PDA

View Full Version : Divination Metamagic Spells

Lysander
2006-09-18, 09:51 PM
Here's an idea for a metamagic spell of the divination school. It modify the results of your spells based on information that's magically obtained.

Friendly Fire
Sor/Wiz 3
V, S
Divination
Casting Time: One second
Target: Self
Duration: 2 minutes per caster level

While enchanted any harmful spells you cast with the exception of area of effect spells will automatically fizzle if cast on a ally. This will not allow your magic to harm allies even if they are disguised or invisible and you have no method of knowing their identity. The caster can dismiss the spell at any time.

Any comments or ideas for other divination metamagic?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-18, 11:43 PM
I dunno about balance (i'm no good at judging that) but it seems more like abjuration to me.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-19, 07:07 AM
It divines your allies in order to abjour your effects hitting them.

It's a bit of both, honestly. Just watch out for Nondetection.

Edit:
Umm... Casting Time: 1 second isn't particularly well defined in terms of game mechanics. Okay, so I want to cast this in the middle of combat; 1 full round is six seconds; in which time, you get a standard, a move, however many free actions the DM deems is reasonable, and a swift action. How does a 1 second casting time fit in there? Can I still cast a standard action spell? Can I still take a Move action? Can I still cast a Swift action spell? All three? Some combination? Do I still get my free actions?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-19, 10:31 AM
Try this:

Friendly Fire
Divination/Abjuration
Sor/Wiz 3
V, S
Casting Time: Swift action
Target: Self
Duration: 2 minutes per caster level (D)

While this spell is in effect, any harmful spells you cast (with the exception of area of effect spells) will automatically fail if cast on a ally. This spell failure does not consume any spell slots. Your magic cannot harm allies even if they are disguised or invisible and you have no method of knowing their identity.

Lysander
2006-09-19, 08:14 PM
That works quite nicely.