PDA

View Full Version : Which Fiend is which?

Optimystik
2009-02-19, 12:12 AM
So the joke (which is a good one!) with the IFCC is that each fiend represents a specific evil alignment.

Lee - LE - Lawful Evil
Nero - NE - Neutral Evil
Cedrik - CE - Chaotic Evil.

It's fine that we know their names, but which name belongs to which Fiend? Has Rich really been planning the IFCC all this time? Playground, debate away!

My predictions:

Purple is Cedrik.
Arguments for: he seems to be the silly one ("Arms tired" joke,"Good gods, y'all!") and you'd expect a devil to be more serious... maybe?
Arguments against: he stands on the end, spouts the legalese, doesn't like being rushed when making a deal, and says nothing to Sabine in #380 (which fits if she is CE).

Orange is Nero.
Arguments for: Blander than the other two ("we are the IFCC," "a time-stop effect covered the island," "this is our slogan"); He stands in the middle (expected spot for a neutral) and his name card is the middle one in Qarr's hands.
Arguments against: Blandness could be law as well as neutrality; he mentions the finder's fee to sabine

Yellow is Lee.
Arguments for: He stands on the edge closest to Qarr; his nametag is at the top indicating it's the first one Qarr received. Also talks about "having permission" to intercede, which would matter more to a devil than a demon; he's also more serious than Purple, despite being more talkative.

magic9mushroom
2009-02-19, 03:40 AM
Yes. Yellow in addition to talking about permission, also mentions their PR campaign not having final approval. Again, devilish.

Also, it should be noted that although Purple spouts the legalese, he may not be being serious about it. He is excessively verbose, and since we can't hear tone, he might well be saying it mockingly.

Also, Purple has a 4 fingered hand, which makes him lopsided and unnatural. Demonic trait right there.

From this I'd conclude that Cedrik is Purple, but the other two I can't be sure.

Vizen
2009-02-19, 03:47 AM
Also, Purple has a 4 fingered hand

Which panel are you looking at? If its the one where they first appear, then its not a 4th finger, it's a bump in the clothing due to his arm.

Piscot
2009-02-19, 03:49 AM
Also, Purple has a 4 fingered hand, which makes him lopsided and unnatural. Demonic trait right there.

Where do you see any 4 fingers?

I personally think, that the first one is lawful, the middle one is neutral and the last one is chaotic. But i can't explain why, it's just a feeling a guess.

charl
2009-02-19, 04:00 AM
The feeling I get is that yellow is lawful evil. He only speaks when necessary and what he says is directly relevant to the situation at hand, and he talks about having to get final approval for a PR campaign.

Orange is neutral then, while purple, being the wacky one, is chaotic evil. It also matches their order, from left to right (the same order the Latin alphabet is read). By this I mean that when alignments are listed, lawful evil always comes first, followed by neutral evil, with chaotic evil being last.

Equester
2009-02-19, 08:50 AM
Where do you see any 4 fingers?

I personally think, that the first one is lawful, the middle one is neutral and the last one is chaotic. But i can't explain why, it's just a feeling a guess.

the second picture in the new comic, if you look fast the purple-eyed's left sleeve looks like a fourth deformed finger on his left hand. at least I assume that is where the idea come from.

Querzis
2009-02-19, 10:18 AM
I'm not too sure about the first two. I would assume the orange one is NE and the yellow one LE but really, the only thing I'm sure of is that Purple is the CE one. Why would spouting legalese be Lawfull (especially when that legalese could make V think twice about this deal). Hes having fun regardless of how serious this is, that make him chaotic as far as I'm concerned.

Nerdanel
2009-02-19, 11:50 AM
Also look at how they express themselves with poses and gestures.

Panel 3:
Yellow: Standing still.
Orange: Standing still.
Purple: Gesturing with both hands.

Panel 4:
Each giving the business card identically.

Panel 6:
Yellow: Gesturing with one hand.
Orange: Lifting head, gesturing with both hands.
Purple: Emoting with eyes, hands raised above head.

Panel 7:
Orange: Standing still.
Purple: Gesturing with one hand.

Panel 8:
Orange: Gesturing with two hands symmetrically.
Purple: Gesturing with two hands asymmetrically.

I think it's:
Yellow = Lee = LE
Orange = Nero = NE
Purple = Cedrik = CE

Gandal
2009-02-19, 02:26 PM
Ohhh. LEe, NEro, and CEdrik...and I agree with Nerdanel. Yellow = LE, Orange = NE, Purple = CE.

