PDA

View Full Version : New Dm looking for advice

merfolkotpt
2009-02-15, 11:35 PM
Hey there,
So I am a long time (read middling 2nd edition player) and I finally decided to give DMing a go since I have a new group and noone really knows how. I was wondering about any advice, this is going to be in 3.5, and I have a pretty good grasp of what is break-able, and not going to be allowed as well as a pretty extensive campaign idea put together, but what else ought I do?

BRC
2009-02-15, 11:39 PM
Describe your group. There are very few things a DM can do that is always Bad, just things that are bad for the given group. Some groups may need you to hold their hand every step of the way, and may stand around in confusion if you havn't painted what to do next on a wall in neon orange. Others may need nothing more than a description of a town and the surrounding contryside to come up with fifteen different adventure plots.

merfolkotpt
2009-02-15, 11:54 PM
Sorry,
Yeah my group actually haven't been playing together that long. We also have 2 pretty serious people and 1-2 totally new person. The serious guys have played before one in a "power gamer" setting, he will probably have to be pretty tightly leashed, the other played in a pretty heavy and involved RP setting. The other guys who may join us (the -2 from above) has never played but is big into improv which seems like it would be good for the immersive heavy RP setting that I am going for but i don't know.

BRC
2009-02-15, 11:58 PM
Okay, keep an eye on that powergamer, but remember, powergaming is only a problem if it bothers the other players. If the Powergamer makes some multiclassed monstrosity that can wipe out anything that bleeds, burns, or is inconvienenced by being reduced to a fine red mist, but the other players don't mind, then let them be. If the other players are bothered because he dominates every encounter, then start bringing down the hammer.

Also, be sure the Powergamer understands that this will be a heavy-RP Campaign, being a powergamer dosn't mean he can't RP, but it may happen.

SoD
2009-02-16, 12:10 AM
Okay, keep an eye on that powergamer, but remember, powergaming is only a problem if it bothers the other players. If the Powergamer makes some multiclassed monstrosity that can wipe out anything that bleeds, burns, or is inconvienenced by being reduced to a fine red mist, but the other players don't mind, then let them be. If the other players are bothered because he dominates every encounter, then start bringing down the hammer.

Also, be sure the Powergamer understands that this will be a heavy-RP Campaign, being a powergamer dosn't mean he can't RP, but it may happen.

Boldened bit is what I'm focusing on; it is also a problem if it bothers the DM. I'm currently DMing a group, and there's one player who is a powergamer. I allowed 3e/3.5e and he has created everything he can and has one-shotted an ogre. At level 1. My problem is that anything which has HP good enough to go against him and not get killed in one round, can probably kill him in one round. Anything which is a fair fight for him will decimate the other players. And his backup character...is immune to damage. And death effects. And pretty much everything.

Although my campaign is roleplaying/combat, with a bit more emphasis on the former, I try to design my encounters to be challenging or easy for the entire party.

Put simply, remember what I didn't; you're the DM. You have the power to just. Say. No. Remember, if you won't talk to your gamers about powergaming, who will? Tell him that it's not going to be massively combat orentated, and you would rather he pulled back on the powergaming, rather than reigning him in and putting a mark of justice on him once the campaign has started.

BRC
2009-02-16, 12:11 AM
Boldened bit is what I'm focusing on; it is also a problem if it bothers the DM. I'm currently DMing a group, and there's one player who is a powergamer. I allowed 3e/3.5e and he has created everything he can and has one-shotted an ogre. At level 1. My problem is that anything which has HP good enough to go against him and not get killed in one round, can probably kill him in one round. Anything which is a fair fight for him will decimate the other players. And his backup character...is immune to damage. And death effects. And pretty much everything.

Although my campaign is roleplaying/combat, with a bit more emphasis on the former, I try to design my encounters to be challenging or easy for the entire party.

Put simply, remember what I didn't; you're the DM. You have the power to just. Say. No. Remember, if you won't talk to your gamers about powergaming, who will? Tell him that it's not going to be massively combat orentated, and you would rather he pulled back on the powergaming, rather than reigning him in and putting a mark of justice on him once the campaign has started.
Yeah, sorry, I should have said "Powergaming is only a problem if it bothers the rest of the group", which includes the DM.

Narmoth
2009-02-16, 02:25 AM
SoD: What about sending 6 orcs in stead of one ogre? The powergamer would take out 1 or 2 of the the first round, and the rest of take out 1. Then he just kills one more orc rather than doing the whole encounter alone, and everybody are happy.

BRC
2009-02-16, 02:29 AM
Above all, remember this, DnD is a game. And the purpose of Games is to have fun, so whatever makes the gaming experience more enjoyable. If this means ignoring the Attack of Opprotunity rules because nobody can remember them and they just get in the way, go right ahead.

Prometheus
2009-02-16, 05:30 PM
If you just search these forums you will come up with a dozen of threads giving advice to DMs- how to make plot hooks, how to deal with problem players, and the simple mechanics of the game. If anything feels wrong, don't be afraid to come running back here for advice - we're usually pretty good about it.

Running games are usually about a balance between sandboxing enough to give the players input into the storyline and railroading enough to give the players a coherent plot. In general you want to players to be able to make a difference and also to be able to try everything. In addition, you want to be able to have memorable NPCs, locations, and events.