PDA

View Full Version : How to determine your abilities?

Lupy
2009-02-15, 10:00 PM
We've all seen those "Stat yourself" threads before. My point is that there is really no set way to determine your "real life" ability scores.

My thoughts so far are:

INT - IQ divided by ten
STR - Pushups in a minute divided by 10
CON - No idea
CHA - Millihelens perhaps? It seems a matter of opinion to me. (I can give excellent speeches but I've never had a girlfriend. Please keep in mind that I'm only a 'girl' for GB week.)
DEX - Again, no idea.
WIS - Still nothing.

LordZarth
2009-02-15, 10:22 PM
We've all seen those "Stat yourself" threads before. My point is that there is really no set way to determine your "real life" ability scores.

My thoughts so far are:

INT - IQ divided by ten
CON - No idea
CHA - Millihelens perhaps? It seems a matter of opinion to me. (I can give excellent speeches but I've never had a girlfriend. Please keep in mind that I'm only a 'girl' for GB week.)
DEX - Again, no idea.
WIS - Still nothing.

INT--Fun, but doesn't scale properly. Best method I've seen without calculus, but: 10 and 11 work well as average (100-110). However, 5 INT = IQ 50? No... 18 INT = 180? Er... HALP! Supergenius!

STR--Bad number. 1 pushup per second = STR 6.

CON--Something based on times sick? Endurance?

CHA--Lol.

DEX--Who knows.

WIS--Do we even have a good WIS definition ? :)

StoryKeeper
2009-02-15, 10:30 PM
Tread carefully, young statomancer. It is rumored that those few who have succesfully calculated their statistics have merged with the worlds they statted themselves in... actually, sounds like fun. Tell me how this works out for ya!

RTGoodman
2009-02-15, 11:05 PM
Do a Google search for "Stat Yourself" or something like that with the added "site:giantitp.com" function added in, and I think you'll find an old thread where they had a very complicated, but relatively well-received, formula for figuring out your Int.

Str is easy - look up a carry capacity table in the SRD/PHB and go from there.

For Dex, you might see about hitting a target of a certain size with a dart, or something like that.

For Con, you just sort of have to guess it, unless you want to figure it out based on the drowning rules or something. :smalltongue:

elliott20
2009-02-15, 11:07 PM
I eagerly await the torrent of posters who will proceed to give themselves 14+'s in every stat with flimsy justifications like "I study calculus therefore I get a 16 int, and people I know like me so I get an 18 cha", followed by the torrent of posters who will protest saying "dude, you totally don't have an 18 int", followed by posters reacting by saying "you're just jealous".

StoryKeeper
2009-02-15, 11:11 PM
I eagerly await the torrent of posters who will proceed to give themselves 14+'s in every stat with flimsy justifications like "I study calculus therefore I get a 16 int, and people I know like me so I get an 18 cha", followed by the torrent of posters who will protest saying "dude, you totally don't have an 18 int", followed by posters reacting by saying "you're just jealous".

Yes, I too look forward to such ridiculous claims. I can tell that I'm the only one here with 14+ in every stat. How do I know? I'm also one of the few with a relatively high WIS score. [/attempt at humor]

Douglas
2009-02-15, 11:15 PM
Hey now, I have quite an array of test results and awards in academic competitions, some of them at the national (USA) level, to back up my claim of 18 int (btw, the formula for that is int = IQ/5 - 10, approximately).:smallbiggrin:

Strength and constitution, not so much.:smallannoyed:

Now if only D&D magic were real I'd be all set to become the best batman wizard EVAR!!1!1!:smalltongue:

elliott20
2009-02-15, 11:16 PM
bah, everyone knows that your WIS score is really just the number of Myspace friends you have divided by 20, making Tila Tequila the wisest person in existence. (wow, that's a scary thought)

elliott20
2009-02-15, 11:18 PM
Hey now, I have quite an array of test results and awards in academic competitions, some of them at the national (USA) level, to back up my claim of 18 int (btw, the formula for that is int = IQ/5 - 10, approximately).:smallbiggrin:

Strength and constitution, not so much.:smallannoyed:

well, INT is one of the few that we actually have large swaths of research data to back up such claims, and as such I tend to have less issues with. (let's not get into the whole debate about IQ being the entirety of intelligence issue)

But when people start talking about their OTHER stats, you can clearly see stat inflation all over the place.

snoopy13a
2009-02-15, 11:39 PM
I like basing one's ability score on 3d6 percentile