Optimystik
2009-02-20, 01:20 PM
Yes. Yellow in addition to talking about permission, also mentions their PR campaign not having final approval. Again, devilish.

Also, it should be noted that although Purple spouts the legalese, he may not be being serious about it. He is excessively verbose, and since we can't hear tone, he might well be saying it mockingly.

Good point. Purple does spout the legalese, but if anything that asterisk would prevent V from signing, which reinforces his Chaotic behavior. I also agree that the wacky one would be the demon. I'll edit my initial post.

Mariel Dragon
2009-02-20, 03:24 PM
There's another evidence:
Qarr is holding the cards slightly on top of each other, with Lee's being the bottom one in the stack and Cedrik's being the top one. If he proceeded to take them from left to right (in the Order they are standing), then the last card would naturally end up on top - the one from Cedrik.
So my guess is as well Lee - Left; Nero - Middle; Cedrik - Right

Edit: Maybe I should read the opening post more closely :smallannoyed:

Le Piaf
2009-02-21, 07:42 PM
also, note that the edges of Lee's card are parallel to panel border, while the third one (Cedrik's) is at random angle, and the second one is in between.

Clearly, parallel equals lawful. :smallbiggrin:

also hi everybody, have been lurking for a few years until now

Moriarty
2009-02-21, 09:19 PM
nope, Lees card isnt parallel to the border of the panel, the right end is a bit lower than the left

Optimystik
2009-02-21, 09:28 PM
also hi everybody, have been lurking for a few years until now

Welcome to the forums! The community appreciates you, even if the server is groaning :smallsmile:

Evil DM Mark3
2009-02-22, 06:42 PM
Which is which? I am guessing that Mr Purple is LE due to his footnoting and loop hole covering and Mr Orange is CE due to the more mirthful and flippant nature of his comments, leaving Mr Yellow as NE.

BRC
2009-02-22, 06:46 PM
From the looks of the souls they are offering.
Orange offers a conjurer who commanded armies, sounds pretty LE to me.
Yellow offers a sorcerer, focus is put on his spontaneity, so I'm thinking CE
which leave Purple as NE.

Eldan
2009-02-22, 06:56 PM
Hopelessness (as in, the Grey Wastes) also seems to indicate NE for mr. purple.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-23, 03:15 PM
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on this board, or in the comic.
Which cloaked beings do you think are which? We have purple, yellow and orange, each representing either daemons, devils, or demons. Who's who?

Morty
2009-02-23, 03:21 PM
My guess is that the orange one is a devil, the violet one is a daemon and the yellow one is a demon. I base this on the people whose souls they offer - someone who commands huge armies is likely to be LE, a necromancer called Destroyer of Hope has a NE vibe to her and the sorcerer definetly looks like a CE type.

Zanaril
2009-02-23, 03:24 PM
However, that goes against the hints we get from their speech. I think purple is CE, although am not sure about the other two.

Nimrod's Son
2009-02-24, 12:46 AM
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere
Yep, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105023)

Roland St. Jude
2009-02-24, 08:55 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Multiple threads on the fiends' alignments/colors/etc. have been combined. Please adhere to the one thread per topic rule to avoid these types of mergings.

Mr. Pin
2009-02-24, 10:29 PM
I think that we need to pay more attention to who summoned (or created an image of) who-

Yellow Dude summoned Jephton, a silly and chaotic looking guy. this indicates him being Cedric the demon

Purple Man summoned Haera Bloodsoak, Destroyer of Hope. something about the name and expression seems neutral to me. my money's on Nero the Yugoloth.

Orange Guy summoned Gononron. The whole empire building and conquering thing, plus having the armies, whiffs of Lawfulness. plus he just looks lawful. This would seem to indicate Lee the devil.

of course, I could be completely wrong, but I've got a gut feeling about it... it just seems right, somehow.

Trazoi
2009-02-24, 10:42 PM
I always thought the purple one was Cedric, as he just "sounds" more chaotic in terms of his speech. If that was true, I'd peg the orange one as lawful (and thus Lee) due to his summoned soul being the most obviously lawful one, leaving yellow as Nero and neutral.

The only crinkle in that theory is that the necromancy would be chaotic evil and the sorceror netural evil, but that's not beyond the bounds of believability.

