PDA

View Full Version : Time stops?

WoDHells
2009-02-19, 10:25 AM
Well, the first thing I thought when I read about time stopping on the island was "well, ok.. but the dragon is not on the island, will time have stopped for her?". On second thought, it could be interpreted that the island and its inhabitants (meaning V, the imp and the fiends) were taken out of time and will be "reinserted" when the deal is done.

To be honest, the first option is the one that came to mind when I read the strip... I AW wrong, aren't I?

BRC
2009-02-19, 10:27 AM
Well, the first thing I thought when I read about time stopping on the island was "well, ok.. but the dragon is not on the island, will time have stopped for her?". On second thought, it could be interpreted that the island and its inhabitants (meaning V, the imp and the fiends) were taken out of time and will be "reinserted" when the deal is done.

To be honest, the first option is the one that came to mind when I read the strip... I AW wrong, aren't I?

It's a "Time Stop" effect, as in the 9th level spell, which stops time for everybody but the caster (Or in this case, the island) for a short period of time.

Kaytara
2009-02-19, 11:34 AM
To be honest, I was surprised V believed them just like that. I thought he'd at least cast Detect Magic or something to check... Although I suppose it should be possible to spot if Time Stop is in effect by the way the waves around the island should have frozen in mid-air.

WoDHells
2009-02-19, 11:42 AM
It's a "Time Stop" effect, as in the 9th level spell, which stops time for everybody but the caster (Or in this case, the island) for a short period of time.

Oh, I see.. Well, not being a D&D player, I failed to grasp that.
Thanks for explaining.
:smallwink:

SoC175
2009-02-19, 11:59 AM
Actually the timestop spell no longer stops time in 3.x. It only makes the caster really fast so to him everything else moves so slowly that it seems as if time had stopped.

Even in 2e when the spell still stopped time, he only did so in a small area. So the world-spanning timestop is a story device and not an actual (A)D&D spell.

BRC
2009-02-19, 12:06 PM
Actually the timestop spell no longer stops time in 3.x. It only makes the caster really fast so to him everything else moves so slowly that it seems as if time had stopped.

Even in 2e when the spell still stopped time, he only did so in a small area. So the world-spanning timestop is a story device and not an actual (A)D&D spell.

The method is different, but the effect is the same.

Raenir Salazar
2009-02-19, 12:39 PM
im fairly certain the effect use in the comic is the "speed up our frame of reference" by so much that it slows down time around them to a stop.

WoDHells
2009-02-19, 01:02 PM
It doesn't need to get too technical really.. What I needed to know was answered, regardless of the specific functionality of the spell.
Thanks guys.
:smallsmile:

Lord_Butters_I
2009-02-19, 01:04 PM
A good way to think of it in real world terms is for everyone affected by the spell (V, Quar, the IFCC) has all their movements accelerated to the exact speed of light. Everything they do, be in walk, talk, or sell souls, is happening so fast that to anyone else it might as well not have happened at all. From the dragon's perspective everything that happens from here until the Time Stop shuts down happened instantaneously.