PDA

View Full Version : Duel Progression Classes

Darth Stabber
2009-02-17, 12:00 PM
Are any of the Wizard/Sorc based Duel Progression Classes Worth considering (not counting accelerated classes like Ur-Priest)?

I Like Soulcaster, it only requires a 2 lvl dip (or 1 if you are willing to splurge the 2 extra feats), and it has some nice benefits to Make up for the lost lvls (+1-2 to caster lvl and save DCs, but only on spells that you are willing to invest essentia in.), And the midnight metamagic feat gives some cool metamagic reduction.

Ultimate Magus also has some cool stuff but it loses caster levels, and it just gives you arcane casting(no divine or alternate magic systems).

Mystic theurge - is just boring, it doesn't even give you any of the synergistic benefits that the others do, Just casting + casting.

Which ones are worth the ink to pen them on your character sheet?

(again nothing involving Ur-priest, so much cheese it should be illegal, and the flavor means you should get smited upon preparing your first spell by any deity good, neutral, lawful or evil, maybe not chaotic, olidamara might find it funny)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-02-17, 12:11 PM
Arcane Heirophant is nice. It gets class features and is a combo of 2 powerful classes, so it's okay for some concepts, especially since MT can finish it up and let you progress both sides to full.

Folchuan Lyricist(sp) is terrible, as is True Necromancer.

UM works well if you use it to advance one side fully. Prec Apprentice or Practiced Spellcaster to make the side you want progress and let the other side be used for metamagic. It also is much more SAD than other dual classes.

FinalJustice
2009-02-17, 12:15 PM
You should really avoid the flamebait about Ur-Priest, because it can totally derail your thread.

I have seen an Arcane Hierophant once. More than enough to confirm my suspects. A combination of Druid and Wizard could only result into something utter deadly.

Anima Mage is also nice. Binding gives you more versatility and durability. Plus, cheap metamagic.

Ultimate Magus is nice if you use early entry and CL boosting shenanigans to get 9th level spells on one of your sides. Otherwise it gets gimped.

Dweomerkeeper (Or Dweomercheater, as one may call) might count as a dual progression, since it requires both divine and arcane magic and can progress either one each level. Supernatural Wish/Miracle is worth dying for (even if its by a well aimed dice barrage performed by an angry DM).

Darth Stabber
2009-02-17, 02:54 PM
I just read over Sapphire Heirarch (incarnum and divine spell casting), and I must say it bothers me. Your only alignment choice is really LN and the flavor is very specific, leaving no room for anything. And it gives you smite chaos and 1/2 bab, so they want me to melee, but they dont want me to hit unless i am smiting, great thanks for non synergistic class abilites in a class I can't use 3/4 of the time i would want to.