I'm fully prepared to be wrong about Cedric and Nero, but I'm pretty sure the orange one is Lee. :smallbiggrin:

Zanaril
2009-02-25, 02:31 AM
I always thought the purple one was Cedric, as he just "sounds" more chaotic in terms of his speech. If that was true, I'd peg the orange one as lawful (and thus Lee) due to his summoned soul being the most obviously lawful one, leaving yellow as Nero and neutral.

The only crinkle in that theory is that the necromancy would be chaotic evil and the sorceror netural evil, but that's not beyond the bounds of believability.

We don't know that they showed V the soul that belonged to them. They could easily have jumbled them up, I mean they are all working together.

Wraithfighter
2009-02-25, 10:28 PM
Just a thought...

We're talking about a Devil that's willing to deal with a Demon, who are known to break deals of all sorts and generally be an embodiment of chaos, and a Demon that's willing to make a pact with a Devil and, presumably, keep his word for the most part.

They don't exactly sound like the typical Demon and Devil, do they?

I'd avoid drawing conclusions on them based on the actions of an average or stereotypical Demon and Devil...

Flickerdart
2009-02-25, 10:57 PM
Surprise! None of them are fiends. They're all kobolds on stilts.

Optimystik
2009-02-26, 02:11 AM
We don't know that they showed V the sould that bolonged to them. They could easily have jumbled them up, I mean they are all working together.

This is an important point. Do the IFCC "pool" souls? If so, the particular mage summoned up by each wouldn't be an indicator of alignment.

I think watching their mannerisms is the key.

Ceric
2009-02-26, 02:35 AM
Surprise! None of them are fiends. They're all kobolds on stilts.

This. :smalltongue:

Lunawarrior0
2009-02-26, 09:55 AM
Well, actually they do seem to keep track of which soul belongs to which. in the 4th line, right most panel, purple says "each one of us will get your soul for the same amount of time that you are under the effects of their Soul Splice." The fact that he says "under the effects of their Soul Splice" implies (at least to me) that the splices can end at different times, thus what soul belongs to who would be important.

Edit: It is very possible that I am reading too much into this though.

Rotipher
2009-02-26, 03:05 PM
My guess is that the orange one is a devil, the violet one is a daemon and the yellow one is a demon. I base this on the people whose souls they offer - someone who commands huge armies is likely to be LE, a necromancer called Destroyer of Hope has a NE vibe to her and the sorcerer definetly looks like a CE type.

But who says the Giant isn't playing against type with the three souls? Iuz of the Greyhawk setting, for one, would certainly disagree with the idea that only LE villains get to command huge armies, and making the evil sorcerer's soul the Lawful one would help to distinguish his personality from Xykon's.

awibs
2009-02-26, 04:07 PM
Just a thought...

We're talking about a Devil that's willing to deal with a Demon, who are known to break deals of all sorts and generally be an embodiment of chaos, and a Demon that's willing to make a pact with a Devil and, presumably, keep his word for the most part.

They don't exactly sound like the typical Demon and Devil, do they?

I'd avoid drawing conclusions on them based on the actions of an average or stereotypical Demon and Devil...

In fact, doesn't this sound suspiciously like a Yugoloth plot?

"The members of the highest yugoloth castes view the entire course of the Blood War as their own to control and manipulate until they decide to end it, unify the Lower Planes, and turn their attention to the planes of Good.[2]" (wikipedia, with a reference to ^ The Dark of the War: A DM's Guide, p 9-10, 26-27, and "Squaring the Circle," p 39 and 94 of War Games: An Adventure Book, both sources from Hellbound: The Blood War by Colin McComb and Monte Cook.

Incidentally, does anyone recall if the Imp has ever interacted with Sabine? As imps are Devils and succubi are Demons, they should hate each other racially, shouldn't they? That should give some kind of in-cannon perspective on how badly Devils and Demons of OOTS-world react to each other.

David Argall
2009-02-26, 04:12 PM
does anyone recall if the Imp has been drawn to interact with Sabine?
the two have never met on camera, and the implications of Qarr's behavior is that he has had little, if any, contact with her in about the past year. Not that the odds are good earlier, but we lack information.

