PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of the Night (Creature)

Foeofthelance
2006-09-16, 09:40 PM
True Gargoyle
Character Race
Medium Monstrous Humanoid

True Gargoyles are nocturnal warriors who serve as guardians for castles, small cities, or even the occasional noble. Gargoyles prefer to live in coastal areas with plenty of cliffs, as it aids their ability to glide. If they can not have cliffs in which to live, they will settle for large hills or mountains. Gargoyles will make deals with humans, serving as nocturnal defenders for castles and such. They prefer to live atop the highest reaches of the buildings, for much the same reason they prefer cliffs.

Abilities
Strength +6
Constitution +2
Wisdom -4
Charisma -4
Natural Armor +2

True Gargoyles are strong, and heal well. Unfortunately, their monstrous appearance tends to frighten people, and they are easily fooled and persuaded. This tends to make them slightly suspicious of other races, though they make strong friendships with those they trust.

Attacks
True Gargoyles do not generally use weapons. They are proficient with their claws and tails instead. They can make two claw attacks at their normal BAB, followed by a tail attack at a -5 penalty when full attacking. The damage for their claws is 1d8, while the tail does 1d6. These are considered natural weapons for the gargoyles, and thus do not risk Attacks of Oppurtunity.

Special Abilites

Glided Flight
True Gargoyles do not fly, so much as glide with extreme ease. When a gargoyle flies it does so at a speed of forty feet a round, with good manouvering ability. In order to glide, a gargoyle must either make a running jump, with a DC of 15, or jump/fall from a height of at least thirty feet. If they fall or jump from such a height, a gargoyle does need to make any checks, and may immeadiately use their ability to fly.

Fast Healing 5. Gargoyles heal extremely quickly, allowing them to shrug off most minor wounds with ease.

Stone By Day
True Gargoyles are the ultimate nocturnal creatures. During the daylight hours they transform into stone statues of themselves. The transformation occurs at dawn precisely, each day with out any interruptions. When a True Gargoyle dies it forms into a statue. When in the staue form a gargoyle is totally helpless, unable to move or attack. They can not be the target of charms, phantasms, or any other sort of mind influencing ability. A gargoyle in statue forms regains any lost hit points, loses and negative effects of any natural poison or diseases. If the disease or posion is magical in origin then it continues to affect the gargoyle, though it does not affect him while he is statue.

Favored Class: Barbarian
LA +1/2?

Sample Gargoyle

Goliath
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Lv 12 Barbarian

HP 81/81
AC 14
Initiative +0

Strength 24
Dexterity 11
Constitution 14
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 7
Charisma 9

Stats Rolled 18,11,12,12,11,13

Attacks
2 Claws +19/+9 2d8+7 each
Tail +14 1d6+10

Saves

Fort +10
Reflex +4
Will +2

Skills

Jump 24
Climb 22
Intimidate 14
Survival 13
Handle Animal 14

Feats'

Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Acrobatic
Power Attack
Improved Overrun

Special Abilites
Glided Flight
Stone By Day
Fast Healing 5
Fast Movement
Illiteracy
Rage 4/day
Trap Sense +3
Uncanny Dodge
Improved Uncanny Dodge
Damage Reduction 2/-
Greater Rage

I admit it. I recently picked up the first and second seasons. So here are the questions then. Should the LA be +1 or +2, or should there be one at all? Also, have I left anything out?

And before I even ask for consideration, what is MitP?

endoperez
2006-09-17, 04:38 PM
I tried modeling Gargoyles in D&D a while back, as well. I don't think I did a particularly good job, though.

First, things that I don't think fit the show:

Low Wisdom: Gargoyles had good Spot, and Listen, and Sense Motive, and Hudson had good Survival (he could track down the viking and was supicious about how light the tracks of horses supposedly carrying wounded were). Low Intelligence would fit most gargoyles better.

Glided Flight:
It's Flight, with just a small downside to it. DC 15 Jump check is very easy for a race of Barbarians with STR bonus of +6. Flight is very powerful. It doesn't work.

Fast Healing 5 is very powerful ability, and I don't remember them healing that fast in the show. They had to wait until they transformed to stone before healing. There were few episodes who played on that as a plot element.

LA has to be a lot higher. Much, much, much higher.

Now, a few things:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050106b&page=1

Raptorans have this neat ability called Gliding. They can glide indefinitely, and fly for a few rounds every day before they become fatiqued. The time they can fly depends on their Constitution. This fits how they were described, but not how they worked, in the show.
Raptorans also have Wing-Aided Movement, or +10 racial bonus to Jump checks. It also fits.

And, Gargoyles already exist:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gargoyle.htm

If you don't read the description, it fits almost perfectly. Attacks (Claw, Claw, Bite, Gore) don't fit in theme, but something like Claw, Claw, Slam or Claw, Claw, Tail would. Alignment would be "Usually Lawful Neutral" instead of "Usually Chaotic Evil". The racial hitdie keep Gargoyles from becoming spellcasters, or raging all day. Damage resistance 10/magic also fits. Guns are close enough to magic...
LA +5 hurts, of course. Stone Sleep is as much a weakness as an ability, though, and they don't have true flight, so it'd drop. I don't know how much, exactly; maybe down to a manageable level.
Giving them slow Climb speed would also fit.

My original thread, where everything is covered in heaps and loads of description, but the mechanics don't work that well, is here:
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1150042019

fangthane
2006-09-18, 12:23 PM
Monsters in the Playground (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11557461 87) is an attempt to get some thoughtful and original monsters into a compilation, which is voted on by prior submitters. In a nutshell, anyhow. If you have any further questions, refer to the link or ask Fax Celestis. :)