He may be dumb, but he knows what will really really REALLY hurt him.

Despair (Su): At the mere sight of a mummy, the viewer must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or be paralyzed with fear for 1d4 rounds. Whether or not the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by the same mummy’s despair ability for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Karth must hit a creature of his size or smaller with his slam or attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If successful, he automatically does rend damage until the grapple is broken.

Mummy Rot (Su): Supernatural disease - any natural attack, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1 minute; damage 1d6 Con and 1d6 Cha. The save DC is Charisma-based.

(See MM 1 for more info on Mummy Rot)

Pounce (Ex): If Karth charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including a rend.

Rend (Ex): If Karth hits with both claw attacks, he latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 4d6+18 points of damage.

wippit
2006-09-20, 03:15 PM
Duergipede
Tauric Duergar/Centipede

Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22 hp)
Initiative:
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 40 ft.
Armor Class:19 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural, +5 chain mail), touch 17, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+
Attack: Spear +5 melee (1d8+1/x3 and poison) or light crossbow +6 ranged (1d8/19-20 and poison)
Full Attack: Spear +5 melee (1d8+1/x3 and poison) or light crossbow +6 ranged (1d8/19-20 and poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison use, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft., immune to paralysis, phantasms, and poison, light sensitivity
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 4
Skills: Climb +10, Hide +6, Listen +3, Move Silently +8, Spot +7
Feats: Dodge, Mobility
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Often Lawful Evil
Advancement: By character class
[B]Level Adjustment: +2

The duergipede is the Duegar's answer to the drider, but unlike the drider, who is made such because of a chosen warrior failing to live up to Lloth's standards, a duergiped is created by choice: the insanty so prevalent in duegar society sometimes drives individuals to see out this twisted existance. They tend to form their own groups within duegar communities, as normal duegar find them a bit repulsive - which is saying a lot for a duegar!

Combat

Duergipede's are ambush predators, hiding along walls and ceilings and striking with poisoned weapons.

Poison (Ex): Injury, fortitude DC 12, initial and secondary damage 1d4 dex. This poison is harvested from large centipede which are kept by the duergipedes

Spell-like abilities: 1/day - enlarge person and invisibility as a wizard of twice the duergipede’s class level (minimum caster level 3rd); these abilities affect only the duergipede and whatever it carries.

Light Sensitivity: Duergipedes are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Skills: A duergipede has +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks, a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently Checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Hide checks. They use their Dexterity modifier on Climb checks, and can always take 10 on Climb checks, even if threatened or distracted.

Hario
2006-09-20, 03:32 PM
was that the dragon you were gonna sick on us Wippit?

wippit
2006-09-20, 03:56 PM
Oh gods no... that was just a weak pathetic little thing compared to the dragon I was gonna sick on you.

fangthane
2006-09-20, 04:35 PM
Karth's description needs work... I just don't see a CR 12 creature taking down its CL 15 creator in a round.

He has no con and therefore loses regeneration.
If he uses natural attacks he gets no secondary (-5) attacks. As a large creature, his slam should be 1d8 rather than 2d6.
Despair is spelled correctly below, but incorrectly in the stat block.
If the save for Mummy Rot is Cha-based, it should either be 15 (half HD) or 20 (full HD) rather than 19.
I'd tend to allow the Grab only on a claw attack though - slams don't really seem as appropriate to the ability, for a troll-based monster whose initial requirement for rend is that not just one, but both claws land as normal melee attacks.

A level 10 wizard could take him down at 700 feet and never break a sweat; a level 10 cleric could pulverise him in several different ways before he reaches melee range. I think 12 might be a bit high for his CR; I'd tend to think closer to 10-ish. If you've read some of my posts though, you know I tend to peg CRs a little lower than some might. :)

wippit
2006-09-20, 05:04 PM
Karth's description needs work... I just don't see a CR 12 creature taking down its CL 15 creator in a round.

He has no con and therefore loses regeneration.
If he uses natural attacks he gets no secondary (-5) attacks. As a large creature, his slam should be 1d8 rather than 2d6.
Despair is spelled correctly below, but incorrectly in the stat block.
If the save for Mummy Rot is Cha-based, it should either be 15 (half HD) or 20 (full HD) rather than 19.
I'd tend to allow the Grab only on a claw attack though - slams don't really seem as appropriate to the ability, for a troll-based monster whose initial requirement for rend is that not just one, but both claws land as normal melee attacks.

A level 10 wizard could take him down at 700 feet and never break a sweat; a level 10 cleric could pulverise him in several different ways before he reaches melee range. I think 12 might be a bit high for his CR; I'd tend to think closer to 10-ish. If you've read some of my posts though, you know I tend to peg CRs a little lower than some might. :)

Corrected saves and spelling. Renegeration exchanged for fast healing 3 from feral template (makes fire an acid a little more bearable), never knew that about regeneration.

As for taking down his creator... that's story fluff, it doesn't have to be balanced... he could've hit him from behind on a surprise attack, for example. necromancers don't have many HP.

fangthane
2006-09-20, 05:24 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong - he could take the guy down... I just don't see a level 15 necromancer getting that careless :)

Now, 12 seconds, on the other hand... that's at least 3 claws and a rend, so bye-bye Mr caster... :)

Fast healing works nicely - also gives him a good excuse to fly off at max speed if he gets fireballed (assuming he survives :) )

You still need to fix the DC on the Mummy Rot :)

Actually, another thing I just noticed - his rend is listed as 4d6+18 in the stat block, but 2d6+18 below in the feature description