Kish
2009-02-26, 04:15 PM
Incidentally, does anyone recall if the Imp has ever interacted with Sabine? As imps are Devils and succubi are Demons, they should hate each other racially, shouldn't they? That should give some kind of in-cannon perspective on how badly Devils and Demons of OOTS-world react to each other.
This would require Rich to formally establish Sabine as a demon--something he's been quite careful to avoid doing.

Beans
2009-02-26, 07:28 PM
One point I have in favor of Purple being Cedrik:
He wisecracks informally, then turns around and spouts legal garglemesh. Sounds to me like flexibility, which is pretty Chaotic.

awibs
2009-02-27, 05:38 AM
This would require Rich to formally establish Sabine as a demon--something he's been quite careful to avoid doing.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0394.html

Does this not establish her as a succubus?

Is there another form of "evil incarnation of illicit sex"?

She's not a furie/erinyie. Her wings aren't feathered, she lacks snake hair, and as also established my 394, her motives are more random and simply sexual than long term vengeful. Heck, she wanders off to do something self-serving in the *middle* of "a totally evil plot, here."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html

http://everything2.com/title/Tanar%2527ri
http://everything2.com/title/Baatezu

Do you know of any other temptress fiend forms that I don't?

Optimystik
2009-03-02, 05:17 AM
This latest comic has pretty much cemented yellow as Lee in my mind.

He is the "nitpicker" as Purple puts it.
He goes to painstaking lengths to explain the alternative; the loophole that sinks any duress or necessity defense that V might have had. The others chime in of course, but he starts it off.

Secondly, purple's attitude smacks of Chaotic, making him Cedrik. In addition to the "nitpicker" comment, his statement of "Contracts are for people with something to hide" is quite derisive of legal systems in general.

Orange is therefore neutral (Nero) by elimination. He also makes this very neutral evil comment: "We simply don't need to trick you if we can get what we want by playing straight." By that statement, he is equally fine with both lying and telling the truth.

It's still not a fully certain thing, but I'm past 75% sure on all three of them at this point.

hamishspence
2009-03-14, 04:56 AM
Seeing as we now have confirmation that Yellow is Lee, but the soul he contributed seems very Chaotic "tear down creation just to see if you can", does this suggest that the "Alignment is told by name" theory might not be correct after all?

Demonicbunny
2009-03-14, 06:05 AM
Yes, and he's also the boss of Sabine, who turns out to be a succubus (thus a demon and chaotic).

So unless Lee is a mistake, then they have different names.

Tingel
2009-03-14, 06:09 AM
So unless Lee is a mistake, then they have different names.
There are more options than those two. Lee could also be a lawful evil fiend with chaotic evil underlings - not that unlikely considering the nature of the IFCC.

She's not a furie/erinyie.
The singular of Erinyes is Erinys, not Erinyie.

Undead Prince
2009-03-14, 07:16 AM
Seeing as we now have confirmation that Yellow is Lee, but the soul he contributed seems very Chaotic "tear down creation just to see if you can", does this suggest that the "Alignment is told by name" theory might not be correct after all?

The assumptions:

a) The IFCC's entire purpose is making different alignments work together.

b) Sabine is Chaotic Evil (formal proof: Succubus, circumstantial evidence: promiscuity)

c) The Soul Splices are obvious in their alignment (Yellow/Jephthon = CE, Purple/Haera = NE, Orange/Gononron = LE);

d) The fiends' behaviour is inconclusive (they spout lawful-sounding legalese and do chaotic-looking faceturns almost at the same time, e.g. Lee with his "alternate plan" speech).

The possibilites:

1) Sabine, a Chaotic Evil Succubus, may work under a Lawful Evil Director;

2) Directors may have command of souls with alignments other than their own;

3) For reasons of synergy and to showcase devotion to IFCC cause (IFCC seems to like modern buzzwords), the Directors may have taken aliases of different alignments than their own; i.e. CE is Lee, NE is Cedrick, and LE is Nero.

Exclusion:

#1 is entirely possible. So is #3. #2, however, stretches things too much: despite all their cooperation, the Fiends probably wouldn't be able to change the entire nature of the afterlife. Devils still receive LE souls, Demons the CE, and Yugoloths the NE.

Combination:

The idea that Yellow is CE coincides with both Jephthon and Sabine.

Conclusion:

Assumption #3 is correct, and the fiends' aliases do not match their actual alignment. Yellow = Lee = Jephthon = CE, Purple = Cedrick = Haera = NE, Orange = Nero = Gononron = LE.

