PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, PrC] Non-Casting Necromancer

Pyrusticia
2009-02-18, 03:33 PM
A couple of years ago, ZeroNumerous posted an awesome variant on the True Necromancer PrC that allowed for a single-class caster to take it up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49132, for those interested).

I thought I'd take it one step further, and create a prestige class for the necromancer that doesn't cast spells. This would mostly be used for monsters (ghouls, vamps, etc), but could also be used for certain characters, such as warlocks. Basically this PrC gives up all spell advancement, as well as the ability to create permanent undead via spell (although temporary reinforcements can be summoned at high levels), so that the necromancer is limited only to whatever type(s) of undead they can already create. In exchange, they get a number of feats to make those undead more powerful. Please let me know what you think, bearing in mind that this is based on 3.5 rules. Thanks!

Prereqs
Alignment: Any non-good.
Skills: Heal (8 Ranks)
Feat: Corpsecrafter
Special: Able to create undead as an extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like ability.

Hit Die: D6
Class Skills
The necromancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge(arcana) (Int), Knowledge(religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Search (Int) and Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points: 2+INT

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | Rebuke Undead, Necromantic Prowess (+1)
2 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 3 | Corpsecrafter Secret
3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 3 | Zone of Desecration (10')
4 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 4 | Corpsecrafter Secret, Necromantic Prowess (+2)
5 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 4 | Zone of Desecration (20')
6 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 5 | Corpsecrafter Secret
7 | 3 | 2 | 2 | 5 | Necromantic Prowess (+3), Zone of Desecration (40')
8 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 6 | Corpsecrafter Secret, Summon Undead V 1/day
9 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 6 | Deathwatch
10 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 7 | Corpsecrafter Secret, The Walking Dead, Necromantic Prowess (+4)[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A necromancer gains Simple Weapon Proficiency, and Martial Weapon Proficiency (Scythe). If she already has proficiency with simple weapons, she gains proficiency with all martial weapons instead. A necromancer gains no proficiency with armor or shields.

Rebuke Undead (Su): A necromancer may rebuke undead at a cleric level equal to her class levels. If a necromancer has the ability to rebuke undead before entering this class, her necromancer class levels stack with all others that grant this ability. The bonus from Necromantic Prowess applies to this ability.

Necromantic Prowess (Ex): Levels in Necromancer stack with any other levels that grant necromantic abilities when determining caster level. Furthermore, beginning at first level a necromancer gains a bonus to her caster level on any necromancy spell ability that mimics a necromancer spell. If an ability does not have a specific caster level, the bonus applies to the DC for any applicable save. This bonus starts at +1 at first level and increases by +1 every three levels thereafter. Example: A Warlock 6/Fighter 3/Necromancer 4 would be able to invoke The Dead Walk at an invoker level of 12 (6 warlock, 4 necromancer, 2 bonus).

Corpsecrafter Secret: At second level, and every two levels thereafter, a necromancer may select as a bonus feat any feat that has Corpsecrafter as a prerequisite.

Zone of Desecration (Su): Beginning at third level, a necromancer exudes an aura of desecration. This functions exactly like the Desecrate spell except for the following: The area of influence is only ten feet, centered on the necromancer, and it only affects allied undead creatures. At fifth level the area increases to a twenty foot radius, and at seventh level covers a forty foot radius around the necromancer.

Deathwatch (Su): At ninth level, a necromancer is so attuned to the look of death that she can see when creatures are nearing death. A necromancer is treated as if under the affect of the spell Deathwatch at all times. This ability can be suppressed as a free action.

The Walking Dead (Ex): At 10th level, a necromancer gains untold prowess over the dead. He gains the feat Undead Leadership as a bonus feat.

ZeroNumerous
2009-02-18, 04:21 PM
I might be biased, but I like it.

VelvetThunder
2009-03-26, 06:31 AM
Scythe Proficiency? That is some sweet delicious Fluff!

Xefas
2009-03-26, 06:46 AM
The alignment requirement is wonky. Just make it any non-good.

Also, the Scythe proficiency doesn't make a whole lot of sense outside of the very obtuse reference to the Grim Reaper. Even within that very limited homage, the idea of the Necromancer being a soul 'harvester' (hence the farming implement of the scythe) is flawed. They rip souls out of their afterlives and shove them into negative-energy-animated bodies, rather than 'harvesting' a 'crop' of living souls.

They're the very opposite of death (un-death, anyone?). They and the Reaper are on bad terms.

I suggest giving them their choice of one martial weapon proficiency like the Dread Necromancer class has.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-26, 07:35 AM
Scythe Proficiency? That is some sweet delicious Fluff!

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

The alignment requirement is wonky. Just make it any non-good.

Good point, thanks. Done.

Also, the Scythe proficiency doesn't make a whole lot of sense outside of the very obtuse reference to the Grim Reaper. Even within that very limited homage, the idea of the Necromancer being a soul 'harvester' (hence the farming implement of the scythe) is flawed. They rip souls out of their afterlives and shove them into negative-energy-animated bodies, rather than 'harvesting' a 'crop' of living souls.

They're the very opposite of death (un-death, anyone?). They and the Reaper are on bad terms.

Heh. Sorry, when I read that I just had an awesome mental image of a high-level Necromancer going at it scythe-to-scythe with the Reaper, with souls watching and waiting to see what their fate would be... :smallwink:

I suggest giving them their choice of one martial weapon proficiency like the Dread Necromancer class has.

Hmm...interesting suggestion, but I think I'm going to stand my ground on this one. The scythe proficiency wasn't intended to seriously improve the necromancer's melee capability, merely to add some fluff. If you (or one of your players) doesn't agree with that fluff, you can simply ignore that ability. Replacing it with a martial weapon proficiency of choice, on the other hand, does seriously improve their melee ability...remember, they already stage up one level in weapons (from limited to Simple, or Simple to Martial). Giving them one of their choice is essentially letting the staff-user who enters into this class jump all the way to a bastard sword, which wasn't my intention for the class.

JoshuaZ
2009-03-26, 11:21 AM
No substantial comments. I like this a lot.