Fluffawumps
tiny magical beast
hit dice 20d10+98 (208)
initiative +4
speed: 20 ft.
armor class: 18
base attack/ grapple: +14/+5
attack: 1 slam (1d3-1) or tongue (1-1)
full attack: 1 slam (1d3-1) or tongue (1-1)
space/reach: 2 1/2 ft./0ft.
special attacks: trample.
Special qualities: damage absorption, immune to sneak attacks
saving throws: fort +12 ref +13 will +4
abilities: 8 Str, 20 Dex, 19 Con, 2 Int, 11 Wis, 17 Cha
skills: Perform (dance) +11, Jump +8
feats: improved overrun (b) improved toughness (x3), endurance, diehard.
Environment: temperate planes
organization: solitary or flumph (2-43)
challenge rating: 9
treasures: standard
alignment: always neutral
advancement: 15-28 HD (tiny)
level adjustment: -

A fluffy yellow ball bounds up to you. It seems to be an alive and a very fun loving happy kind of creature. As it stops for you to pet, the creature suddenly strikes up at your face.

Flufawumps were created by a bored wizard who wanted to create a creature that had fed on the damage of the errant adventuring parties that keep bothering him. Once a Fluffawump has fed on enough damage it finds another Fluffawump to mate with.

COMBAT

The Fluffawump takes combat very aggressively trying to soak up enough damage in the first round to increase its size and abilities to defeat its opponent.

Trample (ex) whenever a Fluffawump moves through someone's space, it does slam damage.

Damage absorption (ex): a fluffawump feeds on damage dealt by attackers and grows from it. When a fluffawump is reduced to 4/5 of its hit points, it grows to small size, its Str is increases by 4, its Dex decreases by 2, and it also gains all relevant combat modifiers for a small creature. In addition its slam is increased to 1d4. When a fluffawumph is reduced to 3/4 of its hit points, it grows to medium size and its Str increases by 4, its Dex decreases by 2. The fluffawump has an increased speed of 5 feet. It gains all relevant combat modifiers for a medium creature. In addition, its slam increases to 1d6. When a fluffawump is reduced to 1/2 its hit points it grows to large size. Its Str increases by 8, it Dex decreases by 2, the fluffawump's speed increase by 5 feet and Its Natural armor increases by 2. In addition, its slam increases to 1d8. It also gains all applicable combat modifiers. When a fluffawump is reduced to 1/4 of its hit points it grows to huge size and its Str increases by 8 its Dex decreases by 2. Its speed increases by 5 feet and its natural armor increases by 3. In addition, its slam attack becomes 2d6 damage. It also gains all applicable combat modifiers.

Immune to sneak attack (ex) the fluffawump is immune to sneak attacks and other percision based damage such as the rangers favored enemy due to its lack of discernable anatomy. this does not make it immune to critical hits.

This is my first montser I would like to believe I did quite a good job I would like to recieve a constructive critisism on this creature. this is being submitted to [MITP]

alright I changed it so theres no plusses to CON and im thinking about getting rid of the large NA bonus and giving it maybe plus one each time, honestly I just went by the chart I saw in the MM.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-06, 09:43 PM
Hmmm... Well, aside from the overall need for more accurate spelling, more capitalization, punctuation and other miscellaneous grammar, you obviously meant that the creature becomes Huge when it reaches half its hp. And I would increase its movement rating when it increases in size; otherwise its greater reach won't help it.

An excellent first attempt.

ShipWrecked
2006-09-06, 10:44 PM
[quote]An excellent first attempt. [/qoute]

thank you very much

yes I know I wasnt allowd spell check seeing as I havent downloaded it onto my new computer next, I meant for it to become large by half hit points and huge at 1/4 i will increase speed and try and fix some spelling and grammer, acually if anyone has microsoft word and could do a spelling and grammer check for me I would greatly apreciate it.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-09-06, 11:24 PM
Bah! You youngsters and yer finagled hot-rod automated word checkers! Why, back in my day, we had to use dictionaries and rulers to check our forum posts! And you'd get papercuts that would infect your fingers so they'd fall off and you'd still thank God for the opportunity to use the dictionary that killed your digits, because the alternative was reciting it as an oral poem across the nation!

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-06, 11:32 PM
Hear, hear! Huzzah for old-fashioned application of intelligence!

