PDA

View Full Version : Arm Broken

Pandaren
2009-02-17, 03:20 PM
Well, one of the forearm bones fractured, still sucks, and it's my good arm. First time I've been in a hospital, it was slow, and not very pleasant.

I went out to the desert with my friend for the weekend, was being careless, and flew off a drop. My hands were gripped on the handle bars, and the slamming of the quad on the ground fractured my right arm close to the base of the wrist, took me over an hour yo get to the hospital and I spent half of that time in the rain. I'll give a more detailed story some other time, but it's taking forever to type this this with my left arm.

Dirk Kris
2009-02-17, 03:22 PM
That...sucks.
Broke my forearm, both bones, years ago when I was a kid. Hurt like hell, was in a cast FOREVER. To make matters worse, a week before my cast came off, my brother pushed me down the stairs and RE-BROKE it, inside the cast. 'Twas my preferred arm, so I got to type up all my school work on a computer or made someone else write it for me.

...plus, I had a built-in bashing tool, so it wasn't ALL bed. Yes, my brother paid dearly...sooooo dearly.

thubby
2009-02-17, 03:31 PM
I've managed to smash my wrist, and i fell off a quad, but not both at the same time, bravo.

seriously though, that sucks. heal fast, and DO THE REHAB if there is any.

Jimp
2009-02-17, 05:03 PM
I've broken both my arms twice and fractured both once.
Ah the memories.

EmeraldRose
2009-02-19, 06:51 AM
Hope you heal quickly and that your pain is well managed! :smalleek:

Broke my right elbow a couple of years ago, which really sucked b/c they can't cast joints. It still gives me trouble if I sleep with it in the same position for too long...

Previous breaks include my right upper arm (near the shoulder- I was 5 and fell from jumping on the bed), and a rib (from coughing).

thubby
2009-02-19, 07:50 AM
i thought they splinted most joint breaks. that's what happened with my wrist.

and a rib (from coughing).

:smalleek::smallconfused:???

Recaiden
2009-02-19, 08:28 AM
I guess you've never had a bad cough. I broke my left arm twice. No fun.

Xsesiv
2009-02-19, 08:40 AM
I've never broken a limb (big bones are too damn tough to just snap) but I managed to crush my good hand being dog-piled once three years ago, it wasn't recognised as a break at the time so it never got set properly. Two bones are still fused.:smallfrown: Not fun at the time, or now that I have trouble wrrting legibly.

d13
2009-02-19, 09:17 AM
@^ Big bones are not really the most important thing, but those bones beign covered by something MORE than mere skin (like me xD).

About me... Well...

Broke both feet little finger, 8 over 10 of my hands', my nose, three ribs on my left side (hit by a crowbar, trying to be robbed), left wrist (the same crowbar, aiming now for my head xD).

(The guy in question, at the end, ripped off a gold cross that belonged to my mother and ran away, but I took a couple of his teeth, and broke his left wrist, elbow and shoulder :smallamused: xD)

Oh, and several sprains/twists/dislocations (and a spina that went all the way through my right foot), that have no room in this topic.

Yeah... I'm pretty f*cked up xD

P.S: DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, SKIP THE PHYSIOTHERAPY-THING YOU DO, AFTER YOU HEAL. You'll regret it if you do xD

Dirk Kris
2009-02-19, 10:45 AM
Lessee, broke both bones in right forearm, along with wrist, elbow, hand and 3 fingers - doing gymnastics, if you can believe it. Yeah, my mom wanted me to do gymnastics - if I were older, it woulda gotten me chicks.
Broke toes several times thanks to soccer.
Not broken but tore ACL and meniscus in my knee.
Broke a thumb falling into a pothole.

Assassin89
2009-02-19, 02:29 PM
I have never broken a bone, but I have had some injuries.

I have a healed wound in my mouth due to hitting a gate

I also once had my right leg nearly dislocated when I tripped over someone, leaving my foot near my head.

Moff Chumley
2009-02-19, 02:51 PM
No broken bones, no major injuries!

MwhaHA!

d13
2009-02-19, 05:57 PM

MwhaHA!