Eldan
2009-03-14, 07:43 AM
My theory is still that they are, in fact, all three of them Arcanoloths who just pretend to represent all three sides.

magic9mushroom
2009-03-14, 08:49 AM
People are making some weird assumptions here.

Firstly, taking the alignment of the fiends from that of the soul-splicees is a really bad idea. The fiends speak more, and are also Outsiders, which means that deducing their alignment from their personalities is less prone to error.

Looking at the Fiends' personalities, we find that Lee (yellow) acts like a devil, with his closing of the loophole etc, and Cedrik (purple) acts Chaotic, with his constant joking and going out of his way to explain legalese.

Hence Lee is LE, Nero is NE and Cedrik is CE, as is semi-obvious to begin with.

Some will say that this introduces a contradiction with Sabine working for Lee.

This brings me to my second point.

Sabine is a Succubus. She is also, however, homebrewed. She also doesn't act entirely CE and the whole demon/devil confusion has to mean something.

Being a LE succubus just adds to the confusion, as that makes it completely impossible to tell whether she counts as a devil or demon.

Conclusion:

Lee = LE = Jephthon = Yellow
Nero = NE = Gononron = Orange
Cedrik = CE = Haera = Purple.

OOTS_Rules 2
2009-03-14, 09:45 AM
Rich could be invoking his power to mix 4E and 3E rules for the sake of the plot. In 4E, succubi are devils. In 3E, devils are Lawful. Therefore, he may be blending the two rules to move the plot along.

SoC175
2009-03-14, 09:46 AM
Conclusion:

Lee = LE = Jephthon = Yellow
Nero = NE = Gononron = Orange
Cedrik = CE = Haera = Purple.
The thing is that this doesn't match the three souls.

Haera is clearly NE, Jephthon is CE and Gononron is definately LE

magic9mushroom
2009-03-14, 09:54 AM
The thing is that this doesn't match the three souls.

Haera is clearly NE, Jephthon is CE and Gononron is definately LE

You miss the point.

Those are what the souls seem to be, however, as the PHB so often reminds us, alignment is not a straightjacket.

It does, however, define outsiders.

Hence that Lee seems LE and Cedrik seems CE trumps your analysis.

Matuse
2009-03-14, 12:11 PM
Well, the orange one is absolutely NOT Lee, since the orange one refered to Lee as..well, not himself.

They also talk about speaking to Sabine in comic 380. Where they are dressed the same as now and speaking in the same word bubbles.

In 380, Lee is taking point on giving Sabine instructions about world-altering events when she finds out about the Snarl.

However, she works for "us", and since they seem to work equally well with succubi (chaotic), and imps (lawful)...as you'd expect them to do, given the nature of their commission...it doesn't say anything about their various alignments.

If you assume that the names are a play on the alignment initials (and I agree, it probably is, but you never know...everyone thought Miko was male until her hood came off), then Yellow is the Lawful one.

It is important to not place TOO much emphasis on little words, actions, body posture, and similar things. A lawful person can be flighty and wierd, a chaotic one can be serious and detailed. Don't confuse the names of the terms for the terms themselves. A Chaotic person does not act chaotically. They act Chaotically. The word is a term-of-art in the D&D universe and DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME THING AS ITS NORMAL USAGE. Similarly a lawful person does not...follow the law. The law and being Lawful couldn't have less to do with each other.

Porthos
2009-03-14, 12:38 PM
People can tie themselves up in logical straightjackets all they want (and believe me, I did so in regards to the IFCC a week back :smalltongue:). The simple fact of the matter is that Comic #637 blew all of the theories about the IFCC out of the water.

Right now all we can do is guess and infer about which fiend is which and what alignments that they have.

We, literally, only know two things:

A) The Yellow Fiend is Director Lee

and

B) Sabine is a succubus.

Everything else is just theory. Very well established and well thought out theory, perhaps. But theory nonetheless.

Now saying all of that, I think we can say with 99% probability that Ganonron is Lawful Evil, Haera Bloodsoak is Neutral Evil, and Jephton the Unholy is Chaotic Evil. Yes, alignments aren't straightjackets. But not to that degree.

At the very least, I'm sticking to my guns that Jephton is CE. Ain't no way that "tear down the world, just to see if you can" is anything other CE. No way, no how.

