PDA

View Full Version : Rage + Combat Focus

Dyllan
2009-02-19, 08:40 AM
Do Rage and Combat Focus work together? I know there's nothing in Combat Focus against it, but is does maintaining a Combat Focus require concentration, thus making it impossible during Rage? It's not clear to me from the reading of Combat Focus, but it feels like it should.

Saph
2009-02-19, 08:56 AM
Well, the text for Rage says:

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.

The Combat Focus tree is based off Wisdom rather than Int or Cha, and it doesn't say anything about concentration anywhere in the description that I can see. Combat Focus is also a feat, and Rage explicitly says that you can use any feat except Expertise and item creation/metamagic*.

So I'd say it's fine. The rules as written certainly allow it, and the flavour descriptions don't really seem to conflict, either.

- Saph

*Really, how often is this one going to come up? "Raargh! Thog create cloak of resistance plus two over several days!"

Hal
2009-02-19, 09:29 AM
*Really, how often is this one going to come up? "Raargh! Thog create cloak of resistance plus two over several days!"

Man, that is one angry basketweaver.