You lucky one... >_>~

Anyway... Having your limbs broken isn't THAT tragic... At least after the second or third time xD

TheBST
2009-02-19, 06:10 PM

MwhaHA!

Yet.

Shattered my wrist once- fell out of a tree onto rocks (don't ask). Ended up having to dictate the answers in my GCSE finals. One benefit- when I got jumped in the toilets the plaster cast made an excellent improvised weapon.

Anyone ever broken something but not had a clue how it happened? A few years back I woke up one morning my bedroom floor with a dislocated leg and no idea how it happened.

Logalmier
2009-02-19, 08:04 PM
I broke a bone once, and it was my favorite femur too!:smallfrown:

blackfox
2009-02-19, 08:39 PM
I broke my arm when I was 6... left arm, though, and I'm right handed. I was messing around on a zipline, pushing the thing forward and then jumping for it, and I missed and fell and landed on my arm. I remember that the doctor told me I wouldn't be allowed to climb for 2 months and I got really, really mad. :smalltongue:

Lesseee... I've also broken my coxxyx (skiing), two toes (falling down the stairs, two separate occasions =3) and my right foot (sleeping).

No major injuries aside from that, although I have a lot of narrow escapes. For some reason I don't get sprains, etc. easily but I do break things.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-02-19, 09:54 PM
Never had a serious injury.
The worst was knocking myself out for a few seconds playing soccer.

One of my friends had her arm broken twice. The same arm. By the same person. Accidentally, of course.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-02-20, 05:27 AM
I probably got everyone here beat.. :frown:

Left arm, I tripped and fell forward with my elbow locked, the elbow was fine but the arm cracked. Right forearm and right hand, once each, both times in a fight. Right toe, when I was getting into a car but the driver thought I was in already...

And my left kneecap got completely shattered because I tried to crouch during sparring but my left leg instead of bending forward at the knee bent sideways and under me... had surgery to remove chipped bones and now I'm missing half my kneecap, which hurts like a bitch during snowboarding.

And somehow through it all I've never, ever sprained an ankle...

thubby
2009-02-20, 06:42 AM
had surgery to remove chipped bones and now I'm missing half my kneecap, which hurts like a bitch during snowboarding.

there i can empathize. i ripped up the cartilage in my left knee and it can lock up if i unbend it with too much pressure on it.

Quincunx
2009-02-20, 07:05 AM
There's a knob in my right collarbone, as though it was broken and healed out of alignment. I don't remember this and neither, it seems, does anyone I ask, so I just say I've never broken a bone.

EmeraldRose
2009-02-20, 07:15 AM
i thought they splinted most joint breaks. that's what happened with my wrist.

:smalleek::smallconfused:???

They will only splint them very briefly, mine was for a week (since I tripped and moved the bone as well as breaking it a bit more) as the bones have to move to heal properly. If you splint or cast a joint, it will not heal properly.

Also, yes, coughing. It was a very very very very bad cough. Though I have to say, I managed not to cough at all once it was broken...:smallwink:

puppyavenger
2009-02-20, 11:49 AM
Broke my leg once by going off a snowboard jump in a dinky little plastic sled well 8...

also broke my middle finger by slamming a car door on it a few years ago.

Jack Squat
2009-02-20, 12:27 PM
Broke my leg once by going off a snowboard jump in a dinky little plastic sled well 8...

Heh, I did that once. Well, it was really just a ramp that some kids were using for snowboards, but meh. Point is, I didn't see it.

I'm going down the hill, I fell a bump, and I land and hit the ground about 10 feet from the sled, flew about 20 feet. Walk back to the sled, and notice that it's bulged up in the middle, didn't know what it was from, but figured it pushed me from the sled. I popped it back down and went back up the hill.

I didn't break my leg, but I figure that's from me doing a face-plant. I've always had a thick skull :smalltongue:

Pandaren
2009-02-20, 10:36 PM
Thank you all, and some very interesting stories.

Alrighty, I can tell the full story now, they traded the splint for a cast, and it's actually a lot easier to type now.

The cast is red.

I love it.

Back to the story.