Roll Percentile
3 0 - 0.4629%
4 0.4629-1.8518%
5 1.8518-4.6296%
6 4.6296-9.2592%
7 9.2592-16.2037%
8 16.2037-25.9259%
9 25.9259-37.5000%
10 37.5-50.0000%
11 50.0-62.5000%
12 62.5-74.0740%
13 74.0740-83.7962%
14 83.7962-90.7407%
15 90.7407-95.3703%
16 95.3703-98.1481%
17 98.1481-99.5370%
18 99.5370-100.0000%

So, if you score at the 97th percentile on an IQ test, you would have an Intelligence score of 16. If you are stronger than 60% of the population, you have a strength of 11. If 75% of people are wiser than you, you have a Wisdom of 8.

Dyllan
2009-02-15, 11:46 PM
I like basing one's ability score on 3d6 percentile...

...So, if you score at the 97th percentile on an IQ test, you would have an Intelligence score of 16. If you are stronger than 60% of the population, you have a strength of 11. If 75% of people are wiser than you, you have a Wisdom of 8.

But, doesn't that assume that we're all below level 4 and haven't had a chance to raise any stats yet?

elliott20
2009-02-15, 11:48 PM
it also assumes that you can even measure how many percentage of the population is stronger, wiser, and faster than you.

Flickerdart
2009-02-15, 11:53 PM
I like basing one's ability score on 3d6 percentile

Roll Percentile
3 0 - 0.4629%
4 0.4629-1.8518%
5 1.8518-4.6296%
6 4.6296-9.2592%
7 9.2592-16.2037%
8 16.2037-25.9259%
9 25.9259-37.5000%
10 37.5-50.0000%
11 50.0-62.5000%
12 62.5-74.0740%
13 74.0740-83.7962%
14 83.7962-90.7407%
15 90.7407-95.3703%
16 95.3703-98.1481%
17 98.1481-99.5370%
18 99.5370-100.0000%

So, if you score at the 97th percentile on an IQ test, you would have an Intelligence score of 16. If you are stronger than 60% of the population, you have a strength of 11. If 75% of people are wiser than you, you have a Wisdom of 8.
That seems most reasonable, but you still can't measure what constitutes being "wiser", especially when you throw in Spot and Listen.

snoopy13a
2009-02-16, 12:04 AM
That seems most reasonable, but you still can't measure what constitutes being "wiser", especially when you throw in Spot and Listen.

I go by Socrates. To paraphase: I know that I am not wise. Therefore, I am the wisest of all :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2009-02-16, 12:09 AM
I go by Socrates. To paraphase: I know that I am not wise. Therefore, I am the wisest of all :smallbiggrin:
That's like using Murphy's Law and being prepared for the worst. It doesn't work: something worse will inevitably happen that ruins your plans!

Dyllan
2009-02-16, 12:12 AM

Yeah, Socrates also only plays with the SRD, you know:

A multitude of books distracts the mind. - Socrates

RTGoodman
2009-02-16, 12:13 AM
Whenever these come up, to stave off that problem, I always feel like we should just use the Elite Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and be happy with it. With that I'd probably have:

Str 10
Dex 8
Con 13
Int 15
Wis 12
Cha 14

That doesn't really work, though, because I think my Con and maybe Wis are maybe lower, and I think my Dex is probably closer to average even though it's probably my lowest score. Eh, close enough, though, I guess.

XenoGeno
2009-02-16, 12:15 AM
btw, the formula for that is int = IQ/5 - 10, approximately

Really? Sweet, 22 int!

Yeah, I think your formula needs a bit of work... :smallamused:

Dyllan
2009-02-16, 12:25 AM
Whenever these come up, to stave off that problem, I always feel like we should just use the Elite Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and be happy with it. With that I'd probably have:

Str 10
Dex 8
Con 13
Int 15
Wis 12
Cha 14

That doesn't really work, though, because I think my Con and maybe Wis are maybe lower, and I think my Dex is probably closer to average even though it's probably my lowest score. Eh, close enough, though, I guess.

Have you considered the possibility that you're an NPC and have the standard array? It would explain the Con and Wis...

RTGoodman
2009-02-16, 12:30 AM
Oh, yeah, I'm definitely an NPC (I'm probably an Expert 2 or thereabouts), but I've got a name so I think I get to use the Elite Array rather than straight 10s and 11s like those nameless mooks. :smallwink:

The Minx
2009-02-16, 12:37 AM

My thoughts so far are:

INT - IQ divided by ten
CON - No idea
DEX - Again, no idea.
WIS - Still nothing.

