PDA

View Full Version : Casting Call for an NPC

wolfsnap
2009-02-17, 12:44 PM
Hey everybody! I'm Wolfsnap and this is my first post. I've come because I am a DM in search of a little input from other roleplayers.

I'm running a D&D 3.5 game with a nautical bent. In the process of hitting 6th level, the party has captured a pirate ship. One of them intends to be its captain, and he has taken the Leadership feat in order to attract a crew. In addition to a few 1st level crewmen, he gets one 4th level cohort, which will be his First Mate. This is the first time I've ever run a game with a cohort.

I have a few concerns: If I let the player create the cohort, then it will tend to fade into the background and be a zombie as they concentrate on their main character. I would rather that the PC not be able to predict 100% what his cohort is going to say/do - I'd prefer it to be a fleshed out NPC that they have to deal with. A cohort should be a responsibility as well as a resource.

However, if I create the cohort myself I'll feel like I'm railroading the PC a little bit. I want to give the PC options, and I also want to be "surprised" by this NPC a bit myself. So I had a crazy idea:

I'll post the "Help Wanted" advert below and anyone who wants to can submit a character concept to apply for the job. Stats aren't necessary, but feel free if you want to. I just need a name, class, race, and a few salient background details as well as a reason why the NPC wants to sign on. In the next session I can then pull out the "applicants" and we can do what I hope will be a fun "job interview montage" where the PC and the rest of the party can sift the different potential cohorts and finally settle on someone.

I will of course post here to let you know who got the job. :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps! Here's the game details:

You're in small port in a snowy northern clime and looking for work on a ship. Word is that a group of mercenaries has recently pulled into port after hunting down a notorious gang of pirates and they're wanting to outfit a salvaged ship with crew and kit. The new captain is named Drecker and by all reports he's flush with cash and his ship is a beauty. No one knows much about his temperament, though rumor has it that he's a clever trader and jolly fellow, but short on discipline. What is certain is that he travels with a pack of very deadly sell-swords that have been cutting a swath through some of the hardest pirates in the area. Drecker needs a First Mate. Maybe this could be your big break?

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-02-17, 12:49 PM
A little info needed:

What books do you have available? What races are common/uncommon/nonexistent in your setting? Are non-core PC races ok?

I presume you want more of a fighter-type than a caster-type?

-JM

Dublock
2009-02-17, 12:55 PM
Also what level of optimization do you guys play with? A high power game where wizards, clerics and druids rule all, or the blaster wizard is equal footing with the fighter and monk?

wolfsnap
2009-02-17, 01:00 PM
A little info needed:

What books do you have available? What races are common/uncommon/nonexistent in your setting? Are non-core PC races ok?

I presume you want more of a fighter-type than a caster-type?

-JM

My game is Core Rules Only. Humans are by far the most common race. Generally a low-magic environment. Stick to the PHB/MM/DMG 3.5 and you're golden. (we're a real old-fashioned meat-and-potatoes gaming group)

The PC is most likely looking for a fighter-type, but feel free to try a different approach if you like.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-02-17, 01:04 PM
My game is Core Rules Only. Humans are by far the most common race. Generally a low-magic environment. Stick to the PHB/MM/DMG 3.5 and you're golden. (we're a real old-fashioned meat-and-potatoes gaming group)

The PC is most likely looking for a fighter-type, but feel free to try a different approach if you like.

Too bad, a Swashbuckler woulda been pretty archetypal. :smallsmile:

I'll think on it and submit something when I'm not in class anymore :smallbiggrin:.

-JM

BRC
2009-02-17, 01:07 PM
For any nautical campaign, Stormwrack is a must. Also, it has Flying Pirate Monkeys

Anyway, some ideas
1. Former Naval Officer, dishonorably discharged from service for killing another officer in a duel. Served his prison sentence, but the navy won't take him back. Marshal or Fighter (Marshal is free online so I consider it core)
2. Former Pirate who has adopted a new identity and decided to go legit, rogue.
3. The son of a famed captain who, after tagging along with his father for years, is now looking to get out of his father's shadow, Bard.

wolfsnap
2009-02-17, 01:07 PM
Also what level of optimization do you guys play with? A high power game where wizards, clerics and druids rule all, or the blaster wizard is equal footing with the fighter and monk?

Low optimization. The party is mostly dex-based: An elf ranger 6, A human rougue 6, a human Cleric 2/Monk 4, a human Paladin 6, a sorcerer 6, and a half-elf Fighter 5/Bard 1 (The hopeful Captain)

FinalJustice
2009-02-17, 01:25 PM
Can't go wrong with an aquatic themed drunk Druid Dwarf. The image of a Dwarf drinking rum, riding a Shark and turning into another freakin' Shark when the situation calls for is just too awesome. Bonus points if you let him exchange scimitar for an harpoon.

