PDA

View Full Version : Adopted Progeny

Spiky
2009-02-16, 03:24 PM
Which is it? Nevermind the gender/sex of the munchkins, are they adoptive or progenitive?

I can't tell if that is a vocab mistake by the clearly overwhelmed V, or yet another ambiguity. But as an ambiguity, it seems foolish. I'm thinking vocab.

Zevox
2009-02-16, 03:40 PM
V was simply using progeny as a synonym for children.

Zevox

Spiky
2009-02-16, 03:58 PM
Which V does not do. Kinda my point.

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-16, 05:05 PM
*ahem* They are legally his children, but they are adopted. If I adopted a child, I'd refer to them as "my" child after a while also.

King of Nowhere
2009-02-16, 07:20 PM
I wonder if there is another subtle meaning for "adopted". I'm almost sure it can be used to say something else (with a bit of stretching), and considering V's speech pattern, it could be the case.
Anyway, I believe Rich put it to screw with us. That's why I think it can have another meaning.
SO... MANY... QUESTIONS!!!

Optimystik
2009-02-16, 08:25 PM
Which V does not do. Kinda my point.

He doesn't? When else has he referred to his children?

Spiky
2009-02-16, 08:41 PM
Shadow;5784635']*ahem* They are legally his children, but they are adopted. If I adopted a child, I'd refer to them as "my" child after a while also.

He doesn't? When else has he referred to his children?
Sorry, I think we're on the wrong page, here.

-gen (in progeny) is derived from a word that essentially means "created" or "comes out from". Hence, natural born children. That is effectively an antonym of adopted in this context. "Children" covers everything, yes. V did not say that.

V is not in the habit of such oxymoronic commentary. It detracts from his sesquipedalianism.

Cizak
2009-02-17, 08:44 AM
Maybye my english is failing me, but are you saying that V's children aren't natural?

Wraithfighter
2009-02-17, 09:41 AM
When Rich does V's dialog, he loves throwing long, obscure words in as a sort of hint that "This guy is really freaking smart".

Occasionally he the words won't be totally accurate. It happens. "Progeny" was no doubt just being used as a unnecessary synonym for "Children".

Then again, maybe V's so tired he's using words poorly. Happens to lots of people.

Silverraptor
2009-02-17, 05:37 PM
Or...
I'm just putting this out there. But there was a theroy that V's mate had the children before V became married.

But it could be the other way around. "My Adopted Progeny" meaning his children were adopted by his/her mate.

Think about it.
It could work.

David Argall
2009-02-17, 06:03 PM
While V loves to use more words than needed, the use of adopted here makes it about certain they are not children of V's blood.

My guess is the kids are those of Parent, but beyond that, we are getting quite speculative.

NerfTW
2009-02-18, 01:32 PM
I'm going with a simple vocab mistake on the part of Rich.

hamishspence
2009-02-18, 01:46 PM
"Progenitor" can mean grandparent or even earlier, as well as parent- if children were orphaned their grandparent might adopt them.

However I'm not sure if Progeny can be used same way- for descendants as well as children.

In any case- given long maturation period, it would be implausible for V to be their grandparent: not old enough.

still- it does show that might be possible to have "adopted progeny"

[TS] Shadow
2009-02-18, 01:58 PM
Sorry, I think we're on the wrong page, here.

-gen (in progeny) is derived from a word that essentially means "created" or "comes out from". Hence, natural born children. That is effectively an antonym of adopted in this context. "Children" covers everything, yes. V did not say that.

V is not in the habit of such oxymoronic commentary. It detracts from his sesquipedalianism.

Does everything with V have to be literal? If I had a kid, adopted or not, I'd consider him or her MY child. Progeny is an endearment term, meaning he's as much their father as the biological one. He FEELS like he's their real dad, even if he isn't.

Zherog
2009-02-18, 02:10 PM
I'm going with a simple vocab mistake on the part of Rich.

I'm not.

a descendant or offspring, as a child, plant, or animal.

source link (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/progeny)

V is simply saying his "adopted descendant," to use the term in the definition.

Shadow']If I had a kid, adopted or not, I'd consider him or her MY child.

Indeed. I have a cousin who is adopted. He's my cousin, no different to me than any of my other cousins.

hamishspence
2009-02-18, 02:13 PM
Thats what I said- but I also pointed out the time problem. V's 130, the kids are 26 and still toddlers- is there enough time for them to be V's grandchildren?

Gamiress
2009-02-18, 02:43 PM
Thats what I said- but I also pointed out the time problem. V's 130, the kids are 26 and still toddlers- is there enough time for them to be V's grandchildren?

Exactly. Heck, for them to even be V's biological children would require that V got married and had children (not necessarily in that order) VERY young. Even at 130-ish, V is pretty young as far as Elves go.

hamishspence
2009-02-18, 02:47 PM
100 is apparently normal marrying and childbearing age in Races of the Wild, though it has elves physically mature much earlier than OOTS.

100 seems reasonable for OOTS- in Origin V's interest in wizardry appears to start at 19. Even with a long tutelage, its not majorly early.

Gamiress
2009-02-18, 03:32 PM
I tend to ignore Races of the Wild, because a lot of it just seems ridiculous to me. Given that Elves mature very slowly in OotS, I think that Rich isn't considering it either.

Vaarsuvius being interested in wizardry at 19, as far as OotS counts things, is like a three year old with a favourite toy fire truck growing up to be a fire fighter.

hamishspence
2009-02-18, 03:38 PM
maybe, but in D&D novels, elves in general and drow in particular seem to follow its guidelines for aging. Elaine Cuningham and R. A. Salvatore both show drow maturing in their twenties.

That said- V is shown part-way through training at 43, and was trained for 60 years, according to Origin of PCs.

Spiky
2009-02-18, 11:32 PM
"Progenitor" can mean grandparent or even earlier, as well as parent- if children were orphaned their grandparent might adopt them.

However I'm not sure if Progeny can be used same way- for descendants as well as children.
Good idea, that would fit! And yes, it can refer to any level of descendants, not direct children. But as posted above, very doubtful they could be grandchild level at V's age. Although.....there was a news story this week about a boy (13) and girl (15) having a kid.

Originally Posted by dictionary.com, 1st definition
a descendant or offspring, as a child, plant, or animal.

V is simply saying his "adopted descendant," to use the term in the definition.

Indeed. I have a cousin who is adopted. He's my cousin, no different to me than any of my other cousins.
You may be misunderstanding that definition. It doesn't mean an adopted animal (like a pet) can be YOUR progeny, but rather the progeny of the parent animal. It is simply pointing out that the word can apply equally to plants and animals.

And "adopted descendant" is also an oxymoron, in the exact same way that "adopted progeny" is such. Except maybe in the grandparent case.

It's fine that the kids are obviously no different to V (in terms of love, affection, etc) whether they are adopted or progeny. My original post has nothing to do with that. Frankly, I don't see why so many are reading that into my words. Whatever assumptions being made should be dropped, before they become offensive.

RosesOnConcrete
2009-02-19, 02:38 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is just another one of the Giant's ways of screwing with us? We don't know if the kids are male/female, we don't know what gender V and hir mate are, we don't know if V's mate is the same or different gender as V (adoption doesn't require complementary "bits", after all), and we don't know if there's any blood relation among any of these people. The only thing we know is that they consider themselves a family, and whether the Giant is messing with our expectations on that line is just another subject for debate. I find it kinda funny, to be honest.

*gets way too wordy and silly at 12:30 AM*