But just because each fiend has control over a certain soul, doesn't actually mean that much. Why? Because per DnD rules (and centuries of traditions) souls are bought and traded throughout the Lower Planes. Also, a Lawful Evil devil might have gone to a Chaotic Evil person and done the "Sell Your Soul to me when you die" gambit. Nothing in the rules state that only LE characters can be tempted by Lawful Evil fiends. So this means that, logical theories to the contrary, a Lawful Evil Lee might control a Chaotic Evil soul.

It is possible, however unlikely.

Sabine (despite the "one in a million" Always Chaotic Evil alignment tag) might be Neutral or Chaotic Evil. Lee's, Cedrik's, and Nero's names might just be coincidence (or deliberate red herrings if one prefers :smalltongue:) and therefore not be a subtle acknowledgment of alignment.

While normally these would be coincidences too far, the very nature of the IFCC (building cross alignment ties between the Lower Planes) makes such coincidences plausible, if not likely.

So, again, all we know is what Sabine and the Yellow Fiend are. We can very probably infer what Ganonron, Haera, and Jephton are. Everything else is debatable.

Connington
2009-03-14, 01:13 PM
I'd argue that trying to deduce the fiends alignments by their actions and words is so far pointless. Whoever is the demon has clearly managed to perfect a form of chaoticness that allows for binding contracts, alliances and the like. At the same time, whoever the devil is has clearly cultivated a form of lawfulness that allows for underhanded dealing.

What I mean to say is that none of the fiends display an unambiguous alignment. The souls on the other hand, are all but caricatures of their alignments, and as any form of soul "sharing" or "pulling" is highly unlikely, there the best information to go on.

I'd like to point out the ridiculousness of condemning trying to classify the fiends by the alignment of the souls they offer, when said soul's respective alignments are very clear, while at the same time proclaiming the fiends alignments by their far less clear portrayals.

Godskook
2009-03-14, 02:40 PM
So, the choice is using clear portrayals of unclear relevance versus using unclear portrayals of clear relevance.... Sounds like its time to break out the chicken and egg.

Undead Prince
2009-03-27, 09:51 PM
Conclusion:

Assumption #3 is correct, and the fiends' aliases do not match their actual alignment. Yellow = Lee = Jephthon = CE, Purple = Cedrick = Haera = NE, Orange = Nero = Gononron = LE.

New data in #640 supports this conclusion:

The last panel refers to college sports, specifically Duke Blue Devils and Arizona State Sun Devils, most likely basketball due to the comment by orange in the previous panel.

Also, Duke of Hell is a title in the Nine Hells (directly below the Lords of the Nine).

So, Orange attended Devil University and thus is a Devil himself.

[TS] Shadow
2009-03-27, 10:58 PM

Also, Duke of Hell is a title in the Nine Hells (directly below the Lords of the Nine).

Yes, but Orange has acted a bit spontaneous to be lawful. See the popcorn and expressions he shows. I still think that Yellow is lawful due to his behavior.

chionophile
2009-03-28, 01:38 AM

I somehow doubt that the inclusion of Duke was meant to imply "Duke of Hell." There just aren't that many well known schools that have a devil for a mascot. I call coincidence. I do agree, though, that this is meant to imply that the orange one is a devil.

It's also definitely a basketball reference due to the timing, the title of the strip and the fact that both of those teams are very well known, usually very good basketball teams.

Edit: mixed up Arizona and Arizona St.

hamishspence
2009-03-28, 04:49 AM
Maybe Law can be slightly spontaneous in OOTS-verse. Not that implausible, given that even in D&D, the novels tend to portray devils as capable of improvisation- they may usually be planners and plotters, but they aren't totally incapable of spontaniety.

Selene
2009-03-28, 05:33 AM

Yes, I agree with this conclusion, and with the rest of the theory. (Yellow = Lee = Jephthon = CE, Purple = Cedrick = Haera = NE)

We know Lee = Yellow, and after 640, we can be pretty sure Devil/LE = Orange. Which means that Lee is not the devil, and their names have nothing to do with their alignments.

V'icternus
2009-03-28, 06:18 AM
One thing I've considered is that the fiend that was speaking to Sabine wasn't actually the one she works under. They generally do speak as an organisation.

hamishspence
2009-03-28, 06:46 AM
The Yellow fiend is Director Lee and is the one who is referred to as "a succubus is working under him"

Also, that fiend is the one who asks Sabine to "notify them of anything tipping the balance in their favour."

