PDA

View Full Version : The Vampire Daywalker (PEACH)

Arachu
2009-02-19, 01:18 AM
Daywalker Vampire

Unlike ordinary vampires, who are brought to an almost force-of-nature-status, Daywalker vampires are closer to what they were. While they lack many of the vampire’s immense strengths, they also lack many of their weaknesses (sunlight included). Though it is possible to kill a Daywalker as one may kill a man, it remains far more difficult. Vampire Daywalkers are fierce rivals of the vampires, a rivalry that has brought great tension to both sides.

Daywalkers tend to cluster together in small groups or even live amongst humanoids. Their features are softer and more pleasant than their kin, and their eyes are just a tinge of a lighter version of their color in life. Unlike typical vampires, Daywalkers have unusually sharp fingernails that act as claws. They use these claws for the same purpose that any wolf uses his teeth; to hunt. A Daywalker’s fangs slide out of its gums over its teeth, a feature that has saved them many generations of hiding. One of their larger advantages however is the immunity to sunlight that has earned them their name. They are still nocturnal, but the sun does not burn them. They even cast shadows and reflections!

Creating a Daywalker

“Daywalker” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature)

A Daywalker uses all of the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

The creature’s type changes to Augmented Humanoid. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice:
Change all current and future hit dice to D12s.

Speed:
Same as the base creature. Though they prefer to avoid deep water, Daywalkers are not vulnerable to immersion in running water.

Armor Class:
The base creature’s natural armor bonus increases by +6 and a +4 racial dodge bonus is added. Any time in which the subject would be denied his dexterity bonus, also remove the dodge bonus.

Attack:
A Daywalker retains all the attacks of the base creature and also gains a claw attack if it did not already have one. If the base creature can use weapons, the Daywalker retains this ability. A creature with natural weapons retains those weapons. If the base creature already has a claw attack, add the claw damage of the Daywalker as a bonus. A Daywalker fighting without weapons uses either its claw attack or primary natural weapon (if it has any). If armed with one weapon, it often uses its free hand’s claw or its primary natural weapon as a secondary attack.

Damage:
Daywalkers have claw attacks. If the base creature already has claws, add the value of a claw one size category shorter as a bonus to damage.

Size Damage
Fine 1
Diminutive 1D2
Tiny 2D2
Small 1D4
Medium 2D4
Large 2D6
Huge 3D4
Gargantuan 2D8
Colossal 4D6

(I realize that most humanoids are not diminutive or colossal, I add those size values for the purpose of “just in case” circumstances.)
Special Attacks
A vampire retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below.

Blood Drain (Ex)
A vampire can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points.

Call of the Pack (Su)

Vampire Daywalkers have a strong kinship with the canines of the world. Once per day, a Daywalker can summon 5D6 small canines (such as dogs) or 4D6 large canines (such as wolves), depending on whether such a pack is nearby. A Daywalker who has had peaceful contact with the pack they are summoning can summon 3 additional canines from it. Due to this ability, canines almost never attack a Daywalker if they can help to, and may even follow them around.

Fearsome Gaze (Ex)
A Daywalker can horrify opponents into submission by looking into their eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, but the Daywalker must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. The targets must succeed at a Will save (DC 10+Charisma bonus+ ½ HD) or be frightened for D6 turns. If they succeed at the save, they merely become shaken for D6 turns.

Create Spawn (Su)
A humanoid slain by a Daywalker’s blood drain attack raises as a Night Stalker 1D4 days later.

Unlike ordinary vampires, who infect victims with their bite, Daywalkers must force the victim to drink at least three ounces of Daywalker blood. Unlike undead vampires, Daywalkers have blood and do bleed. The blood used for the process is typically drained from the Daywalker in question. The victim enters an immense, feral rage once their bodies begin to rebuild themselves 1D4 hours later. During this rage, their fingers, mouths, and occasionally their eyes bleed lightly. This does not affect the victim’s Constitution. This enraged state affects the victim statistically as a Barbarian’s Rage ability, and the victim loses the ability to sort out allies and prey during it. In other words, they’ll attack anything with a pulse, attempting to beat it to death with their bare hands. A popular tactic to prevent this is to tie the victim securely or put them in a position from which they cannot escape. One hour after the victim enters the rage, they fall unconscious, entering a coma-esque state for 5 hours. When they awaken, they are Daywalkers.

Special Qualities:
A vampire retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains those described below.

Damage Reduction (Su)
A Daywalker has damage reduction 10/silver and magic.
Fast Healing (Ex)
A Daywalker heals 5 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If it is reduced to 0 hit points, it enters the dying state as it would have before its transformation. Since they gain Diehard as a bonus feat, Daywalkers attempt to flee if possible when reduced to negative hit points. If they are cornered, however, they make a last ditch attempt to survive by reentering the feral rage mentioned below the ‘Create Spawn’ entry. If they kill all of their enemies, they immediately pass out. During this state, they are helpless but stable, and they can regenerate while they are unconscious.

Resistances (Ex)
A vampire has resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10. In addition, they gain immunity to compulsion effects.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +6, Con +3, Int +1 Wis +2, Cha +4.

Feats:
Daywalkers gain Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, and Spring Attack as bonus feats; assuming that they meet the prerequisites and do not already have these feats. In addition, they gain the Diehard feat even if they do not meet the prerequisites.