ShipWrecked
2006-09-06, 11:46 PM
Bah! You youngsters and yer finagled hot-rod automated word checkers! Why, back in my day, we had to use dictionaries and rulers to check our forum posts! And you'd get papercuts that would infect your fingers so they'd fall off and you'd still thank God for the opportunity to use the dictionary that killed your digits, because the alternative was reciting it as an oral poem across the nation!
" back in the day" im pretty sure you didnt have forums to post on :P

fangthane
2006-09-06, 11:56 PM
I tell you what then, you tell me... Flufawump, Fluffawump, or Fluffawumph? :)

You need to spell 'tongue' properly and give it an attack bonus, along with the slam (even if that's going to increase with size/str, it should be calculated for base)
Stats - that's a rather high strength for a tiny creature; it's 3 above what the MM calls normal for the size as a maximum anyhow, and its con is also 4 points higher than normal ranges. Its Dex is merely high, not exceptional, but that's a lot of physical force beyond the norm for a CR7. Considering it starts with 175 hp and gets more as it's wounded; it ends at 32 strength, 12 dex and 29 con, with an effective HP total of 245 and an attack roll of +25/+20/+15 dealing 2d6+16 each. It strikes me that this will paste any 7th level party. The third attack is all but certain to land, and the first two will hit barring natural failures.

Damage Absorption: I believe you mean Huge for the 1/4 mark, rather than large again right? In any case, what of the fact that the extra con will give HP bringing him above the threshold he needed to get them?

ShipWrecked
2006-09-07, 12:00 AM
I tell you what then, you tell me... Flufawump, Fluffawump, or Fluffawumph? :)

You need to spell 'tongue' properly and give it an attack bonus, along with the slam (even if that's going to increase with size/str, it should be calculated for base)
Stats - that's a rather high strength for a tiny creature; it's 3 above what the MM calls normal for the size as a maximum anyhow, and its con is also 4 points higher than normal ranges. Its Dex is merely high, not exceptional, but that's a lot of physical force beyond the norm for a CR7. Considering it starts with 175 hp and gets more as it's wounded; it ends at 32 strength, 12 dex and 29 con, with an effective HP total of 245 and an attack roll of +25/+20/+15 dealing 2d6+16 each. It strikes me that this will paste any 7th level party. The third attack is all but certain to land, and the first two will hit barring natural failures.

Damage Absorption: I believe you mean Huge for the 1/4 mark, rather than large again right? In any case, what of the fact that the extra con will give HP bringing him above the threshold he needed to get them?

lol yea ty for your impute, ima work on the spelling errors, i was wondering that about the con too but when a size is changed the con is upped, can I just leave that part out, if I do will it still be a little to strong for a cr 7, im pretty sure I shoulda stuck to a normal monster for my first try :p lol give me a bit.

[EDIT:]alright I changed it so theres no plusses to CON and im thinking about getting rid of the large NA bonus and giving it maybe plus one each time, honestly I just went by the chart I saw in the MM.

fangthane
2006-09-07, 12:42 AM
Trouble with something like this is working out how long it's going to be at a given stage and thus how much its abilities at that stage affect things; you've already seen my gut reaction, but I'm not sure just how high a CR it really is, without a lot more analysis.

ShipWrecked
2006-09-07, 12:51 AM
[EDIT] alright so now theres no spelling erros and everything, and its the monsters natural attacks so it can only make one, not 3, I was thinking about changing the cr up to 9 I would like some more imput, I was thinking about changing the natural armor bonuses but the does go quite low

Trouble with something like this is working out how long it's going to be at a given stage and thus how much its abilities at that stage affect things; you've already seen my gut reaction, but I'm not sure just how high a CR it really is, without a lot more analysis.

I c well these are some things to look at, im going to bring them up to a couple of friends at school tommorow and play test it. so I guess this really wasnt ready for a post but atleast I got some good advice.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-10, 12:36 AM
Looks pretty Ok, not a bad first try, I like the concept of a fluffy little thing that gets angry and TPK's the whole group.

It looks balanced to me and checks out with the rules in the MM, provided its upped to CR 9 MitP vote: Yes

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-10, 12:38 AM
MitP Vote: Yes.

ShipWrecked
2006-09-10, 03:53 PM
bump ^.^

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 07:33 PM
A nice 'growing threat' type creature. I do wonder what would happen if you trapped it inside something (like a force cage) and then damaged it with ranged or remote attacks. would it implode?

Anyway. MitP vote: Yes

ShipWrecked
2006-09-10, 07:56 PM
A nice 'growing threat' type creature. I do wonder what would happen if you trapped it inside something (like a force cage) and then damaged it with ranged or remote attacks. would it implode?

Anyway. MitP vote: Yes
well when it reaches the critical amount of damage it can take it dies, I guess you can say it implodes really you could say it explodes, it's up to the Dm which is awlays nice

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-10, 08:18 PM
Beautiful creature, ShipWrecked. I can think of a certain sorcerer with a low wisdom modifier who would try to incapicitate this creature in order to make one to serve as her familiar. Until it got down to half its HP, that is. Two of these things will wreak some DAMAGE on an overconfident party of sub-epic characters very, very soon....

