PDA

View Full Version : Sad sad soulbow[3.5 Character optimization]

wadledo
2009-02-17, 02:19 PM
So I'm planing on making a Kalashtar soulknife.
No, I'm not drunk, and no, I haven't been hit on the head recently.

The plan is Soulknife 3/ Monk 2/ Soulbow 1/ Atavist 1, using the Flowing Blade feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050110a), Bonus Feats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a), the first 2 soulblade racial levels, and the 2nd monk racial level.
No flaws, no traits, 32 Point buy, level 7.

The plan so far is to use Psionic Shot at the beginning of encounters, and then just flurry like hell and hope I hit something.

My AC is either going to be abysmal or half decent, seeing as how I can't use armor and get my Wis to AC(though it is only +4, so light armor and shield looks like a good plan).

Using Soulblade Warrior means that I'm on the ball when it comes to enhancements(and I'm not entirely sure, but I think that the enhancement bonus from Soulbow grants me the normal to hit/damage and enhancements, as well as an additional +1 at 3rd, 6th, and 9th).

Any other suggestions?:smallconfused:

Eldariel
2009-02-17, 02:55 PM
Zen Archery [CW]. This truly makes you SAD with Wis to hit, to damage & to AC. You could get Intuitive Attack [BoED] to do the same for melee, but really, they won't deal that much damage anyways so I wouldn't bother; just flurry your mind arrows whenever applicable. Start with max Wis and put all your level-up points in it and expend funds into purchasing higher Wis. Heck, you could consider starting Middle-Aged for that +1 to mental stats (at the expense of your physicals; tough call).

It may be worth it to pick 4 more levels of Soulbow for Close-Combat Shot though; that truly allows you to effectively attack in melee with Wis to hit and damage. Also, consider the Kensai-class; you can enhance your Mindblade much more quickly that way. That said, it wouldn't advance your unarmed strikes, so YMMV.

Anyways, for your AC you'll mostly have to rely on the fact that you have no upper Dex-limit and the fact that you invest heavily in your Wis (and of coures, Bracers of Armor, Ring of Protection, Amulet of Natural Armor and so on can add to that bonus). That said, miss chance is better than AC anyways; try for stuff that grants you that instead. With Improved Precise Shot, you can ignore all but total concealment so anything like Darkness that grants lower concealment than that is awesome for you. Just something to consider

Arcane_Snowman
2009-02-17, 02:57 PM
Get Zen Archer from Complete Warrior, that way you should be capable of making wisdom your only needed attribute.
The feat Shape Soulmeld (Sighting Gloves) from Magic of Incarnum will give you an extra +1 to damage rolls on ranged attacks, +1 per essentia you'll be capable of putting into it, which means you might want to invest in some other Incarnum Feats to get more essentia.

Edit: Ninja'ed