I was out in the desert, having been invited by my friend, who I will proceed to call "Max". After spending a whole weekend riding around, we were going out for one last ride, little did I know what would happen. My sister also came out to the desert with me, and she had nearly "eaten it" earlier in that day, having bounced off her quad and being dragged a few feet before her glove ripped and she lay. Luckily, or due to her being a tough little trooper, she managed to have no injuries save for a minor bruise or two.

As I said, one last ride. All of my friends family was going out along with us "kids", this include me, my sister, Max, his father, his sister, and his uncle, the vehicles consisted of four quads and an Artic Cat (a really big, fast golf cart-ish vehicle). Before going out for the ride, Max's father reminded us to "not try to keep up with him", which may have raised a red flag for some people. After going out on the ride for nearly ten minutes, I lost track of my friend and sister, upon finally sighting them, I sped up after them in, yes, fifth gear, through very bumpy unfamiliar terrain. I was gaining momentum, turned away from the road, and found myself in midair, I had no time to think when the quad flew off the ten-or-so foot slope/cliff and hit the ground..

Upon stopping, my body screamed out in pain, I slumped to the side of the quad, ripped off my globes unceremoniously, and yanked off my helmet. I slumped on my side in the sand and waited.

Nearly half a minute later, both my sister and Max found themselves to my position, asking me questions such as, "%&)# happened!" and (later) "are you all right?". After telling me "she wasn't going back to the trailer" and "suck it up, it can't hurt that much" we finally decided the horrific swelling of my arm was bad enough to head back to camp, after an hour or so of trial and error, we got to camp and managed to find his parents, another fifteen minutes of driving with ten pounds of ice on my arm I got home, which led to another fifteen minutes of driving to another city's hospital.

Continuing this some more later..

Dewey
2009-02-20, 10:57 PM
I broke my Femur when I was five. I was in a cast for three months, and I had to relearn to walk.

LordSintax
2009-02-21, 04:59 PM
never broken a bone. ever. not even one. and I played sports in high school. but years ago, back when I competed in mma, I recieved a SEVERE knee and ankle injury. career-ending severe. The ring doctor actually told me (when I came back to consiousness) that if I hadnt passed out when I did, he would have been sending me straight to the hospital to have my knee fused. To this day, I still have no cartlidge in my right ankle. and my knee is one of those "it's going to rain soon" type of things. I still walk with a limp in cold weather sometimes.

blackfox
2009-02-21, 11:05 PM
Ah, stories... :smalltongue: [attentionplz]
I broke my foot last year. In my sleep. I was dreaming that I was REALLY, REALLY PISSED at someone in the dream, and I was going to kick him in his nether regions... and then I kicked out, physically, in real life. It was summer, so I didn't really have any covers on the bed, so my foot was unimpeded on its tragic journey to the corner of my windowsill, which is at almost exactly foot height next to my bed. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and thinking "Oh >poopieheads<, I hurt myself again" and then falling asleep. Woke up the next day with a pretty-colored, swollen foot.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-02-21, 11:33 PM
I fractured both of my arm's during my few years of skating back in elementary school. At different occasions.

But the worst would have to be in the 8th grade when I was riding in a go cart. My friend was driving, and I had my arm right arm stupidly holding the upper safety bar, putting the lower one between my arm and myself. He takes a corner, hits something in the dirt, and the cart flips on its side, putting a crap-load of weight on my arm. After screaming at my friend to get it "the **** off of me", he was somehow able to lift it while still in the cart. At least thats how I remember it, I may have blacked out for a few seconds or something.

Turns out that after waiting like 2 hours in the hospital, my arm was broken cleanly right in half. It was too high for a cast unless I wanted it to go around my chest and such (no thanks), and a complicated sling was all I got.

Which sucks even more is that a week later, I found out I has epilepsy :smallfrown: (its gone now I believe, a few years of medicine and growing up seems to have gotten rid of it, I guess some forms are only present in childhood). I was talking to my friend on the phone when I got all light headed, and just fell on the floor. When I woke up from the seizure, the ambulance had arrived and I was off. Turns out that during the seizure, my muscles had relaxed immensely, and the now two "arm pieces" had overlapped slightly (was a diagonal cut).

Long story short: Broke my arm, arm slid out of place, healed eventually.

/storytime