MitP vote: Yes

ShipWrecked
2006-09-10, 10:10 PM
Beautiful creature, ShipWrecked. I can think of a certain sorcerer with a low wisdom modifier who would try to incapicitate this creature in order to make one to serve as her familiar. Until it got down to half its HP, that is. Two of these things will wreak some DAMAGE on an overconfident party of sub-epic characters very, very soon....

MitP vote: Yes

thank you very much for the compliments I honestly think its awsome too.

ShipWrecked
2006-09-13, 07:33 PM
so how many votes is it to be added like 9?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-13, 08:00 PM
7 now. It was changed.

ShipWrecked
2006-09-13, 08:22 PM
i c i c sooooo 4 more to go, i was kinda thinking about changing the name this ones a lil dumb.. any suggestions from the good people of the playground?

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-13, 09:16 PM
Ouch.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-13, 09:28 PM
.... PIkACHU! :D
j/k
Honestly, I have no idea.

ShipWrecked
2006-09-13, 11:00 PM
Ouch.
lol honestly you really think this thing is going to be that tough of a monster? and acually..if it was turned to a cr 9 should i of increased its hit die cause from 7-9 is a signifigant leap in damage for a party..

fangthane
2006-09-14, 12:23 PM
AC needs to be broken out (18 is +5 Dex, +2 size and +1 natural right?)

Improved Overrun requires both a strength of 13 and Power Attack, neither of which the Fluffy has. If you intend this ability only for use after it's gained the +8 strength from growing to medium, you'll still need to get him a Power Attack.

While you have removed indications that its con increases, it might be an idea to specifically state in the Damage absorption section that these size changes do not affect the creature's con either way.

Finally, my more-in-depth analysis of its combat effectiveness.
At 49%, it has stats of 24/14/19/2/11/17 and is Large - since this is the midway point and your size increases seem relatively smooth, let's assess it as if these were its stats all the way through.

Attacks: Do critters not get multiple attacks at +6/11/16 anymore? (not that I'm saying they definitely do, because I might have misread something or missed something, but I thought they did)
In any case, the one attack at 14+7-1=+20 will tell us a little about its effectiveness whether or not it gets another. (by the way, your +13 modifier should be listed under Attack and Full Attack)
Average level 10 fighter: +10 armor, +3 shield, +3 misc, +1 dex = 27 ac, so Fluffy hits on anything 7 or above (70% chance to hit) If it gets an attack progression, it's got a 87% chance to hit at least once, and decent odds of hitting twice in a round.
Average level 10 fighter attack: +10 base, +1 focus, +2 enhancement, +4 strength = +17 so the fighter's hitting twice a round unless he drops an ace. (AC +2/-1/+2
Rogue level 10 attack: +7 base, +2 enhancement, +4 dex, +2 flank = +15 so he's hitting about 1.8 times per round too (barring movement) and about 1.2 when we factor in the need to position.
A level 9-10 sorceror should have little trouble landing a pair of Scorching Rays (or roughly equivalent damage) per round for an average of 7d6 or roughly 25 hp.
Assuming the cleric/druid does nothing but buff and heal, here's the analysis:
Damage dealt by the critter:
1-hit, 70% of 1d8+10 = 10.15
progression, 70%+45%+20% of 1d8+10 = 19.575

Damage received by the critter:
F: 1.9*(1d8+4+2+2) = 23.75
R: 1.2*(5d6+2+2) = 25.8
Arcane: 24.5

Basically, I give this thing about 3-4 rounds to live, tops, against a competent level 10 party, in which time (assuming we give it full progression) it'll deal roughly half its HP in damage. Given that it has different combat abilities at different health stages this isn't by any means a complete analysis, but it does tend to indicate that CR 9-10 is probably about the right range generally speaking. Personally I'd be tempted to use one of the various mechanisms to make it immune to sneaks (but not necessarily crits; perhaps it bobs about so randomly that it's not possible to target specific anatomy) - that'd greatly reduce melee damage sustained and even out damage dealt/received a bit.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-09-14, 04:18 PM
lol honestly you really think this thing is going to be that tough of a monster? and acually..if it was turned to a cr 9 should i of increased its hit die cause from 7-9 is a signifigant leap in damage for a party..
I was reacting to the pain caused by your asking for the 'good' people of the playground to critique for you. That was a shot to my heart.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-14, 08:18 PM
@^^ Onlty manufactured weapons get attack progressions to the best of my knowlege, but i'm pretty sure.

Might want to bump its HP up enough to make it easily divislible for DM's, save alot of headaches.

And as Fangthane pointed out, it's about a CR 9-10, maybe 8, if its a tough party. Also, i agre that a fluffy ball is immune to sneak attack, since it dosent have dicernable anatomy, but you'll want to specify that in SQ's

ShipWrecked
2006-09-19, 07:25 PM
made some changes to it, made the HP more evnly divisible, not perfect, but better, and gave it immunity to sneak attack, and othe rprecision damage, since its a yellow ball.