At the moment, with Orange fiend going to university with two Devil Mascots, we have two pieces of evidence suggesting he's the LE one- the Soul, and the Mascots.

And we have two pieces of evidence suggesting Lee, the Yellow Fiend, is CE- the Soul, and Sabine.

Nekomata
2009-03-28, 09:23 AM
Shadow;5929154']Yes, but Orange has acted a bit spontaneous to be lawful. See the popcorn and expressions he shows. I still think that Yellow is lawful due to his behavior.
But he prepared the popcorn beforehand. Actually, it seemed to me he had the whole routine planned: return to home plane, make popcorn, watch tv, enjoy the show. Sounds lawfull. :smallwink:

motub
2009-03-28, 12:34 PM
But he prepared the popcorn beforehand.
How precisely beforehand? Orange is seen popping the popcorn "on the fly" in #637. Also, wouldn't "lawful" share?... which Orange does not even offer to do, much less actually do.

Also, why do people think that taking a photo with 2 Devil mascots (from other schools) means that Orange went to Devil U?

My theory from the main thread:

---------------------------------

Or maybe Orange Fiend has just always liked Devils (despite being a Daemon or Demon himself), and the whole IFCC idea was his, to make the Infernal Planes more comfortable for his "unnatural" way of life .

If that was the case, then (I think) it would be most likely that Orange Fiend is a Daemon, who seems (to me) to be the most "flexible" that he would a) appreciate the useful qualities of a stick-in-the-mud Lawful and a crazy-as-a-fox Chaotic, as well as b) be able to work with them both effectively (and enable them to work with each other as well).

I've also been wondering if they haven't been playing around with "Who's who" just a little bit (as an aside, the same way that somebody might doodle idly, or tap their fingers on a table; idle minor deception).

In other words, I wonder if they might not have "traded clothes" for the course of this endeavor.

I will take it as true that the three "use names" of the demons are Lee, Cedric, and Nero; I believe it to be true that one of them is NE, one of them is CE, and one of them is LE; I also believe that one of them expresses yellow magic (which associates it with one of the alignments), one expresses orange magic (which associates it with another of the three alignments) and the third expresses purple magic (which associates it with the third alignment).

But it seems to me that it would be an awful big giveaway if you could identify which individual fiend was which with the information presented to the naked eye, since then you'd know the alignment of each individual and would have a better chance of predicting their actions and limitations.

Of course, we're not having much success, so maybe I'm wrong, but these guys are cagey. I wouldn't put it past them to disguise themselves as each other at all, even in front of Qarr (who hasn't been working for them very long, after all, and is still a lower-level functionary, even if he is an up-and-comer).

--------------------------------------

In other words, I don't think we know anything from the available evidence, except that the convention is that the Yellow fiend is known commonly as Lee to "the general public" (meaning anyone not "management").

We have no assurance that that is in fact who he is (it's possible that Purple, for example, is actually Lee, but in the name of misdirection they have all agreed to call Yellow Lee, because Orange pointed to him when he said the name (and also because Yellow was the one who talked to Sabine)).

Nor do we have any assurance that even if that was his name (which it might not be in that those might just be made-up names-- stage names-- that have nothing to do with their actual names), that the whole LEe, CEdric, and NEro thing might just be a private joke (they are fiends; how do fiends idly entertain themselves? with little minor misdirections and whatnot). So that everyone, both in and out of the comic, would think that the first two letters had something to do with the alignment, and spend time trying to match the name to the alignment, thinking they had achieved something, while missing something fairly important (sleight-of-hand), because they were so focused on this relatively minor issue.

Not that I'm not interested in the "which one is which" issue-- I came looking for this thread, because I tried to figure it out myself and got stuck, and I knew that someone else had probably started a thread to discuss it-- but it has just occurred to me that I gain nothing (in terms of increased understanding) by knowing which fiend is which. Really, what difference does it make? Except that I could maybe call them by name instead of Lee, Orange and Purple.

But frankly, Lee, Orange and Purple works, too :smallsmile: .

Volkov
2009-03-28, 04:21 PM
It's been confirmed that the yellow one is Lee, the purple one who stands in the middle must be Nero, and by process of elimination the orange one must be Cedrick.

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-29, 01:54 AM
the purple one who stands in the middle must be Nero
What makes you say that? In the majority of panels that he's appeared in, the purple one has been stood on either the left or the right.