In the most recent one of these, I provided some math that showed that the best formula for Int was to assume that +1 Int ~ +5 IQ, since that way the standard deviation is conserved when converting between IQ and Int, given you use a standard 3d6 roll for the ability score. Thus, someone with Int 18 would have IQ 140, and so on (I can't remember the exact conversion, but that was approximately it). The only quibble was that the extreme end of the bell curve was cut off, so very high IQs are not represented, but these are such a tiny percentage of the population that it's not much of an issue.

Douglas
2009-02-16, 12:45 AM
Really? Sweet, 22 int!

Yeah, I think your formula needs a bit of work... :smallamused:
You have 160 IQ? Did this, by any chance, come from one of those online IQ tests with banner ads all over the place?

herrhauptmann
2009-02-16, 12:53 AM
bah, everyone knows that your WIS score is really just the number of Myspace friends you have divided by 20, making Tila Tequila the wisest person in existence. (wow, that's a scary thought)

For wisdom(using myspace): I figure the start of that calculation is more like #friends that you know minus the number of friends you don't know or haven't talked to for more than 5 years before you approved them.

For strength, I'd rather dig out the AD&D handbook and see where I match up in bench press and total weight carried, etc. I've tried using the 3rd edition carrying capacity, but on that chart, I'm either a str 12-14 or so (by how easily I can carry different weights), or a str 22 (by how heavy some things have been that I've had to drag)

Con, that's tough to say. I don't get the flu or other respiratory problems (none in 7 years), but my intestinal tract gets screwed up regularly (anthrax vaccine, smallpox vaccine, malaria medicine, milk etc)

Int: I like the percentile idea.
However, you have to ask which test you're using, because different tests are biased in different directions. ex: The army IQ test in WW1 was biased towards uppermiddle class city dwellers being average. Which was a problem since majority of the recruits were farm kids and may never have been exposed to half the things on the test.
If you look at the SAT exam, children these days are being prepped for parts of the test in 5th and 6th grade. So they'll be getting artificially high scores. (Most anyway, some won't get different scores no matter how often they go to prep classes. They're just that smart or stupid)

Cha: How often are your friends willing to drop everything to bail you out of jail, or out of a fight?

Wis: How often are you willing to do the same for a friend? Because they'll be less likely to help you if you refuse to help them? OR. Something regarding how often you fall for a con game of some sort?

Draz74
2009-02-16, 01:57 AM
WIS = (18) - (number of times you've posted in one of these threads) :smallwink:

Of course Edition Wars, Monk Wars, Paladin Falling Wars, and any thread with "Miko" in the title also qualify.

Kiero
2009-02-16, 05:19 AM

Actually, the usual way seems to be a load of people with crap physical stats, but uncommonly high intelligence.

This is a futile, pointless exercise, and anything involving IQ is bogus. Anything involving just a single measure is pretty much going to be wrong.

Chineselegolas
2009-02-16, 06:03 AM
Strength - Around average, maybe a 12
Dexterity - If you go by my balance and coordination, 16-17. Flexibility... 6
Contitution - High. Only rarely get sick, and push through when I should stop with ease. Or I have dipped in many classes with good fort saves...
Intellignce - 16-17 range. I'm smart. But oh boy am I lazy so somewhat negated...
Wisdom - Bloody little voice... I listen to it. 14-15
Charisma - Ah, the tricky stat. Appearance and perceived ability, 16-17.
Actual ability to talk to people and speeches and stuff... 7-8 (I've been asked out by girls more times than I've asked them out... And an equal number of guys have asked me out as I've asked girls out)

tgva8889
2009-02-16, 06:07 AM
Strength is easiest, and can probably be done by carrying capacity.

You could test Constitution by how long you can hold your breath under water. SRD says:

Any character can hold her breath for a number of rounds equal to twice her Constitution score. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round in order to continue holding her breath. Each round, the DC increases by 1.

Assuming we do not try to hold our breath longer than feels comfortable, if you take the amount of time in seconds and divide it by 6, it should be pretty close to your Constitution score. Assuming no strenuous activity, you shouldn't be in the situation where you would be making the DC 10 Constitution check anyways if you're just trying to see what your Con. score is.