BRC
2009-02-17, 01:43 PM
Further elaboration on my Ideas
The officer:
Lawrence Harband
Story: Lawrence Harband was raised for a life in the navy, and his family has a long history of naval service, somthing he is very proud of. He had reached the rank of Lieutenant when he overheard two Lieutenants discussing a battle his ancestor had a crucial role in. Lawrence was about to join in when one said that Captain Harband's action in that battle was boneheaded and stupid, and only succeeded because of a sudden change in the wind. Highly offended by this, Lieutenant Harband challenged his fellow officer to a duel, a technically legal but highly discouraged action. Harband won the duel, but was discharged from the navy, supposedly for "Insubordination", he is now seeking a new ship to work on.
Appearance: Clean cut, official. He still wears his naval uniform, albiet with any rank pins or symbols of allegiance taken off (So he's not guilty of impersonating a naval officer).
During the Interview: he is very skilled, but proud and unapologetic. He feels he was fully justified in all his actions, and will be sizing up the captain at the same time he is being interviewed. However he is short on cash, so if offered the slot will accept.
Onboard: If accepted, Lieutenant Harband will gladly work on the ship. He will take it upon himself to whip to crew into shape, and apply his skill and knowledge very effectivly. He respects the chain of command, and while he may offer advice to his captain, he would not dream of intruding on the captain's authority.

The Pirate
Jarl Rackham
Story: Once a pirate onboard the feared Flaming Tide, his ship was attacked by another group of pirates. Seeing the day was lost, Jarl grabbed a set of valuable jewels the Flaming Tide had captured and fled the ship in a rowboat, reaching shore shortly after. He used the jewels to get a new identity as Alfred Ias. He then tried to buy a ship of his own with the remaining jewels, but was tricked by a slick talking con-man. He's now broke, and those other pirates are still after him.
Appearance: Big, scarred, and tattooed.
In the Interview: Jarl will claim he is Alfred Ias, a sailor with several years experience onboard merchant ships. When pressured for details, he will throw out a few ship names, but nothing else. A sense motive will reveal he is lying about somthing, if enough pressure is applied, he will admit his past.
On board: He will try to keep up his identity as Alfred Ias, but his skill in a fight with hint at his true past. He is a competent sailor who knows a few tricks, but he's always afraid one of his many enemies will discover his identity, so he always wants to be on the move.

The Son
Daniel Shiver
Story: The son of the legendary captain Horatio Shiver, Daniel grew up in his father's shadow. Learning from the hands onboard the ship, and acting as a sort of ship mascot. He recently got fed up with always being associated with his father, and set out to make a name for himself.
Appearance: Young, obviously been at sea for awhile, but fairly legitimate looking. A small fish tattoo on his right hand.
In the Interview: When he gives his name, a Knowledge check will reveal information about his father. He will not mention his father, but if the subject is brought up he will sigh and admit, yes, he is the son of the famed Horatio Shiver. He will then mention his skills onboard ship, and that he's a good singer, plus the body of knowledge he's picked up over the years.
On Board: If accepted, Daniel will try to make a name for himself, but since most of his experience is by-proxy (he's learned just about everything a sailor would ever need to know from his father's crew, but he hasn't actually done much of it personally) he will defer to the captain or more experienced crew members.

Quietus
2009-02-17, 01:48 PM
If the PC in question is a melee-ish type, give him a Bard. It's his First Mate, which means that if the captain himself isn't inspiring (read : PC has low charisma), then the First Mate should be able to pick up some of the slack. Essentially, the PC becomes the brains, while the NPC becomes the rallying cry.

Have him be an easygoing guy, laid back, and likeable; Probably drinks with the crew, so he's "one of the boys". In combat, he uses his music and casting to buff those around him, making them better at what they do, and possibly has a level of Rogue to get hand crossbow proficiency and sneak attack.

In fact, I'd go Rogue1/Bard3, with an equal primary focus on dex/cha, followed by con. (8+int)*4 skill points at first level, 6+int every level after that, gives you all the nautical skills he would need as a ranking crew member, he'd get Sneak Attack, Trapfinding (if you feel he needs it), some bardic knowledge, inspire courage, and inspire competence. Next level, he picks up second level spells.

He won't ever overshadow the party - the goal of this character would essentially be to make the party better at what they do, while also being fun to play.

Tyrmatt
2009-02-17, 02:08 PM
I like the idea of a duellist class, real charming and swashbucklery with perhaps a weakness for pretty ladies and big piles of treasure.
Or if you hate hysterically stereotyped characters like him, have him accidentally die during the interview process.

wolfsnap
2009-02-17, 02:45 PM
Just to reiterate, I'm not nearly as interested in stats and builds as I am with Names, backgrounds, and motivations. Stats are cool, but background is more important.