Environment:
Any; usually the same as the base creature.

Organization:
Solitary, Pair, Group (3-5), Gang (6-14), or Brotherhood (15-30)
Brotherhoods often reside in large areas such as fortress ruins or caverns. They are civilized.

Challenge Rating:
Same as base creature +2.

Treasure:
Double Standard.

Alignment:
Any nongood.

Advancement:
By character class.

Level Adjustment:
Same as base creature +7.

Daywalker Weaknesses:
Though they differ from a vampire’s weaknesses, weaknesses are still present.

Repelling a Daywalker:
Daywalkers tend to avoid running water or contact with wolfsbane if they can avoid it, and won’t cross a river unless forced to. They also dislike sunlight, though it does not harm them.

Killing a Daywalker:
Killing a Daywalker is no different than killing a person, though it is more difficult. Though they bleed, they cannot die from bleeding, nor can they die from drowning. They can, however, die from poisoning or substantial bodily damage. It is possible to kill a Daywalker by irreparably damaging the body (-25 hit points (though you’ll be attacking a corpse anyway, they may still regenerate if tended to by another Daywalker)), but the only reliable way to kill them is to burn their bodies or sever their heads. In other words, leave nothing around to regenerate.
In addition, Daywalkers cannot re-grow limbs, though if their limbs are pressed to their once-holdings they may reattach after 30 minutes.

Daywalker Characters:
Daywalkers cannot be of Good alignment, which may lead to the loss of certain class benefits.

Daywalker clerics retain the ability to turn undead if they already had it.

Daywalker sorcerers or wizards can gain canines as familiars. If it is a small canine, such as a dog, it grants +3 listen checks. If it is a large canine, such as a wolf, it grants +2 Reflex saves. Unlike vampires, Daywalkers can have other animals as familiars.

Nightstalker
Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 3D12+3 (20 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 natural), Touch 13, Flat-Footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2 /+5
Attack: Claw +5 melee (2D4+4)
Full Attack: Claw +5 melee (2D4+4), Claw +5 melee (2D4+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Fearsome Gaze
Special Qualities: +2 turn resistance, damage reduction 5/magic, darkvision 80 ft, fast healing 2, Resistance to Cold 10, Undead Traits
Saves: Fort +1 Ref +5 Will +7
Abilities: Str 16 Dex 16 Con - Int 7 Wis 17 Cha 14
Skills: Hide +14, Jump +12, Listen +11, Move Silently +15, Search +13, Spot +11
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Toughness, Spring Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or Pack (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: —

Nightstalkers are disheveled, primal creatures that result from a Daywalker draining a man of blood until death. Nightstalkers only barely look as they did in life, though they retain some features. Nightstalkers tear off any armor they have on, though they tend to leave clothing on. A Nightstalker typically tends to see a target and hunt it down, never revealing itself until close to its quarry. They tend to jump as quickly as they can in order to maul their prey on their claws, and they even disembowel other victims. They eat their victims for sustenance, and anyone killed by a Nightstalker remains very much dead after the attack. Thankfully, this is one disease that cannot spread.

Nightstalkers understand any languages they knew in life, though they no longer care to speak them. All they care about is their predatory instincts.

In combat, Nightstalkers tend to spring out from cramped or dark areas directly at their prey, attacking with their claws on contact. In the proceeding round, they attempt to grapple their opponent. If they succeed at pinning their prey, they attack it with a single-minded, bloodlust-ridden fury. If they fail at the grapple, they may begin to attack the opponent or fall back to set up traps. No single Nightstalker will attack more than one opponent at once, and no pack will attack a group twice their size. Nightstalkers are very methodic about their hunting.

The Mentalist
2009-02-19, 01:46 AM
I like it although on your Call the pack ability is it supposed to be 4d6 small and 5d6 large?

Arachu
2009-02-19, 02:10 AM
You mean, like, all at once? I'm not really sure about that...

Daywalkers tend to gather in mid-to-large size groups. If, say, you're fighting six and three of them combine their calls to summon about 20 coyotes each, you're then put in a pretty large battle as it is. Plus, groups of dogs and groups of wolves tend to keep a relative distance from each other anyway...

And, you know, the numbers are kinda based off that Vampire summon ability :smalltongue:

The Mentalist
2009-02-19, 02:11 AM
I was referring to:

"Daywalker can summon 4D6 small canines (such as dogs) or 5D6 large canines (such as wolves),"

Should the roll not be reversed?

Arachu
2009-02-19, 02:20 AM
:smallredface: oops

Actually, I think I meant to do that while I was 'brewing, but typed wrong...

On it

The Mentalist
2009-02-19, 02:26 AM
Do you mind if I snag this? I'm running a horror campaign and I'd like to spring this on them as an ally, just when they start getting paranoid.

Arachu
2009-02-19, 02:55 AM
I would be honored if you sicced this creature on your players :smallbiggrin:

*Remember to keep the Nightstalker :smallamused:*

The Mentalist
2009-02-19, 02:57 AM
They were just as important to the plan.

D Knight
2009-02-19, 11:58 PM
finialy away to make Blade and have still kick some serious but. All that aside this looks sweet and i think i might be able to play one IF my DM lets me.

Pie Guy
2009-02-20, 10:57 PM
Well, now I can only think of a chef.

"Mmmm... Good soup-BLEARGH!"