Dexterity...I don't really know about this one. Assuming most human beings are either Commoners or Experts of the first level, if you can find a friend who is not in a line of work that they would be considered a Warrior, nor have they been in any particular business to be greater than first level, have them find their Strength score, then attempt to hit you with something a certain number of times. This, based on what their chance to hit should be (which should be something like -4 + Strength bonus) should give you an estimated AC. If you subtract 10, you'll get a Dexterity bonus, which can be used to guess at a Dexterity score. Of course, you'll have to not be wearing any real armor when you do this, and you can't use any shields. :smallbiggrin: This test is, however, completely random and only leads to an "experimental Dexterity", not a "real Dexterity".

Intelligence...if you can find an equation that works then go to town. There's lots of ways to measure a person's intelligence that are used in real-world, so if you combine a bunch of them I'm sure you can come up with something in theory. I'm probably not intelligent enough or knowledgeable in the proper fields to suggest such a combination, but someone else might be.

Wisdom...heck, I don't completely understand this stat completely even under the D&D description, to be honest. I can't suggest anything about it. Though it amuses me to no end that based on D&D rules, age actually makes you better with your Listen and Spot checks. Heh.

Charisma is probably based on the way you appear to the average person, unaffected by your ability to talk with them (and therefore influence them with Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate, in which you could theoretically have gained a rank or two). No way for me to think of measuring this, though.

Dixieboy
2009-02-16, 06:12 AM
INT--Fun, but doesn't scale properly. Best method I've seen without calculus, but: 10 and 11 work well as average (100-110). However, 5 INT = IQ 50? No... 18 INT = 180? Er... HALP! Supergenius!

STR--Bad number. 1 pushup per second = STR 6.

CON--Something based on times sick? Endurance?

CHA--Lol.

DEX--Who knows.

WIS--Do we even have a good WIS definition ? :)180 iq isn't a super genius, depending on the test i have gotten from 75-162
Which makes me either 8 or 16, and trust while i do speak the amount of language that would be appropriate i am not fluent in them
Nor am i nearly skilled enough
Nor would i ever be able to grasp the most basic of enchantments, i don't even get quantum physics

A person with int 18 is at the peak of human performance, capable of understanding the very foundation of the world and tangle with it as he damn well pleases. (Wizard)
NO ONE can roleplay a 18 int guy properly, he is simply too smart, he is the kind of guy who spoke greek before he learned to ride a bike, which he did at the age of 4 :smallannoyed:

Malacode
2009-02-16, 06:13 AM
Int: Despite there being a number of methods that supposedly work for this (I think INT has the most of any stat, actually), none of them are accurate at all. I very much doubt my INT is 26, despite that the result of IQ/5-10. INT 18 is also pretty high for me, with the equation first suggested (IQ/10). Both of these results are great for a mid level wizard, and I'm probably only a first level expert. Despite what others say, INT is probably going to be the hardest to work out.

Dogmantra
2009-02-16, 06:57 AM
Well, I've done nearly all of the formulae relating to INT, and apparently I'm somewhere between 15 (148/10) and 19 ([148/5]-10) but the problem I see with using IQ is that not only can no-one agree on a single consistent formula to use (as demonstrated above) but INT in D&D is absolute, as demonstrated by the aging bonuses: the older you get, the higher your INT; however, IQ scales with age, because it's [i]supposed[i] to be consistent throughout your entire life. Thus I propose a new formula: calculate percentage scores for every test/exam you sat in the past year, then take the mean and divide by 10, then add 8. If you haven't sat any tests/exams in the past year, then that obviously means you're too stupid :P

Spiryt
2009-02-16, 07:40 AM
Strength is easiest, and can probably be done by carrying capacity.

No. You can be able to carry a lot of stuff and still don't be able to hit something hard. Or contrary. There's difference between static strenght and dynamic strenght, between strenght of different body parts...

And with other stats it gets more complicated.

Generally I'm going to be boring and say that it's impossible to put real life human capabilities under 6 simple D&D categories. Too many contradictions and other things.

pingcode20
2009-02-16, 08:01 AM
Here's a fair one: 5*sin(root(IQ/100)^D))+13, with IQ being your IQ and D being your Day of Birth (1-31).

Delightfully meaninglessly arbitrary.

---

Here's a few more-or-less arbitrary methods of figuring out your stats as usable in a DnD game.

