PDA

View Full Version : I'm drawing a blank... What is the Evil Chalice referencing to?

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-02-17, 09:25 AM
I'm usually up on this type of reference, but what chalice is Qarr talking about?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything during my (admittedly brief) search of the main threads...

Wraithfighter
2009-02-17, 09:44 AM
Hasn't been mentioned thus far, I think.

Probably just some random evil chalice. Evil artifact evil powers want to get their evil hands on, explaining Qaar's presence helping both Kubota and trying to help V.

Nerdanel
2009-02-17, 09:56 AM
I think it's referring to how many things in D&D come in several alignment variants as that is an easy shortcut to a wide range of magic items.

So, the OOTS world may well contain the Holy Grail, the Unholy Grail, the Axiomatic Grail. the Anarchic Grail, and the Neutral Grail. :smallsmile:

TheBST
2009-02-17, 10:02 AM
the Neutral Grail

That one's probably just a teacup.

I think the point was to show that Qarr didn't have any major fiendish scheme behind cold-calling V and to emphasize that the Faustian pact is totally V's idea.

Or at least Rich/Qarr wants us to think that,

Nerdanel
2009-02-17, 11:26 AM

More likely it's something like a chalice that gives temporary negative levels to all Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, and Chaotic Evil characters who have it in their possession and can be activated for a variety of middle-of-the-road magical effects. That's D&D after all.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-02-17, 01:35 PM
I think the point was to show that Qarr didn't have any major fiendish scheme behind cold-calling V and to emphasize that the Faustian pact is totally V's idea.

QFT...and QED.

The chalice is insignificant...probably one of those Dime-a-Dozen Evil Magical Items...if it was worth anything more, would they assign an IMP to take care of it?

VampireRot
2009-02-17, 01:44 PM
Qarr's search for the Evil Chalice is a refrence to The Knights of the Round Table's supposed search for the Holy Grail. If the good guys get a magical cup, the bad guys should also get one! :smallbiggrin:

RMS Oceanic
2009-02-17, 01:54 PM
An extremely tenuous link, but leafing through Complete Divine, there's a Paladin Order trying to retrieve the Chalice of Heironeous, which turns out to be Heironeous's Daughter. Maybe Qarr's Boss is trying to steal her back?

The Chalice isn't evil per se, but taking it would be evil.

werik
2009-02-17, 02:11 PM
I don't think the chalice is any sort of pop culture reference or anything. I think it's some foreshadowing for something we've yet to see.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-02-17, 02:23 PM
Still no solid answers...

I was also thinking an Evil Version of the Holy Grail when I posted this thread, but nothing seemed current... If this had been just after "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" had been on the USA Network or something like that, maybe...

"The Chalice with the Palace has the Brew that is True?"

David Argall
2009-02-17, 02:26 PM
Probably just a casual loose end of no importance to the story. It hasn't shown up before anyway.

Recall that the Ming has shown up a few times. So this evil chalice is just another storyline that the heros don't get involved in.

xolik
2009-02-17, 03:32 PM
Still no solid answers...

I was also thinking an Evil Version of the Holy Grail when I posted this thread, but nothing seemed current... If this had been just after "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" had been on the USA Network or something like that, maybe...

"The Vessle with the Pestle has the Brew that is True."

:smallbiggrin:

Cúchulainn
2009-02-17, 05:15 PM

Hey hey hey...neutral people have feelings too. :smallfrown:

Optimystik
2009-02-17, 05:18 PM

"Yet the Flagon with the Dragon has the pellet with the poison."

Jimorian
2009-02-17, 05:55 PM
This is the Chalice they seek:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/Adventure1.png/250px-Adventure1.png

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-02-19, 09:37 AM
This is the Chalice they seek:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/Adventure1.png/250px-Adventure1.png

I found that Chalice!

(After we "solved" that game, we used to have contests to see how fast we could run through the game.)

Marsala
2009-02-19, 05:04 PM

Don't underestimate the power of the True Neutral Side! :vaarsuvius:

snafu
2009-02-19, 05:16 PM

The Neutral Grail would presumably just be a castletop beacon, which just happens to be grail-shaped. Somebody would have to set light to it for it to glow in any way. And if they did they would be naughty and wicked and have to be punished, and I can think of only one punishment for setting light to Grail-shaped beacons...