PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare spinner

BobVosh
2009-02-17, 06:26 AM
I was trying to find the guide, and my google-fu failed me. Wasn't really sure if it was this forums or WotC's, but still :'(

Anyone got the link? If not some suggestions?

32 point buy, pretty much all FR & WotC books open. Figuring I would go whisper gnome with some alt wizard stuff and get into NMSpinner. The game is at level 12.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-17, 11:31 AM
Nightmare Spinner is one of the few classes a Sorc is better at than a Wizard, due to Cha-Synergy.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-17, 12:21 PM
As far as I know, there is no handbook for Nightmare Spinner. Which isn't terribly surprising, since PrCs tend to see less handbook love unless they're extremely strong/popular.

I agree with Sstoopidtallkid that a Sorcerer is going to be stronger than a Wizard for a Nightmare Spinner, and a Dread Necromancer would probably make a strong one, too. (Dread Necromancer Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=759515), Solo’s Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Stratagems (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74801))

Otherwise, good luck!

Oh, and if you're going Whisper Gnome, and want a powerful character, there's only one true option for you to go. The Shadowcraft Mage (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556).

BobVosh
2009-02-19, 02:41 AM
Oh, thanks

Coulda sworn there was one. But i've been wrong decently enough times to admit there is a small chance that it is possible.

Starbuck_II
2009-02-19, 10:28 AM
How about the Adaptation mention in Complete Mage?
The one that allows Charm/Dominate to affect creatures immune to mind affecting/charm/dominate creatures?

How strong would that one be?

I'd replace 3rd level ability with Get around Charm immunity probably and 5th with Get around Dominate immunity. Each useable 3 + Cha mod/day.

I mean, that adaptation is awesome in ideas.

Hmm, so technically, this would get around Protection of evil blocking too!

Paul H
2009-02-21, 02:09 PM
Hi

Thought Beguilers made better Night mare Spinners?

All those Illusion/Enchantment spells. Abilities to increase the DC's for you spells. Extra Feats, HP's, Skill Pts and Armour.

Just going to check my books & to see what I can figure out..........

Cheers
Paul H

MammonAzrael
2009-02-21, 02:15 PM
The thing about Beguilers is that their spells are keyed off Intelligence, while the Nightmare Spinner's class abilities DCs are based off Charisma. It's that synergy that makes Cha based casters generally better for it.

That's not to say that Beguilers can't make good Nightmare Spinners, though. :smallsmile:

Paul H
2009-02-22, 08:58 AM
The thing about Beguilers is that their spells are keyed off Intelligence, while the Nightmare Spinner's class abilities DCs are based off Charisma. It's that synergy that makes Cha based casters generally better for it.

That's not to say that Beguilers can't make good Nightmare Spinners, though. :smallsmile:

Hi

OK - missed the Cha bit. Still - very good class for Beguilers, even for just a level dip. Extra Illusion spell/level isn't to be sneezed at, and I don't even want to think how many fear effects my characters have had to put up with the last 12 months...........:smalleek:

Cheers
Paul H

Paul H
2009-02-24, 09:08 AM
Hi

OK - try the Beguiler/Nightspinner/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge mix then.

Nightspinner, because of the Fear Immunity, and all those extra Illusion spells.

Warlock because of the +6 (Unspecified) bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy & Intimidate. (With Glibness spell that's +36 to Bluff)!

Eldritch Theurge because of all those other nice Warlock abilities, eg:
1) +6 to Search/Spot & Comp Langs for written material
2) Darkvision/See Invis
3) See in Magical Darkness
4) Fly
5) Invis
6) +6 to Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate

etc, etc..

All those at will, and last for 24 hrs.

I have a Beguiler 6/Warlock 1 with the Search/Spot/Comp Langs ability. Even I can use Glibness for measly +30 to Bluff skill! (Plus skill mod).

"Honest, officer - this guy told me he's lost his car keys...."

Cheers
Paul H