STR - (Log(P)-1)*5+8, where P=number of push-ups you can do without a break. Probably hopelessly impractical, so a guesstimate based off a couple of minutes' work would probably be best. Picking up stuff works, too.
DEX - Some sort of catching exercise would probably work. 50 good throws at irregular intervals, linear progression using 5-catch ranges, with rounding. Maybe bell-curve it, if you like.
CON - Climb Everest, whoever makes it all the way has an 18. :smalltongue:. To be more serious, the Beep Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beep_test) would probably be best here. Centre it based on group ability.
INT - If you've got any standardised test results, use those combined with the bell curve posted earlier. It's really the easiest way. If not, just do the IQ/10 thingy for expediency.
WIS - If enlightenment has been reached, 18. Otherwise, grab a stack of Where's Wallys or I-Spys and time yourself to see how fast you can finish some yardstick amount. Justification here is that Wisdom mostly covers perception, and finishing I-Spy pages is something fairly easily quantifiable.
CHA - Tell your buddies what you think you should have, and vote on it.

None of these are at all perfect, but if you're set on it, then these should work. If there's any that are impractical to do, use the Charisma method instead.

XenoGeno
2009-02-16, 12:30 PM
You have 160 IQ? Did this, by any chance, come from one of those online IQ tests with banner ads all over the place?

Actually, no, this was the real deal. Granted, it was a couple of years ago and I've since killed my brain with massive amounts of vidja games, so I'd reckon I'm closer to 80 now.:smalltongue:

Seriously though, I always score lower on those online tests then I did on the real one. The day I got my tests results back, I went online to try one of them, and got about a 130.:smallconfused:

Tengu_temp
2009-02-16, 12:51 PM
180 iq isn't a super genius

Wrong. If you go with a credible non-crappy IQ test, like MENSA's, then you pretty much have to be a super genius to score that high.

A person with int 18 is at the peak of human performance, capable of understanding the very foundation of the world and tangle with it as he damn well pleases. (Wizard)
NO ONE can roleplay a 18 int guy properly, he is simply too smart, he is the kind of guy who spoke greek before he learned to ride a bike, which he did at the age of 4 :smallannoyed:

Also wrong. Non-adventurers roll 3d6 for each stat. This means one in 216 people has this "peak of human performance" intelligence. That's 0.46% of the whole human population - I am sure the percentage of super-geniuses is way lower than that.

Also, I don't think if there is a direct correlation between IQ and DND Intelligence, as the latter measures different things than the former.

To answer the OP - DND stats put many different human potentials together into one ability score (insight and perception go into Wisdom, manual dexterity and agility go into Dexterity...) and do not even consider some of them (all humans move with the same speed without specific training) - it's all greatly simplified. It's possible to more-or-less reliably stat out people in systems that actually mention what different values of their stats would mean in real life (like WoD or BESM), but in DND this is the case with Strength only.

LordZarth
2009-02-16, 01:22 PM
May I point out that we're commoners? ALL of our stats are almost certainly within the 8-13 range, most probably in 10 and 11.

Mine, by that: STR 9, DEX 10, CON 10, INT 13 or 14, WIS 11, CHA 14.
Realistically, my 14s are probably 13s and my 9 a 10.

By adventurer statting:

STR 9 or 8
DEX 10 or 9
CON 10 or 11
INT 16 or 17
WIS 11 or 12
CHA 18

snoopy13a
2009-02-16, 01:42 PM
Ok, I'll stat myself:

Strength: 18 (I can benchpress 400 ounces)
Dexterity: 18 (I have a blackbelt that I wear with my pants
Constitution: 18 (I've never been sick this week
Wisdom: 18 (Using the Socratic philosophy of not being wise, I'm the most wise)
Intelligence: 18 (according to my secret formula shoe size X2
Charisma: 18 (I am more successful with the ladies than famous actors Neil Patrick Harris and Sir Ian McKellen combined

Tengu_temp
2009-02-16, 02:03 PM
May I point out that we're commoners? ALL of our stats are almost certainly within the 8-13 range, most probably in 10 and 11.

Not really - Commoner is a class for uneducated, poor people, if you have some level of education you're probably an Expert. As for the stats, 10-11 is completely average - most people have at least 12-13 in the ability score that's primarily needed for their chosen occupation. I'd say that most competent adults are built closer to the Elite Array than anything.

hamishspence
2009-02-16, 02:07 PM
i'd agree for modern world (D20 Modern does elite array for everyone), but for mediaval/renaissance, more the Standard array, with 13 as best stat- Cityscape uses this for members of NPC classes- and PC classes like Rogue or Fighter- a typical 1st level city thief is only Dex 13.